Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,784

    SRC & CBC now in 720P

    When regional SRC/CBC stations went digital, their picture quality was reduced to 720P, except for Montreal and Toronto.

    Since yesterday night, both SRC & CBC Montreal OTA unfortunately went 720P too, but kept the 1080i ratio on Vidéotron.

    Apparently, this spares them some bandwidth that will be used for ATSC/M so you can watch SRC/CBC with a mobile.

    Idiots. There was a problem with shutting down CBC retransmitter in Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Saguenay, and shutting down SRC retransmitters in Calgary and a few other places and they still managed to keep analog service in those areas. When asked about multiplexing an SD feed of CBC/SRC within the digital SRC/CBC feed, they said they won't do it because it will affect the main channel's picture quality. Next thing you know, they reduce picture quality to 720P. What the hell...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    123
    ABC and FOX transmit in 720p in the US because sports looks better in that format compared to 1080i ie) the interlacing from 1080i causes the action to be fuzzy compared to 720p. Maybe that's another reason why CBC decided to switch to 720p?

    And in any event, if CBC broadcasts its signal in 720p at 19 mBits/s, there's no room for a digital subchannel. They have to reduce the bitrate to 15 mBits/s before they can start to cram SRC on there.
    Last edited by ED001; 09-17-2011 at 12:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ED001 View Post
    ABC and FOX transmit in 720p in the US because sports looks better in that format compared to 1080i ie) the interlacing from 1080i causes the action to be fuzzy compared to 720p. Maybe that's another reason why CBC decided to switch to 720p?

    And in any event, if CBC broadcasts its signal in 720p at 19 mBits/s, there's no room for a digital subchannel. They have to reduce the bitrate to 15 mBits/s before they can start to cram SRC on there.
    1080i/60 is de-interlaced to 1080p/30 and my opinion 720p/60 is less desirable than a 1080p/30 picture.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Apparently, this spares them some bandwidth that will be used for ATSC/M so you can watch SRC/CBC with a mobile
    If they're putting this out unencrypted so devices with mobile tuners can receive them for free I'm actually supportive of this since CTV is selling a mobile sub to CTV/CTV2 and some other channels for $5 for 5GBs as well as creating a cable TV style tier service where you can buy HBO for another $5/5 GBs but only if you get the basic package first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    If they're putting this out unencrypted so devices with mobile tuners can receive them for free I'm actually supportive of this since CTV is selling a mobile sub to CTV/CTV2 and some other channels for $5 for 5GBs as well as creating a cable TV style tier service where you can buy HBO for another $5/5 GBs but only if you get the basic package first.
    If your cellphone or handheld is equiped with a ATSC-M/H tuner, I don't see the point in paying Bhell to access material you can get for free OTA.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •