Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rogers Announces Deal for Citytv

Rogers Announces Multiple-title Deal for Citytv

Rogers Media Television group, a division of Rogers Communications, announced yesterday it has signed a contract with Media Rights Capital, an independent film, television and digital studio, and ShineReveille International, the international sales and distribution arm of the Shine Group (all HQ'd in Los Angeles) to broadcast new television series.

The result of the deal - ShineReveille's first with a Canadian broadcaster - is that Citytv will air at least eight new scripted series from MRC's catalog during the 2008-09 broadcast season. Details are still sketchy, but titles that will likely air in Canada include dramatic series I.M. Valentine, Easy Money and F.A.T. City; comedies Rita Rocks, Outnumbered and Krod Mandoon; and animated shows The Life and Times of Tim and The Goode Family.

Most of these shows are set to air on The CW Sundays.

Canada's Rogers Media buys U.S. series

CW lineup part of Shine Reveille deal

By Etan Vlessing
    May 28, 2008, 04:21 PM

TORONTO -- Canadian broadcaster Rogers Media has bought Media Rights Capital's scripted series slate, including the CW's Sunday night lineup, as part of a deal with Shine Reveille International.

Toronto-based Rogers acquired the drama "Valentine Inc.," from Kevin Murphy ("Reaper"), and the midseason series "F.A.T. City," "Surviving the Filthy Rich" and "Easy Money."

Rogers, which recently acquired five youth-skewing Citytv stations nationwide, also picked up the animated series "The Life and Times of Tim" and "The Goode Family," and the comedy series "Rita Rocks," "Outnumbered" and "Krod Mandoon."

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Canadian multi-title deal, coming out of the Los Angeles Screenings, follows Shine Reveille, the international sales and distribution arm of the Shine Group, forming a joint venture with Media Rights Capital to distribute its product internationally.

Earlier, Rogers Media picked up NBC Universal's "Crusoe" for Friday at 8 p.m., and a handful of Fox midseason series that didn't go to rival CanWest Media.

Besides the Citytv stations, Rogers Media owns and operates a string of Omni-branded multicultural TV stations; Rogers Sportsnet, Canada's regional sports channel; and the Shopping Channel.

This also announces that Rogers got Surviving the Filthy Rich which fits perfectly on their schedule. I wonder what are the FOX midseason shows that are not mentioned. Maybe Cleveland is one of them. Would fit with Good Family and Life and times of Tim. SO i presume that The Ex List went to Rogers, leftover from Canwest with Fox....
    Last edited by mtlguy; 05-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Here's what CityTV will look like this fall, with the info we have:

Sunday
    6:30 In Arm's Way (Simulcast CW)
    7:30 Surviving Suburbia (Simulcast CW)
    8:00 Valentine, Inc. (Simulcast CW)
    9:00 Esasy Money (Simulcast CW)

Monday
    8:00 Chuck (Simulcast NBC)
    9:00 TBA (probably a movie)
    10:00 TBA

Tuesday
    8:00 TBA (maybe ABC/20th Opportunity Knocks)
    9:00 Surviving the Filthy Rich (Simulcast CW)

Wednesday
    8:00 America's Next Top Model (Simulcast CW)
    9:00 TBA (probably Stylista)

Thursday
    8:00 Ugly Betty
    9:00 Supernatural

Friday
    8:00 Crusoe
    9:00 America's Next Top Model (Encore) (Simulcast CW)
    Last edited by mtlguy; 05-28-2008 at 11:17 PM.

The Ex-List has been picked up by CanWest.

For the FOX midseason shows (at least those announced during upfront week), there were not many leftovers. CanWest picked up both Dollhouse and Sit Down, Shut Up. I assume they will also pick up The Cleveland Show, since it's a spin-off of Family Guy. Rogers/Citytv most probably picked up Secret Millionaire, which will be paired with returning show Hell's Kitchen on Thursdays in January. Perhaps they might have gone after some of the stuff from MyNetwork TV since the shows in their lineup also come from FOX. That, along with additional FOX shows to be announced later for midseason (the ones that CanWest and/or CTV choose not to pick).

Citytv also has returning show Everybody Hates Chris - a likely possibility could be shifting the show to OMNI to go with their various lineups of sitcoms.
    Last edited by lostjon; 05-28-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Ok, Canwest did NOT picked up The Ex-List.
    http://www.canwest.com/media/viewNew...NewsroomID=823

As far as FOX shows, they are not talking about FOX the network, but shows porduced by 20th Century Fox Television Studios. Those are spread over most networks (and cable).

Alright, with regards to FOX, thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling all along that the pickups had to do with 20th Century Fox, and not strictly with the network, which I initially thought in my mind.

In terms of The Ex List, I based my statement on a message found in the thread "CanWest picks up The Ex List" posted in the discussion forums for Global & E! courtesy of TVViewer. Indeed, the show is not included in their original press release of fall pickups, as the official announcement of its pickup was only made few days ago. Unless TVViewer has it wrong, I stand by that statement.

Alright so I missed that one, so I guess you were both half right. I think that Opportunity Knocks is probably one of the Fox leftover picked up.

Else from that they basically need a lot of shows to fill up the 10pm hour. I can maybe see either showing those sci-fi shows like Stargate Atlantis (if they still have the rights) or maybe try a 10pm newscast...

Rogers could also pick up some US cable shows, the variety is bigger than ever and I think there is a market for those. Maybe Roger is wise enough to know that.

Yes, Canwest has picked up The Ex-List. the pick ups for both The Ex-List and Do Not Disturb were made after the press release was announced. this comes from a source inside Canwest.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-30-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    or maybe try a 10pm newscast...
    I think that might work better for City than an 11:00 newscast. They could at least market it as "(insert city name here)'s only 10:00 local newscast." They really don't stand a chance against CTV and Global in most, if not every, market. Also are all of City's shows confirmed or could the ones that CHUM had rights to, and then sold to CTV, still air on A-Channel?

an 10:00PM newscast is not such a bad idea, Citytv Toronto's 11:00PM newscast doesn't even come close to CTV or Global's late night newscast, and the rest of the Citytv stations don't even have newscasts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Also are all of City's shows confirmed or could the ones that CHUM had rights to, and then sold to CTV, still air on A-Channel?
    Nothing has been confirmed yet. We'll find out more when CTV releases their fall schedules next week.

I bet Citytv/Rogers is regretting making that deal with MRC, since MRC has stopped production on both Valentine and and Easy Money. Both shows were pulling less than 1 million viewers over on The CW.

I don't think that Citytv is totally regretting it, in fact, if anything they'll be able to purchase some cheap VH1 reality crap and make a bundle.

Production is on hiatus for those 2 shows whcih have been well received by critics. They are not canceled yet. They may get cancel eventually, but they are still going to air for now.

They're claiming more time needed to complete scripts.

That's what they are claiming, but since both shows can't even seem to get 1 million viewers, I can't see how they will not cancel these shows.

This whole thing was a horrible idea from the start. The CW gave up on the night because nobody was watching, and since The CW doesn't make money from the MRC shows, they are not going to promote them when they can promote the shows they own. So with no promotion, and on a network that nobody is watching, I can't see how MRC expected scripted shows to make money for them.

MRC should just fill the night with cheap reality programming, and then once MRC's contract is up The CW should just give the night to the local stations or air movies, which is something i'm surprised they don't do, since The CW is co-owned by WARNER BROTHERS!

The CW needs a new person in charge, what they have now is not working. Did you know that they passed on The Secret Life of the American Teenager? Even though it's airing on ABC Family which get's much less coverage, it has managed to get higher ratings than EVERY show on The CW, it's also beat every CW show in demos like 12-24 and 18-34, the demo that CW wants.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 10-17-2008 at 08:21 PM.

I've been enjoying The Secret Life Of The American Teenager (the unfortunately acronymed SLAT!). I'm impressed with the offerings for younger viewers these days. Greek. Kyle XY. I may not be their target audience (being in my 40s), but they take me back to high school days. Things haven't changed that much, after all.

The CW should have stuck with re-airings on Sundays. All of the other American networks have very strong lineups, so it's hard for anything new to break into well-entrenched viewing habits. I haven't been able to see Easy Money yet, but I've seen one Valentine, and it didn't hook me.

I agree that The CW needs a new leader. They have some decent scripted shows and I'd miss them if the network were to fold, so TPTB need to do what they can to save this sinking ship. Losing the putrid-green graphics might be a start...

CW's poor ratings lead to dismissal of President... of MRC
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ee44b9ae?hl=en

Fall TV network report cards
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...be17eaecf99693

I don't really see how they can blame MRC besides the fact that they should have only made cheap unscripted programming. I don't see how they thought they would make money with all new scripted programming with no lead-in on a dead network that nobody is watching.

If any President should be leaving it's the one from The CW. I don't really get why she got the job in the first place, it's not like she did anything for UPN.