Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Upping signal strengh post transition?

I've read a bit here and there that (some?) stations are planning on increasing their signals post transition and I was wondering if there's a database of which stations (specifically in the GTA) may be planning on doing this..

Don't have the numbers but pretty much every station in Toronto is changing ERP. Many are also changing broadcast frequencies as well.

That's good. Thanks for the fyi.

Perhaps I'll finally be able to pull in Global, City and Sun as well as a stronger signal for CTV and the OMNIs.

Tho if Sun stays with right wing clap trap I'd actually like not being able to receive them :p

Any more information on this? At least in my area City Toronto still doesn't come in and Global and Sun News (ugh) are *just* coming in after some antenna tweaks a cpl months ago.

It'll be pretty sad if the Canadian nets stay low compared to some of the power houses coming out of America.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/DT.html

Look up Hamilton and Toronto. OP indicates what the stations are currently operating at, AU is what its going to be operating at after the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/DT.html

Look up Hamilton and Toronto. OP indicates what the stations are currently operating at, AU is what its going to be operating at after the transition.

Thanks for the link!

Am I reading that wrong or is CFTO actually cutting their strength in half post transition? Aside from that all looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    Am I reading that wrong or is CFTO actually cutting their strength in half post transition? Aside from that all looked nice.
    CFTO is moving from UHF to their current VHF channel, 9 after the transition. CTV (and CHCH) made a boneheaded decision by remaining on VHF after the transition. US stations on VHF pretty much had to apply to increase their ERP right after the transition due massive complaints from angry viewers. People couldn't get their stations reliably.

Here's a detailed documentation of stations on VHF making changes in the US.
    http://www.rabbitears.info/vhf.php
    Last edited by Emarsee; 08-14-2011 at 10:12 PM.

CFTO is moving from UHF to their current VHF channel, 9 after the transition. CTV (and CHCH) made a boneheaded decision by remaining on VHF after the transition. US stations on VHF pretty much had to apply to increase their ERP right after the transition due massive complaints from angry viewers. People couldn't get their stations reliably.
    Brutal. Looks like I'll be gaining Citytv and losing CFTO (and perhaps CHCH not that it really matters).

Iirc they need to provide OTA in most markets in order to qualify for simsubs....hopefully, if so, a complaint to the CRTC when the time comes will have merit. Although, as you say, since they know this'll happen I don't have high hopes.

Iirc they need to provide OTA in most markets in order to qualify for simsubs....hopefully, if so, a complaint to the CRTC when the time comes will have merit. Although, as you say, since they know this'll happen I don't have high hopes.
    I doubt the CRTC even cares about the simsub issue anymore since people are constantly complaining about them. People living within the Grade B contour get simsubs. Geography be damned, because the CRTC thinks Canada is flat...

CHNU-TV is a perfect example of this. Most people in Vancouver can't even get the station, yet it receives simsubs like any other station in the market.
    CHNU-DT's contour according to the CRTC/Zoomer Media:
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/public/broad/a...010-1446-4.zip

Real life coverage:
    http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1279457&map=Y

I doubt the CRTC even cares about the simsub issue anymore since people are constantly complaining about them.
    Hmmm...true....guess I figured that, since people are always complaining about simsubs simply existing, stations not complying with with the terms they're allowed to have simsubs for might bring interest.

People living within the Grade B contour get simsubs. Geography be damned, because the CRTC thinks Canada is flat...

CHNU-TV is a perfect example of this. Most people in Vancouver can't even get the station, yet it receives simsubs like any other station in the market.
    CHNU-DT's contour according to the CRTC/Zoomer Media:
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/public/broad/a...010-1446-4.zip

Real life coverage:
    http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1279457&map=Y
    Well no loss since Jon Stewart can be watched online with a VPN and the rest of their schedule is either a waste or "whatever" so I can live without them like I lived without City.

Hey Gord, are you able to get CHCH-DT now that it's on channel 11?

Hey Gord, are you able to get CHCH-DT now that it's on channel 11?
    CHCH usually dukes it out with CBLT to be my strongest station (ranging from the 50's to early 70's on my OTA PVR's signal strength meter) but my understanding is, right now, CHCH is a virtual channel 11 with them actually being on a physical 18.

CHCH usually dukes it out with CBLT to be my strongest station (ranging from the 50's to early 70's on my OTA PVR's signal strength meter) but my understanding is, right now, CHCH is a virtual channel 11 with them actually being on a physical 18.
    They moved to physical 11 this morning and there are reports on DHC that the station is hard to get outside of the immediate Hamilton area.

They moved to physical 11 this morning and there are reports on DHC that the station is hard to get outside of the immediate Hamilton area.
    Interesting! I just checked it now and it's dead on both my PVR's (different antennas). I even checked the analog signal out of curiosity and it's dead too so I take it they killed analog as well.

Well, although 60 Minutes doesn't matter like The Daily Show, if they're fine with this situation that's fine - worst case I know the two PBS stations and WNLO CW23 will continue to be fine so even if every Canadian station tries to pull this BS it's their loss in my book.

Just checked the CHCH thread on DHC and found this interesting post and my reply:
    Origionally posted by: DrSat
    Tried to post a message on the CHCH Facebook page about the early transition of the Hamilton transmitter and that most people would have to do a rescan on their TV and guess what, it was deleted a few minutes after! I wonder how much money CHCH is getting from the BDU's to avoid promoting anything to do with their OTA transmitters!
    Well although the only thing I made a point of watching on CHCH was 60 Minutes it's been a slice.

Guess it's time to forget about you existing since I'm not getting cable to watch rolling news in the day and CW shows at night.

You next CTV?

Just checked the CHCH thread on DHC and found this interesting post and my reply:
    CHCH's Facebook page is set to display by default posts from "CHCH TV". You must click on the "Most Recent" link to display them all. I see all 3 messages from Serge Cormier. His messages hasn't been deleted.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Brutal. Looks like I'll be gaining Citytv and losing CFTO (and perhaps CHCH not that it really matters).

A complaint will do nothing since they don't need an OTA transmitter to "qualify" for simulcasts, they just need one for simulcasts/protecting exclusive program rights to be REQUIRED.

If you want an example, shortly after Shaw purchased Canwest Shaw Direct started simulcasting/protecting exclusive program rights for Global stations across Canada. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    A complaint will do nothing since they don't need an OTA transmitter to "qualify" for simulcasts, they just need one for simulcasts/protecting exclusive program rights to be REQUIRED.

If you want an example, shortly after Shaw purchased Canwest Shaw Direct started simulcasting/protecting exclusive program rights for Global stations across Canada. :)
    Are you making a point here or just playing word semantics (aka: a distinction without a difference) to feel special?

Not that I care, since I only use OTA for the Buffalo stations to avoid cable simsubs, but I haven't been able to receive CHCH OTA at all since the switch over. I was able to receive their previous analog 11 and digital 18 signals. And I can still receive the CITS/CTS signal from Hamilton, and CFTO's and even occasionally Rochester WHEC's VHF signal, so the problem is the weak CHCH signal, not my antenna.