Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Spectrum crisis

Spectrum crisis

Saw a PSA on my local NBC station this morning. The american government wants to take away parts of the spectrum currently reserved for television broadcast and auction off existing local TV stations (expropriate) for wireless use.

They made a website that explains it all:
    http://www.thefutureoftv.org
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Saw a PSA on my local NBC station this morning. The american government wants to take away parts of the spectrum currently reserved for television broadcast and auction off existing local TV stations (expropriate) for wireless use.

They made a website that explains it all:
    http://www.thefutureoftv.org

This is been know for quite some time. Any channels above UHF 52 will no longer be available in Canada or the US; a 2nd time Citytv Toronto had to move down the dial because of Cell Phones .

Channels 2 through 6 (I believe 7 as well) will also be removed for Television use. Their use is still being decided, but its more likely they'll be used for FM Radio in major cities that no longer can add any new stations on the current allocated spectrum.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    This is been know for quite some time. Any channels above UHF 52 will no longer be available in Canada or the US; a 2nd time Citytv Toronto had to move down the dial because of Cell Phones .
    As far as I'm aware, this is in addition to the channels they removed as part of the transition to digital. The FCC is planning to take 120 MHz of spectrum reserved for TV and reallocating that for wireless broadband. This would mean removing 20 channels from the broadcasters and this might cause trouble in large markets with a lot of stations such as LA or NYC.

If they got rid of the lower VHF band and reallocate it for other purposes, such as FM, this would mean that 14 UHF channels would have to be removed. Expect Canada to follow along if the US plans to remove any channels.

In 1983, they removed channels 70-83 (806-890 Mhz) from the TV spectrum to allow analog cell service.

In 2009, they removed channels 52-69 (698-806 Mhz) from the TV spectrum for more cell services.

Now they want to steal more spectrum from TV spectrum.

How?

One part of the FCC plan that is getting a lot of attention proposes spectrum auctions that would allow TV broadcasters to give up their channels and be compensated by sharing in some of the auction proceeds. For those stations that do not participate in the auctions, they may be forced to move to new channels or even share channels with other stations. This causes great concern because it could result in viewers losing some of their current channels and other services – like local TV news, multicast side channels and free, local TV on your smartphone.
    http://www.thefutureoftv.org/spectru...eTalkAbout.asp

Yikes!
    There are currently 44 OTA positions (7 to 36, 38 to 51) left of the dial for broadcast. If I take for example New York City, they have 17 OTA full-power broadcast stations. Not bad, but since you can receive OTA signals for more than 80 miles away (130 km) and you add all surrounding OTA stations around NYC (including New Jersey), your spectrum is full, so small cities around NYC have to use low-power OTA stations in order to not create interferences.

Take away another part of the TV spectrum, and some stations will be forced to go offline or to broadcast in 480i as sub-digital channels. And or what? More cellphone usage.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 07-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    As far as I'm aware, this is in addition to the channels they removed as part of the transition to digital. The FCC is planning to take 120 MHz of spectrum reserved for TV and reallocating that for wireless broadband. This would mean removing 20 channels from the broadcasters and this might cause trouble in large markets with a lot of stations such as LA or NYC.

If they got rid of the lower VHF band and reallocate it for other purposes, such as FM, this would mean that 14 UHF channels would have to be removed. Expect Canada to follow along if the US plans to remove any channels.
    The CRTC has only talk about reusing channels 5 & 6 for FM radio in major cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver where there isn't any room left on the dial for new FM stations. Its why CBC Radio One Vancouver is still on the AM band and CBC Toronto will not move back to channel 6 after DTV transition is complete.

I don't know what the U.S. side is planing to-do with its VHF space. My best guess is they may reserve it for Mobile TV transmissions (ATSC M/H).

Yikes!
    There are currently 44 UHF positions (7 to 36, 38 to 51) left of the dial for broadcast. If I take for example New York City, they have 17 OTA full-power broadcast stations. Not bad, but since you can receive OTA signals for more than 80 miles away (130 km) and you add all surrounding OTA stations around NYC (including New Jersey), your spectrum is full, so small cities around NYC have to use low-power OTA stations in order to not create interferences.
    Only channels 52-69 (698-806 Mhz) will be used for cell phones. Anything lower and it becomes unstable for data. It should also note that UHF in North America starts on channel 18, not 7, and excluding channel 37 you only have 32 channels available UHF band available. Considerably less if your near the border.

However not all VHF channels are going to FM. CHCH for example will move back to channel 11 once the digital conversion is complete.

Take away another part of the TV spectrum, and some stations will be forced to go offline or to broadcast in 480i as sub-digital channels. And or what? More cellphone usage.
    Its Simple; iPhones, Blackberrys and Android's make money, bunny ears do not.

It should also note that UHF in North America starts on channel 18, not 7, and excluding channel 37 you only have 32 channels available UHF band available.
    Huh? I don't follow you here.

Montrealers and South-of-Quebec can get WPTZ-DT (NBC) on UHF 14, and this september CKMI-DT will use UHF 15. Ottawa's CJMT-DT-2 (Omni) will use UHF 17.

As you mentionned, Hi-VHF (7 to 13) are and will be used for DTV, so it's still 44 positions on the dial available for television.

Edit: I edited my previous message, I used the wrong acronym.

The CRTC has only talk about reusing channels 5 & 6 for FM radio in major cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver where there isn't any room left on the dial for new FM stations. Its why CBC Radio One Vancouver is still on the AM band and CBC Toronto will not move back to channel 6 after DTV transition is complete.
    CBC Radio One is available on 88.1 FM in Vancouver.

I wouldn't mind if the FCC or Industry Canada decides to take away the low VHF spectrum and reallocate to other purposes. The FM band is pretty crowded, and perhaps the expanded FM band would provide an incentive for AM stations to move to FM.

Channel 6 is being used for CIII Paris and Ottawa after the transition. Both stations are close to/in a large city.

I don't know what the U.S. side is planing to-do with its VHF space. My best guess is they may reserve it for Mobile TV transmissions (ATSC M/H).
    Low VHF is terrible for ATSC broadcasts. Given how much trouble people have receiving low VHF stations, it wouldn't really make sense to use it for ATSC M/H

CBC Radio One is available on 88.1 FM in Vancouver.
    Last time I was over there they where still on AM...It's been awhile :o

I wouldn't mind if the FCC or Industry Canada decides to take away the low VHF spectrum and reallocate to other purposes. The FM band is pretty crowded, and perhaps the expanded FM band would provide an incentive for AM stations to move to FM.
    That seems to be the plan, but they don't know if it will be used for digital radio, or FM with "HD Radio" which is nothing more than a very expensive version of current FM Radio.

Low VHF is terrible for ATSC broadcasts. Given how much trouble people have receiving low VHF stations, it wouldn't really make sense to use it for ATSC M/H
    So FM/Digital Radio is the more likely candidate for the reclaimed VHF space.