Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857

    What Can New NBC Shows Expect From Olympics Promotion?

    What Can New NBC Shows Expect From Olympics Promotion? Not Much, If 2008 Is Any Guide

    Written By Bill Gorman
    August 3rd, 2012

    Those who expect ratings success for the new NBC shows because of the promotion during the Olympics have very short memories.

    Who can forget the new NBC shows for Fall 2008 that were promo'd during the 2008 Beijing Olympics? (which ended 2 weeks closer to the season premiere week than the London Olympics will)

    Apparently everyone.

    All were canceled without any of them even getting a full season order.

    - My Own Worst Enemy (the Christian Slater curse is born!) lasted 9 episodes
    - Knight Rider, lasted 17 episodes
    - Kath & Kim, lasted 17 episodes
    - America's Toughest Jobs (reality, started late August, season/series finale Oct)
    - Crusoe (started after ATJ) lasted 12 episodes.

    So much for the value of Olympic promotion.

    Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-guide/143905/
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Its NBC, they haven't had a hit series since Seinfeld left the air 13 years ago.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    It's sad because in the 90s NBC was the #1 network.

    Jeff Zucker was horrible. One of their problems seemed to be that they didn't try hard enough to replace their aging shows with new ones. They kept some shows on for way too many seasons. Once hits like The West Wing went out with low ratings, they kept Law and Order on the air so long that the series was cancelled without giving it a final season. If House was an NBC show there is no way this year would have been the final season, they would have kept it on til the show had horrible ratings.

    Then came along Ben Silverman, who turned NBC into this network full of cheap programming and horrible cheesy remakes (although none of their remakes were as bad as ABC's Charlie's Angels which debuted last season)

    But in my opinion the biggest reason why they are in 4th place seems to be that they kept around too many low rated but critically acclaimed shows. It sometimes feels like NBC is a cable network. They had lots of cable type shows that the critics loved and did great at the Emmys but they simply weren't broad enough for a broadcast network. You can't fill a broadcast network with a bunch of cable shows and expect it to be #1 (not saying you can't have a few critically acclaimed lower rated shows, they just shouldn't dominate the entire schedule) I remember years ago Global picked up The Shield from FX, it was a show with lots of critical acclaim and buzz, yet The Shield bombed on Global. A few years ago during the writer strike CBS and CTV decided to air Dexter, it was one of the most successful Showtime series ever but it bombed on CTV and CBS. Robert Greenblatt appears to get that NBC needs to put out more broad appealing programming if they ever want to compete for #1 again. He ironically comes from Showtime yet he understands that you can't make a show like Weeds do great on a broadcast network, you can still be creative and original but you need to have broad appeal, and most of NBC's new shows are just that.

    Also, this is the first time I can remember where NBC actually debuted full episodes during The Olympics. This is a really bold move, giving them a chance to sample the entire episode is a way better way to get them to tune in this fall than simply airing a bunch of promos.

    Hey atleast they aren't The CW, This isn't even a competitor to the big 4 anymore, they compete against cable networks (which manage to pull in more viewers with less distribution) and MyNetworkTV (which is competitive with The CW despite the fact that their schedule consists of repeats of cancelled shows like The Unit, ect.). The only reason to keep the network around is so CBS and Warner Brothers have a place to stick their shows that do well in international sales (although not in Canada, as to date no major Canadian network has had success with a CW program) they don't even air any programming produced by outside studios anymore (the last scripted CW series produced by a non-CBS/WB studio was the ABC produced Reaper). NBC may not be in the best shape but they certainly could be worse. They just need a few new hits to get back in the game, hopefully they find some with some of their new fall shows, it wont be easy, for every Friends there will be a Friends with Benefits, but they are moving in the right direction.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,494

    Proud as a Peacock

    I enjoyed the pilot episode (commercial-free) of Go On, but it certainly needs a name change. At quick glance, Go On looks like Goon.

    The ratings were also impressive enough to put a smile on NBC's peacock (hello, Katy Perry).

    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...c-preview.html

    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...brother-360382

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's sad because in the 90s NBC was the #1 network.
    Having Jay Leno replace Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show was sort was the starting point of their decline.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Then came along Ben Silverman, who turned NBC into this network full of cheap programming and horrible cheesy remakes (although none of their remakes were as bad as ABC's Charlie's Angels which debuted last season)
    ABC Charlie Angles remake was bad, but not as bad as the Life on Mars remake for U.S. audiences, that was worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    You can't fill a broadcast network with a bunch of cable shows and expect it to be #1 (not saying you can't have a few critically acclaimed lower rated shows, they just shouldn't dominate the entire schedule) I remember years ago Global picked up The Shield from FX, it was a show with lots of critical acclaim and buzz, yet The Shield bombed on Global. A few years ago during the writer strike CBS and CTV decided to air Dexter, it was one of the most successful Showtime series ever but it bombed on CTV and CBS. Robert Greenblatt appears to get that NBC needs to put out more broad appealing programming if they ever want to compete for #1 again. He ironically comes from Showtime yet he understands that you can't make a show like Weeds do great on a broadcast network, you can still be creative and original but you need to have broad appeal, and most of NBC's new shows are just that.
    Broadcast television has more restrictions than basic cable and pay-tv channels. The Shield and Dexter had to be edited for swear words, graphic scenes and storyline that might "upset" some people. It's why they failed, why would you watch something that's been heavily edited?

    The problem is they've reached the creative limits of broadcast television. A lot of writers are jumping ship from network television because of the creative restrictions imposed by the censors breathing down their necks of what they can say or do. Unless they give broadcast television more freedom of what they can create, then their doomed to end up a barren wasteland of dumb down shows and 80's remakes becuase a small group of people don't think its right to swear or show blood at eleven o'clock at night.


    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Also, this is the first time I can remember where NBC actually debuted full episodes during The Olympics. This is a really bold move, giving them a chance to sample the entire episode is a way better way to get them to tune in this fall than simply airing a bunch of promos.
    Of course, they had to edit more Olympic content out.


    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Hey atleast they aren't The CW, This isn't even a competitor to the big 4 anymore, they compete against cable networks (which manage to pull in more viewers with less distribution) and MyNetworkTV (which is competitive with The CW despite the fact that their schedule consists of repeats of cancelled shows like The Unit, ect.). The only reason to keep the network around is so CBS and Warner Brothers have a place to stick their shows that do well in international sales (although not in Canada, as to date no major Canadian network has had success with a CW program) they don't even air any programming produced by outside studios anymore (the last scripted CW series produced by a non-CBS/WB studio was the ABC produced Reaper). NBC may not be in the best shape but they certainly could be worse. They just need a few new hits to get back in the game, hopefully they find some with some of their new fall shows, it wont be easy, for every Friends there will be a Friends with Benefits, but they are moving in the right direction.
    The CW is where Paramount or WB series go to die, there isn't a point why they keep that network alive anymore.

    As for NBC, they need to produce a series that has a story arc to it. Having half-hour scripted comedies and reality shows have their place, but they can become monotonous with their plots or scenarios if your primetime lineup is filled with them seven days a week.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •