Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Expect another big delay in launch of Anik G1

Looks like there will likely be another big delay coming with the launch of Anik G1. There was another launch anomaly with a satellite by the company contracted to launch Anik G1.

Time for Shaw Direct to get off their asses and start converting Anik F1R and F2 to MPEG4. If they delay goes well beyond June 30th, I wonder how Shaw Direct will add all those mandatory locals.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/...402-satellite/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
    Last edited by bigoranget; 12-09-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Not sure the CRTC would be too forgiving of another extension. Shaw would have to drop any and all PPV and any CI/NFL/MBsports packages to create some space. Dropping some more West Coast feeds would free up a little. Dropping Spokane again would free up some space. Oasis and Space HD may get dropped temporarily to create some more room. Some selected channels moved to MPEG4 may make up the rest. Are there any alternative launch vehicles out there and what would the cost be to move the satellite around the world assuming you could find a launch slot. Shaw Direct is really going to suffer in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    Not sure the CRTC would be too forgiving of another extension. Shaw would have to drop any and all PPV and any CI/NFL/MBsports packages to create some space. Dropping some more West Coast feeds would free up a little. Dropping Spokane again would free up some space. Oasis and Space HD may get dropped temporarily to create some more room. Some selected channels moved to MPEG4 may make up the rest. Are there any alternative launch vehicles out there and what would the cost be to move the satellite around the world assuming you could find a launch slot. Shaw Direct is really going to suffer in 2013.
    There are other companies but that takes time to plan and schedule. If the Russian space company were to cancel the launch of Anik G1; this would likely cause a significant delay (probably a few years). This is why Shaw Direct really needs to work on a Plan B such as converting existing HD to MPEG-4

WHat would make more sense convert existing HD to MPEG-4 or convert all their French channels to MPEG4. What would give them the best bang for their buck. They would have probably still have to offer Radio Canada and TVA Montreal in MPEG2 for the rest of Canada. I wonder how many French Bilingual subscribers they have. They cost of upgraded receivers for that group might be less than doing all the HD suvscribers across the country. Or a combination of all French subscribers and TMN subscribers. Shouldn't be to hard to calculate the number of subscribers impacted and the number of receivers they would have to upgrade to make sure no one looses service. This would probably only be a stop gap if it works and would mean no new HD until the launch situation is resolved.

bigoranget I would imagine your signature line is only get longer until this is resolved.

The new tentative Launch Date for Anik G1 is May 27, 2013. This date could change pending the outcome of the investigation on the most recent launch failure.

I think at this point Shaw is going to have to assume that they will not have Anik G1 in service by 6/30 so they are going to have to start looking at converting some of the transponders on Anik F1R and/or F2 to MPEG-4

Icon14 New Satelite Launch now April 16, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    The new tentative Launch Date for Anik G1 is May 27, 2013. This date could change pending the outcome of the investigation on the most recent launch failure.

I think at this point Shaw is going to have to assume that they will not have Anik G1 in service by 6/30 so they are going to have to start looking at converting some of the transponders on Anik F1R and/or F2 to MPEG-4

I was just on with Shaw Direct and they told me that the new satelite is going up on April 16, 2013 now. Let's hope it happens.. SIGH.....

Once launched they will test it out and expect to make the additional HD Channels available some time in May 2013.

This is your last chance Shaw Direct. NO MORE DELAYS!!! Iif the new HD Channels do not come in May, I am done and switching to Bell Fibe TV as soon as it is in my area.

MORE HD....MORE HD. Please!