Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Late Night Television

    To me personally I think that the big late night shows that appear on major american nets should go to big Canadian nets like: CTV, Global and City. There are more stations in Canada that are under these networks then the other secondary networks like: CTV Two, Omni, and independents. My idea is to move these shows to the major networks to look more like this:

    CTV
    11:00pm CTV National News
    11:30pm CTV News
    12:00am Tonight Show with Jay Leno
    1:00am Late-Night with Jimmy Fallon

    Global
    11:00pm Global News
    11:35pm David Letterman
    12:35am Craig Ferguson

    City
    11:00pm CityNews
    11:35pm Jimmy Kimmel Live!

    OMNI
    11pm Arsenio Hall Show (so it will simulcast with CW stations)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JKITSEMETRY1 View Post
    To me personally I think that the big late night shows that appear on major american nets should go to big Canadian nets like: CTV, Global and City. There are more stations in Canada that are under these networks then the other secondary networks like: CTV Two, Omni, and independents. My idea is to move these shows to the major networks to look more like this:

    CTV
    11:00pm CTV National News
    11:30pm CTV News
    12:00am Tonight Show with Jay Leno
    1:00am Late-Night with Jimmy Fallon

    Global
    11:00pm Global News
    11:35pm David Letterman
    12:35am Craig Ferguson

    City
    11:00pm CityNews
    11:35pm Jimmy Kimmel Live!

    OMNI
    11pm Arsenio Hall Show (so it will simulcast with CW stations)

    Good suggestions! The only issue I can see though is CTV's line up. Because of the local news at 11:30, they would not be able to simulcast with NBC on the late night shows because they would be 25 mins behind. That would lose viewers to the American broadcast and therefore bring down ratings and sales revenue. I'm pretty sure they change it up with adding The Daily Show and others as an alternative to NBC to try and keep the viewers interested.

    On another note, have they announced who will be taking over for Jimmy Fallon when he gets the Tonight Show or are they just putting Late Night to rest?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN_Guy View Post
    Good suggestions! The only issue I can see though is CTV's line up. Because of the local news at 11:30, they would not be able to simulcast with NBC on the late night shows because they would be 25 mins behind.
    I don't see the point of canadian networks buying all american late-night shows.

    Citytv is already airing Jimmy Kimmel Live at midnight, with a 25 minutes delay, due to their 6pm-12am cancon commitment.

    Also, the Arsenio Hall Show is syndicated, not part of the CW network's schedule.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,461
    Seth Myers will replace Fallon.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN_Guy View Post
    Good suggestions! The only issue I can see though is CTV's line up.
    That's not the only issue. The reality is these late night shows are low rated. Why would Global want to shorten News Hour Final to a half hour just to air a lower rated show? Even if there wasn't the issue of Canadian content requirements, Global would still want to broadcast a full hour late night newscast, CTV would still want local news at 11:30PM.

    These shows are a big deal in the U.S. because the networks don't own all their stations and only get a certain number of hours to air network programming outside primetime. We don't have that problem in Canada, so our local stations can air what does best, and that's local news.

    The market for these shows has become over-saturated, there are simply too many shows going after the same viewers airing at the same time. If anything the major networks are going in the opposite direction of late night comedies. Global recently dropped the rights to Craig Ferguson and now counter-programs with alternate programming. I wouldn't be surprised if City joins Global in airing alternate programming at midnight in a few years. CTV will likely continue with them as they own so many but I wouldn't be surprised if they let go of a few.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    311
    I would like to see a Canadian late night show again. We have many in the daytime market (Marilyn, CityLine, The Social, Steven & Chris), but no one in late-night. It would have to be someone that skews young though. No Mike Bullard or anything like that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Why would Global want to shorten News Hour Final to a half hour just to air a lower rated show?
    Global stations in Montreal, Lethbridge, Nova-Scotia and New Brunswick (the money-losing stations) are already 30-minutes in lenght. Short and sweet, then let me go to sleep !
    These days, a 1-hour news show have the tendency to stretch the Rob Ford news to a whole 15 minutes... boring for the Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg/BC viewers !

    In the US, ABC, NBC and CBS have a 35-minutes newscast and they can move on to entertainment. Fox, The CW and MyNetworkTV local stations can have their 30-minutes or 1-hour newscast at their convenience, or none at all depending on the market size.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Even if there wasn't the issue of Canadian content requirements, Global would still want to broadcast a full hour late night newscast
    Above-mentionned local Global stations get a repeat of ET Canada at 11:30 to fill the cancon hour. Other stations get the TVtropolis/Movietime/Dejaview fillers like "Whatever happened to..."
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=InMontreal;64500]

    Global stations in Montreal, Lethbridge, Nova-Scotia and New Brunswick (the money-losing stations) are already 30-minutes in lenght. Short and sweet, then let me go to sleep !
    When Global Maritimes was a regional station they did produce an hour long late night newscast, they now produce separate newscasts for Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and obviously a local newscast is going to have less content than a regional newscast (CTV Atlantic would be in a similar position if they started producing separate newscasts for NS & NB). Lethbridge and Montreal are also small markets so it's understandable that they don't produce hour long late night newscasts but that doesn't mean stations in other markets that have the resources to fill an hour long late newscast shouldn't do so.

    These days, a 1-hour news show have the tendency to stretch the Rob Ford news to a whole 15 minutes... boring for the Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg/BC viewers !
    Of course, you say this as someone who does not watch and does not have the ability to watch News Hour Final in these markets.

    News Hour Final is an hour long in these markets because they have the audience to support it. They have the audience to support it because these stations have enough content to produce a highly rated hour long newscast. If they didn't have enough content to fill an hour long newscast they wouldn't have good audience numbers and wouldn't be producing News Hour Final at 8 out of 12 stations, they would do a 30 minute News Final just like they do at the smaller stations that don't have enough content to fill an hour.


    In the US, ABC, NBC and CBS have a 35-minutes newscast and they can move on to entertainment. Fox, The CW and MyNetworkTV local stations can have their 30-minutes or 1-hour newscast at their convenience, or none at all depending on the market size.

    This isn't their choice. They have to do this because they are required to air network programming at 11:35PM. Many stations would probably love to have a full hour newscast at 11:00PM, their network affiliations don't allow this to happen and they have to air network programming instead of higher rated local news.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Of course, you say this as someone who does not watch and does not have the ability to watch News Hour Final in these markets.
    You're right. Videotron used to distribute Global Toronto HD between april 2005 and august 2011, but I never watched it. When I dumped cable and went OTA, I started watching the 11pm news on Global Montreal...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    They have to do this because they are required to air network programming at 11:35PM. Many stations would probably love to have a full hour newscast at 11:00PM, their network affiliations don't allow this to happen and they have to air network programming instead of higher rated local news.
    Is this actually required by the networks? I know affiliates have moved or dropped the 12:35 talk shows as well as some controversial series and local breaking news and special events can delay or pre-empt the 11:35 shows.
    Last edited by SportsFan; 11-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •