Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    The best case scenario in my opinion would be for Quebecor to shut down SNN and launch a real non-biased respectful news channel. SUN's 0.1% audience share should be a clear indication that biased news with moron personalities spewing their opinions is not working. Shut it down and launch a real news channel that people can be proud to work for.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to just get rid of the bozos and make the existing channel better?
    Last edited by SportsFan; 06-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta!!
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    [FONT=Arial]These people are working for a network that allows people like Ezra Levant to be rude and disrespectful to their guests, to go down to the CBC's building and harass CBC employess. People with morals shouldn't be okay working for a company like that.
    Don't need a bias to hit a button. I can't believe you'd actually fault technicians for making a living.

    I don't agree with anything they say but I'm not going to fault the crew behind the scenes or trying to do something with their lives and having a steady income.

    People gotta pay the bills. If you spent four years paying for years of education and they're hiring...and you need the job you're gonna turn it away? Enjoy working in Starbucks with a degree that can ACTUALLY get you work.

    Or would you rather they all quit and be homeless?

    I also don't agree that the CBC staff should all be sent on the street either

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to just get rid of the bozos and make the existing channel better?
    That would pretty much mean getting rid of every single on air personality with the exception of David Akin and a few other people.

    I don't think anyone was comparing how much those two things would offend people.
    I was under the impression that Sun wanted to get rid of the program as it was offensive to taxpayers to pay for "pornography"

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    I was under the impression that Sun wanted to get rid of the program as it was offensive to taxpayers to pay for "pornography"
    I'm sure Levant would have no problem with it airing on a private broadcaster.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I'm sure Levant would have no problem with it airing on a private broadcaster.
    What difference does it make? Why should it matter if this type of programming is on a public broadcaster or a private broadcaster? Are you saying we should have dual standards?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I'm sure Levant would have no problem with it airing on a private broadcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    What difference does it make?
    It's the issue of the mandate of the CBC, not about vulgar or adult content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Why should it matter if this type of programming is on a public broadcaster or a private broadcaster? Are you saying we should have dual standards?
    We do have dual standards: The CBC is not a member of the CBSC.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    and i'm not going to be sad if a biased and rude disgrace fails.
    I'm sorry, but I just think this is funny coming from TVViewer.

    Sorry, but I could not let this go without saying something. :o

    But in general, I agree, I wouldn't care if SNN shut down either. And I hope it does. It just isn't poor taste journalism, but IMO it does society harm in that it helps create an ill-informed public, it's divisive, and creates an uncomfortable social discourse. It's like Fox News in the US, you can't deny that that channel hasn't contributed to the mess down there and is that something that we want here too? I hope not. But in reality, SNN probably won't and doesn't have that much of an impact here, because frankly no one is watching it, but it's still uncomfortable to have. Now I have no problem with conservative ideas and what not, but this is just a joke and an embarassment to conservatives, I can't imagine anyone would be proud of this.
    Last edited by musimax; 06-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto area
    Posts
    1,048
    "Not much of an impact" is an understatement, considering the microscopic ratings.

    I'll repeat a description I heard and liked back when Sun News Nutwork started a little over a year ago. If you have a large enough extended family that you meet up with once in a while at Christmas or at weddings, you might have one uncle or relative who, despite his lack of real education and his xenophobic and conspiracy theory rants being politely ignored by all the other relatives, somehow still over-confidently and delusionally believes he's smarter than everyone else. Sun News is like a bunch of these uncles got together and started a TV channel in the basement of the nutty uncle who had the most money, and they were excitedly thinking "they can't ignore us now!"

    Well, we can and do ignore them. Now, frustrated at being ignored, these clowns have resorted to outrageous stunts hoping for attention. Who knows what's next? Maybe if we continue ignoring them, eventually the toady-looking whiny little weasel guy will take his chainsaw into a crowded mall or subway station and chase people into a corner to try to force them to listen to him, and when he's arrested they'll proclaim him to be a victim of those wanting to limit his free speech.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    It's the issue of the mandate of the CBC, not about vulgar or adult content.
    Please point out where in the mandate this would be an issue.

    We do have dual standards: The CBC is not a member of the CBSC.
    Fair enough, but I'd assume the CBC would be regulated under a similar code of conduct the private broadcasters are.

    the toady-looking whiny little weasel guy will take his chainsaw into a crowded mall or subway station and chase people into a corner to try to force them to listen to him, and when he's arrested they'll proclaim him to be a victim of those wanting to limit his free speech.
    The funny thing is, Ezra Levant tried something similar with the CBC and spent days on air complaining he was kicked out of the building for harassing the CBC's employees. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried something similar.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I'm sure Levant would have no problem with it airing on a private broadcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    What difference does it make?
    I'll try again. Levant was not opposed to the CBC buying this show because he thought the sexual content shouldn't be shown in Canada. On the contrary, he is a strong opponent of censorship. He was opposed because he thought buying a show from France about a porno studio is not something the CBC should do because it is not an appropriate use of taxpayers money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Fair enough, but I'd assume the CBC would be regulated under a similar code of conduct the private broadcasters are.
    I think you're wrong. I've never heard of such a code of conduct for the CBC. Have you?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I think you're wrong. I've never heard of such a code of conduct for the CBC. Have you?
    Let's not jump to conclusions. ;) This took me less than a minute to find on Google.
    http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/report...ng/journalism/
    Journalism standards
    http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/report...gram-policies/
    Programming policies

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    He was opposed because he thought buying a show from France about a porno studio is not something the CBC should do because it is not an appropriate use of taxpayers money.
    CBC's mandate does not forbid it from airing programming featuring nudity. I don't think the program in question used the nudity for either shock value or sensation; it was relatively mild in comparison to the other shows you'd see on TV.
    SEX AND NUDITY

    Explicit scenes of nudity or eroticism must be used with a great deal of caution. Such scenes must not be unduly emphasized nor used primarily for shock or sensation.
    http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/report...olicies/1-1-5/

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    CBC's mandate does not forbid it from airing programming featuring nudity. I don't think the program in question used the nudity for either shock value or sensation; it was relatively mild in comparison to the other shows you'd see on TV
    How does that relate to your accusation of hypocrisy?

    Of course the CBC has internal policies but I don't think it is regulated under a code of conduct.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Ezra Levant is a Jewish version of Glen Beck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Your point being?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It isn't self explanatory?
    My first impression is that it's anti-semitic, but I thought I'd ask for clarification.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    The June 13 edition of Levant's show (the one that was linked to in the first post) prompted more complaints to the CBSC. The CBSC decided that since it was the subject of the show it could be in a conflict of interest if it dealt with the complaints. It has forwarded the complaints to the CRTC.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    My first impression is that it's anti-semitic, but I thought I'd ask for clarification.
    Didn't think you where going to reply; but no, it wasn't anti-semitic, just highlighting the difference between the two. Although Glenn Beck announced he will be more "calm" and "kinder" on-air as part of his personally upgrade to "Beck 3.0". So I guess the new difference between the two is Ezra is running on outdated software.


    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ezra stated somewhere that he's Howard Beale of Sun News? Or was it someone else on there?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    just highlighting the difference between the two.
    It's surprising that you think his Jewishness is the most important difference between the two.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post

    biased and rude

    I'm sorry, but I just think this is funny coming from TVViewer.

    Sorry, but I could not let this go without saying something. :o
    A respectful person would let it go, Only a pathetic moron wouldn't be able to resist insulting someone even when they agree with their position. You could have just ignored the thread or said you agreed with my position, but nope, you just had to take the opportunity to take a shot at me. Pathetic.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    My first impression is that it's anti-semitic, but I thought I'd ask for clarification.
    Wow, accusing someone of making an anti-semitic remark (and they clearly were not) is a new low for you. It's bad enough that basically everything you post is an insult with a question mark but accusing someone of making an anti-semitic remark goes way too far. You can make your point without sinking to that level.

    Funny how musimax took the opportunity to throw around insults at me in this thread (despite the fact that he agreed with my position) but had nothing to say about you accusing a member of making an anti-semitic remark. Oh yeah, he doesn't have some disturbing obsessed hatred for you, only me.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    A respectful person would let it go, Only a pathetic moron wouldn't be able to resist insulting someone even when they agree with their position. You could have just ignored the thread or said you agreed with my position, but nope, you just had to take the opportunity to take a shot at me. Pathetic.
    Looks like someone can't handle the truth.

    When someone is just so unbelievably blatant in their hyprocisty, I've just got to point that out. Saying you can't stand them basically because they are rude and biased, is so crazy because you embody that to a tee on here. That was just way too funny to let go.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Looks like someone can't handle the truth.

    When someone is just so unbelievably blatant in their hyprocisty, I've just got to point that out. Saying you can't stand them basically because they are rude and biased, is so crazy because you embody that to a tee on here. That was just way too funny to let go.
    The truth, coming from you? Now that's funny!

    I think it's funny that you are randomly calling out me when you yourself have been extremely rude and borderline hateful to me. In the past other members have been rude to me and I returned the favor, but you are no better. Pot meet kettle.

    For the sake of everyone else here, don't even bother replying to this. I really don't care what you have to say and everyone here already knows your feelings towards me. Discussions here will be much better for everyone if you stopped making unprovoked personal attacks against me every opportunity you get. I make a point to only respond to you when it's extremely necessary because you have made it very clear that you see "no point in having a civilized conversation" with me. Everyone here will benefit if you would just let things go and attempt to be a nice person.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •