Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed and FuelTV to become Fox Sports 1 & 2

In case you were living under a rock this week...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fox-rem...6704--mma.html

Speed, which is distributed in Canada, will become Fox Sports 1.
    FuelTV, not available here, will become Fox Sports 2.
    All sports programming on FX (which includes The Ultimate Fighter) will move to Fox Sports.
    Change will be effective August 1st, 2013.

"Fox Sports 1 will become the home of premier Major League Baseball, NASCAR, college football, UFC, soccer and other sports programming, while Fox Sports 2 will be the next tier down for less popular or ancillary programming."

CBS already renamed CBS College Sports Network to CBS Sports Network (distributed in Canada) and NBC renamed OLN/Versus to NBC Sports Network (not authorized in Canada), while ESPN still belongs to ABC-Disney.

The CRTC opted since the NCN/CMT incident to not remove foreign channels when a canadian equivalent launches except when there's a mutual agreement, distribution of SpikeTV was challenged a few years ago due to MenTV, but will TSN and Sportsnet require blackouts or removal or Fox Sports 1 ?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "You're watching Global, part of chat, part of chien, part of porc-épic..."
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    The CRTC opted since the NCN/CMT incident to not remove foreign channels when a canadian equivalent launches except when there's a mutual agreement, distribution of SpikeTV was challenged a few years ago due to MenTV, but will TSN and Sportsnet require blackouts or removal or Fox Sports 1 ?
    The CRTC opted not to remove foreign channels from Canada if they already existed in Canada, and a Canadian version of that channel/genre launches or was approved later, which is the case with NCN/CMT. This is different, this is a foreign channel that was approved based on the genre it originally had when it was approved, now it is changing its genre which would compete with an already existing Canadian channel. So, this could be challenged and Speed could possibly be removed later on, especially since it likely would compete with Bell's TSN, and Bell was quoted awhile back saying something along the lines of no more foreign channels (likely only meaning they don't want any more English or French, I assume they're ok with ethnic channels) should be allowed in Canada, for some reason, I forget what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    The CRTC opted not to remove foreign channels from Canada if they already existed in Canada, and a Canadian version of that channel/genre launches or was approved later, which is the case with NCN/CMT. This is different, this is a foreign channel that was approved based on the genre it originally had when it was approved, now it is changing its genre which would compete with an already existing Canadian channel. So, this could be challenged and Speed could possibly be removed later on, especially since it likely would compete with Bell's TSN, and Bell was quoted awhile back saying something along the lines of no more foreign channels (likely only meaning they don't want any more English or French, I assume they're ok with ethnic channels) should be allowed in Canada, for some reason, I forget what it was.
    Do you think Bell/Rogers will ask to have Fox Sports removed?

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Do you think Bell/Rogers will ask to have Fox Sports removed?
    I think Bell certainly will. As they should. Rogers, I'm not so sure of, but Bell IMO is almost guaranteed. Especially since it would compete with one of their juggernauts, TSN. And as I've said, Bell has said in the past, they don't want anymore foreign channels licensed for Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    In case you were living under a rock this week...
    Well, this is now at least the third time in a about a year that this story has been reported as new,

March 2012
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ival-espn.html

and at least the second time someone has started a thread about it here.

October 2012

http://www.channelcanada.com/discuss...randed-channel

And, once again, just as with each of the other times, not to say it won't happen, but it is still not based on any announcement or anything heard directly from Fox.

Jan. 22, 2013

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...s-1-and-2.html
    Despite months and months of reporting, hints, indications, rumors, speculation, and more, Fox has still yet to officially announce the launch of Fox Sports 1.
    If and when it does happen, I hope we continue to receive whichever one will continue having the non-Nascar racing, speaking as someone who watches sports car racing like the 24 Hours of Daytona on Speed as I type this.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.

You are right Donovan's Monkey, these proposed changes have been talked about for a while now but that doesn't mean they won't happen. Conglomerates take their time making changes, they probably haven't made a final decision on what moves they will be making but I believe that there will be moves made. Another rumor I read about the other day is that Fox Soccer will be re-branded as a second FX network, all comedy programming on FX will be moved to this new re-branded channel and FX will retain the drama programming.

I agree with the others that if Speed is re-branded 'Fox Sports 1' then it will definitely be removed from the approved list. I think that both Bell & Rogers will complain and request to have it removed and if they already have the rights to much of the programming that will air on Fox Sports 1 then there is no point to keep the channel as most of the programming will be blacked out due to rights issues.

I think they should keep Fuel TV, merge the racing programing from Speed into that channel and perhaps that will help increase carriage?! You could then replace Speed with Fuel TV on the approved list as most of its programming will be auto racing which is not currently available here, I believe?! The more likely scenario however is that Bell & Rogers will pick up the rights to various racing events to air on their channels. At this rate it won't be long before we see Sportsnet 8 ("The Ocho")

I don't think TSN and Rogers Sportsnet will bother with anything because CBS Sports and most likely FOX Sports wont have any exclusive rights to programming in Canada. Chances are if they haven't said anything about CBS Sports (A channel both Bell and Rogers carry) they wont bother with FOX Sports either.

IMO some might have CRTC to remove FS1 since The Score has the Fox Sports programming library.

As such, Speed/FS1 could be replaced by Sun News Network which Quebecor wanted to be carried on basic cable like CBCNN and CTVNC. I am sure that it could be a poor mans seed doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPlaqueVII View Post
    The Score has the Fox Sports programming library.
    What Fox Sports stuff does The Score show?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    What Fox Sports stuff does The Score show?
    250 hours of college sports and some shows from FSN and Fuel TV. There you go. :)

What do they show from Fuel TV?

Yesterday the August launch of Fox Sports 1 on what has been Speed was finally announced. http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...sports-network

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I agree with the others that if Speed is re-branded 'Fox Sports 1' then it will definitely be removed from the approved list. I think that both Bell & Rogers will complain and request to have it removed and if they already have the rights to much of the programming that will air on Fox Sports 1 then there is no point to keep the channel as most of the programming will be blacked out due to rights issues...... The more likely scenario however is that Bell & Rogers will pick up the rights to various racing events to air on their channels...
    I don't know why Rogers or Bell would care if the new 'Fox Sports 1' remained available as long as it was blacked out when showing the same programming as TSN or Sportsnet. I suppose, if they thought it was a worthwhile idea, they might see this as an opportunity to start their own motorsports niche channel, similar to Speed/SpeedVision or Motors TV in Europe, to quickly take the place of Speed (at least on their own systems, and perhaps others). Several years ago TSN was apparently considering a "Motoring" channel (as in their automotive show of that name) that would have auto racing, but dropped the idea. And Rogers has ignored racing almost entirely until recently, and I doubt they have ever considered a Rogers MotorSportsnet.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    What do they show from Fuel TV?
    I installed their app on my iPhone. Fuel TV sschedule is based mostly on UFC content with other mixed martial arts shows to fill schedule holes.

As mentionned above, Fox Soccer Channel will become FX2, meaning FX will keep dramas and FX2 will air comedies.
    Hopefully, FX Canada will remain the same, they don't have enough material to fill their schedule anyway.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I believe FOX Sports 1 will remain available in Canada. FOX will likely provide an alternate feed for Canadian cable systems with replaced programming for sporting events that are not cleared for Canadian viewer's. The only way I can see FOX Sports 1 disappearing is if FOX themselves have no interest in making the service available in Canada.

Well, my dad is one step closer to cancelling his cable. Speed was one of the only reasons he kept it.

I have no idea if someone will complain to the the CRTC, which is what I think must happen for the issue to be examined, but if the channel stays available after the format change, Fox Sports will have essentially worked their way around the requirement for a minimum percentage of Canadian ownership. Some, including ESPN (through TSN) who were only allowed into Canada by buying their maximum allowed minority percentage of TSN, could object. I know this may have already happened with the CBS Sports Network, but that's still largely a college sports channel with a low profile and relatively few subscribers in Canada, while Speed was actually available on Rogers analog cable at one time, and is still part of a more widely distributed digital package.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    Well, my dad is one step closer to cancelling his cable. Speed was one of the only reasons he kept it.
    Someone -- Bell, Rogers, Motors TV, or some combination of them -- should realize this presents them with a rare opportunity to possibly step in to replace Speed on many BDUs with a new motorsports channel, at a time when any other type of new channel would be much less likely to get carried.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 03-12-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Someone -- Bell, Rogers, Motors TV, or some combination of them -- should realize this presents them with a rare opportunity to possibly step in to replace Speed on many BDUs with a new motorsports channel, at a time when any other type of new channel would be much less likely to get carried.
    We could use a new motorsports channel, to be honest. Unfortunately, I only started having access to SPEED in the final months that it was still Speedvision before being renamed Speed Channel and it became dominated by NASCAR coverage. You look in other parts of the world like Europe, and they have so many motorsports channels, like Motors TV. If not a Canadian version of it, then it would be nice to have it included in the list of foreign channels approved for carriage by the CRTC.

Apparently it is unlikely that any North American broadcaster will start a new motorsports channel to replace Speed, since they are convinced by the supposed failure of Speed that it would not be possible to make money. Therefore I have filled in the contact form on the Motors TV website urging them to make Motors TV available in Canada, and I will similarly contact Rogers. Perhaps others could do the same with Motors TV, and their BDU (Cogeco, Shaw, Bell, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Apparently it is unlikely that any North American broadcaster will start a new motorsports channel to replace Speed, since they are convinced by the supposed failure of Speed that it would not be possible to make money.
    Errrrr, no.

Speed hasn't fail. Speed lost F1 broadcasting rights to NBC. With only the NASCAR remaining, it was a better idea to transform the channel from niche motorsports channel to mainstream sports channel.