Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 105
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I'll believe that when I see it.
    Its all smoke and mirrors, according to what I was told by one of the higher ups at Shaw Direct, 30-50 of these 'new' HD channels will be HD PPV channels. Also, several of the new additions will be HD locals so the actual number of 'real' HD channels (i.e. specialty services) will not be as high as they are stating, which is exactly what bigoranget has been saying for a while now.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Shaw Direct will add the following channels + any channels that Shaw Cable adds between now and when G1 goes into Service

    Family HD
    Disney XD
    YTV HD
    W Movies HD
    Movietime HD
    Movie Central 3 HD (West)
    MXS HD (East)
    MFun! HD (East)
    MEncore HD (East)
    BNN HD
    Bravo HD
    Animal Planet HD
    Discovery Channel HD
    Sportsnet World HD

    Don't expect anything more than what's listed above.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    I never said Shaw Hamilton didn't carry CityNews Channel
    I wasn't directing that comment at you, it was just an overall observation.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Later this Spring when Shaw Direct's new satellite is up they will be adding hundreds of HD channels, I would expect CBC News Network to be one of them. They simply don't have room at the moment.
    Can you answer why Shaw Cbale doesn't carry it? The have the bandwidth in most of the major markets and they certainly do not need satellite relay distribution for this signal. It's readily available via fibre. Also Shaw Direct/Shaw Cable will never match what other providers have. They have a long history of having a poor HD channel line-up in comparison to ther providers. I don't believe the launch of G1 will change anything. As I listed above they will likely ONLY add what Shaw Cable already has, some HD locals and then add 50+ HD PPV channels but in reality they will still be missing dozens of channels other providers carry.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,967
    Shaw Direct will add the following channels + any channels that Shaw Cable adds between now and when G1 goes into Service
    In addition to those mentioned, I expect them to add all Corus HD channels (ABC Spark HD, Cartoon Network HD, OWN HD, Teletoon HD & W Network HD), the remaining High Fidelity channels (eqHD, HIFI, radX- they need more Cat. B channels to comply with CRTC regulation), any new channels Shaw Media launches (H2 HD, Lifetime HD, Slice HD) and perhaps the following:

    CityNews Channel HD
    Comedy Network HD
    CTV News Channel HD
    Discovery Science HD
    MuchMusic HD
    Travel + Escape HD
    WFN HD
    Wild TV HD

    Also, I expect to see some American HD channels added as Shaw loves American channels. I think Bloomberg HD, Military Channel HD, Spike HD, TCM HD might be some likely additions.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    If they're not on Shaw Cable, then I doubt they will be on Shaw Direct. It's possible between now and when ANik G1 launches, Shaw Cable might add some more channels but I gaurantee the line-up will be the same on both systems.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    My point exactly, Global BC's news programming dominates every single time slot. They are unmatched in Canada when it comes to the number of successful newscasts they produce, not carrying their all news channel is not the same as not carrying a channel like CityNews Channel, especially since it's not Toronto's only all news channel. It's harder for Bell to get away with not carrying BC1 long term
    Alright, forgetting the point of the dangers of a dominate newscast aside; I think Bell will be the last ones in (if at all), no matter how "many" people will call up demanding for it. By the way, have you been calling Bell up demanding for BC1?


    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I don't think a successful half hour national newscast is enough to justify a successful 24/7 news channel, but when you can successfully produce 8 hours of news a day I think it's a pretty good indication that you will have success with an all news channel. Global BC has found success with newscasts scheduled in time slots other dominant stations don't even dare to attempt, in fact, they have successful newscasts in time slots even 24/7 news channels don't produce live news in. Their incredible success with news from morning to night 7 days a week is a pretty clear indication that they will be successful with 24/7 news.
    I think you missed my point (and The National is a hour, two hours if you count it on CBC NN). That a successful newscast doesn't necessarily mean a successful news channel, you can't equate the two.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer;60889[SIZE=2
    ]
    It's only a matter of time before all BC providers carry BC1, but their
    [/SIZE]customers shouldn't have to wait, the more people who call now and ask for it or switch their service to Shaw the faster it will be added.
    Canceling ones contact isn't easy as you may think. With Bell TV for example, if you cancel your contract early, you have to pay $31 per month up to the maximum of a $100 for the time remaining in your contract, plus $99 for the first receiver and $50 for every receiver there after and then add those together with HST/GST on top (because its still a service). Then you have to call up Shaw, try to not only find a time that they can come over to even check that your house/apartment/condo has Shaw Cable all hooked up properly, but to figure out how they're packages work, and if they're like Rogers, they'll probably only advertise the big (high price) packages to you; and we're not even including that you go out and buy the digital cable box yourself which probably save time but not money, then at the end of all of this, you'll probably end up spend close to $400 to switch your entire BDU system around just for one channel. Is it really worth going though all that trouble for one channel?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Can you answer why Shaw Cbale doesn't carry it? .


    Shaw may not have CBC News Network in HD but they do carry more Canadian news channels than any other provider. Shaw beats both Telus and Bell when it comes to giving their customers the most choice for news! I think if you gave anyone in BC the choice of CBC News Network, BC1, and BC1 HD with no CBC News Network HD vs CBC News Network, CBC News Network HD, with no BC1 and no BC1 HD the vast majority would choose the first option. There are plenty of existing threads to complain about Shaw's HD offerings, this thread is about BC1 and news viewers in BC and Shaw blows their competition out of the water when it comes to serving news viewers in British Columbia.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,140
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    Shaw may not have CBC News Network in HD but they do carry more Canadian news channels than any other provider.
    How does Shaw carry more Canadian news channels than any other provider? Because they will soon launch BC1? A channel that they own, mind you. I very highly doubt that Shaw would be adding this channel, unless they are essentially backed into a corner to carry because it is bundled with other channels, if it were not to be owned by them.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=Mayhem;60908]

    Alright, forgetting the point of the dangers of a dominate newscast aside; I think Bell will be the last ones in (if at all), no matter how "many" people will call up demanding for it. By the way, have you been calling Bell up demanding for BC1?
    BCTV has dominated the market for decades. I think you can put your fear to rest.


    I think you missed my point (and The National is a hour, two hours if you count it on CBC NN). That a successful newscast doesn't necessarily mean a successful news channel, you can't equate the two.
    I believe your point was that one successful newscast doesn't necessarily mean success with news all day on a news channel, and you used the fact that CTV National News is successful but CTV News Channel falls behind CBC News Network as your example. I agree with you on that point, but here's the thing, Global BC is already extremely successful with news all day. There is a major difference between producing one successful newscast and producing 8 hours of successful news a day (6 hours on weekends) from morning to night 7 days a week, so sorry I don't see any logic in your theory that a station producing 8 hours of highly rated news a day wont have success with an all news channel.

    Canceling ones contact isn't easy as you may think. With Bell TV for example, if you cancel your contract early, you have to pay $31 per month up to the maximum of a $100 for the time remaining in your contract, plus $99 for the first receiver and $50 for every receiver there after and then add those together with HST/GST on top (because its still a service). Then you have to call up Shaw, try to not only find a time that they can come over to even check that your house/apartment/condo has Shaw Cable all hooked up properly, but to figure out how they're packages work, and if they're like Rogers, they'll probably only advertise the big (high price) packages to you; and we're not even including that you go out and buy the digital cable box yourself which probably save time but not money, then at the end of all of this, you'll probably end up spend close to $400 to switch your entire BDU system around just for one channel. Is it really worth going though all that trouble for one channel?
    FYI, not everyone with Bell is on a rental contract. People switch their service all the time, you are totally over-exaggerating how difficult and costly it is. You also have absolutely no idea how easy and cost-effective it is to sign up for Shaw. All it takes is one phone call to Shaw to find out how much you will have to pay and your existing provider will let you know of any cancellation fees before you cancel, Instead of taking your theories seriously people should find out for themselves if switching to Shaw is in their best interest financially.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    There are plenty of existing threads to complain about Shaw's HD offerings, this thread is about BC1 and news viewers in BC and Shaw blows their competition out of the water when it comes to serving news viewers in British Columbia.
    People want their channels in HD these days and the other providers blow Shaw out of the water in HD News offerings. I believe both Bell and Telus offer CTV News Channel, CBC News Network, Sun News, RDI, LCN, CNN, HLN and MSNBC in HD. Shaw has just CNN and Global News BC1.
    Last edited by bigoranget; 03-11-2013 at 09:23 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    One other thing I wanted to point out, how do you know Bell, Telus and Delta Cable (Eastlink) are refusing to carry the service? Maybe like the other Media conglomerates; they are playing hard ball. Perhaps Shaw wants the exclusivity for period of time to get people to switch over.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Shaw... do carry more Canadian news channels than any other provider.
    That's not true.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    People want their channels in HD these days and the other providers blow Shaw out of the water in HD News offerings. I believe both Bell and Telus offer CTV News Channel, CBC News Network, Sun News, RDI, LCN, CNN, HLN and MSNBC in HD. Shaw has just CNN and Global News BC1.

    Quality over Quantity. None of those news channels Shaw doesn't carry in HD do great in BC and will likely be beat by BC1 in the ratings. Shaw carries all those channels in SD (while Bell and Telus DO NOT) and is the exclusive home for BC's only all news channel from BC's news powerhouse! Shaw has the news channels in HD the majority of their BC customers want the most, Bell and Telus are both missing the most important all news channel for BC viewers, and carrying a number of lower rated news channels in HD which largely ignore BC will not make up for that.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    One other thing I wanted to point out, how do you know Bell, Telus and Delta Cable (Eastlink) are refusing to carry the service? Maybe like the other Media conglomerates; they are playing hard ball. Perhaps Shaw wants the exclusivity for period of time to get people to switch over.
    Shaw is not keeping Global News BC1 exclusive to Shaw. Again, this post is for BC viewers. Many are asking which channel BC1 will be on with these providers because they assume they will carry it at launch date, they need to know that Bell and Telus have not yet signed up to carry BC1 and if they want the channel by launch enough people need to call their provider or switch to Shaw by March 14.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Can you prove that is the case? I don't see any reason why Telus Optik, Novous and Eastlink would not carry Global BC N1. Chances are Shaw hasn't negotiated a contract with other providers yet. Look at Nat Geo WILD; most systems didn't pick it up until a few months after it launched.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Shaw carries all those channels in SD (while Bell and Telus DO NOT)
    What channels are you referring to? MSNBC is the only channel that isn't carried on Bell in SD.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    There is a major difference between producing one successful newscast and producing 8 hours of successful news a day (6 hours on weekends) from morning to night 7 days a week, so sorry I don't see any logic in your theory that a station producing 8 hours of highly rated news a day wont have success with an all news channel.
    Assuming that you have finite number of viewers in the market, they're ether going to continue to watch the eight hours of news on the conventional Global BC station or switch over cable channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    FYI, not everyone with Bell is on a rental contract.

    FYI, you still have to pay $100 with or without a rental receiver. It applies to anyone who has a Bell TV Service. Not to mention if you bought the receiver outright you probably shelled out $500 for a HD PVR box that only works with Bell, and you're probably going to have to shell out another $200-400 (before tax) for a Shaw HD PVR if you want to own the receiver instead of rent.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    People switch their service all the time, you are totally over-exaggerating how difficult and costly it is.
    Your giving the impression that there will be a mass exorcise of Bell TV subscribers over one channel. That's pretty clear definition of over-exaggerating if I say so myself.



    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    You also have absolutely no idea how easy and cost-effective it is to sign up for Shaw. All it takes is one phone call to Shaw to find out how much you will have to pay and your existing provider will let you know of any cancellation fees before you cancel, Instead of taking your theories seriously people should find out for themselves if switching to Shaw is in their best interest financially.
    I gave you the cancellation fees in my last post. Plus going over the fact that if you owned a Bell Receiver your still at a financial loss because you paid for a box that will be useless now, and your going to end up spending upwards to $270 for a new system, not including if you need more than one receiver. All because of one channel.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Global News BC1 launches March 14th, but as of now neither Bell or Telus have signed up to carry the channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Shaw carries all those channels in SD and is the exclusive home for BC's only all news channel from BC's news powerhouse!
    OK, now you deserve a slap behind the head.
    You say it's exclusive after you blame Bell and Telus for not signing up for the channel.
    What are you complaining about then ? It's just a PR stunt, it's been done before, like almost any latest channel launch.

    - Sun News launched for free on OTA, Bell refused to pay to carry the "free" channel with good reasons, Quebecor asks Bell to remove the channel then slam Bell on-air, calling it a bully.
    - Rogers launched FX Canada, their on-air promos finish by saying "Not available on Bell".
    - Groupe TVA launched Yoopa and TVA Sports on Videotron, Astral launched Disney Junior (french) on Bell and Bell launched RDS2, then each provider had the exclusivity for the new channel and blamed each other until they came to a carriage agreement one year later.

    So, conclusion, Global BC1 will launch exclusively on Shaw and Shaw Direct, will blame other providers for months for not carrying it, and a year later, it will be added on competitors.

    If TVViewer is not re-inventing the wheel, I don't know what it is.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,463

    British Columbia gets rained on!

    Ah yes, welcome to the no spin zone.

    As you know, TVViewer just meant that BC1 is only a Shaw exclusive at the moment, simply because Bell and the gang haven't picked it up yet (but yes, it's spun to make Shaw look superior). And in post #35 he reiterates that Global is not keeping BC1 as a Shaw exclusive (I was trying to ignore the spin because this was posted in the Rant section, even though it always looked like an unofficial Shaw press release to me).

    TVViewer is simply trying to make lemonade out of a lemon (perhaps with the spin setting on his blender). A year from now, BC1 might relaunch as Toronto1 (back from the grave), giving the Western viewers even more news from Canada's true capital city.

    I guess this rant thread could double as a public service announcement ... perhaps just like AMC's warning to Rogers' customers, that they might lose the channel if a new deal wasn't worked out. In both cases, the BDUs are made to look like they are controlled by evil businessmen trying to deny the customers of a valuable service.

    It would only be shocking to me if Bell and the gang actually picked up BC1 by launch date. Spin control always gets me dizzy, but I still like to see the various sides bickering back and forth until a deal is finally done. Like it or not, TVViewer appears to be part of that spin control (even though it happens to be his own opinion, it does indeed look like a "paid" opinion).

    The good news is that with the launch of Global's BC1, a few more people will finally realize that British Columbia is actually a Canadian province and NOT a country jointly owned by The UK and Colombia.

    Anyway, I prefer getting my news from Global Saskatoon:

    Last edited by PokerFace; 01-14-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Thanks to the recent Steve Harvey situation, I corrected the incorrect spelling of Columbia to Colombia.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •