Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    By the way, that cartt link from post #14 requires a membership...
    Does this work?
    http://mlvb.net/www.cartt.ca/news/Fu...ble-conversion
    Anyway, he said the tier 3 channels would be removed from Rogers analogue service in Ontario during the last part of 2012 (though some are still there well into 2013), and the rest of basic, tier 1 and 2 would remain for "several years", although I suppose that doesn't necessarily preclude them moving channels into or out of those tiers.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    Yup, that link works.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I think Rogers will be slowly remove ALL specialty channels from analogue, leaving only the basic package. Analogue is in the process of being phased out, like it or not- digital is the future.
    New television sets can receive high definition digital cable television without the need of an digital box. However Rogers, like every other cable company in North America, doesn't utilize the ATSC 1.0 standard for digital cable because it doesn't allow cable companies to collect metrics on shows you watch wheres digital cable boxes they can. Hence why they want everyone to switch off analog and to a digital cable box.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    New television sets can receive high definition digital cable television without the need of an digital box. However Rogers, like every other cable company in North America, doesn't utilize the ATSC 1.0 standard for digital cable because it doesn't allow cable companies to collect metrics on shows you watch wheres digital cable boxes they can. Hence why they want everyone to switch off analog and to a digital cable box.
    ATSC on cable is a waste of resources, as it allows 19.4 Mbps.
    Almost all HD television sets with integrated tuner can decode Clear-QAM (unencrypted) which allows up to 38.8 Mbps (double the ATSC) and their actual decoders can also use.

    Over Vidéotron, all we get on Clear-QAM are the barker channels and FM radio stations. Regardless the subscription, everyone get Global on analog channel 3, but if you want the HD channel, you gotta take the digital box basic service 20$ + 3$ network fees + 3$ HD network fees !
    At the same time, Global HD can be received for free with an antenna in Montreal, Quebec and Sherbrooke. Go figure.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    ATSC on cable is a waste of resources, as it allows 19.4 Mbps.
    Almost all HD television sets with integrated tuner can decode Clear-QAM (unencrypted) which allows up to 38.8 Mbps (double the ATSC) and their actual decoders can also use.
    I should have clarified that QAM256 is what I was referring to, and yes I know the ATSC standard specifies 16VSB not QAM256 for digital cable, however most people just assume its part of the standard because of its wide spread adoption in televisions along side the use of 8VSB for OTA broadcasts.

    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Over Vidéotron, all we get on Clear-QAM are the barker channels and FM radio stations. Regardless the subscription, everyone get Global on analog channel 3, but if you want the HD channel, you gotta take the digital box basic service 20$ + 3$ network fees + 3$ HD network fees !
    At the same time, Global HD can be received for free with an antenna in Montreal, Quebec and Sherbrooke. Go figure.
    Rogers did have clear digital QAM up to 2007, but dropped it shortly after. Most what remains on Rogers Clear-QAM is nameless mutiplexed radio channels, loading screens for VOD services and a random clear HD channel now and again.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    Those digital adapters that Rogers uses are apparently one-way devices. You can't order PPV or use on-demand services unless you have a 2-way digital box ... at least that's what I've read.

    I'm not sure, but Rogers might not be able to know what you're watching if you only use a one-way digital adapter device instead of the fancier 2-way digital boxes.

    Besides, since HD is gaining popularity, getting customers to abandon SD analog signals isn't something that Rogers really has to force by removing many analog SD channels.

    Gaining bandwidth and gaining more control over extra outlets are two primary perks for reducing analog distribution.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Those digital adapters that Rogers uses are apparently one-way devices. You can't order PPV or use on-demand services unless you have a 2-way digital box ... at least that's what I've read.

    I'm not sure, but Rogers might not be able to know what you're watching if you only use a one-way digital adapter device instead of the fancier 2-way digital boxes.
    Just because it doesn't have PPV or VOD services, doesn't mean it can't communicate. The digital converter that Rogers deploys (Cisco DTA50) does have to authenticate that the cable service is active, check for firmware updates and even update the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Besides, since HD is gaining popularity, getting customers to abandon SD analog signals isn't something that Rogers really has to force by removing many analog SD channels.
    The Cisco DTA50 digital converters are only useful when the subscribers television in question doesn't support QAM256. All newer televisions support QAM256 already. With QAM256 you can transmit HD programming to subscribers without the need of an digital converter.


    Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Gaining bandwidth and gaining more control over extra outlets are two primary perks for reducing analog distribution.
    Rogers already transmits over Digital QAM256 for SD and HD programming. The idea of giving out digital converters when your subscriber base already has digital tuners doesn't make any sense.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Rogers already transmits over Digital QAM256 for SD and HD programming. The idea of giving out digital converters when your subscriber base already has digital tuners doesn't make any sense.
    Depend on your usage. You don't need a full bidirectional terminal for a basement TV rarely used for the occasional hockey game, a guest bedroom or that small 13" screen in the laundry room. Keeps you company, but when the channels you need are digital only, an adapter is preferable to a terminal.

    Some providers like Vidéotron charges 4$ for the 2nd terminal in the account, or 6$ for 3 terminals or more. It's ridiculous.
    When I was living alone, I ran a long RG-59 cable from the standard terminal's cable output in the living room to the bedroom. Can't do that anymore with HD, so I switched to antenna.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    Though the Toronto area seems to have avoided getting hit by any of the May 23rd analogue channel removals or re-positioning, some areas like Pinewood, Ajax have lost BBC World News and Spike to digital box only ... OLN was moved to the analogue-safe channel 37, while AMC moved to Spike's former position of analogue-safe channel 32.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-25-2013 at 04:17 AM.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Depend on your usage. You don't need a full bidirectional terminal for a basement TV rarely used for the occasional hockey game, a guest bedroom or that small 13" screen in the laundry room. Keeps you company, but when the channels you need are digital only, an adapter is preferable to a terminal.
    The digital adapters that Rogers provides requires its own remote as it doesn't work with the television internal turner and only will give the consumer the original analog lineup. Digital only channels won't be available unless you upgrade to the full terminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Can't do that anymore with HD, so I switched to antenna.
    Ditto, I switched to antenna when I move into my condo, I get 16 HD channel (not including sub channels) and that includes the hard to get CHCH channel.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    The Toronto area has now lost BBC World and Spike to digital box-only reception.

    AMC is now on analogue ch. 32 and OLN is now on analogue ch. 37.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463

    Icon4 Analogue audio problems

    Perhaps even worse than the loss of certain analogue channels is the lack of analogue-audio quality control. It's now worse than ever before!

    In the past, whenever I noticed audio problems with some of Rogers' analogue channels, I would call them and get nowhere fast. They would say that they don't have the analogue hooked up since they were using a digital box. Lame excuse, but if the channel was Canadian, I would then call the actual station instead (TSN fixed a Rogers right-channel-dominant analogue audio problem within 30 minutes of my call - TSN said they would call Rogers because the problem was not on TSN's end, even though Rogers failed to fix the same problem for at least a month - TSN was always good at getting Rogers to fix any problems). So, if you have Rogers, and notice analogue audio problems that you want to get fixed, you also might have to call the actual stations to complain, and then they will hopefully call Rogers to get the problems fixed.

    FAULTY analogue audio channels:

    NOTE: Since I don't have a digital box (or even a digital adapter), I can't check the audio quality of the digital box versions for the many problem channels, but whenever possible, I checked the OTA version of the following channels to confirm that it was Rogers at fault for the analogue audio problems of the following channels:

    Global (analogue ch. 3) = Slight right channel dominant.

    CBC (06) = Loud audio that is obviously "bleeding" or in the red. It may even be mono audio because I don't hear any surround sound.

    CTV (08) = Right channel dominant! Hey, balance your damn audio!

    CBC French (12) = Right channel dominant!

    OMNI 2 (14) = Right channel dominant!

    Much More (36) = Bleeding MONO audio (and no surround obviously) ... this is ridiculous!

    OLN (37) = Bleeding audio (might even be mono, but I haven't watched it enough to be sure).

    Slice (41) = Right channel dominant.

    HGTV (46) = Right channel dominant.

    The Shopping Channel (95) = Right channel dominant.

    Vision (96) = Bleeding audio (might even be mono, but I haven't watched it enough to be sure).
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,048
    Is Rogers going to leave other American channels like A&E, TLC, and CNN where they are on analogue service, while they remove Canadian channels like The Comedy Network, TheScore, etc.?

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    I would move TLC (34) to digital box-only and move The Score from 53 to 34.

    It's hard to imagine an analogue lineup without CNN and A&E.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152
    I wonder why they did not advise us on our cable bills that they were making these changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    The Toronto area has now lost BBC World and Spike to digital box-only reception.

    AMC is now on analogue ch. 32 and OLN is now on analogue ch. 37.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    Many people did get warned via the mail, so perhaps your letter was lost, never sent, or the warning was hard to spot within one of your bills. The people who were warned of the changes certainly complained about it, but many were caught by surprise by the change and only complained the day that the changes were made.

    The good news is that as of tonight, the analogue audio problems that I posted about have all been fixed. Last night, the audio problems were still there, so I'm surprised that Rogers actually fixed all the channels so quickly.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463
    Toronto (and other regions) has lost the following analogue channels to digital adapter/box only:

    History (ch. 43)

    HGTV (46)

    TVtropolis (54)

    And Orangeville, Caledon and Grand Valley lost SPACE (ch. 55 in those regions).
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,048
    Rogers in Toronto has surprisingly dropped TheScore from analog only a week before its rebranding as Sportsnet 360, along with Space, and now has CP24 available in HD for digital HD subscribers.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,048
    It looks like Family channel on 51 is for now the only channel remaining on Rogers Toronto analogue service in what I assume to be tier 3 from ch. 43-58, with The Comedy Network and BNN now removed.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 08-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152
    Does anyone know when or if they will be moving other channels from analog to digital?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •