Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 132

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204

    Get Ready For 100's of New HD Channels! Shaw Direct's New Satellite Has Launched!



    Shaw Direct's new satellite which gives them more satellite capacity than anyone else in Canada has successfully launched! Shaw Direct now has OVER 210 HD CHANNELS, which is more than any other provider in Canada

    Not only does Shaw Direct have more local HD stations than any other provider, but they have far more local HD stations producing local news in HD.

    I personally made the switch from Bell to Shaw Direct on May 17th and I certainly don't regret the decision as I now have access to far more local news in HD on Shaw Direct than I ever did with Bell!
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Yes, but what they might gain in local HD they may lose in Specialty channels. Also what makes you think that Shaw Direct will carry more locals than Bell? Bell already has 20-25+ locals? Between the additional locals, additional PPV channels, the HD channels that Shaw Cable has and probably more french HD, they probably wont have much more than what Bell has. Also until I see a list of what they are actually adding, I'm going to assume that both Shaw Direct and Shaw Cable will continue to be way behind the other providers in terms of providing specialty channels in HD.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=bigoranget;61582]
    Yes, but what they might gain in local HD they may lose in Specialty channels.
    Bell doesn't even carry some popular channels in SD that will be available in HD on Shaw Direct (including FX Canada, Nat Geo Wild, and Global News BC1). Shaw Direct may not have all the low rated HD channels as Bell/Telus satellite have but those high rated specialty channels you listed along with all the HD locals should make Shaw Direct’s HD lineup pretty appealing to most people given Bell/Telus reluctance to carry some popular channels (like top 20 digital channel Nat Geo Wild) and HD locals actually producing local news in HD. Shaw Direct’s new capacity also opens the door for Shaw Media to launch HD simulcasts of Canada’s most watched digital channels, channels that Bell and Telus are unlikely to carry at launch (as they barely carry any new non-Bell channels at launch), in fact, on May 29th Slice will be launching in HD exclusively on both Shaw cable and Shaw Direct.


    Also what makes you think that Shaw Direct will carry more locals than Bell?
    What makes you think they wont? Viewers want their local stations in HD, they own 12 local stations which will dramatically benefit from HD carriage, they have the capacity to add them, adding them gives them a MAJOR advantage over Bell and takes away an advantage from the cable company, and they don't have to pay carriage fees to carry them in local markets.


    Bell already has 20-25+ locals?

    Very few of the HD locals Bell carries actually broadcast local news in HD. They carry several CTV (and some CBC) HD stations airing for the most part programming that is available at the same time on other HD stations with SD local news and channels like CHCH which mostly airs low rated programming very few watch and SD local news. Bell’s carriage of local HD channels appears to be more about getting viewers to watch CTV’s HD network programming on their local station as opposed to actually providing viewers with what they want (local content in HD). Even one of the few CTV stations with HD local news (CTV Edmonton) isn’t available on Bell satellite.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Shaw Direct’s new capacity also opens the door for Shaw Media to launch HD simulcasts of Canada’s most watched digital channels, channels that Bell and Telus are unlikely to carry at launch (as they barely carry any new non-Bell channels at launch)
    You are wrong... Telus is currently carrying the complete suite of Corus HD channels. I believe the only provider in Canada carrying all of them. They just added last week; Treehouse, Cosmo, Nickelodeon, CMT and Sundnace.

    Bell doesn't even carry some popular channels in SD that will be available in HD on Shaw Direct (including FX Canada, Nat Geo Wild, and Global News BC1). Shaw Direct may not have all the low rated HD channels as Bell/Telus satellite have but those high rated specialty channels you listed along with all the HD locals should make Shaw Direct’s HD lineup pretty appealing to most people given Bell/Telus reluctance to carry some popular channels (like top 20 digital channel Nat Geo Wild) and HD locals actually producing local news in HD.
    Where do I start with this one...

    1.) Telus DOES carry FX Canada HD and Nat Geo WILD HD. Along with a bunch of new Corus channels as well.
    2.) Even after all the additions Shaw Cable/Shaw Direct is still missing these channels; Much HD, HLN HD, Peachtree HD, TCM HD, Sony Movie Channel, MGM Channel, AXN Movies, Warner Films, Discovery Science HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Travel + Escape HD, Cartoon Network HD, Teletoon HD, WPIX HD, KTLA HD, WSBK HD, NFL Network HD, CBS Sports Network HD, Game Show network HD, Spike HD, CBC News Network HD, CTV News Channel HD, CP24 HD, Bold HD, Documentary HD, Sun News Network HD, BBC World News HD, MSNBC HD. Don't tell me that all these channels are low rated channels. Many of these channels have demand and Bell and Telus carry a good chunk of these while Shaw/Shaw Direct still don't.
    3.) Shaw has had a long history (10+ years) of dragging their feet on HD channel additions. People aren't stupid; there is a reason Shaw and Shaw Direct have been bleeding customers over the past few years. They are tired of the mediocre HD channel line-up. Why doesn't Shaw Cable carry all the Corus stations in HD? They have common ownership. The reason is because they don't want customers moving between Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct. Why didn't Shaw launch an HD version of Lifetime and H2 last year when these brands launched. They could have had these channels on Shaw Cable and I'm sure most other providers would have carried them as well. Pretty much every provider carries all of Shaw's HD channels with the exception of Global News BC1 and Nat Geo Wild.

    Very few of the HD locals Bell carries actually broadcast local news in HD. They carry several CTV (and some CBC) HD stations airing for the most part programming that is available at the same time on other HD stations with SD local news and channels like CHCH which mostly airs low rated programming very few watch and SD local news. Bell’s carriage of local HD channels appears to be more about getting viewers to watch CTV’s HD network programming on their local station as opposed to actually providing viewers with what they want (local content in HD). Even one of the few CTV stations with HD local news (CTV Edmonton) isn’t available on Bell satellite.
    What a load of crap. Bell offers more CTV channels because CTV is owned by Bell just as Shaw Direct will likely have more Global channels because Shaw owns Global. Even if Global didn't have HD newscasts on many of their channels; Shaw Direct would still favour Global over CTV. Look at how they implement simsubs since Shaw took over Global; Shaw Direct does blanket nation wide simsubs of Global HD over Eastern US feeds yet they don't do that with CTV's Toronto feed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=bigoranget;61632]


    You are wrong... Telus is currently carrying the complete suite of Corus HD channels. I believe the only provider in Canada carrying all of them. They just added last week; Treehouse, Cosmo, Nickelodeon, CMT and Sundnace.


    I'm comparing Shaw Direct satellite to Bell and Telus satellite services, not Telus Optik TV. Telus satellite is restricted to carrying the channels Bell carries. However it's not like Telus Optik has a very good track record either, the new Corus channels are the exception, they haven't carried many of the other new channels at launch so and it's likely they wont do the same for any new Shaw Media specialty channels, but it's a very strong possibility that they wont be available on Telus satellite.



    Where do I start with this one...

    1.) Telus DOES carry FX Canada HD and Nat Geo WILD HD. Along with a bunch of new Corus channels as well.

    Again, referring to Telus satellite.

    2.) Even after all the additions Shaw Cable/Shaw Direct is still missing these channels; Much HD, HLN HD, Peachtree HD, TCM HD, Sony Movie Channel, MGM Channel, AXN Movies, Warner Films, Discovery Science HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Travel + Escape HD, Cartoon Network HD, Teletoon HD, WPIX HD, KTLA HD, WSBK HD, NFL Network HD, CBS Sports Network HD, Game Show network HD, Spike HD, CBC News Network HD, CTV News Channel HD, CP24 HD, Bold HD, Documentary HD, Sun News Network HD, BBC World News HD, MSNBC HD. Don't tell me that all these channels are low rated channels. Many of these channels have demand and Bell and Telus carry a good chunk of these while Shaw/Shaw Direct still don't.
    Some of them are high rated (Teletoon, CBC News Network and to a lesser extent MuchMusic, Investigation Discovery, Discovery Science, and CTV News Channel) but many of them are low rated, like I said their satellite competitor doesn't have some popular channels available on Shaw Direct either (and they don't even have them in SD, at least Shaw Direct has most of the popular ones in SD) I stand by my statement that Shaw Direct's upcoming HD lineup will be appealing without those channels especially when you add in the popular channels not available on Bell/Telus satellite.

    What a load of crap. Bell offers more CTV channels because CTV is owned by Bell just as Shaw Direct will likely have more Global channels because Shaw owns Global. Even if Global didn't have HD newscasts on many of their channels; Shaw Direct would still favour Global over CTV. Look at how they implement simsubs since Shaw took over Global; Shaw Direct does blanket nation wide simsubs of Global HD over Eastern US feeds yet they don't do that with CTV's Toronto feed.

    What part of my statement do you disagree with? Of course it's because they own CTV, I was just going further into detail for why they added them. They want Bell subscribers to watch CTV's HD programming on their local CTV station, that's why they added so many CTV HD stations. They did it to help CTV, not to give viewers more local HD content. Not saying there is anything wrong with Bell wanting to help CTV (nor is there anything wrong with Shaw Direct giving Global simulcasts across Canada) but it should be pointed out that this is why these channels were added and how it resulted in little value for their customers.

    Also, currently Shaw Direct does not favor carriage of Global over CTV. In every market where they carry a Global station they carry a CTV station from the same market. Before Bell was required to add all the locals there were some markets where CTV was carried but not Global, yet they made sure to carry a CTV station in every market they carried Global. Shaw Direct has had the opportunity to give Global and Global HD more carriage than CTV and they have not done so. Obviously this could change but to date Shaw Direct has not given better carriage to Global.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Also let's not forget the fact that up until about 2 years ago, Shaw Direct only carried CBLT and CFTO Toronto in HD. Bell at least has carried some locals from other areas. They have carried CBC and CTV Vancouver since 2005. They carried Global BC since 2008 and I believe CTV and Global Calgary have been carried since 2009.

    These are the locals they carry right now.

    CBHT-DT (CBC - Halifax)
    CJCH-DT (CTV - Halifax)
    CBMT-DT (CBC - Montreal)
    CKAL-DT (City - Calgary)
    CJCO-DT (Omni - Calgary)
    CBOT-DT (CBC - Ottawa)
    CBLT-DT (CBC - Toronto)
    CFTO-DT (CTV - Toronto)
    CIII-DT (Global - Toronto)
    CITY-DT (City - Toronto)
    CKVR-DT (CTV Two - Barrie)
    CFMT-DT (Omni1 - Toronto)
    CJMT-DT (Omni2 - Toronto)
    CHCH-DT (Ind. - Hamilton)
    CBWT-DT (CBC - Winnipeg)
    CKY-DT (CTV - Winnipeg)
    CKCK-DT (CTV - Regina)
    CBXT-DT (CBC - Edmonton)
    CBRT-DT (CBC - Calgary)
    CFCN-DT (CTV - Calgary)
    CICT-DT (Global - Calgary)
    CBUT-DT (CBC - Vancouver)
    CIVT-DT (CTV - Vancouver)
    CHAN-DT (Global - Vancouver)
    CKVU-DT (City - Vancouver)
    CIVI-DT (CTV Two - Victoria)
    CHNM-DT (Omni - Vancouver)
    CBAFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Moncton)
    CBFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Montréal)
    CFJP-DT (V - Montréal)
    CFTM-DT (TVA - Montréal)
    CBVT-DT (Radio-Canada - Québec)
    CBOFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Ottawa)
    CBXFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Edmonton)
    CBUFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Vancouver)

    Bell currently carries 35 locals. I will be very surprised if Shaw Direct carries much more than this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=bigoranget;61633]
    Also let's not forget the fact that up until about 2 years ago, Shaw Direct only carried CBLT and CFTO Toronto in HD. Bell at least has carried some locals from other areas. They have carried CBC and CTV Vancouver since 2005. They carried Global BC since 2008 and I believe CTV and Global Calgary have been carried since 2009.

    How does this have anything to do with Shaw Direct adding more channels with HD local news?


    These are the locals they carry right now.
    You are missing the point, again, Very few of those locals actually have local news in HD. It's not very impressive to have a bunch of locals airing the exact same programming at the exact/similar time as other CTV HD stations, local news is what makes these stations unique. I'm saying how they will have more locals producing news in HD and you are responding with how many HD locals Bell carries like there's no difference between a HD station with HD local news and a HD station with SD local news and HD programming available on other channels (in most cases available at the exact same time), well I think there's a pretty big difference.


    Everyone one knows exactly what you are doing here; you are implying that Shaw Direct is going to carry all the Global locals because they have local news in HD; which is Bull. It's common ownership and nothing more. Also outside of Western Canada (where Shaw Direct probably has more subs anyway) Global isn't exactly a market leader in news anyway. Also many of the channels Bell carries that isn't affiliated with CTV have newscasts that are either HD or 16x9.
    No, I never said that, i'm just pointing out the fact that all Global stations have their news in HD and will be carried on Shaw Direct. Who cares if it's because they own Global? What matters is with Shaw Direct you get more local news in HD than Bell. That's a fact.

    Also there are plans for Bell to add Global Edmonton, Global Winnipeg and Global Halifax in HD.
    Oh really, they are sure taking their time, why wait months/years for Bell to add them when they will be available to all Shaw Direct subscribers May 29th. What about other Global stations like Global Regina? Will Bell carry those? Shaw Direct will!
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-23-2013 at 11:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    How does this have anything to do with Shaw Direct adding more channels with HD local news?
    Because you think that Shaw Direct will have a superior product and I strongly disagree with that. I'm simply trying to state a fact that historically Bell has been much better at providing HD locals. Shaw Direct has basically ignored the west for nearly 10 years. Also there are plans for Bell to add Global Edmonton, Global Winnipeg and Global Halifax in HD.

    You are missing the point, again, Very few of those locals actually have local news in HD. It's not very impressive to have a bunch of locals airing the exact same programming at the exact/similar time as other CTV HD stations, local news is what makes these stations unique. I'm saying how they will have more locals producing news in HD and you are responding with how many HD locals Bell carries like there's no difference between a HD station with HD local news and a HD station with SD local news and HD programming available on other channels (in most cases available at the exact same time), well I think there's a pretty big difference.
    Everyone one knows exactly what you are doing here; you are implying that Shaw Direct is going to carry all the Global locals because they have local news in HD; which is Bull. It's common ownership and nothing more. Also outside of Western Canada (where Shaw Direct probably has more subs anyway) Global isn't exactly a market leader in news anyway. Also many of the channels Bell carries that isn't affiliated with CTV have newscasts that are either HD or 16x9.

    However it's not like Telus Optik has a very good track record either, the new Corus channels are the exception, they haven't carried many of the other new channels at launch so and it's likely they wont do the same for any new Shaw Media specialty channels, but it's a very strong possibility that they wont be available on Telus satellite.
    Oh, and Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct have a good track record? By my count, two channels they launched day-in-date; Nat Geo WILD HD and Global News BC1; two channels they own. Give me a break.

    Some of them are high rated (Teletoon, CBC News Network and to a lesser extent MuchMusic, Investigation Discovery, Discovery Science, and CTV News Channel) but many of them are low rated, like I said their satellite competitor doesn't have some popular channels available on Shaw Direct either (and they don't even have them in SD, at least Shaw Direct has most of the popular ones in SD) I stand by my statement that Shaw Direct's upcoming HD lineup will be appealing without those channels especially when you add in the popular channels not available on Bell/Telus satellite.
    Again, there is demand for it and also I didn't list every channel. Let's not forget about the French channels, sports packages and international channels that is lacking on Shaw Direct. I wont even expand on their really dated hardware.


    All I am trying to point out is that Shaw Direct has had a long history of providing an inferior product. They have spend the last 10-15 years over promising and under delivering and it shows in the sub counts. Bell has about 1.8 million subscribers, Shaw Direct has somewhere in the neighbourhood of 800,000.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    I'm most excited about all the new local HD channels Shaw Direct will offer, this is a huge advantage over Bell satellite which barely carries any local HD channels actually producing local news in HD, despite the fact that local news is one of the most watched programs in Canada, oh well, those customers can get their local news in HD by switching to Shaw Direct :)
    Your just happy because there is a good chance that one of those "100 New HD Channels" would happen to be Global News BC1, isn't it?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Here is the rumored list of Engish HD specialty channels coming to Shaw Direct. I posted this list in other forums as well. Obviously not official until Shaw Direct publishes information.

    Business News Network HD
    Discovery Channel HD
    Animal Planet HD
    Bravo HD
    Comedy Network HD
    Global News BC1 HD
    YTV HD
    W Movies HD
    Treehouse HD
    CMT HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    Sundance Channel HD
    Comso TV HD
    W Network HD
    ABC Spark HD
    Oprah Winfrey Network HD
    Movie Central 3 HD (West only)
    Rogers Sportsnet World HD
    CityNews Channel HD
    radX
    eqhd
    HIFI
    Family HD
    Disney XD HD
    The Movie Network Encore HD (East only)
    The Movie Network Encore 2 HD (East only)
    MFun! HD (East only)
    MExcess HD (East only)
    MFest HD (East only)
    Last edited by bigoranget; 04-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,140
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    oh well, those customers can get their local news in HD by switching to Shaw Direct :)
    And to think there is actually some people on here that think TVViewer isn't associated with Shaw or is not promoting Shaw on here! wow!

    Unfortunately for TVViewer and his motherlord Shaw, Bell has recently added a few more local HD channels; from Digital Home:

    Omni 1 HD - 1055
    Omni 2 HD - 1056
    City Calgary HD - 1133
    Omni Calgary HD - 1135
    City Vancouver HD - 1153
    Omni Vancouver HD - 1155
    SRCM HD - 1801
    SRCO HD - 1816
    SRCE HD - 1830
    SRCV HD - 1832

    Presumably, the SRC ones above are Radio-Canada locals.

    There's also GSN HD as well, channel 1732

    So, I wouldn't switch just yet! and btw, would you honestly want to support a company that is associated by all accounted evidence on here with TVViewer? Yikes!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    125
    You should also add Superchannel HD 3 and 4 to your list bigoranget

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    You should also add Superchannel HD 3 and 4 to your list bigoranget
    I know Bell Fibe has them, I wasn't aware that Bell Satellite had them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    The bottom line is that when Shaw Direct customer service was asked on numerous occasions what the new channel lineup would entail even up to the last few days before the addition -

    the response was that the lineup and exact channels are "uncertain" however they kept boosting the phrase: "the most HD in Canada".....................

    not only was this an obvious lie and deception, the reasoning behind it was that they knew way ahead of time that they would NOT carry MOST of the HD channels they knew were owned by BELL Media and

    THE same channels that EVERYONE wanted - NUMBER ONE REASON for NOT disclosing such facts about their NEW channel lineup on their already lacking service -

    the ONLY reason they have as many customers as they do is because they KNOW a lot of they customers are snowbirds who cant get Canadian TV while traveling in the warmth of the Southern U.S.

    and these customers are willing to partake in anything possible to combine their favourite Canadian channels with American channels in the same service to save money whether at home or away............

    From the looks of things since they wont tell you what lies ahead of more HD, there is GRAVE reason to believe that these missing channels like

    CBC News Network HD and CTV News Channel HD, among others will NOT be available on Shaw Direct anytime soon.......................

    ..................UNLESS a petition by enough people and subscribers vote on it on a website and sign it to present SHAW with the persistence and pressure needed to add these channels -

    Think about it - Shaw Direct ALREADY started charging more in numerous places for their NEW channel lineup add - its about time they ADDED the new cost in the wanted and needed channels to truly surpass BELL TV Satellite.........


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,979
    A nice start by Shaw Direct but they still have quite a way to go IMO regarding channel additions. As evidenced by bigoranget's list, there are still many HD channels that they need to add. Also, I was surprised that Rewind & Silver Screen Classics were not added as they are carried by Shaw cable and are needed for the Cat. B rule. Perhaps they will be added in the next batch of channel additions- anyone know if there are more channels yet to be added?!

    Why have they added so many HD PPV channels- do people still purchase PPV movies in this day and age with online streaming and Netflix?! This seems like a waste of space IMO, they could have added 30 more HD specialties instead of these PPV channels.

    I don't think you will ever see on Hollywood Suite or any more ethnics on Shaw Direct.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    A nice start by Shaw Direct but they still have quite a way to go IMO regarding channel additions. As evidenced by bigoranget's list, there are still many HD channels that they need to add. Also, I was surprised that Rewind & Silver Screen Classics were not added as they are carried by Shaw cable and are needed for the Cat. B rule. Perhaps they will be added in the next batch of channel additions- anyone know if there are more channels yet to be added?!

