Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Disney XD coming to Canada on June 1st

Astral Media has announced that it will add Disney XD to its slate of kid chanels on June 1, 2011.
    A spin-off of the Disney Channel, Disney XD mostly airs action-oriented children’s animated television series, with some live-action programming and movies aimed at male viewers age 6 to 14.
    Programming will include movies, short form content, popular Disney series as well as Canadian content. Shows will include the martial arts comedy Kickin’ It, the animated Kick Buttowski – Suburban Daredevil and the Canadian comedy Wingin’ It. Other kid favourites which currently air on Family Channel such as Phineas and Ferb and I’m In The Band will also air on the station.
    In addition to the linear service, Disney XD programming will also be available through dedicated on demand channels and a website at DisneyXD.ca.
    Unlike Disney Junior and Family stations which are commercial free, Disney XD will be advertiser-supported and will run commercials during breaks.
    No word on when Canadians might expect a Canadian version Disney XD HD, a high definition version of XD which launched in the United States last October.

This is Canada, we launch channels in SD only still :)

Here's the official press release: http://www.astral.com/en/press-room/...-across-canada

Eventho the press release is also in french ( http://www.astral.com/fr/salle-de-pr...ee-aux-enfants ), it looks like the channel will be in english only.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Any chance this will be a rebrand of a current channe?

no it will be a brand new channel

Quote Originally Posted by burgoonster View Post
    no it will be a brand new channel
    I am taking it the likes of rogers and bell will pick it up?

The original CRTC licence submission dates back from 2009 as Family Extreme: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-215.htm
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Astral Media vs Corus Entertainment

So lets see...
    Family
    Playhouse Disney(soon Disney Jr.)
    Disney XD(coming in June)
    yup Astral media sure is bringing more Disney to Canada...
    It sort of makes me wonder though if Family would ever be renamed Disney Channel Canada...probbaly or possibly not eh?!!! I grew up on Disney myself and remembered when CBC once had The Wonderful world of Disney on Sunday Nights!!! I miss that for sure!!!

And then I sort of wonder if Corus Entertainment will ever bring on The Hub in Canada to go with their Childrens Services including YTV, Treehouse and Nickelodian...well I dunno but then again we'll never know eh?!!!

The french CBC and the old Radio-Quebec aired both The Wonderful World of Disney movies and cartoons blocks decades ago. French CBC having aired the Disney shows package and movies too. It seems that Astral really wants to monopolised that corporation more than ever. I'm worry since Disney is now targetting girls audiences with their sitcoms and the Disney Animation being more unappealing than in the last 50-60 years.

It sort of makes me wonder though if Family would ever be renamed Disney Channel Canada..
    With the addition of another Disney branded channel, I don't understand why they refuse to re-brand Family as Disney Channel Canada?! I know some will say that Family has been around for many years and is a well known brand but the Disney brand is a stronger brand and more well known, especially with children.

Family is a pay service and back in the day I believe you had to pay extra for it like TMN, so I don't think its as well know as say TSN or MuchMusic. Also, I would think that most kids today would be more familiar with 'Disney' then Family. I don't think money is an issue, they are already spending the dough to license the Disney Jr. and Disney XD names so why not add Disney Channel to the mix?!

Family has not been rebranded because some of the programming that they air is not pulled from the Disney library. Disney Jr, and Disney XD will be all Disney exclusive content (which includes the Canadian programming).

Family has not been rebranded because some of the programming that they air is not pulled from the Disney library
    Are you referring to the foreign programming they air and if so what other channel do they source programming from?!

According to the list of shows posted on their website, most are all from Disney Channel or Disney XD. There is one from Australia and a couple from Nickelodeon- not sure how that is possible since I thought Corus had the exclusive rights to all Nickelodeon content?! 3 shows is hardly reason not to re-brand the channel?!

Family won't rebrand as Disney Channel Canada because that would require higher costs by licensing the name from Disney/ABC. Unless Disney/ABC buys into the company or something like ESPN has done with TSN. In most cases in Canada our broadcaster chose to clone rather than franchise, heck look what happened with NCN and CMT, when NCN was launched it resulted in CMT US being pulled from the cable dials. CMT launched a NAFTA complaint and threatened to pull Canadian artists from their US service, the end result was they ended up owning a percentage of the CMT Canada service.

It's the same reason you don't see TMN rebranding as HBO Canada or SHO Canada, it is a costly venture to undertake and you have to pay big money to use a big US brand name like we're talking, especially if the US brand doesn't own a stake in your company already. And that is if the brand is even interested in selling the rights to the name, HBO Canada is a joint venture between Astral and Corus, but Time Warner still has some pull in the relationship and likely controls branding, etc.

Now if foreign ownership rules change, well then expect some rather interesting changes to take place, especially if the US companies can have majority ownership. There would be a lot of licenses changing hands fairly quickly.

Right now they are franchising sub-channel names like Playhouse Disney and now Disney XD, but the main channel name rights would likely be much more expensive to acquire.

In other parts of the world it is the US parent who is largely running the foreign version of US channels, like SyFy Channel in the UK is owned by NBC Univeral still. Disney Channel International is run by ABC/Disney … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_...(international) .. Countries using English Language are South Africa, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, India, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East, Scandinavia, Baltic states, United Kingdom, Ireland and the Caribbean. So really, Disney Channel may have no interest in franchising their main channel in the one English speaking country where government regulations have kept them locked out to protect a domestic corporation while they have no problem broadcasting to dozens of other countries.
    Last edited by Tripster; 03-14-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Besides, what's in a label anyway when any "US brand" name that gets slapped on a Canadian channel still airs the same old recycled cancon as it did before? Like how many channels do we need to air Daily Planet anyway.
    Not available on Bell TV
    Animal Planet HD
    Science Channel HD
    HDNET
    Speed HD
    Sun TV HD
    Cartoon Net HD
    Travel HD
    OLN HD
    AXS HD
    Encore HD
    Superbowl commercials
    Skinny basic Bell package and internet tv.
    Waiting for BluSky HDTV.....

Family should re-brand to Disney Net if not Disney Channel Canada
    Last edited by jfoley85; 03-26-2011 at 07:07 PM.

As mentioned above it's highly unlikely to happen because of licensing costs and also because Family pulls programming and movies that are outside of the Disney library.

Yes, which is why they could start airing exclusive Disney content in my opion .... pitch the other non-Disney stuff they air to Nickelodeon Canada or YTV... If they re-named their channel Disney Net that's different from the Disney Channel name and I still think they can do it (rebrand to Disney Channel Canada) if they are willing to dish out the bucks.With Disney content and with some of their own CDN content that are not showcased on any other competitor network it could happen.. For instance Wingin it is moving to Disney XD when it launches here and Temple Street produces it and its on Family's schedule. It isn't shown on Disney Channel or Disney XD in the USA...

Just want to note:

The Elephant Princess(on Family) is shown on Disney Channel in India http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Channel_India and they have even shown the movie

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th..._Channel_India

Its also shown on Nickelodeon Channel and on Network Ten in other countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Princess
    Last edited by jfoley85; 03-26-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Zoey 101 has disappeared from Family and Neds Dedclassified school survival guide ended ages ago so pitch it or end it already.....

This is really interesting I think Astral should come with Disney Channel Canada and replace Family but I know it will take a long time probably we should start a petition