Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: The Good Wife

The Good Wife

What's up with Global? It was suppose to air simulcast of "The Good Wife" but according to Tvguide.ca there are no new episodes airing on Global - only on CBS.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I don't like watching it on CBS because the show almost never start on time when I tape it show.

Global has repeats all night on Tuesday the 16th, 10pm on Wednesday the 17th, 10pm on Thursday the 18th and all of Saturday and they can't find a spot for it...The Good Wife is one of the best show on network TV. Yes it is not the highest rated one, but there is 3 episode left to the season...that's really bad.

I assume Globaltv.com will still have all the new episodes made available for online streaming in glorious SD, the day after they air.

Sorry Mom, but it looks like you'll need to go to the library and stream the episodes that Global skips, or wait until I download them for you and then you can come visit me in prison when you have the time.

At least Global doesn't always simsub The Good Wife episodes; that's at least some good news for cable/satellite subscribers.

And ABC's Wife Swap isn't aired on a Canadian channel (at least that I know of), which is also good news ... although I did enjoy the Celebrity Wife Swap episode with Kendra (I like dumb blondes ... especially the rich ones!).
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's been temporarily removed from the Global schedule as they have decided to simulcast a show with higher ratings in the time slot.
    You call "Celebrity Apprentice" a higher ratings show? It's a NBC reality show... 'nuff said. And the "Animation rules" evening is broken... again.

I gotta give credit to Global for at least doing some effort to reschedule shows during the same week.

Sunday April 21, CTV have the JUNO Awards, so they program Amazing Race in pre-release at 7pm and dump Once Upon a Time on CTV2.

Citytv. Thursday March 28th at 9pm, Fox scheduled the season finale of Raising Hope, but City decided to keep a rerun of Person of Interest in simulcast. The next thursday, April 4th, Fox schedule new episodes of New Girl and Mindy against a new episode of Person, so both comedies were shelved. Wednesdays, when Suburgatory moved to 8:30 and How to live with your parents premiered, Cougar Town was shelved. Since Hannibal was to premiere the next day in simulcast, Scandal was moved wednesday 10pm in pre-release, shelving Rules of Engagement.

But the previous week, 1600 Penn (fridays) ended, so they went on with Curb Your Enthusiasm, 7th season (2009) syndicated, and on sunday night at 8pm, they went on with Rules of Engagement from the beginning of season 7 (current) followed by a 30 Rock filler... Like if there's no room for all those missed shows in the schedule...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Reality shows often get higher ratings even though they are not necessarily of higher quality.

There's apparently no urgency for our Canadian channels to show all the American content in a logical manner. They seem to be quite content with the status quo.

Those examples of programming irregularities are further proof that it's just assumed that people will flip through the channels and watch whatever is on at the time. However, if you just have limited OTA options, it's much tougher to simply laugh away the incompetence or apathy that is often shown by the broadcasters.

The TV broadcasters have the majority of the eyeballs, so they can taunt and upset the TV viewers as often as they would like to. "Logical" scheduling of content is easier to do when you simply concentrate on ratings and ignore disgruntled viewers. Concentrate on the masses and let the others twist in the wind. The broadcasters practically dare you to go elsewhere for your content because they know that most people won't bother. And if enough people find ways to circumvent all this madness, that's when broadcasters and governments just make those ways illegal, or at least harder to use.

I'm glad it appears that Global isn't too concerned that many of us will watch The Good Wife on CBS. And the longer that cord-cutting remains an insignificant blip on Canada's radar, the better things will be for me.

I don't program my DVR for Canadian network, the only way I watch tv these days is recordings, unless there is a very good reason to. The Good Wife is (was) one of those. Any shows on CBS on Sunday night is almost every week delayed, so recording nightmare. I record them on Global or CTV that way I don't miss the end, or half the show.

In this particular case I understand they want to air in simulcast what gives them the higher ratings, no matter the quality of the show. BUT to completely remove a show from the schedule instead of putting it elsewhere when you have tons of repeat programming that same week is just saying to people who watch 'Thank you for watching Global, but this week we don't care about your show, so go watch somewhere else'. Celebrity Apprentice was on Saturday if I am not mistaken, so why not have The Good Wife in it's place. It's not like anybody watches Network TV on Saturday night anyway, so they would not lose many viewers.

It's just disrespectful of their viewers, nothing more, nothing less.

Saturdays are for CanCon stuff and the new Ready For Love reality Tv series.

Global previously aired the burnoff episodes of Made in Jersey on Saturday nights (usually no simsub), so I'm not saying that they couldn't fit The Good Wife somewhere on their schedule, but it obviously doesn't matter to them. Why it doesn't matter to them, is the real baffling thing. It should matter to them, but that's why I find it even more interesting that they don't seem to care. It's almost as if Global has determined that anything that doesn't get high enough ratings, can simply be discarded or ignored. What are you gonna do about it, Canada? Yeah, that's what we figured. Nothing. Talk to the hand because the (Poker)Face ain't listening.

It makes sense to use the Canadian feeds for recording on Sundays, etc., but if Global wants to temporarily divorce itself from The Good Wife, Canadians can always divorce themselves from Global.

Imagine if you had the power to personally e-mail all the BBM households and influence them to stop watching Global until The Good Wife was added back to the Global schedule. You can't do that, but if you could, that would certainly get The Good Wife back on the Global schedule, lickity split.

Until you gain that power, Global and the other Canadian stations will simply walk all over you. Time to hire a lawyer.

I don't think Global usually airs first run episodes on-line before it is aired on TV. It would not make financial sense because they would loose ad revenue. I will keep an eye on their website, just in case you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    I assume Globaltv.com will still have all the new episodes made available for online streaming in glorious SD, the day after they air.

Sorry Mom, but it looks like you'll need to go to the library and stream the episodes that Global skips, or wait until I download them for you and then you can come visit me in prison when you have the time.

At least Global doesn't always simsub The Good Wife episodes; that's at least some good news for cable/satellite subscribers.

And ABC's Wife Swap isn't aired on a Canadian channel (at least that I know of), which is also good news ... although I did enjoy the Celebrity Wife Swap episode with Kendra (I like dumb blondes ... especially the rich ones!).
    Last edited by Avonregal; 04-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Since online streaming is primarily used and promoted as something that Cable/Satellite subscribers should take advantage of whenever they miss a recent episode, this would be a perfect opportunity for Global to get a few extra eyeballs viewing the skipped episode on its website. There are still a few commercials that are shown online, so it's still somewhat beneficial for Global to have it ready on Monday for the online viewers who expect it to be there.

If it's not on the Global website by Monday, that would tell me that Global probably intends to air all of the remaining episodes some time in the near future and would then put them up on the Internet the day after each episode aired.

However, if Global intends to air the last episode of the season on the same night as CBS (April 28), I suppose Global could wait until the week before that last episode is scheduled to air, and then put the previous two episodes on its website for streaming.

The Internet is a nice backup plan for the majority of viewers, but if Global doesn't use it properly, even more Canadians will stream it from other websites.

I know that the CBS website is geo-blocked (unless you go around it), but even if you did a simple Google search, you would still be given other sources for streaming the episodes for free.

It's only a matter of time before the majority of official websites use a login procedure to make sure that you are from the country you're supposed to be in, making it a bit tougher (or a lot tougher depending on the level of hoop-jumping required) for foreigners to gain access to the streams, but if almost all of the major/minor blocked content can be easily streamed from elsewhere after doing a simple Google search, it doesn't really matter how tough the geo-blocking gets in the future.

The fact that the majority of Canadians still probably go to the Canadian websites to stream content (even with the annoying commercial interruptions) is a good thing. And it's the "right" thing to do ... but if something isn't available for streaming on a Canadian website that owns the Canadian streaming rights, how many Canadians are going to do the "right" thing and avoid streaming that content from another source (assuming they don't want to pay for the content from iTunes Canada).

The Good Wife is not one of those meaningless reality shows that can be easily ignored by Global, and yet many Canadians probably haven't even realized that it is about to be ignored ... once that happens, Global will probably formally announce its future intentions (both broadcast and online) to help avoid a PR problem.

However, since most people will just watch/record the CBS broadcasts if they have no other alternative, I don't think that this is going to end up as a PR problem for Global. Heck, even TVViewer suggested that you watch next week's CBS broadcast (which could mean that the Global streaming plans might be more complicated than I assumed them to be).
    Last edited by PokerFace; 04-09-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

Speaking of online streaming ...

I just saw Julianna Margulies on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon talking about the recent online streaming and TV broadcast deals that CBS made with Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Hallmark Channel and various local channels for previous seasons of The Good Wife.

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/multiple-syndication-partners-cbs-good-wife-147903

[The Good Wife: Cable, streaming, local stations package worth about $2 million per episode]

From the above linked arcticle:

March 13, 2013

CBS has secured a complex series of syndication deals for The Good Wife.

In a multiwindow deal that involves a basic cable network (Hallmark Channel), a pair of streaming partners (Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus) and a weekend broadcast syndication schedule, CBS has put together a package that reflects the increasing fragmentation of the traditional television audience. "This is an off-network model for a unique serialized show in today's television ecosystem," said Leslie Moonves, president and CEO, CBS Corp., by way of announcing the arrangement. "It uses creative windowing to serve the content needs of best-in-class partners while realizing the full syndication value for a high-quality series. In addition, the potential for catch-up viewing across multiple platforms can provide incremental value to future broadcasts on CBS."

While the financial underpinnings of the overall package were not disclosed, analysts estimated the aggregate value at slightly more than $2 million per episode. To date, 84 episodes of The Good Wife have aired on CBS. While The Good Wife no longer draws the sort of ratings it boasted during its two seasons in the Tuesday 10 p.m. time slot, the show remains competitive on Sunday nights. Now in its second season in the 9 p.m. slot, the show generally outdelivers ABC's Revenge and Fox’s Family Guy and American Dad in total viewers and is hanging tough with Revenge among the 25-54 demo.

The Amazon Prime component kicks in tomorrow March 14, with the current season (No. 4) arriving later this year. All Amazon Prime streams are commercial-free and can be viewed at no additional cost by members on a host of platforms, including Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone, Roku, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii. According to Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition for Amazon, The Good Wife "has consistently been one of the strongest sellers on Amazon Instant Video."

Hallmark Channel will begin repurposing The Good Wife in January 2014. Hallmark closed out 2012 with an average prime-time delivery of 758,000 total viewers, down 7 percent versus the year-ago period. Women 25-54 grew 1 percent to 167,000, while adults 25-54 slipped 4 percent to 227,000.

The local broadcast syndication rights go into effect in September 2014. Including pickups at the CBS affiliates, clearances have been made in 85 percent of the country.

The Hulu component expands on a previous library-content agreement. The first three seasons of The Good Wife will be available to Hulu Plus subscribers beginning six months from now.

Content licensing is one of the areas from which CBS derives a steady stream of incremental revenue. Per Nomura Equity Research analysis, CBS from 2010 to 2012 grew its TV licensing revenue 27 percent to $2.48 billion. That figure is expected to swell to $2.97 billion by next year. In terms of pricing and sheer timing, CBS' most audacious syndication deal to date was brokered with NBCUniversal’s USA Network, which in 2009 paid $2.5 million per episode for the rights to NCIS: Los Angeles. At the time the deal was completed, the NCIS spin-off had only been on the air for seven weeks. CBS commanded a similar fee ($2.4 million a pop) for its self-produced Hawaii Five-O, which it dealt to TNT in April 2011. As procedurals, both NCIS:Los Angeles and Hawaii Five-O were easier to sell than the serialized drama that is The Good Wife.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 04-10-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: bolded portions of the article

However, if Global intends to air the last episode of the season on the same night as CBS (April 28),
    Celebrity Apprentice is booked until its season finale May 19th : http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showat...tice/listings/

The Good Wife: Cable, streaming, local stations package worth about $2 million per episode
    Since The Good Wife was moved to sundays, it should have been cancelled due to low ratings, BUT, CBS kept it alive due to its high syndication potential. And obviously, it paid off.

A show normally have to reach 88 episodes (4 seasons x 22) to get a syndication deal. Good Wife just did that this year.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

No more need to worry about crazy CBS start times, it's back on Global, Fridays at 10:00PM, starting April 19th in POST-Release.