Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

HDNet rebrands as AXS

HDNet in the US will be rebranding as AXS sometime this summer, thus, the Canadian feed will rebrand as well, since it is the American feed that we get.

AXS will focus on entertainment and lifestyle programming like "live concerts and music festivals, red carpets, pop culture events and in-depth interviews." It will also launch an SD feed. No word on if Canadians will have access to the SD channel. Presumably I would think it would at least be allowed in Canada since SD channels like Spike don't need special permission from the CRTC to launch their HD feed in Canada. Whether anyone will pick it up or AXS will even bother launching the SD feed here is another question though.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ia_and_CAA.php

Another niche channel bites the dust, I wonder how many will be left in the end?! It seems the trend of turning unique specialty channels that serve a specific niche into mainstream mindless drivel that appeals to the masses continues unabated. Is it no wonder why more and more people are turning to the net to get their fill of good content. Cable & satellite are slowly turning into a wasteland of crap, if it wasn't for live sports then I think most people would have dumped them a long time ago.

I wonder what this means for the future of HDNet/AXS in Canada?! Several providers have recently dropped it, will Bell & Rogers add the 'new' channel to their lineup?! Also what happens to HDNet Movies, the article makes no mention of whether that channel will continue to operate?!

To be fair though, HDNet isn't really a niche channel. It's more of a general interest channel that happens to be solely in HD. I don't think a technical requirement like being in HD categorizes it as a niche channel. I'd think it rebranding as AXS makes it a niche channel, focusing on pop culture and entertainment programming.

I just wonder if the CRTC will end up stepping in and possibly even blocking it from Canada. Now that the channel is shifting focus away from the programming strategy that allowed it to enter Canada, the CRTC has the right to review it and block it if they think it competes with an existing Canadian channel. For example, sounds like this could compete with E!

As for HDNet Movies, on another forum I think we all know the name of, I won't mention, but someone posted a message from the channel's Facebook page I believe, and they said HDNet Movies is staying as is.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    It seems the trend of turning unique specialty channels that serve a specific niche into mainstream mindless drivel that appeals to the masses continues unabated.
    What HDNet programming are you worried about losing from this re-branding?

Considering Bell (including BellAliant) and Rogers have dropped HDNet from the offerings, the impact on Canadian viewers is greatly reduced and as mentioned the change to this format with competing Canadian channels existing makes chances of their return pretty much non existant.

HDNet to get the AX ... hello, AXS TV.

I assume Bell Media will do what it can to have AXS TV banned from Canadian airwaves, as it might somehow interfere with E! Canada's rebranding attempt in the Entertainment genre.

Note: The article linked below incorrectly mentions that Drinking Made Easy and various other programming won't be available on AXS TV. However, although it's true that the scripted and "adult" programming will likely disappear, there will still be other current HDNet content (including Drinking Made Easy) made available on AXS TV.

EDIT: Correction - The article linked below only mentions that "FOR NOW" the various HDNet programming won't be available, since Canadians are now left in the dark. I thought the writer was trying to imply that AXS TV wouldn't be carrying the various HDNet content that he listed, but I just misunderstood what he wrote. My bad.

http://www.mmasucka.com/news/hdnet-canada-bad-news-mfc/
    [May 5th, 2012]

What I was able to find out is that Shaw is thinking about replacing HDNET with a new channel called AXS TV. An unnamed Shaw employee told me that they are going to try the AXS TV out and see if it’s worth the money (Carriage Fee).

I spoke to MFC President Mark Pavelich and this was his statement on the situation. “It’s unfortunate for the time being but with a brand-name change coming to HDNet this summer we’re hopeful and excited about being televised live in Canada again. In the meantime we’re very happy with HDNet being live throughout the USA and of course our agreement with TSN2.”
    ------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDNet#Canadian_carriage

Accordingly, although approved by the CRTC, HDNet has no Canadian carriage agreements at present time.

A Facebook Campaign "We, The Customers Demand That HDNet Be Returned To The Line-up" was started on May 10, 2012 to have HDNet and subsequently the re-branded AXS.tv return to Canadian Televisions, it may work but they will need the numbers to make return a reality at this point. It has been posted by Mark Cuban himself on that page itself, that "Carriage Rates" for the channel were dropped and not raised as Canadian providers previously stated.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-14-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added correction part about a misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDNet#Canadian_carriage

Accordingly, although approved by the CRTC, HDNet has no Canadian carriage agreements at present time.
    I think Wikipedia is wrong.

Last I heard HDNet is still on Eastlink.

Still on Source Cable in Hamilton & Novus in Vancouver.