Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Cartoon Network and Adult Swim Coming to Canada!

TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. today announced a partnership that will bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canadian television later this year. This new digital specialty network is a complementary, ad-supported channel with a built-in fan-base. Canadian audiences can expect to see shows such as The Amazing World of Gumball, Adventure Time and Regular Show during the Cartoon Network block between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. ET/PT, followed by an Adult Swim late-night lineup commencing at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

More...

Could this mean Teletoon Retro will become Boomerang as well?!!!

Is this the end of Teletoon or is it just another channel?

Is this the end of Teletoon or is it just another channel?
    Based on the Channel Canada article, it appears as though this will be a new channel (probably using the Teletoon Kapow! license they got approval for a while back), which begs the question what will happen to Teletoon?! If I am not mistaken, quite a bit of their foreign programming currently comes from Cartoon Network, so will they spread programming across two channels or will that programming move over to Cartoon Network?! If it does move then what will Teletoon air aside from their Cancon?!

It looks like the influx of American brands continues, I wonder how many more Canadian clones we will see launch?! To think I got chided for suggesting in another thread that MuchMore should re-brand as VH1 Canada (American channel), when this is exactly the strategy that these broadcasters are pursuing- launching Canadian versions of American specialty channels.

I certainly hope not, Teletoon Retro is a much better channel then Boomerang. Boomerang airs mainly programming from the Hanna-Barbera library, which is owned by Time Warner who also own Boomerang, while Teletoon Retro airs a better variety of programs from different studios and animation companies. I would assume this channel will remain as is because Teletoon will continue to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Based on the Channel Canada article, it appears as though this will be a new channel (probably using the Teletoon Kapow! license they got approval for a while back), which begs the question what will happen to Teletoon?! If I am not mistaken, quite a bit of their foreign programming currently comes from Cartoon Network, so will they spread programming across two channels or will that programming move over to Cartoon Network?! If it does move then what will Teletoon air aside from their Cancon?!

It looks like the influx of American brands continues, I wonder how many more Canadian clones we will see launch?! To think I got chided for suggesting in another thread that MuchMore should re-brand as VH1 Canada (American channel), when this is exactly the strategy that these broadcasters are pursuing- launching Canadian versions of American specialty channels.

I certainly hope not, Teletoon Retro is a much better channel then Boomerang. Boomerang airs mainly programming from the Hanna-Barbera library, which is owned by Time Warner who also own Boomerang, while Teletoon Retro airs a better variety of programs from different studios and animation companies. I would assume this channel will remain as is because Teletoon will continue to exist.
    Just gotten the answer via the email and they said Teletoon retro will still retain it's name along with it's offshoot Teletoon...Cartoon network will be a second network under that name!!!

This is going to be a new digital channel, Teletoon will not be affected. As for programming on Teletoon, I suspect that there will be some obvious overlap in programming between the two channels, this is Canada afterall. But Teletoon still has a fair bit of non-Cartoon Network programs. I mean, remember when G4 had their ADD block of programs and most of that was from Adult Swim, so there's still a lot to be added to the new channel.

It looks like the influx of American brands continues, I wonder how many more Canadian clones we will see launch?!
    It's only a matter of time until we see VH1 Canada and many others like TNT and whatnot. We can blame this all on ourselfs for being so damn foolish to buy into this stupid notion that everything is better when we just stick an American brand on a channel. And also blame it on the broadcasters for riding the coattails of the American brands and not having an original thought in their organizations.

To think I got chided for suggesting in another thread that MuchMore should re-brand as VH1 Canada (American channel), when this is exactly the strategy that these broadcasters are pursuing- launching Canadian versions of American specialty channels.
    Well, to be fair, saying they should as opposed to saying they will, are two different things. Should they rebrand MuchMore VH1 Canada? I don't think so. Will they likely do it at some point? Seems quite likely.
    Last edited by musimax; 02-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Won't this just eventually push Teletoon out? Granted it has some original programing, but both networks borrow from each other right now and with it coming in I can't see that happening any more. Does that mean we get a bunch of old Cancon cartoons on Teletoon or does it revamp itself for new cartoons, maybe even Anime?

YTV and Nickelodeon co-exist as does Family and its counterparts; Disney Jr and Disney XD.

It's their hip little way of charging customers way more money for slightly more programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Teletoon Retro will retain its brand name as Teletoon will co exist with Cartoon Network Canada. It would be stupid to bring Boomerang here with Teletoon Retro existing! Its much better then Boomerang in the States when it comes to programming!

It would be cool if Cartoon Network took some of Teletoons current programming and Teletoon invested in some Disney retro cartoons. It is half owned by Astral after all.
    Last edited by jfoley85; 02-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.

acording to teletoon.com Cartoon Network will launch summer 2012.
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

Being a huge animation fan ,this is AWESOME :D....BIG BUT though..will this channel be on the higher cnannel numbers???I only have (basic ) BELL SATELLITE service and no HD HIGH numbered channel's...

PLEASE POST any info.
    thxs

JAS

Well Teletoon has purchased the domains cartoonnetworkcanada.ca and cartoonnetworkcanada.com so that's a good sign as to what their web address will be when the time comes! :)

Cartoon Network will launch July 4, 2012.
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/9674...da-july-4-2012

I am so excited for this to launch, I hope that they release the HD and SD feeds at the same time ... its very annoying to have just an SD feed ... in 2012 ..
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!