    Why have they added so many HD PPV channels- do people still purchase PPV movies in this day and age with online streaming and Netflix?! This seems like a waste of space IMO, they could have added 30 more HD specialties instead of these PPV channels.

    I don't think you will ever see on Hollywood Suite or any more ethnics on Shaw Direct.


    The bottom line is that when Shaw Direct customer service was asked on numerous

    occasions what the new channel lineup would entail even up to the last few days

    before the addition -

    the response was that the lineup and exact channels are "uncertain" however they

    kept boosting the phrase: "the most HD in Canada".....................

    not only was this an obvious lie and deception, the reasoning behind it was that

    they knew way ahead of time that they would NOT carry MOST of the HD channels they

    knew were owned by BELL Media and

    THE same channels that EVERYONE wanted - NUMBER ONE REASON for NOT disclosing such

    facts about their NEW channel lineup on their already lacking service -

    the ONLY reason they have as many customers as they do is because they KNOW a lot

    of they customers are snowbirds who cant get Canadian TV while traveling in the

    warmth of the Southern U.S.

    and these customers are willing to partake in anything possible to combine their

    favourite Canadian channels with American channels in the same service to save

    money whether at home or away............

    From the looks of things since they wont tell you what lies ahead of more HD,

    there is GRAVE reason to believe that these missing channels like

    CBC News Network HD and CTV News Channel HD, among others will NOT be available

    on Shaw Direct anytime soon.......................

    ..................UNLESS a petition by enough people and subscribers vote on it

    on a website and sign it to present SHAW with the persistence and pressure needed

    to add these channels -

    Think about it - Shaw Direct ALREADY started charging more in numerous places for

    their NEW channel lineup add - its about time they ADDED the new cost in the

    wanted and needed channels to truly surpass BELL TV Satellite.........

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    They need to add CBC NEWS NETWORK HD


    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    A nice start by Shaw Direct but they still have quite a way to go IMO regarding channel additions. As evidenced by bigoranget's list, there are still many HD channels that they need to add. Also, I was surprised that Rewind & Silver Screen Classics were not added as they are carried by Shaw cable and are needed for the Cat. B rule. Perhaps they will be added in the next batch of channel additions- anyone know if there are more channels yet to be added?!

    Why have they added so many HD PPV channels- do people still purchase PPV movies in this day and age with online streaming and Netflix?! This seems like a waste of space IMO, they could have added 30 more HD specialties instead of these PPV channels.

    I don't think you will ever see on Hollywood Suite or any more ethnics on Shaw Direct.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    125
    bigoranget

    My comment about SuperChannel was a general one and not a comparison to Bell Satellite in general. Rogers offers SC HD3 and HD4 and in my mom's community, Eastlink does with a population of just 2200. Satellite penetration is huge there and largely Bell, (because of brand, marketing, word of mouth and depth of offering) and because originally the cable offering was an underbuilt analog system. If Eastlink is willing to fight an uphill battle in a small community why can't Shaw which is supposed to be a major national BDU make the decision to offer a truly compelling service.

    TVViewer

    They (Shaw Direct) have probably added just enough HD to staunch any major flow of subscribers because of the hassle for a household to swap and invest in new equipment, learn a new interface, learn new channel numbers and put up with complaints from others in the household because the new equipment just works differently. There is a major inertia factor in making a change of providers. Shaws new offering is really not competitve if you live in area comparing Bell Satellite, Rogers and Shaw Direct or Eastlink, Bell Satellite and Shaw Direct. Any person doing a comparison would probably not pick Shaw Direct just because they don't offer as many specialities even if they were not going to subscribe to them right away. If I was setting up a new account and thought Hollywoood Suite would be kind of neat to have, not now but in the future I would probably stay clear of Shaw Direct. Same with TMN why subscribe to Shaw Direct if they offer an incomplete HD package. In my opinion Shaw has added enough to maintain the status quo and not grow the service.

    TVViewer you talk about in post #6 how having all these HD channels will allow for more simulcasts, like they are a desirable thing for the consumer. They are only desirable for the broadcaster but for the viewer more often then not all it offers is mutilated returns to a programme on live programming and either incomplete or duplicate endings for shows when the show bump up against the hour. My biggest peeve is that American networks give you a preview of next weeks shows. Canadian broadcasters typically truncated those and squeeze the credits with useless bumpers and bad voice overs.

    You also go on to defend the absence of CTV2 in post #21 because all it offers is useless simsubs. So are simsubs good or bad. I would hazard a guess that CKVR in terms of total number of viewers gets more than CFJC or CKPG so by not offering at least one CTV2 station in HD they (Shaw Direct) are shooting themselves in the foot. Besides in the past you have disparaged City's primetime lineup so why offer these CIty affiliates in HD if the lineup is not great. News in HD is probably really not that compelling anyways, yes people want to see/hear their local news. I would hazard that a lot of news is background to dinner prep or eating so HD for news is just not that important but if I was looking at a programming guide for Bell, Rogers or Shaw Direct the total absence of CTV2 HD would stand out. Which is the bigger market CKPG or CKVR.

    Back to marketing, other than occassional Shaw Direct direct mail and inserts on CNN etc Shaw does little in the way of marketing. They do the bare minimum for Quebec and the western bias for local HD shows that Shaw Direct is a fallback for Shaw Cable. All evidence shows that Shaw Direct is really not a growth area for Shaw in general. They have made a decision to try to pick enough HD to survive which is kind of sad when the companies roots were to be the leader in HD.
    LOSat

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    My comment about SuperChannel was a general one and not a comparison to Bell Satellite in general. Rogers offers SC HD3 and HD4 and in my mom's community, Eastlink does with a population of just 2200. .... . If Eastlink is willing to fight an uphill battle in a small community why can't Shaw which is supposed to be a major national BDU make the decision to offer a truly compelling service.
    Shaw won't add Super Channel HD3&4 until they have to. It competes with their Movie Central and they've done everything they can to handicap it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=LOSat;62407]


    TVViewer
    They (Shaw Direct) have probably added just enough HD to staunch any major flow of subscribers because of the hassle for a household to swap and invest in new equipment, learn a new interface, learn new channel numbers and put up with complaints from others in the household because the new equipment just works differently. There is a major inertia factor in making a change of providers. Shaws new offering is really not competitve if you live in area comparing Bell Satellite, Rogers and Shaw Direct or Eastlink, Bell Satellite and Shaw Direct. Any person doing a comparison would probably not pick Shaw Direct just because they don't offer as many specialities even if they were not going to subscribe to them right away. If I was setting up a new account and thought Hollywoood Suite would be kind of neat to have, not now but in the future I would probably stay clear of Shaw Direct. Same with TMN why subscribe to Shaw Direct if they offer an incomplete HD package. In my opinion Shaw has added enough to maintain the status quo and not grow the service.


    I disagree. I don't see how they are not competitive carrying popular channels not available on other providers. Many of the HD channels they don't carry have very low audience numbers, not all of them but many do. You can't expect them to carry every single HD simulcast that exists and it's not their fault that some (not all) of the HD simulcasts you want have low demand and low viewership. Again, there are a few high demand HD channels Shaw Direct still does not carry, but you are going to experience that with any provider, for example, BC1 is a high demand channel for BC customers and it’s not available on Bell or Telus even in SD (Shaw Direct at least carries most of those missing HD channels in SD) Any BDU, regardless of the company, is never going to publicly admit that they are not carrying a popular channel their customers want (for example Telus wont admit BC1 is a popular high demand channel until they add it to their service) but if you look at some of the HD channels Shaw Direct does not carry, such as HLN, Bloomberg, the CW affiliates (which air the same programming as WGN which is available in HD on Shaw Direct), Treehouse (I can understand a channel targeting 8-12 year olds like Family being in HD, but I really don’t think any 4 year old will mind watching Treehouse in SD) it’s understandable these aren’t carried, and you are ignoring the channels Shaw and Shaw Direct have that their competitors do not, and i’m not just talking about popular channels for BC like BC1, This season Lifetime ranked #21 among ALL specialty channels (digital AND analog) among adults 25-54 (which is impressive given how they are beating analog channels with far more subscribers) the only HD simulcast missing on Shaw Direct doing better than Lifetime is CBC News Network. How does being the only provider to carry top rated channels in HD not make them competitive?


    You also have no idea first hand how horrible Bell's customer service and equipment is (and their customer service is even worse when it comes to replacing their equipment when it breaks from no fault of your own) The grass may seem greener on the other side but until you actually switch you can't make a fair comparison.

    TVViewer you talk about in post #6 how having all these HD channels will allow for more simulcasts, like they are a desirable thing for the consumer. They are only desirable for the broadcaster but for the viewer more often then not all it offers is mutilated returns to a programme on live programming and either incomplete or duplicate endings for shows when the show bump up against the hour. My biggest peeve is that American networks give you a preview of next weeks shows. Canadian broadcasters typically truncated those and squeeze the credits with useless bumpers and bad voice overs.

    You also go on to defend the absence of CTV2 in post #21 because all it offers is useless simsubs. So are simsubs good or bad. I would hazard a guess that CKVR in terms of total number of viewers gets more than CFJC or CKPG so by not offering at least one CTV2 station in HD they (Shaw Direct) are shooting themselves in the foot. Besides in the past you have disparaged City's primetime lineup so why offer these CIty affiliates in HD if the lineup is not great. News in HD is probably really not that compelling anyways, yes people want to see/hear their local news. I would hazard that a lot of news is background to dinner prep or eating so HD for news is just not that important but if I was looking at a programming guide for Bell, Rogers or Shaw Direct the total absence of CTV2 HD would stand out. Which is the bigger market CKPG or CKVR.
    No, I never mentioned simsubs in post #6. I only referred to simsubs in regards to CTV Two, and I never said viewers benefit from simsubs (you still get less simsubs on Shaw Direct than on Bell satellite and most cable providers) but they do benefit from having their local news in HD. The only benefits of a satellite provider carrying HD locals are A). Timeshifting, and B). Unique local content in HD. CTV Two is simply not airing any unique programming, local or otherwise, and timeshifting is a non-factor as the few primetime shows they have airing new episodes are available at the exact same times on U.S. HD stations simsub free. There is absolutely no value in adding CTV Two HD at this point, all it would add is duplicate HD programming and simsubs, that's why it makes sense to add the Citytv stations and CFJC HD over CTV Two, as both Citytv and CFJC are producing local content in HD. So no they are not shooting themselves in the foot as their subscribers aren't missing out on any unique HD content, while their subscribers in markets like Kamloops now get to watch their local news in HD

    Meanwhile, Bell is missing several local HD stations with actual unique local content in HD. Global is the #2 network in the country and Bell is only carrying 3 Global HD channels, not to mention the fact that their subscribers are missing out on Global's timeshifted HD content. For example, to accommodate their 11:00PM newscast, Global Halifax airs 10:00PM ET programming in PRE-Release at 7:00PM ET / 8:00PM AT. This programming is only available at this time on Global Halifax and Bell subscribers do not have the ability to watch it in HD at this time (for the record, CTV Two Atlantic does not air programming in PRE-Release, they air it at the same time as U.S. stations in simulcast from 9:00PM to 12:00AM AT, making the channel so useless for timeshifting even Bell doesn't carry it in HD)

    Back to marketing, other than occassional Shaw Direct direct mail and inserts on CNN etc Shaw does little in the way of marketing. They do the bare minimum for Quebec and the western bias for local HD shows that Shaw Direct is a fallback for Shaw Cable. All evidence shows that Shaw Direct is really not a growth area for Shaw in general. They have made a decision to try to pick enough HD to survive which is kind of sad when the companies roots were to be the leader in HD.
    Actually, Shaw Direct does a better job at serving Eastern Canada with HD locals than Bell. As I said the only value in HD locals on satellite is the HD local news, and Shaw Direct is carrying many eastern HD locals with actual unique local content in HD not available on Bell, including NTV, Global Halifax, Global Thunder Bay, and Global Montreal. Yet, I don't see ANY local eastern HD channel with actual HD local news available on Bell but not on Shaw Direct. All Bell has is the useless CTV Two HD simulcasts which again offer nothing unique in HD and zero value to subscribers. Shaw Direct isn't showing a Western Canada bias, they are showing a bias towards HD channels actually offering unique HD content.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •