Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7

    PlayHouse Dinsey

    Launches nov 30th on rogers and expressvu.Its free if you sub to the family channel.

  2. #2
    Here is the website for those interested: www.playhousedisneycanada.ca

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    I'm not really sure what the point of Family launching this channel is... it just seems to me as a waste of money because it's just another channel that they have to program (purchase programs and maybe produce) and give a licensing fee to use the name and I don't think there will a whole lot more people subscribing to Family just because of Playhouse Disney. So where is the benefit of this? Unless they get another subscription fee for the multiplex channel, which I'm not sure if they do or not. To me that seems like the only good reason to launch it, but if you don't get a sub fee for a multiplex channel, then I don't see a benefit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    They wont need alot of programs to purchase because they created the channel thanks to a programming deal with Disney. I can't see them launching something if they are not making money on it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    I think you will see a huge amount of people sign up for this channel.

    1)It is geared to the younger crowd.BUt it aslo has some shows that will appeal to the older crowd as well.

    2)THey have a huge library of shows they can access as it part of the disney family.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    But they still have to pay for these programs that they put on the channel, even if they did strike a deal with Disney and there is also the Canadian shows they will have to pay for, many of which come from the CBC.

    But the only reason I can really see for Family to launch Playhouse Disney is in hopes that more people will subscribe to Family just to get this channel, but I honestly don't think that many people will sign just for it. We already have Treehouse TV and there are other channels out there that carry programs for preschoolers. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    But they still have to pay for these programs that they put on the channel, even if they did strike a deal with Disney and there is also the Canadian shows they will have to pay for, many of which come from the CBC.

    But the only reason I can really see for Family to launch Playhouse Disney is in hopes that more people will subscribe to Family just to get this channel, but I honestly don't think that many people will sign just for it. We already have Treehouse TV and there are other channels out there that carry programs for preschoolers. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
    1)I really can;t see treehouse beeing around much longer.With babytv1 & 2 and now disneyplay house.

    2)This is a pure disney channel not a canadian knock off.So now they don't have to pay for the shows from dsiney.There will be no shows from cbc on this channel.Maybe down the road but not any time soon.

    3)This channel while does have some preschoolers but shows for older kids.

    4)There is alot of shows on this channel not avaible in canada.Now astra media could have paid to get this shows and air them on family.But there is a massive demand for this channel.So there will have the joint effort.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    1)I really can;t see treehouse beeing around much longer.With babytv1 & 2 and now disneyplay house.
    I'm pretty sure Treehouse TV is safe and is going to be around for a long time. I don't think Corus will shut it down or cable companies will stop carrying the channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    2)This is a pure disney channel not a canadian knock off.So now they don't have to pay for the shows from dsiney.There will be no shows from cbc on this channel.Maybe down the road but not any time soon.
    This isn't the American channel, this is a Canadian channel, it's a multiplex channel of Family, just like MMore is a multiplex of The Movie Network. And it's also a 24 hour channel and the American Playhouse Disney, is really just a programming block on Disney Channel, not a separate 24 hour channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    3)This channel while does have some preschoolers but shows for older kids.
    What shows for older kids is this channel going to have? As far as I can see it's only going to have series for "younger children". I don't exactly know what age range Family considers "younger children" but what I take from it is, preschool aged children.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    4)There is alot of shows on this channel not avaible in canada.Now astra media could have paid to get this shows and air them on family.But there is a massive demand for this channel.So there will have the joint effort.
    Personally I don't really see the massive demand for this channel, but who knows, maybe there is, but I just don't see it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I'm pretty sure Treehouse TV is safe and is going to be around for a long time. I don't think Corus will shut it down or cable companies will stop carrying the channel.



    This isn't the American channel, this is a Canadian channel, it's a multiplex channel of Family, just like MMore is a multiplex of The Movie Network. And it's also a 24 hour channel and the American Playhouse Disney, is really just a programming block on Disney Channel, not a separate 24 hour channel.



    What shows for older kids is this channel going to have? As far as I can see it's only going to have series for "younger children". I don't exactly know what age range Family considers "younger children" but what I take from it is, preschool aged children.



    Personally I don't really see the massive demand for this channel, but who knows, maybe there is, but I just don't see it.
    No this is a american channel.Dsiney has been pushing for some time to get this channel into canada.Disney in the states is a full cahnnel of its own.Rogers has very to zero room left for new channels.So it is expected they will start cho[[ing channels from there line up.Its much same as muchmusic if you sign up for the vip pack you get a whack of channels.The family channel & disney are part of that pack.There is people that don't see mtv/music channel have a huge viewers but there not to bad off.
    Last edited by snowball; 11-23-2007 at 05:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    I'm sorry, but it is a Canadian channel. It's a multiplex of Family. Not sure where you got that info, but it's wrong, it is going to be a Canadian channel.

    And it's obviously not an American channel because Playhouse Disney in the US is only a programming block on the regular Disney Channel, it's not a 24 hour channel, this Canadian channel is going to be a 24 hour channel.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I'm sorry, but it is a Canadian channel. It's a multiplex of Family. Not sure where you got that info, but it's wrong, it is going to be a Canadian channel.

    And it's obviously not an American channel because Playhouse Disney in the US is only a programming block on the regular Disney Channel, it's not a 24 hour channel, this Canadian channel is going to be a 24 hour channel.
    Look i am not going to get in to this huge debate over this.Do a google and find out for your self.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    1. How about you check the Playhouse Disney USA schedule.... It is not a 24 hour channel, it is a programming block on the Disney Channel, it runs from 6 am to 12 pm. check here: http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/disney...r_id=playhouse

    This is a 24 hour channel, so by default right there, it's not the American channel.

    2. You said there wasn't any CBC series on this channel, check here, second paragraph: http://groups.google.com.sg/group/re...0b17cde19c846a


    3. The channel is actually referred to as Playhouse Disney Canada, and it's a multiplex channel of Family, a foreign channel cannot be a multiplex channel of a Canadian channel.

    This is my last comment about this, there's no point in me repeating myself over and over again, it's pretty obvious that it's a Canadian channel.
    Last edited by musimax; 11-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    1. How about you check the Playhouse Disney USA schedule.... It is not a 24 hour channel, it is a programming block on the Disney Channel, it runs from 6 am to 12 pm. check here: http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/disney...r_id=playhouse

    This is a 24 hour channel, so by default right there, it's not the American channel.

    2. You said there wasn't any CBC series on this channel, check here, second paragraph: http://groups.google.com.sg/group/re...0b17cde19c846a


    3. The channel is actually referred to as Playhouse Disney Canada, and it's a multiplex channel of Family, a foreign channel cannot be a multiplex channel of a Canadian channel.

    This is my last comment about this, there's no point in me repeating myself over and over again, it's pretty obvious that it's a Canadian channel.
    Your right sort of.While its is not a true american channel it more or less is.Astra media does not pay for any for any of the shows from disney.Astra owns 50% and disney owns 50%.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Sorry, I have to comment on this again, I just can't resist. :p

    But it is still technically considered a Canadian channel, just like Discovery Health Canada is partially owned by Discovery Communications in the US, it's still a Canadian channel tho. It's just as Canadian as any other Canadian channel out there.

    But, I haven't seen any evidence showing that Disney Channel USA is going to own any part of Playhouse Disney Canada. And I actually find that hard to believe that they will own any part of it as well.... this isn't a completely separate channel that they had to apply and get a separate license for, this is a multiplex channel of Family, so therefore this is just an extension of Family which Disney Channel USA owns none of. So, as far as I know, I don't think it's possible or even allowed that Disney can own any part of this channel without owning a part of Family, which they don't. They can license the brand to them, but I don't think they can own any part of it tho.

  15. #15
    Its CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

    There, now hopefully that convinced you, if not here is some more prove for ya:

    http://tv.astral.com/highlights/playhouse/index.html

    See the description below the video and on the right side it says 'CANADIAN original series'. Why would Disney bring Playhouse Disney to Canada and call it Playhouse Disney Canada?? Also why would an American channel air Canadian programs... unless it wasn't an American channel but a Canadian channel!!

    Good try musimax but its a lost cause. Either this person is a few cards short of a full deck or is just trying to give you a hard time, I suspect a bit of both?! The proof is staring them straight in the face and they still refuse to believe, what more can you say or do? I guess if a tornado was bearing down on them they would probably say, nah its just a thunder storm, meanwhile the funnel cloud is just about to suck them up- ha ha! :D

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Who knows, but I was beginning to believe they were just trying to give me a hard time because.... I mean.... c'mon now! How more obvious can it really be, especially thinking it's the actual American channel when the American channel is only a 6 hour programming block on Disney Channel.

    But anyways, for the record and for the final time........

    IT'S A CANADIAN CHANNEL!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    323

    Created an account to say...

    Musimax is very much correct. This is the first time The Walt Disney Company has licensed their brand name "Disney" to a channel that they don't have majority control.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_%28TV_channel%29

    And you are also very much correct in using the proper word, "multiplex". This is I guess a form of grandfathering and allowed Astral to create the channel w/out CRTC approval.

    Playhouse Disney Canada
    A Canadian version of Playhouse Disney launched as a multiplex channel of Family on November 30, 2007. As with its Disney-owned counterparts in the rest of the world, it is a commercial-free channel carrying programs aimed at preschool-aged children, 24 hours a day. Unlike the flagship feed, Family, that has both an East and West coast feed, Playhouse Disney has only one national feed operating from the Eastern Time Zone.

    Because Family is licensed as a premium service, no additional licence is required to launch the channel. Existing subscribers of Family will automatically be eligible to receive Playhouse Disney free of charge, subject to carriage by their cable or satellite provider; however, it is not available on a standalone basis. The use of a premium service licence also means that the channel can compete directly with Canada's existing preschooler-aimed specialty channel, Treehouse TV, despite the format protection guidelines for specialty channels

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •