Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1

    CBC video player

    For some months, presumably since some update or other, I have been unable to get CBC Player to play videos: they appear to load but never actually start running. I have been through ALL the troubleshooting suggestions on the CBC and Adobe Flash Player websites, with no luck. A Google search shows that many other people cannot get CBC player to work either, but I haven't seen any solution to the problem posted. I have no trouble with the video players on the CTV and TVO sites, which also use Flash Player.

    So what is different about CBC player? Of course it's impossible to get any technical help from the CBC, which is ridiculous enough in itself. Does anyone know the secret to getting this thing to work???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by ste46co View Post
    For some months, presumably since some update or other, I have been unable to get CBC Player to play videos: they appear to load but never actually start running. I have been through ALL the troubleshooting suggestions on the CBC and Adobe Flash Player websites, with no luck. A Google search shows that many other people cannot get CBC player to work either, but I haven't seen any solution to the problem posted. I have no trouble with the video players on the CTV and TVO sites, which also use Flash Player.

    So what is different about CBC player? Of course it's impossible to get any technical help from the CBC, which is ridiculous enough in itself. Does anyone know the secret to getting this thing to work???
    CBC updated their player a few months ago to block ad blocker add-ons, you have to disable it in order to watch the videos. Its design that if you want to watch their videos, you'll have to watch their ads first. Don't be surprise that CTV or Global updating their site with this feature in the near future.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Good bye CBC

    I have been trying to fix this glitch for several days. 18 hours to be exact.
    I have had it with the CBC and their stupid changes. From uninstalling to installing- changing firefox browsers - adobe this and that. Nothing on the CBC is worth this much aggravation. I will never understand why people fix things that are not broken. If you are intentionally trying to lose viewers you could not have done a better job. Am I angry? ope just even. To hell with online CBC.:(

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ste46co View Post
    For some months, presumably since some update or other, I have been unable to get CBC Player to play videos: they appear to load but never actually start running. I have been through ALL the troubleshooting suggestions on the CBC and Adobe Flash Player websites, with no luck. A Google search shows that many other people cannot get CBC player to work either, but I haven't seen any solution to the problem posted. I have no trouble with the video players on the CTV and TVO sites, which also use Flash Player.

    So what is different about CBC player? Of course it's impossible to get any technical help from the CBC, which is ridiculous enough in itself. Does anyone know the secret to getting this thing to work???
    :p I just threw a rant about the CBC player. After 18 or so unsuccessful hours I managed to fix the problem of not being able to view shows on the CBC.
    I renamed the host file ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) to Oldhost and Voila it works. Only problem is Am I to rename that file every time I wanna watch something online from the CBC? That's ridiculous!
    I don't think so. If anyone knows which entry needs to be removed I would sincerely appreciate it. Sorry for the rant but well what would you all do?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    CBC updated their player a few months ago to block ad blocker add-ons, you have to disable it in order to watch the videos. Its design that if you want to watch their videos, you'll have to watch their ads first. Don't be surprise that CTV or Global updating their site with this feature in the near future.
    Would you believe I've been trying for nearly two years to find an answer to this very question? All other web video sites work with ease on all my machines except CBC's. This is the first suggestion that seems as though it may work.

    Clearly, with this peculiar ad blocker policy, CBC is targeting the least computer-savvy users as their audience. And they're flaunting their indifference to a taxpayer funded service supposedly intended to benefit all taxpayers.

    Long live CBC, long live reverse elitism.

    Phlemon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2

    CBC Video Player solution for Firefox 6.0.2 with AdBlock Plus add-on

    Quote Originally Posted by Roder51 View Post
    :p I just threw a rant about the CBC player. After 18 or so unsuccessful hours I managed to fix the problem of not being able to view shows on the CBC.
    I renamed the host file ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) to Oldhost and Voila it works. Only problem is Am I to rename that file every time I wanna watch something online from the CBC?
    Here's a solution I stumbled on that has, so far, worked well.

    First, I'm running Firefox 6.0.2 with the AdBlock Plus add-on. My solution may not work for other browsers or Firefox versions.

    I'm also managing my hosts file with the free utility HostsMan, available for download here. It enables easy deactivation of the hosts file.

    Once you've installed HostsMan, run it before you try to use the CBC Player. Then click on the H button to disable host files while you're at the CBC site. It will change from green to red.

    Also, click on the AdBlock Plus (ABP) icon/menu item and disable it for the CBC page where you want to use CBC Player. Still in ABP, go to Options, then make sure "synch AdBlock Plus settings" is not checked.

    Go to the page where the CBC Player will be running and reload that page.

    And that's all it took for streaming audio and video to start working again on CBC sites ... after more than a year of not being able to listen to or view them.

    YMMV. Good luck.

    P.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Icon11 CBC Player issues Firefox

    Thanks for this post, I downloaded the small "Hostsman" it does the trick, I had been having issues with the CBC sites too. Now playing.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phlemon View Post
    Here's a solution I stumbled on that has, so far, worked well.

    First, I'm running Firefox 6.0.2 with the AdBlock Plus add-on. My solution may not work for other browsers or Firefox versions.

    I'm also managing my hosts file with the free utility HostsMan, available for download here. It enables easy deactivation of the hosts file.

    Once you've installed HostsMan, run it before you try to use the CBC Player. Then click on the H button to disable host files while you're at the CBC site. It will change from green to red.

    Also, click on the AdBlock Plus (ABP) icon/menu item and disable it for the CBC page where you want to use CBC Player. Still in ABP, go to Options, then make sure "synch AdBlock Plus settings" is not checked.

    Go to the page where the CBC Player will be running and reload that page.

    And that's all it took for streaming audio and video to start working again on CBC sites ... after more than a year of not being able to listen to or view them.

    YMMV. Good luck.

    P.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152
    I missed the premiere episode of Red Widow on Sunday and attempted to Watch it on CTV's website. A message came up stating that it was loading but it never did. Just adverts for CSI and Criminal Minds.

    Does anyone know if or when a repeat of Sunday's premiere episode of Red Window will air on tv?


    Quote Originally Posted by ste46co View Post
    For some months, presumably since some update or other, I have been unable to get CBC Player to play videos: they appear to load but never actually start running. I have been through ALL the troubleshooting suggestions on the CBC and Adobe Flash Player websites, with no luck. A Google search shows that many other people cannot get CBC player to work either, but I haven't seen any solution to the problem posted. I have no trouble with the video players on the CTV and TVO sites, which also use Flash Player.

    So what is different about CBC player? Of course it's impossible to get any technical help from the CBC, which is ridiculous enough in itself. Does anyone know the secret to getting this thing to work???
    Last edited by Avonregal; 03-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152
    Does anyone know if CBC has fixed the problem with their viewer because I avoid watching anything on it until it is fixed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1
    I have been in a dialogue with Julie at CBC for the last couple of weeks and have received the same advice as everyone else without any positive outcome. One thing I did discover by going through the archives of "the National" was that I could view everything up to 21 July 2013 and nothing thereafter.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •