Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sun News Ratings

Is there any update on sun news ratings.

A few weeks ago, they claimed that they were beating CBCNN and CTVNC during one of their shows, IIRC it was Byline for ONE show. Not a peep from them ever since. I'm not really willing to believe the numbers reported by Sun until I see the numbers directly from the BBM.

The press release said 80,000 viewers for Byline one night. They''re very selective about what they release, but they're not going to lie about the numbers.

You know what the sad thing is, Quebecor didn't just send out a press release, they put out a press release but sent it out as a news article from QMI which appeared in SUN "news" papers.

Here is the press release which was posted as an article.
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNew...61646-qmi.html

They even made a graph to show their ratings (for ONE DAY)
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNew...unNewsPage.pdf

IT WAS ONE DAY. These are not usual ratings for SUN News Network, which is why they put out the press release (eh I mean news article) in the first place. What they didn't tell you is both programs lost more than half their audience the very next day. ( SOURCE: http://www.toronto.com/blog/post/696...e-night-wonder )

Another thing to look at, nowhere in the press release does it mention how they did in the Adult 25-54 demographic. This is a big red flag because the 25-54 demographic is the key news demographic for advertisers. SUN News Network may have a requirement to only hire idiots but even they know that the 25-54 demographic is the key selling demo, if they did beat CTV News Channel or CBC News Network in this demographic, or if they even performed well in this demographic it certainly would have been included in the press release.

By the way, I don't ever recall CTV or Global bringing up CBC's Government funding in a ratings release, then again SUN is the same company that changed the Bell logo to "Bull" and put it as their profile picture on the network's facebook page.

This is also the same company that sent Ezra Levant down to the CBC building to harass CBC employees. Seriously, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-z8NXqYm4

What other company goes down to their "competitors" (although I guess SUN doesn't have any actual competitors since they are the only propaganda organization in Canada) building to harass their employees? If SUN did have competitors I'm sure they wouldn't be very happy if one of them sent a cameracrew and asshole like Ezra Levant down to harass their pathetic employees (who sold their journalistic sole just to be on TV)

Why hasn't this channel died yet? I seriously hope Quebecor goes the way of Canwest over funding such a stupid venture.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Rogers has already dropped the channel in Ottawa. I'm looking forward to Rogers dropping the channel in both London and Toronto when the digital transmitters shut down. I highly doubt that the channel could survive without being made available to the majority of those in the GTA. Seriously, does Quebecor expect people to simply subscribe to Shaw Direct? Give me a break. The channel practically runs on GTA advertising dollars, look at how many commercials they have for a local GTA business. If the best advertisers they can get is Dr. Ho, they should really start to rethink their business strategy.

CTV News Channel and CBC News Network rarely (if at all) shows any condensed infomercials on their channels. Even BNN, which they are supposed to be beating gets better advertisers than the Sun.

Quebecor seems to be hell bent on attacking the CBC for being a "waste on Canadian taxpayers". The Canadian budget for 2011 is about $275 billion. CBC costs $1.1 billion. That's only 0.04% of the total budget of Canada.

The channel simply gives a bad name to conservatism in Canada. Looking forward to the Sun to set on Quebecor.
    Last edited by Emarsee; 09-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    although I guess SUN doesn't have any actual competitors since they are the only propaganda organization in Canada
    Have you ever picked up a copy of the Vancouver Province? No different than the Toronto Sun - and a former Canwest property.

was it just canwest`s newspapers that were conservative or is global news conservative too.

Quote Originally Posted by This_Just_In View Post
    was it just canwest`s newspapers that were conservative or is global news conservative too.
    Both Global TV and their Canwest papers were historically viewed as right wing. The new owners Shaw are also openly conservative.

In fact Dwight Duncon recently openly complained about the right wing media and specifically referenced Sun News/Media, Global and PostMedia.

It was pretty pathetic to see Lesie Roberts (sitting next to his former Ontario Conservative leader co-host John Tory) on Focus Ontario frown and say that Shaw's laywers tell him that Duncon's statements were "actionable".

Say what you want about Sun Media but at least they don't pretend to be something they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by tofino View Post
    Have you ever picked up a copy of the Vancouver Province? No different than the Toronto Sun - and a former Canwest property.
    No, Vancouver Province is like its sister paper the National Post; news with a mix of conservative opinions in-between. Toronto Sun is exactly like Sun News Network in that all their news is gossip, and none of them ever make money.

I would say Canwest had a varying degree of conservationism across their media properties with Global News being close to centre and National Post being farthest right.

As for Sun News, like Fox News, they have either fallen off the political spectrum, or are on a new political dimension that we have yet to discover. However political scientists have all agreed that this new form of political belief that they spew out is not measurable with our current system of Left, Right or Centre.

I think I will have to agree with Mayhem here. As far as tabloid go, The Province is actually pretty tame in comparison to the tabloids by Sun Media and News Corporation. The rest of Postmedia's newspapers are broadsheets and therefore the quality of the articles on The Province are typically much higher than those by Sun Media. The Sun Media papers are trash, much like the English tabloids they're modelled after.

The National Post pretty much proves you can be a conservative publication while at the same time, maintain journalistic integrity.

Global News isn't biased towards either side. CTV, Global, and CBC are accused of being biased for both the right and left all the time by people with strong right or left wing views. What some people who have strong left/right views don't seem to understand is that neither side is perfect. All political parties have positive and negative things about them and just because a newscast points out one of those negatives doesn't mean they are biased. This is what is so bad about actual biased networks like FOX News and SUN News Network, they have got people to accept this delusional view that the mainstream media is biased just because they point out the negatives of the right instead of telling right wing viewers what they want to hear. It's the same situation with people on the left. When people with strong left or right wing views complain about bias it usually means the network is doing a good job, because they are supposed to report the news, not tell a certain amount of people what they want to hear.

SUN News is the only example of a biased news network in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    I think I will have to agree with Mayhem here. As far as tabloid go, The Province is actually pretty tame in comparison to the tabloids by Sun Media and News Corporation. The rest of Postmedia's newspapers are broadsheets and therefore the quality of the articles on The Province are typically much higher than those by Sun Media. The Sun Media papers are trash, much like the English tabloids they're modelled after.

The National Post pretty much proves you can be a conservative publication while at the same time, maintain journalistic integrity.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    As for Sun News, like Fox News, they have either fallen off the political spectrum, or are on a new political dimension that we have yet to discover. However political scientists have all agreed that this new form of political belief that they spew out is not measurable with our current system of Left, Right or Centre.
    I respectfully disagree. When the Tea Party North Reform Party/Canadian Alliance absorbed the old PC party this new ultra right political paradigm became the right wing.

Just like how the Tea Party members who were elected in America in the last election has been able to have John Bonner shift the Republicans to the far right recently.

It may not be measurable on an academic level but the 'old right' really doesn't exist anymore therefore the 'new right' shifts into their place by default.

Again I need to respectfully disagree. When any news org shifts either right or left it is incompatible with being journalism and moves to more a broad definition of 'reporting'.

Mind you I actually like ideologically based journalism but I wouldn't for a second consider anybody in Canada to be on par with impartial journalistic integrity that the CP has.

For the record my complaints against Global (overall) and PostMedia being right wing but being to cowardly to admit it also extends to the the left wing Toronto Star which still pretends like it doesn't have an ideological position. If they actually 'came out of the closet' like Sun Media does for the right (or Keith Olbermann and Jon Stewart does in America for the left) I'd have a lot more respect for them and would actually pay for their product instead of just grabbing RSS feeds.

Also the McGuinty Liberals and Dwight Duncon are hardly 'left wing' so if someone of his stature is starting to openly complain about the right wing bias in the supposed 'impartial' media from Global and PostMedia that's pause for concern for those who do want impartial news.

In anndendum for those who would content we don't have a problem with an abnormal amount of right wing media here's a segment from a great article by Lawrence Martin (hardly a left wing, tree hugging, hippy):

In the media, the Harper superiority can hardly be overstated. Among the country’s major media, the NDP, incredibly enough, does not have a single message supporter unless one counts the Toronto Star, which is traditionally Liberal. The country’s media proprietors are hardly fans of left-leaning ideology. By and large their sympathies reside with the Conservatives.
    Two huge chains, Sun Media and Postmedia, are strongly conservative. The two national newspapers, the National Post and the Globe and Mail, are conservative. Maclean’s is run by a conservative. AM radio is largely right wing.
    http://ipolitics.ca/2011/05/20/lawre...minister-ever/

Oddly enough he doesn't reference televised news but with his right wing countdown I have no doubt Global would be there as well if he had.

Whatever biases that CTV or Global has is completely benign to the biases offered by Sun Media. News should remain objective, and for the most part Global and CTV are actually doing a pretty good job.

Here you have an opinion piece by a Sun columnist calling Dalton McGuinty a liar and how Ontarians should welcoming Tim Hudak like the next messiah. In fact, they admit in this video that Sun Media is trying to do everything they can to defeat McGuinty.
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/s.../1173061609001
    Why the hell would anyone consider them a news organization when their goal is bash and defeat their opponent?

Whatever biases that CTV or Global has is completely benign to the biases offered by Sun Media. News should remain objective, and for the most part Global and CTV are actually doing a pretty good job.

Here you have an opinion piece by a Sun columnist calling Dalton McGuinty a liar and how Ontarians should welcoming Tim Hudak like the next messiah. In fact, they admit in this video that Sun Media is trying to do everything they can to defeat McGuinty.
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/s.../1173061609001
    Why the hell would anyone consider them a news organization when their goal is bash and defeat their opponent?
    I'm going to put myself in the weird position of defending Sun News (sort of).

I'd contend what Sun News is doing openly is what most of the news services in Canada are doing either behind the scenes or tweaking their newscasts at the right time to go over the top to be biased.

The Dion incident on CTV is a perfect example of going biased at the right time to alter the democratic vote and then sliding back to being impartial.

During the election before that with Paul Martin I saw a piece on CTV National News on prisoners voting and, of course days before election, they ended the segment with a creepy prisoner walking away from a prison voting booth and then looking right into the camera and saying while smiling "I'm voting Liberal" before giving the camera a thumbs up.

Same bias as Sun News but dolled out at *just* the right time in a small amount. If anything I respect Sun News more - at least they're not pretending to be something they're not.

As an aside I should note, that of course, this was under the previous ownership of CTV by Woodbridge/Thompson Family who now runs the Globe and Mail so I sincerely hope Bell runs things on a more impartial level.

I have found CTV Toronto's coverage of the Ontario election to be quality work so far and it's telling that Dwight Duncon didn't include CTV in his outing of right wing media like he did with Sun News/Global TV etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    I'm going to put myself in the weird position of defending Sun News (sort of).

I'd contend what Sun News is doing openly is what most of the news services in Canada are doing either behind the scenes or tweaking their newscasts at the right time to go over the top to be biased.
    The problem with Sun News is that there isn't any news, even Fox News laces their lineup with a real news story or two, Sun is all opinion, and nothing but opinion. It should be called Sun Talk to better reflect what their advertising, because having mindless dribble and calling it news is disgraceful to real journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    As an aside I should note, that of course, this was under the previous ownership of CTV by Woodbridge/Thompson Family who now runs the Globe and Mail so I sincerely hope Bell runs things on a more impartial level.
    The Thompson Family has a know history not to personally interfere with their news divisions, the Dion and Paul Martin incidents where a mid-management decisions as attempts to boost ratings. CTV may be number one half-hour national news on their main network, but they get their ass handed to them by the CBC when you compare CTV News Channel with CBC News Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The problem with Sun News is that there isn't any news, even Fox News laces their lineup with a real news story or two, Sun is all opinion, and nothing but opinion. It should be called Sun Talk.
    Sun News has news programming in the daytime. The schedule on their web site even identifies which shows are news and which are talk.

By the way, they are steaming live again.