Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Netflix and Paramount Reach Multi-Year Premium Pay TV Window Deal in Canada

Netflix, Inc. has announced a new multi-year licensing agreement with Paramount Pictures, a division of Viacom Inc., adding hundreds of new movie titles, including the exclusive subscription television rights to all first-run films, for Canadian Netflix members to watch instantly on their computers and TVs.
    Read More ...

Umm .. did Netflix just steal a big chunk of movies from TMN and MC?? I think so .. ouch! "exclusive subscription television rights to all first-run films" .. oh they're gonna be pissed! .. LOL

I'm glad I switched to netflix and gave up TMN /Superchannel etc.... This is another reason to switch for 7.99 . Awesome!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Read More ...

Umm .. did Netflix just steal a big chunk of movies from TMN and MC?? I think so .. ouch! "exclusive subscription television rights to all first-run films" .. oh they're gonna be pissed! .. LOL
    Was this not one of tmn/mc biggest deals and to lose it that can't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Was this not one of tmn/mc biggest deals and to lose it that can't be good.
    No kidding, losing stuff like Iron Man 2 .. yikes. It spells more disaster for SuperChannel really, most of their big movies were already on Netflix Canada and it likely won't be long before a bunch of their series ends up there (they already carry a nice selection of UK stuff, AMC stuff, etc.)

Now that Netflix is going to bid on movie contracts for Canada that are in the pay-tv window, like I said, ouch! I mean what are TMN and MC going to do? In the US HBO, SHO and Starz are too big and tied to the studios but TMN/MC don't have that arrangement and operated in a monopoly situation for years.

I've said it before, Netflix have found a loophole to essentially reach the Canadian marketplace with a better service. And it will be a hard loophole to close. Oh but you bet Astral and Corus will be taking this to the CRTC, good luck with that. It's too bad Spotlight didn't get the national pay-tv license instead of SuperChannel because supposedly it would have launched as HBO Canada. That would have been interesting.
    Last edited by Tripster; 03-29-2011 at 09:02 PM.

No kidding, losing stuff like Iron Man 2 .. yikes. It spells more disaster for SuperChannel really, most of their big movies were already on Netflix Canada and it likely won't be long before a bunch of their series ends up there (they already carry a nice selection of UK stuff, AMC stuff, etc.)

Now that Netflix is going to bid on movie contracts for Canada that are in the pay-tv window, like I said, ouch! I mean what are TMN and MC going to do? In the US HBO, SHO and Starz are too big and tied to the studios but TMN/MC don't have that arrangement and operated in a monopoly situation for years.

I've said it before, Netflix have found a loophole to essentially reach the Canadian marketplace with a better service. And it will be a hard loophole to close.
    Sad part of this happing now is the decision of whether or not Netflix is a broadcaster and ISPs are a BDU has recently be brought to the supreme court by the union. I have a feeling their going to use this as their argument and try to get netflix kicked out. :(
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Sad part of this happing now is the decision of whether or not Netflix is a broadcaster and ISPs are a BDU has recently be brought to the supreme court by the union. I have a feeling their going to use this as their argument and try to get netflix kicked out. :(
    Yeah this is a surprising move, I mean I could have seen them seeking a contract with Paramount for content but for them to make this move and get exclusive rights during the pay-tv window .. yikes. I get a feeling the studios really aren't happy with the Canadian broadcasters, after all, with little competition there really hasn't been any sort of bidding war for content which has likely kept the prices low for the broadcasters, this move just proved Netflix intends to compete head on with the Canadian pay-tv industry.

Here's another scenario though, what if HBO, SHO and Starz see this as an opportunity to sneak into Canada the same way Netflix is doing, really, would it be that much more expensive for them to outbid TMN/MC for Canadian rights? Probably not. Remember, HBO did want access to the Canadian market and was refused. Right now TMN and MC are only franchising the name and buying content, if online streaming takes off (and it will) then something like HBO Online could become a reality.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Astral and Corus when they got wind of this.
    Last edited by Tripster; 03-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.

I've said it before, Netflix have found a loophole to essentially reach the Canadian marketplace with a better service. And it will be a hard loophole to close. Oh but you bet Astral and Corus will be taking this to the CRTC, good luck with that. It's too bad Spotlight didn't get the national pay-tv license instead of SuperChannel because supposedly it would have launched as HBO Canada. That would have been interesting.
    I could careless about the super channel my concern is with tmn/hbo wil this effect them in any way i am not up to date on what contracts tmn and hbo have with what studios.

Here's another scenario though, what if HBO, SHO and Starz see this as an opportunity to sneak into Canada the same way Netflix is doing, really, would it be that much more expensive for them to outbid TMN/MC for Canadian rights? Probably not. Remember, HBO did want access to the Canadian market and was refused. Right now TMN and MC are only franchising the name and buying content, if online streaming takes off (and it will) then something like HBO Online could become a reality.
    Netflix reduces the bureaucracy between the studios and the viewers. In our traditional model we've had (Studios->Broadcaster->BDU->Viewer). Wtith Netflix you getrid of the Brodcaster and BDU and essently have the studios sell directly to the viewer with Netflix as a broker inbetween. (Studios->Netflix->Viewer).

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Astral and Corus when they got wind of this.
    They're probley already crying to the CRTC on how much this will hurt "Canadian Media" if they can't make money off of something.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

How far does this extend? I understand that Paramount and CBS Corp are both owned by Redstone but are run as different corps? I assume this'll include orig. programming from the Paramount run Epix but not the CBS run Showtime?

If so I can't see it being a big hit to Astral - just fill things up with more programming from the HBO/Showtime catalog.

A lot of new content added recently

I noticed an awful lot of new movies and Tv content have been added already this month . Don't know if it is related to some of the deals they have made recently.