Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    My point (again) was that Shaw is producing more Canadian scripted drama than CTV, even thought both are bound by spending requirements set out by the CRTC.

Clarify something for me, you always said that Canadian scripted series where always a money loser for networks and that it wouldn't be if the CRTC allowed them produce their own shows? Am I remembering that correctly?
    Not every show would make money, the show would still need to be a hit of course. They wouldn't necessarily need to produce it, but they would need to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post

You're right, I can't remember specifics, but TVViewer has definitely taken a positive shift in tone towards Shaw (as opposed to his/her more negative tone) ever since they took over Canwest. Coincidence, I think not.
    Agreed.

I'll concede to (perhaps) getting the specifics wrong but since the Shaw takeover of Global she's clearly gone from Shaw=bad to Shaw=not just good but one step away from the second coming of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I'm not denying I have been critical of Shaw. I'm just saying I never said what NakedGord claims. He is right that the topic was discussed on here, but he is confusing me with someone else, I never even discussed the topic with him. I'm sure if someone here was saying you said something you didn't you would also want to clarify that they aren't telling the truth.
    For the record, I was critical of Shaw and all the BDU's only because I supported local television and they were against something that at the time was essential to the future of local television.
    Well, I probably shouldn't have even commented in the first place because this isn't exactly a discussion I'm really interested in having, but anyways, since we're already in it, my comment wasn't directed squarely at the conservative issue brought up, I can't remember if you said anything like that about Shaw or not. But what I was getting at was that you have been critical on other things with Shaw/Shaw Direct before the big brewhaha with the local TV thing. But the moment Shaw bought Canwest, it's been nothing but good things to say and defending them. I'm just saying I don't think it's a coincidence.

I can't remember if you said anything like that about Shaw or not. But what I was getting at was that you have been critical on other things with Shaw/Shaw Direct before the big brewhaha with the local TV thing. I'm just saying I don't think it's a coincidence.
    This isn't true, and that goes for all BDU's. My only issue with them was they wern't supporting local television, Now Shaw is. It's not a coincidence, The only thing I didn't like about them no longer exists.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.

This isn't true, and that goes for all BDU's. My only issue with them was they wern't supporting local television, Now Shaw is. It's not a coincidence, The only thing I didn't like about them no longer exists.
    I didn't want to have to pull things up but, here we go.... :(

Here you said this:
    surprising that Shaw would pull Discovery Kids, they either really hate children or they didn't want Canwest to say that they are being unfair by only pulling BBC Kids.

I agree with TVJunkie they are most likely making room for american channels, and I agree with musimax that people with Shaw are getting a pretty bad deal, I would say the same thing for Shaw Direct, Bell is far from perfect but they carry way more channels compared to Shaw Direct, Shaw/Shaw Direct's decisions have hurt all stations from local to specialty to paytv, they were horrible to OutTV, it took them a year to carry the must carry Super Channel (which is part of the reason why Super Channel is losing money), they pulled 4 under-performing local channels, and refuse to carry a number of small market locals, hurting their ratings (Part of the reason why the 2 'A' stations Shaw said they would buy are losing money is because Shaw Direct refused to carry them!)
    and this:
    No the CRTC did not approve USA Network.

Shaw should really be ashamed for what it has done, alot of that programming on BBC Kids and Discovery Kids can't be viewed anywhere else, kids who enjoyed that programming are not going to care that they can replace them with different channels, they want the shows they like and enjoy from BBC Kids and Discovery Kids.
    Here you said this:
    Removing programming choices for children and killing local news leaves you with alot of cash it seems, Shaw announced today that is it buying Hamilton's Mountain Cablevision, carrt.ca is reporting it went for $300 Million!

Great news for people in Hamilton who hate programming choices and kids.
    Here you said this:
    This really makes me happy I have Bell. I would sure not be happy if I had Star Choice, even if you don't watch those channels, it has to annoy people that they are paying the same for less channels.

I know some people say that Star Choice has better custumor service than Bell, but does that really matter when with Bell you get more way HD channels, more channels alltogether, and channels first.

It took Star Choice forever to get Super Channel, Bell had Super Channel up and running before the channel even launched! And when Super Channel was added Star Choice dropped local stations, Bell dropped nothing.
    So, you have been critical or had a bit of a negative tine towards Shaw. Now that Shaw owns Canwest, that has all changed.

I've made my point, I'm done with this topic.

So, you have been critical or had a bit of a negative tine towards Shaw. Now that Shaw owns Canwest, that has all changed.
    All those complaints (many are taken out of context) are releated to not supporting local television and hurting broadcasters by pulling channels. Shaw no longer does this. Thanks for wasting your time to prove nothing.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.

All those complaints (many are taken out of context) are releated to not supporting local television and hurting broadcasters by pulling channels. Shaw no longer does this. Thanks for wasting your time to prove nothing.
    lol of course, the age old excuse: "it was taken out of context". HA! Gimme a break, these are things you said and anyone can look at the full thread to read all the other postings from everyone else. And also, these quotes are your entire quote, not snippets.

And these quotes of yours are not about local TV, which you point out above was the only issue you had with Shaw. These are about specialty channels. This has nothing to do with the "Save Local TV" thing. Clearly, before the Save Local TV thing happened, you still had issues with them. Now that Shaw bought Canwest, your supposed employer, which you still refuse to admit and won't even address the question, everything is rainbows and butterflies with Shaw now. Funny eh?! Now they're god's gift to Canadian TV.

I don't know who you think you're kidding on here. Next thing you know, Fox News (which he/she apparently hates) will end up buying Shaw, and then he/she'll be saying Fox News is the best thing since slice bread!
    Last edited by musimax; 01-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.

lol of course, the age old excuse: "it was taken out of context". HA! Gimme a break, these are things you said and anyone can look at the full thread to read all the other postings from everyone else. And also, these quotes are your entire quote, not snippets.

And these quotes of yours are not about local TV, which you point out above was the only issue you had with Shaw. These are about specialty channels. This has nothing to do with the "Save Local TV" thing. Clearly, before the Save Local TV thing happened, you still had issues with them. Now that Shaw bought Canwest, your supposed employer, which you still refuse to admit and won't even address the question, everything is rainbows and butterflies with Shaw now. Funny eh?! Now they're god's gift to Canadian TV.

I don't know who you think you're kidding on here. Next thing you know, Fox News (which he/she apparently hates) will end up buying Shaw, and then he/she'll be saying Fox News is the best thing since slice bread!
    So much for you being done with this thread.

Local TV is mentioned in 4 of the 5 posts. 4 out of the 5 posts were also made after the Save Local TV campaign was launched, the only one that was made before the save local TV campaign was about Star Choice dropping local channels.

I still don't understand why you think it's so weird. The things I didn't like about Shaw no longer exist, they are making huge investments towards local television. It makes zero sense for someone as supportive of local television as I am to not support the company investing millions in local television.

Congrats on turning another dissussion into a personal debate that nobody else wants to read.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

So much for you being done with this thread.

Local TV is mentioned in 4 of the 5 posts. 4 out of the 5 posts were also made after the Save Local TV campaign was launched, the only one that was made before the save local TV campaign was about Star Choice dropping local channels.

I still don't understand why you think it's so weird. The things I didn't like about Shaw no longer exist, they are making huge investments towards local television. It makes zero sense for someone as supportive of local television as I am to not support the company investing millions in local television.

Congrats on turning another dissussion into a personal debate that nobody else wants to read.
    None of the posts I mentioned are about local TV at its core, most are about Shaw/Shaw Direct and their treatment of specialty channels, not local TV stations. Plain and simple. You mentioned in an earlier post, your issue with them was about local TV stations, these posts are not about that, their about specialty channels. Whether the posts were made before or after Save Local TV campaign, doesn't matter, the posts are primarily about specialty channels.

And btw, you're shift in tone towards a more positive spin with Shaw came the moment they bought Canwest, long before they made any changes to local TV stations or announced any plans.

If you want to keep playing it off, fine, but everyone can see through it.

If you want to keep playing it off, fine, but everyone can see through it.
    Indeed. I'm far from perfect (and I'll admit my faults and concede to them when warranted) but some others (and perhaps others should just be in the singular) are always the one basically spamming this site with how great their current employer is (there's some major league butt kissing) and hammering anyone who dare to disagree with her.

They may claim others are the one turning discussions into personal pissing contests but they're always the one spraying their piss in whatever direction to start things with whomever happens to be in line of the stream.

We all know where this is going... Please agree to disagree and stay on topic from now on. Thanks!
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/