Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=Mayhem;58380]

It was a sarcastic remark, of course you alone can't raise or lower BBM ratings.

That's not what you said, you said "(it has been replaced with a spending requirement), so no, Citytv does not need to air a certain amount of national programming" but you kept going on and on of 2.5 hours. So putting EP Daily at 7PM, reducing Citynews Tonight back down to a half-hour will satisfy the CRTC and use that extra money to bring back Citynews at Noon

I never said they COULDN'T meet their primetime Cancon requirements by cutting CityNews Tonight back to 30 minutes and scheduling EP Daily at 7:00PM, i'm saying that it doesn't make sense for them to do it from a ratings/financial standpoint.

CityNews Channel already has live news at 12:00PM, so it wouldn't cost much extra Citytv to broadcast CityNews at Noon, but even if CityNews Channel didn't exist, I'm at a loss for words for how you think cutting CityNews Tonight back to 30 minutes will somehow give them extra money to launch a Noon newscast. Reducing CityNews Tonight to 30 minutes wouldn't even come close to offsetting the costs of launching a Noon Newscast.

I'm curious, how do you interpreted the numbers BBM puts out? Are the the total number of viewers from start to finish of their timeslot? Or are they a total average
    of viewers watching that timeslot?
    average.

I doubt they're targeting Global; Citynews is #1 within most areas of Toronto (CBC Seems popular in the downtown), however once you take into account the surrounding 905 region is where CFTO and CTV take off ratings wise. Its why Global Toronto opened a bureau out in Mississauga, CTV isn't popular in Toronto, its popular outside around Toronto. So if they want to increase their viewership, they have to target viewers in surrounding regions, not just Toronto.
    lol, where are you getting this from?

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    CityNews Channel already has live news at 12:00PM, so it wouldn't cost much extra Citytv to broadcast CityNews at Noon, but even if CityNews Channel didn't exist, I'm at a loss for words for how you think cutting CityNews Tonight back to 30 minutes will somehow give them extra money to launch a Noon newscast. Reducing CityNews Tonight to 30 minutes wouldn't even come close to offsetting the costs of launching a Noon Newscast.
    If Citynews Channel didn't exist, then there wouldn't have been an extra 30 minutes of Citynews Tonight. Rogers is funding the extra Citynews Tonight by passing the costs onto CNC subscriber revenue and use extra 30 minute content back onto Citytv to meet their local programming without showing expense on Citytv budget alone. CHUM did the exact same thing with Citytv and CP24. The subscriber revenue from CP24 kept Citynews afloat while the rest of the advertising revenue was going down. Think of it as a back-door VFS ;)

average.
    According to BBM, they use Average Minute Audience measurements, the exact "Average Minute" isn't clear, but it explains why CBC The National does "The First 25 Minutes" to boost their ratings.

lol, where are you getting this from?
    A 2008 Viewer Demographic report on paper. So you got to take my word for it.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

[QUOTE=Mayhem;58420]

If Citynews Channel didn't exist, then there wouldn't have been an extra 30 minutes of Citynews Tonight. Rogers is funding the extra Citynews Tonight by passing the costs onto CNC subscriber revenue and use extra 30 minute content back onto Citytv to meet their local programming without showing expense on Citytv budget alone. CHUM did the exact same thing with Citytv and CP24. The subscriber revenue from CP24 kept Citynews afloat while the rest of the advertising revenue was going down. Think of it as a back-door VFS ;)
    Oh, i'm well aware that CityNews Channel is a backdoor Value for Signal for Citytv Toronto. It's kind of funny how Rogers is so against Value for Signal yet the only station they own with a solid commitment to local news benefits from subscriber fees.

According to BBM, they use Average Minute Audience measurements, the exact "Average Minute" isn't clear, but it explains why CBC The National does "The First 25 Minutes" to boost their rating
    The National is a perfect example of where the final half hour does so bad it makes sense to split them into two separate programs. It's also why BT Early Start from 5:30AM to 6:00AM is a separate program from BT, and why Global's Early Morning News from 5:00AM to 6:00AM is separate from their 6:00AM to 9:00AM Morning News (although Global's 5:00AM Early Morning News still outperforms the 6:00AM-9:00AM editions of BT and CTV Morning Live in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton) but most cases it makes sense to keep the program an hour. The final half hour has to do really bad to bring down the rating for the full hour. With the exception of The National, all other hour long late night newscasts are counted as 1 hour programs.

Oh, i'm well aware that CityNews Channel is a backdoor Value for Signal for Citytv Toronto. It's kind of funny how Rogers is so against Value for Signal yet the only station they own with a solid commitment to local news benefits from subscriber fees.
    They all do it, Specialty channels subscriber fees with advertisements cover the costs of the program, CTV does it with CP24 and CTV News Channel. CBC does it with CBC News Network.

The National is a perfect example of where the final half hour does so bad it makes sense to split them into two separate programs. It's also why BT Early Start from 5:30AM to 6:00AM is a separate program from BT, and why Global's Early Morning News from 5:00AM to 6:00AM is separate from their 6:00AM to 9:00AM Morning News (although Global's 5:00AM Early Morning News still outperforms the 6:00AM-9:00AM editions of BT and CTV Morning Live in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton) but most cases it makes sense to keep the program an hour. The final half hour has to do really bad to bring down the rating for the full hour. With the exception of The National, all other hour long late night newscasts are counted as 1 hour programs.
    BBM official count doesn't take into account The National 9PM & 11PM viewers on CBC News Network because The National official start time is at 10PM on CBC-TV. And the fact that 10PM is really a bad time to have it at because your competing with must-see prime time programming.

You also have to remember too that The National is available online via Youtube and CBC.ca, so if you watched The National online, would you watch it again at 10PM on CBC-TV?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

The day-later Jimmy Kimmel reruns that had been on BiteTV have disappeared as of today (on Monday they had the rerun of the show that ABC aired on Friday night), so presumably their contract expired when the new Citytv one began. I like the type of programming on BiteTV and AuxTV, but I swear that you've seen all they have to offer after a month, because of their limited quantity of programs, and they don't seem to get anything new. For example, AuxTV doesn't even show all of the Classic Albums series, just the same small number of episodes over and over again.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 09-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.

The new 11:35 pm start time begins on ABC on Tuesday night, wth guests Jennifer Aniston and No Doubt. From what I can see so far, it looks like Rogers is simply ignoring the ABC move and is not changing anything, continuing to have it at midnight on City(tv), at least in Toronto, now not in simsub and starting 25 minutes later than on ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    The new 11:35 pm start time begins on ABC on Tuesday night, wth guests Jennifer Aniston and No Doubt. From what I can see so far, it looks like Rogers is simply ignoring the ABC move and is not changing anything, continuing to have it at midnight on City(tv), at least in Toronto, now not in simsub and starting 25 minutes later than on ABC.

They are making some changes. It will be removed from the Citytv schedule in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton, and will instead move to OMNI in those markets where it will air in pre-release at 10:00PM. Only Citytv Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Montreal will air it in post-release at 12:00AM.

As I already explained months ago, it would make zero sense for them to give up 2.5 hours of U.S. programming in primetime to simulcast a low rated late night show.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.

"Pre-release"? Ha ha. Is that their weasel word? It's released by ABC at 11:35 pm Eastern Time. No Rogers station starts airing it until at least 25 minutes later.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-08-2013 at 06:00 AM.

They are making some changes. It will be removed from the Citytv schedule in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton, and will instead move to OMNI in those markets where it will air in pre-release at 10:00PM. Only Citytv Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Montreal will air it in post-release at 12:00AM.

As I already explained months ago, it
    would make zero sense for them to give up 2.5 hours of U.S. programming in primetime to simulcast a low rated late night show.
    And to further reiterate that point, it appears that all syndicated U.S. programming is being removed from OMNI.2 as of next Monday (January 21). They do not already have any primetime network programming to simulcast - it's either on Citytv or OMNI.1.