Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Setanta Sports to become 'Sportsnet World'

Yet another Sportsnet channel is coming down the pipe (#6). Rogers has announced that they have acquired complete control of Setanta Sports Canada (they now own 100%) and will be re-branding the channel as 'Sportsnet World' in October.

These guys are really going all out with this Sportsnet brand- a magazine is launching in the fall as well. The article referenced below does not give any details on programming but does mention that they will continue to air the programming they have been airing (namely soccer & rubgy). It is speculated that they will add some cricket matches to the schedule. I also read on another board that they recently acquired the rights to the Scottish Premier League (matches will air live).

The channel will continue as a pay service, which means those interested will have to pay through the nose to subscribe to this channel (gouging customers is the Rogers way after all ;)).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2110590/

What I don't get about this is that if Rogers bought the channel out and now owns 100% of the channel, then why does the CRTC ownership chart now say Setanta's previous stake is called MLM Management Limited (which is non-Canadian, so it can't be Rogers)? And it was just updated July 6.

So what's the deal, do they own it all or not?

BTW, not a fan of the Rogers Sportsnet World brand. Ugh, another Sportsnet branded channel. I'd rather Setanta Sports.

Sportsnet has also picked up CONCACAF Champions League rights for Sportsnet and Setanta. Coverage started tonight with a TFC game on Setanta, using a Sportsnet production/graphics.

Rogers vs Bell

Like holy wow...It almost seems like both Rogers and Bell are vieing to become Canada's Sports Leaders when it comes to Sports Channel's...with the addition to Rogers SportsNet Family of Channel...

Rogers Sportsnet East
    Rogers Sportsnet Ontario
    Rogers SportsNet West
    Rogers Sportsnet Pacific
    Rogers Sportsnet One
    Rogers Sporsnet Flames
    Rogers SportsNet Oilers
    Rogers SportsNet Sen's

and let us not forget Sportsnet Radio The FAN RADIO where available

now comes a newly rebranded addition to the Rogers Sportsnet Family

Rogers SportsNet World come October 2011

And just look at TSN's Family of Channels

TSN The Sports Network
    TSN 2
    TSN Alternate
    ESPN Classic's Canada
    NHL Network
    and The TEAM RADIO where available, TSN RADIO 1050 Toronto, SportsRadio 1290 Winnipeg!!!

and Now I ask myself what Next Sportsnews Channel TSNews or Rogers SportsnetNews to go up in arms with The Score?!!! I guess only time'll tell!!!

and this'll mean big time competition to Shaw owned FOX Sportsworld Canada!!!

AFAIK, Sportsnet One Vancouver Hockey, Flames, Oilers, Senators and TSN Habs are on-air only when there's a game, rest of the time it's a blank image.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Like holy wow...It almost seems like both Rogers and Bell are vieing to become Canada's Sports Leaders when it comes to Sports Channel's...with the addition to Rogers SportsNet Family of Channel...

Rogers Sportsnet East
    Rogers Sportsnet Ontario
    Rogers SportsNet West
    Rogers Sportsnet Pacific
    Rogers Sportsnet One
    Rogers Sporsnet Flames
    Rogers SportsNet Oilers
    Rogers SportsNet Sen's

and let us not forget Sportsnet Radio The FAN RADIO where available

now comes a newly rebranded addition to the Rogers Sportsnet Family

Rogers SportsNet World come October 2011

And just look at TSN's Family of Channels

TSN The Sports Network
    TSN 2
    TSN Alternate
    ESPN Classic's Canada
    NHL Network
    and The TEAM RADIO where available, TSN RADIO 1050 Toronto, SportsRadio 1290 Winnipeg!!!

and Now I ask myself what Next Sportsnews Channel TSNews or Rogers SportsnetNews to go up in arms with The Score?!!! I guess only time'll tell!!!

and this'll mean big time competition to Shaw owned FOX Sportsworld Canada!!!
    Fox sportsworld broadcasts the smaller leagues so i don't think it will mean big time competition.

And they broadcast a grand total of 3 games per week from the major European leagues (and those leagues are now ranked #4 and #5 by UEFA). Plus their production values/picture quality for anything they don't pick up from FSC/FS+ is terrible.

GolTV could be in trouble if theScore ever decides they want La Liga rights.

GolTV could be in trouble if theScore ever decides they want La Liga rights.
    You forgot about Telelatino, I am fairly certain that they will make a play to get these rights when they come up for renewal for Euroworld Sport. I think we may see a bidding war between MLSE & TLN as La Liga is arguably the 'jewel in the crown' for GolTV and they will probably do whatever they can to retain the rights. If they lose the Spanish league then this channel is definitely in trouble.

Fox sportsworld broadcasts the smaller leagues so i don't think it will mean big time competition.
    This channel should have folded a long time ago, why exactly do they keep it going?!

FWIW, something I just remembered. La Liga sells North American rights as a whole (at least they did last time). If they choose to do this again, GolTV or FSWC would be the only two places La Liga could end up. I think theScore would be interested in La Liga (3 matches a week: Barcelona, Real Madrid and a Sunday 11am ET game). They would probably just sublease their remaining Serie A games to Fox Sports and TLN for the one season they have left on that contract if they picked up La Liga rights.

FWIW, something I just remembered. La Liga sells North American rights as a whole (at least they did last time). If they choose to do this again, GolTV or FSWC would be the only two places La Liga could end up.
    Not necessarily, Telelatino or Rogers could end up with the rights even if La Liga goes the route you mentioned. In this instance, one of the US channels would end up with the rights and TLN, Rogers or The Score could sub-license the rights to matches for Canada from that broadcaster.

I guess we will have to wait and see as the current deal has one year remaining. I am not sure when they will be awarding the rights for the next cycle which begins with the 2012-2013 season?!

But if GolTV US won rights, would they really give Canadian rights to anyone other than GolTV Canada? I doubt it. It is probably part of their deal that GolTV Canada automatically gets anything that GolTV US has North American rights to.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of what could happen if FOX or ESPN acquired the rights. They could potentially sell them to the highest bidder but then again if ESPN gets the rights you will probably see matches on TSN/TSN2.

GolTV might be priced out of the bidding this time around if La Liga increases their asking price?! Notice that for the current contract they do not have the rights to all matches, they sub-licensed some out to ESPN, presumably to help pay for the costs of acquiring the rights. MLSE here in Canada only aired whatever GolTV US aired until they acquired the rights to more matches.

Either way we probably wouldn't see many actual matches on ESPN/ESPN2 (they only have room for the 20 they air now). I think they are quite happy to split them with GolTV. I think another split between ESPN3.com and GolTV is most likely in the States.