Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Global sucks monkey balls (fall 2011 edition)

New season, more screw ups.

Global still runs their auto-insert-a-snipe machine a minute after a minute into the 2nd segment of the show, which for most of CBS shows is the time where on-screen guests stars are credited. Choose another friggin time to show your 6/49 and Lotto Max snipes, goddamnit! This is friggin' annoying.

Next annoying thing is a simsub over a 10pm NBC show. On Global after the last segment, there's a 3-minutes advertisement break, then the in-house voice-over invites you to watch Survivor on Global (80% of the time it's Survivor, pick another show for god's sake!) over muted 4:3 studios logos. Then the original closing credits is reduced to a tiny unreadable screen while the announcer tells you that the following preview is sponsored by Leon... but it's not a preview for the-show-that-just-ended's next week promo, it's the preview for another show on Global.

The simsub ends as the unrelated preview hasn't finished yet, and the NBC local newscaster are already mid-sentence. This is because NBC's local headline news starts at 10:59:45.

So, let's recap, Global makes me wait 3 minutes for the preview of another show that I don't give a sh*t about, doesn't let me read who the small role guests were, and scraps NBC's local news introduction.

Worthless piece of sh*tty network. It's only value this season is in pre-release of NCIS and Kitchen Nightmares, and the HD broadcast of the CW's Ringer (to those who don't have access to WGN HD).
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Most Canadian networks are annoying worthless pieces of sh!t.

This is what The Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors looked like on Global (in simsub over Fox HD) this year. What an horror!

Couldn't they wait 15 lousy seconds? C'mon!

Attachment 43
    Attachment 44

Hope you enjoyed the episode anyways.

And their bad promo and snipes placement tactics hasn't changed a bit in the last 2 years. That was in fall 2009:
    Attachment 27
    Attachment 28
    Last edited by InMontreal; 10-31-2011 at 10:58 AM.

With regards to the inserting snipes, it's not only Global that's doing this now.

Ever since the start of the fall season and with the introduction of their new graphics, CTV has also adopted the same practice for both of its channels.
    Pretty much for every show they run in primetime. You can pick any one where the opening credits appear at the bottom of the screen following the first commercial break, and that's when the snipes come in featuring the waving colored drapes behind the CTV logo.

Among the shows I've seen this happen: Castle, Unforgettable, and Nikita just to name a few.

Frankly, it's really annoying. If they really need to run snipes at the top of the program, I don't see the harm in waiting until all the credits have appeared, or just wait until after the next break to do so. As far as I know, this was not an issue recently with CTV until they suddenly started doing this once the fall season began.

To put it out in context, the annual Treehouse of Horror episode feature modified/funny names in opening/closing credits, it's tradition.
    In the case of this year's episode, a few names appeared at the bottom of the screen, then stopped after Global's snipe disappeared, and resumed 30 to 45 secs later.

CTV's snipe is HUGE and eats up maybe more than the lower third. As a Montreal OTA viewer and Videotron subscriber, I do not need to know what's on CTV Two, it's USELESS information to me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2226343/
    ... Is there a Canadian-made scripted show on Global in prime time any night of the week? No money for that. Let the CBC do that stuff and then let's complain to the government that the tax-payer funded CBC is unfairly competing with private broadcasters! Yeah, that's the ticket...

Are there any Canadian made shows on Global, or are they in full-leech mode all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Classof83 View Post
    Are there any Canadian made shows on Global, or are they in full-leech mode all the time?
    While there are some thing global does i don't like i aslo have a hard time when people call them a leach they pay for the rights to those shows that gives them the right to air those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I have a hard time when people call them a leach they pay for the rights to those shows that gives them the right to air those shows.
    But we'd get those shows without Global and wouldn't have to put up with their screw-ups. Calling them leaches is a bit much, but other than news, Global doesn't produce any quality programming in exchange for their protected status.

If it's not a "Currently" and "Next" snipe covering on-screen credits, it's a Lotto 6/49 snipe. Exhibit Victoria... I mean, Dr. Kate Sykora from last friday's A Gifted Man.
    Attachment 45

Leech: "One that preys on or clings to another."

If the shoe fits, wear it. And Global has got the glass slipper!!!

NCIS and NCIS:LA have a particular distinction of having a short 2-3 minutes introduction before the opening credits segment, then the story begins at the NCIS office where you can see guest stars and producer names at the bottom of the screen. Commercial breaks are well marked. On CBS, after the executive producer's name at the end of the show, you hear a voice-over "stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" and then commercial break.

Global instead run a commercial right after the opening credits, which is stupid. They know they are gonna run a Lotto 6/49 snipe after the 1st commercial break anyway! See the attachment, look at the time:
    Attachment 48

If they ran the show the same way as CBS, we wouldn't be having this problem. I even checked out NCIS:LA runs on Showcase, they don't have a commercial break after the opening credits. Only the Global does this.

History? I brought this problem back in 2009, for example, Melrose Place on Global. TVViewer eloquently said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Since the time of the in-program ad was 10:11PM, it leads me to ask, why did the show have on-screen credits at 10:11PM anyway? The show started at 10:00PM, that's where the on-screen credits should be.
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showthread.php?t=4295

Well, NCIS and NCIS:LA have their on-screen credits where they should be, at 9:02pm... without a useless commercial break.
    Global waited 10:11pm to run the snipe during Melrose Place in 2009, waited until 8:10pm to run the snipe during A Gifted Man last week (see a few messages up), but couldn't wait until 9:10pm to run the snipe during NCIS:LA this week. As I said, idiots!

Why is it that, whether it's House, NCIS, Ringer, Prime Suspect, Glee, Bones, etc... the preview at the END of the show (sponsored by Leon) is ALWAYS a preview of Parenthood?

There are other shows on the network, ya know, but a next week promo for the show that just ended would be much more appreciated.

Covering part of a guest star on last night NCIS:LA for a "Muppets" snipe? Really? Global's advertisement practices are getting ridiculously unrespectful. See attachment.
    Attachment 49

More Global screw ups on the premiere of Touch.

Attachment 52
    Attachment 53

Back from a commercial break, the scene was happening in Irak, so dialogues were subtitled. Global doesn't care about it, snipes are way more important than the translation...

Quote Originally Posted by Classof83 View Post
    Outside of news, no. You may have to go back 1 or 2 decades to find

something they had produced.

Currently Global is airing bomb Girls which is a Canadian show.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBCTV View Post
    Outside of news, no. You may have to go back 1 or 2 decades to find

something they had produced.
    They have been involved in a fair amount of shows such as Haven and The Firm.

Global shows

Global aired two original dramas last year - Combat Hospital and Rookie Blue. 16:9, and Canada in Focus are original content. Then there were a whole slew of one off documentaties and movies. So - no idea what you're talking about Ottawasnowdog. Maybe you don't actually watch Global?

Ottawasnowdog - Global is currently airing Bomb Girls. Last year they aired two other original series - Combat Hospital and Rookie Blue in primetime. There are news programs like 16:9 and Global currents. ET Canada is their production. And that's not to mention the movies and miniseries. And they do a lot of Canadian drama production on their specialty channels - Haven, King, Lost Girl .... maybe you're watching another channel....