Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    29

    CHEX TV 2 airing CBC News Network... CHEX TV 2?

    I was just flipping through the channels, and noticed that CBC News Network was airing on CHEX. I was fascinated and watched a little bit, they are branded as a regional station, not CBC.

    I looked for CHEX on Wikipedia, and found a different logo than the one I saw on the channel. Turns out I was watching CHEX TV 2, "Channel 12 Durham". It seems its frequency used to be used as a rebroadcast of CHEX, prior to 1988 it was used as a CIII rebroadcaster.

    So presently CHEX and CHEX TV 2 have different schedules. They are both owned by Corus. With (I think it was) Global unloading stations right and left (eg. CHCH) how is it that Peterborough/Durham Region can support 2 local TV stations?

    CHEX is in Peterborough, CHEX TV 2 is in Oshawa, they are 80 some odd kilometres apart. You could equate that to the distance between Toronto and Hamilton, so I guess that's far enough apart to warrant having separate community and regional news.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,461

    Chex 1 and 2

    They also show a few exclusive NHL playoff games that are not part of the main CBC schedule due to time conflicts (specific playoff games from this year's Washington/Boston series were shown on CHEX and CHEX2, for example).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    I was just flipping through the channels, and noticed that CBC News Network was airing on CHEX. I was fascinated and watched a little bit, they are branded as a regional station, not CBC.
    Both CHEX and CBLT(CBC Toronto) air a simulcast of CBC News Network during the 12pm timeslot.

    They do have the CBC logo on some of their programming, but not their news programming or original content that isn't supplied by the CBC.

    Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    I looked for CHEX on Wikipedia, and found a different logo than the one I saw on the channel. Turns out I was watching CHEX TV 2, "Channel 12 Durham". It seems its frequency used to be used as a rebroadcast of CHEX, prior to 1988 it was used as a CIII rebroadcaster.
    It was never a CIII rebrodcaster, CHEX-TV-1 bounced around the dial when Global launched in the 70's in Bancroft. The CHEX-TV-2 transmitter was originally added to overcome transmission interference of CHEX-TV-1, but developed its own regional programming after launch.

    CHEX-TV-2 is only available (as last I checked) via Rogers Cable for customers living in Durham Region or OTA in the Oshawa/Whitby area. BellTV and Shaw Direct should only be carrying the CHEX-TV-1 feed.

    Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    So presently CHEX and CHEX TV 2 have different schedules. They are both owned by Corus. With (I think it was) Global unloading stations right and left (eg. CHCH) how is it that Peterborough/Durham Region can support 2 local TV stations?
    Unlike CHCH and CIII(Global Toronto); CHEX is actually one station with two different feeds. CHEX-TV-2 will air what CHEX-TV-1 is airing until local news time, when CHEX-TV-2 will air local news targeted towards Oshawa and surrounding area and CHEX-TV-1 will air news targeted towards Peterborough and CHEX-TV-2 will sync back up to CHEX-TV-1 after regional news.



    Quote Originally Posted by timecode View Post
    CHEX is in Peterborough, CHEX TV 2 is in Oshawa, they are 80 some odd kilometres apart. You could equate that to the distance between Toronto and Hamilton, so I guess that's far enough apart to warrant having separate community and regional news.
    CHEX-TV-2 existence has always been a mystery of why and how? Why launch a regional CBC affiliated when CBLT already servers the same area for news and programming? And how the CRTC after all these years allow a twinstick like station to operate.

    If its just because of ownership, then theoretically they could change CHEX into a Global affiliate and keep the regional programming differences between the two CHEX transmitters. Seeing that Shaw Media owns Global and Corus owns CHEX.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    918
    I must say that Corus definitely runs these channels on the cheap and it really shows; especially with the Durham area channel. How is it in 2013 that a local station in a fairly large market (It's technically part of the GTA which is the biggest market in Canada) only has an analog broadcast signal? Almost every other channel in this region switched to digital years ago and all have been digital since August 31, 2011. Heck even the pirated Star Ray TV is digital.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I must say that Corus definitely runs these channels on the cheap and it really shows; especially with the Durham area channel. How is it in 2013 that a local station in a fairly large market (It's technically part of the GTA which is the biggest market in Canada) only has an analog broadcast signal? Almost every other channel in this region switched to digital years ago and all have been digital since August 31, 2011. Heck even the pirated Star Ray TV is digital.
    The GTA designation is a provincial creation, not a federal one, so the CRTC might not consider Oshawa part of the overall Toronto or large market in terms of digital-transition rules. My best guess for it existent is the CRTC considers this part of the Toronto "Extend" market in much of the same way CKVR (CTV2 Barrie) and CHCH operate.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    918
    Except that CHCH Hamilton, CITS Hamilton and CKVR Barrie all were required to switch to digital.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Except that CHCH Hamilton, CITS Hamilton and CKVR Barrie all were required to switch to digital.
    Dunno then, maybe the CRTC doesn't consider it part of the Toronto market then.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •