Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144

    Rogers buying 100% of OLN

    Rogers will be buying the remaining interests in OLN from both CTVgm and Versus which will mean Rogers will therefore own 100% of OLN. The deal is expected to close in 2008 pending CRTC approval of course which I'm sure it will.

    I like the news, I think CTVgm owns a bit too many television channels so it means one less for them and I just think it's nice that Versus will not be owning any interest in it anymore just for the sake of 100% Canadian ownership.

    But I'm curious to why CTVgm and Versus would want to sell their interest in the channel when they don't have too. I understand that it is OLN after all and I don't expect it to be the biggest money maker of all the channels but I don't think it's loosing money is it? So if it's not, then why sell it?

  2. #2
    It is losing money.There is only 10 channels not lossing money so that tells you what type of shape our channels are in.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    There has to be more then 10 channels out there that is making money. If theres only 10 then why would broadcasters keep launching channels and pay so much for buying all these new channels. There is over 20 English analogue channels out there and if analogue channels can't even make money then there really is no hope for the digital channels. Our broadcasting industry has got to be in a better shape then that.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    There has to be more then 10 channels out there that is making money. If theres only 10 then why would broadcasters keep launching channels and pay so much for buying all these new channels. There is over 20 English analogue channels out there and if analogue channels can't even make money then there really is no hope for the digital channels. Our broadcasting industry has got to be in a better shape then that.
    Making money
    1)Showcase.
    2)Tv Tropolis.
    3)Slice.
    4)National Geographic.
    5)The Comedy Network.
    6)Nhl Network.
    7)The Score.
    8)Sportsnet.
    9)Family Channal.
    10)Tsn.

    Breaking even.
    1)Aptn.
    2)Scream.
    3)Discovery.
    4)Mtv.
    5)Teletoon.
    6)History.
    7)Showcase action.
    8)Leafs tv.
    10)Raptors tv.
    11)Ytv.
    12)Ifc.
    13)Drive in classics.
    14)Rds.
    15)The fightnetwork.

    Lossing Money.
    1)Oln.
    2)Suntv.
    3)Bravo.
    4)Star.
    5)Showcase diva.
    6)Tv Land.
    7)Space.

    There have been very very few canadian only digital channels launched in the past 5 years.Most of the channels that have been launched are american.
    Last edited by reidjr; 11-20-2007 at 01:38 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    So channels like CBC Newsworld, HGTV, Food Network, W Network and even MuchMusic of all is not even making money? And even Bravo! and SPACE, apparently two popular channels are loosing money as well. I duno, I find that hard to believe.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    So channels like CBC Newsworld, HGTV, Food Network, W Network and even MuchMusic of all is not even making money? And even Bravo! and SPACE, apparently two popular channels are loosing money as well. I duno, I find that hard to believe.
    1)Ctv is not a digital specialty channel.

    2)Foodnetwork and hgtv do dray good numbers.However they both are around 90,000 subs.Take the nhlnetwork that has about 200,000 subs.

    3)Bravo & space are just hanging on by a string.Very few subs and changes are needed asap.

    4)Muchmusic is around 67,000 subs not nearly good enough.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    I duno where you're getting your numbers, but they are obviously wrong. MuchMusic only has 67, 000 subscribers in Canada? MuchMusic is available in millions of households across the country. Same with HGTV and Food Network.

    And I didn't say anything about CTV, I did say CBC Newsworld though, if that's what you are talking about.
    Last edited by musimax; 11-20-2007 at 03:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I duno where you're getting your numbers, but they are obviously wrong. MuchMusic only has 67, 000 subscribers in Canada? MuchMusic is available in millions of households across the country. Same with HGTV and Food Network.

    And I didn't say anything about CTV, I did say CBC Newsworld though, if that's what you are talking about.
    I think you a bit confused.While there avabile in millions of house holds millions do not sub to them.Each is in a package that you have to sub to.Just to add to that take rogers the largest cable provider only has 18,000 subbing to the music pack.My numbers may be a bit off but not to much.
    Last edited by reidjr; 11-20-2007 at 05:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    I think you're just talking about digital distribution here. I'm talking about in general whether it's through digital or analogue distribution.

    I don't know, maybe it's true that MuchMusic is only subscribed through digital means to 67, 000 households by either a package or subscribed to individually. But most people who subscribe to MuchMusic, subscribe to it through a basic or full cable package through analogue cable and that's how it gets into millions of households.

    Every household that MuchMusic airs in or most any other cable channel, they get a subscription fee for that, whether it's part of a digital cable package or if it's through basic cable.

    Basically what I'm trying to say is... if you have just basic cable or a full tier package and MuchMusic is one of those channels that you get, then you still technically subscribe to MuchMusic and they still get a fee for that subscription. Cable channels don't only get a fee from a "theme package" from digital cable, they get a fee from however you subscribe to the service.

    MuchMusic is not loosing money, it is still a profitable service. It gets good enough ratings, it targets a demographic that advertisers like and it is available in millions of households which it gets fa fee for.

    I find it very hard to believe that of all the cable channels that we have, there are only 10 that are making money. That is obviously not the case.

    And even as a side note... the NHL Network has much more subscribers then 200, 000. It is available in I believe a little over a million households at least. I'm sorry, but where ever you get your numbers, they are way off.
    Last edited by musimax; 11-20-2007 at 06:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I think you're just talking about digital distribution here. I'm talking about in general whether it's through digital or analogue distribution.

    I don't know, maybe it's true that MuchMusic is only subscribed through digital means to 67, 000 households by either a package or subscribed to individually. But most people who subscribe to MuchMusic, subscribe to it through a basic or full cable package through analogue cable and that's how it gets into millions of households.

    Every household that MuchMusic airs in or most any other cable channel, they get a subscription fee for that, whether it's part of a digital cable package or if it's through basic cable.

    Basically what I'm trying to say is... if you have just basic cable or a full tier package and MuchMusic is one of those channels that you get, then you still technically subscribe to MuchMusic and they still get a fee for that subscription. Cable channels don't only get a fee from a "theme package" from digital cable, they get a fee from however you subscribe to the service.

    MuchMusic is not loosing money, it is still a profitable service. It gets good enough ratings, it targets a demographic that advertisers like and it is available in millions of households which it gets fa fee for.

    I find it very hard to believe that of all the cable channels that we have, there are only 10 that are making money. That is obviously not the case.
    At the end of last year only 10 channals were making a profit.With 68,000 subs that is direct subs not subbing to the basic pack and getting the channal included.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
    At the end of last year only 10 channals were making a profit.With 68,000 subs that is direct subs not subbing to the basic pack and getting the channal included.
    But that's what I'm saying, it doesn't matter if it's a direct subscription or if it's an indirect subscription that you get in a package or basic cable, it still counts as a subscription and they still get a fee for that.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    But that's what I'm saying, it doesn't matter if it's a direct subscription or if it's an indirect subscription that you get in a package or basic cable, it still counts as a subscription and they still get a fee for that.
    With rogers and expressvu/ thats about to chnage.Muchmusic/food/hgtv will not be offered in the basic pack.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    I have Rogers and I live in Southern Ontario and neither of those channels are apart of the basic package, I'm not sure what it's officially called but they're included in the "full tier" analogue cable. But we still technically subscribe to them and they all get a subscription fee.
    Last edited by musimax; 11-20-2007 at 07:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Guys,

    Sort to but into your conversation/argument, whatever it is, but your info is worthless without any sources to back it up.

    Musimax, do you have any source for this info about Rogers buying OLN, not implying its not true but a source would be good just to confirm.

    reidjr,

    Your claims about which channels are and which are not making money mean nothing to me with any source to back them up. If they are 'facts' and not 'opinions' then why don't you post where you got this info from.

    I agree with musimax, most channels are sold in packages and that is how most people subscribe to them so I find it very hard to believe that most if not all of the so-called analogue channels are not making money. Everytime someone subscribes to a package with MuchMusic in it, Much gets money regardless of whether you want that channel or will ever watch it. Unless there are alot of people out their with basic cable (which I doubt), most of these channels are doing fine. If they are spending too much money on programming then that is a different story but in terms of subscriber revenue the following channels should be raking it in:

    Bravo
    Discovery Channel
    Family
    HGTV
    MuchMusic
    MuchMoreMusic
    Showcase
    Slice
    Rogers Sportsnet
    Teletoon
    Treehouse
    TSN
    The Comedy Network
    The Score
    The Food Network
    W Network
    YTV

    Quite a few of these channels are available in the basic package on cable/satellite which means everyone subscribes to them (since the basic package is manditory) which means they are getting money from all subs. Now it depends on how much $/subscriber each channel gets but my guess is they should all be doing well, maybe not big profits but some sort of profit. As for the diginets, those are newer and the programming on alot of them is subpar at best so I don't think the numbers are high there. Perhaps a few are doing okay but I think most are losing money big time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Mystery TV is making money, CanWest said Mystery TV is the #1 digital channel. TVtropolis is also making money, TVTropolis is one of the top analog channels.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    Heres one of the links on the news Rogers is buying OLN: http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/071116/roge..._oln.html?.v=1

    Sorry if it sounds a little heated in this thread tho, no arguments, just a good ole' fashioned tv talk, it's all good here! :)

    But again, I would assume most of our channels are making money, at least the analogue ones are. Even some of the digital channels are making a profit, even if it's a small one.
    Last edited by musimax; 11-22-2007 at 07:46 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJunkie5 View Post
    Guys,

    Sort to but into your conversation/argument, whatever it is, but your info is worthless without any sources to back it up.

    Musimax, do you have any source for this info about Rogers buying OLN, not implying its not true but a source would be good just to confirm.

    reidjr,

    Your claims about which channels are and which are not making money mean nothing to me with any source to back them up. If they are 'facts' and not 'opinions' then why don't you post where you got this info from.

    I agree with musimax, most channels are sold in packages and that is how most people subscribe to them so I find it very hard to believe that most if not all of the so-called analogue channels are not making money. Everytime someone subscribes to a package with MuchMusic in it, Much gets money regardless of whether you want that channel or will ever watch it. Unless there are alot of people out their with basic cable (which I doubt), most of these channels are doing fine. If they are spending too much money on programming then that is a different story but in terms of subscriber revenue the following channels should be raking it in:

    Bravo
    Discovery Channel
    Family
    HGTV
    MuchMusic
    MuchMoreMusic
    Showcase
    Slice
    Rogers Sportsnet
    Teletoon
    Treehouse
    TSN
    The Comedy Network
    The Score
    The Food Network
    W Network
    YTV

    Quite a few of these channels are available in the basic package on cable/satellite which means everyone subscribes to them (since the basic package is manditory) which means they are getting money from all subs. Now it depends on how much $/subscriber each channel gets but my guess is they should all be doing well, maybe not big profits but some sort of profit. As for the diginets, those are newer and the programming on alot of them is subpar at best so I don't think the numbers are high there. Perhaps a few are doing okay but I think most are losing money big time.
    You ask redijr for a source yet you don't post one.The list you psoted is not a purly canadian.Take tsn its 50% owned by espn.The rest of doing alright i guess nothing to get excited about.Comedy central will liekly start beeing picked up by canadian rogers/expresvu soon as well.That could lead to the end of conedy central.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    I don't know where he got his sources but as for the comedy network comment you posted that's not true. Comedy Central has no plans on coming to Canada, in fact they just signed a deal with CTV a few months ago which gives CTV/The Comedy Network access to all of Comedy Central's programming.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I don't know where he got his sources but as for the comedy network comment you posted that's not true. Comedy Central has no plans on coming to Canada, in fact they just signed a deal with CTV a few months ago which gives CTV/The Comedy Network access to all of Comedy Central's programming.
    Don't you find it odd condedy central is approved by the crtc it has been for years.Yet no one has picked it up.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Nobody has picked it up because Comedy Central has a deal with The Comedy Network. What's the point of having 2 channels of the exact same stuff.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •