Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Two more locals added to Bell this week; CHMI (City - Portage la Prairie) and CJNT (City - Montreal).

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Two more locals added to Bell this week; CHMI (City - Portage la Prairie) and CJNT (City - Montreal).
    So instead of adding more stations from CTV's only real competitor they add stations from the network that is barely even a threat.

It's good they finally joined Shaw Direct in carrying these Citytv HD stations but there are 5 Global stations not available on Bell (Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Halifax) offering more popular programming in HD than Citytv stations airing barely any local programming with a schedule nearly identical to that of Citytv Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's good they finally joined Shaw Direct in carrying these Citytv HD stations but there are 5 Global stations not available on Bell (Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Halifax) offering more popular programming in HD than Citytv stations airing barely any local programming with a schedule nearly identical to that of Citytv Toronto.
    Ahem. S'cuse me. BT Montreal launches monday, while CJNT already airs "Only in Montreal" and "Montreal Connected". I understand you're angry towards competition, I understand that your beloved company, Canwest, didn't do much with CJNT and you're crying inside knowing that Rogers is actually doing something with the station, and I understand you'd rather use the ignorant card and reduce the station as "barely any local programming" and "identical to Citytv Toronto"... but reality check, it's about time Bell recognize there's local HD content on CJNT.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 08-24-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I'm fairly sure that more Global affiliates are around the corner. It's just a matter of negotiating the carriage fee for distant markets. It took them almost eight months to negotiate carriage of CBC Ottawa HD in Quebec.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Ahem. S'cuse me. BT Montreal launches monday, while CJNT already airs "Only in Montreal" and "Montreal Connected". I understand you're angry towards competition, I understand that your beloved company, Canwest, didn't do much with CJNT and you're crying inside knowing that Rogers is actually doing something with the station, and I understand you'd rather use the ignorant card and reduce the station as "barely any local programming" and "identical to Citytv Toronto"... but reality check, it's about time Bell recognize there's local HD content on CJNT, while Shaw still offers its SD version...
    Haha, yeah, Rogers losing millions of dollars producing barely any local programming that will barely register in the ratings sure counts as "doing something" with the station.

In my opinion, A station with barely any local programming that will barely register in the ratings operating in the same time zone as Toronto with nearly an identical schedule to the Toronto station does not deserve carriage over stations in markets like Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Halifax producing more local news with more people watching affiliated with a more popular network.

Canwest didn't do nothing with the CJNT, they saved it from bankruptcy when nobody else would come forward and produced new local ethnic programming. All Rogers is doing is turning CJNT into basically a re-broadcaster of Citytv Toronto with a local morning show and cheap local filler that will barely register in the ratings. In fact, the Rogers owned CJNT is projected to lose millions of dollars each year (more than what Canwest lost each year at the station). The local programming this station puts out will do horrible and will not be a threat to any station, the only "competition" this station brings is that it ensures advertisers now have the opportunity to buy advertising on 4 primetime schedules as opposed to 3. That has always been the only threat CJNT ever posed.

That being said, Shaw Direct carries all 4 Montreal stations in HD, including CJNT. Unlike Bell, Shaw Direct likes to give the stations owned by their conventional network's competitor a level playing field.

Haha, yeah, Rogers losing millions of dollars producing barely any local programming that will barely register in the ratings sure counts as "doing something" with the station.
    Before january 2013, Global Montreal was defacto a Global Toronto repeater, producing a 30-minutes newscast at 6pm and another one at 11pm, which was repeated the next day at 6am. That was BARELY any local programming, indeed. Where the hell is "Focus Montreal" now, anyways? And how did it perform ratings-wise?

There's a saying, Rome wasn't built in one day. I'm certain you had hiogh expectations for Rogers to produce 50 hours of local programming from day 1 in february, when they took it over.

In my opinion, A station with barely any local programming that will barely register in the ratings operating in the same time zone as Toronto with nearly an identical schedule to the Toronto station does not deserve carriage over stations in markets like Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Halifax producing more local news with more people watching affiliated with a more popular network.
    Ah, I understand your outburst now. It's all about YOUR priorities. You do not accept that Bell did not prioritize all of 11 Global's O&O HD channels over other local stations. You do not accept that Bell is not yet carrying BC1, Slice, Lifetime and the upcoming Dtour in HD but is instead adding Citytv stations. But as you explained earlier, you are perfectly fine with Shaw Direct not offering any CTV2 HD station, then, you come and brag about level playing field. Huh.

Canwest didn't do nothing with the CJNT, they saved it from bankruptcy when nobody else would come forward and produced new local ethnic programming.
    And that's exactly what was wrong with CJNT. Canwest was producing the shows, not the communities. Canwest had to rush into cheap production to satisfy licence commitments, from the same dark and depressing studio that consisted of 45 minutes of talk, some of these shows had zero ratings (you mentionned it!), so CJNT was mainly used as an american shows simsub opportunity network for Canwest.
    If Canwest failed miserably on ethnic programming, why do you think ICI was granted a licence and is launching next month ?

What was Global Montreal Morning News's latest rating? Yup, 500 viewers. That's an small improvement.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Before january 2013, Global Montreal was defacto a Global Toronto repeater, producing a 30-minutes newscast at 6pm and another one at 11pm, which was repeated the next day at 6am. That was BARELY any local programming, indeed. Where the hell is "Focus Montreal" now, anyways? And how did it perform ratings-wise?

There's a saying, Rome wasn't built in one day. I'm certain you had hiogh expectations for Rogers to produce 50 hours of local programming from day 1 in february, when they took it over.

Ah, I understand your outburst now. It's all about YOUR priorities. You do not accept that Bell did not prioritize all of 11 Global's O&O HD channels over other local stations. You do not accept that Bell is not yet carrying BC1, Slice, Lifetime and the upcoming Dtour in HD but is instead adding Citytv stations. But as you explained earlier, you are perfectly fine with Shaw Direct not offering any CTV2 HD station, then, you come and brag about level playing field. Huh.

And that's exactly what was wrong with CJNT. Canwest was producing the shows, not the communities. Canwest had to rush into cheap production to satisfy licence commitments, from the same dark and depressing studio that consisted of 45 minutes of talk, some of these shows had zero ratings (you mentionned it!), so CJNT was mainly used as an american shows simsub opportunity network for Canwest

If Canwest failed miserably on ethnic programming, why do you think ICI was granted a licence and is launching next month ?

What was Global Montreal Morning News's latest rating? Yup, 500 viewers. That's an small improvement.
    Am I arguing Bell add Global Montreal before Citytv Montreal? No. I'm saying there are other local stations in other markets producing more local programming, successful local programming people actually watch, that should be carried before Citytv Montreal. I'm no longer a Bell subscriber, I switched to Shaw Direct and I couldn't be happier, so it has nothing to do with my personal priorities, it has to do with the fact that there are other stations in other markets producing more programming of value, stations that may I add pose a WAY bigger threat to CTV than Citytv Winnipeg and Citytv Montreal. If you did a poll of Bell customers on which station to add in HD there is no way Citytv Montreal would rank higher than the 5 Global stations I listed. It appears you didn't even read my post, you just noticed I said something realistic about Citytv Montreal and you did what you always do, bring up & bash Global Montreal. I didn't even mention Global Montreal as it has nothing to do with my point, I mentioned 5 (not 11, 5) local stations that are more popular than the two Citytv stations that were added.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-24-2013 at 11:31 PM.

TVViewer, I bet if you did a poll of Shaw cable and Shaw Direct customers you will find that many are still extremely unhappy with the HD product. Not just because of the missing channels but the hardware as well. Just look at Shaw Cables own discussion forum. Complaints about lack of HD specialties is a common theme; ditto for Digital Home and many other Canadian discussion forums.

I visit a number of online discussion forums and I very rarely see Bell customers complaining about the lack of Global HD locals. In fact the two main channels I see complaints about is NFL Network HD (A channel Shaw Cable/Shaw Direct doesn't carry) and FX Canada.

it has nothing to do with my personal priorities, it has to do with the fact that there are other stations in other markets producing more programming of value, stations that may I add pose a WAY bigger threat to CTV than Citytv Winnipeg and Citytv Montreal. If you did a poll of Bell customers on which station to add in HD there is no way Citytv Montreal would rank higher than the 5 Global stations I listed.
    Today, it's 5 local stations. Tomorrow, you'll complain that Shaw's BC1 and H2 HD have higher priority that the Citytv stations you don't like. The day after, it will be the remaining Corus HD channels...
    You're angry that CHCA Red Deer and CKX Brandon were shut down in 2009 because they weren't carried on satellite, but you oppose other local stations from being added NOW on Bell and/or Shaw Direct, not to forget your hatred towards french-speaking channels.
    As I said earlier, your priorities and your own agenda.

Today, it's 5 local stations. Tomorrow, you'll complain that Shaw's BC1 and H2 HD have higher priority that the Citytv stations you don't like. The day after, it will be the remaining Corus HD channels...
    You're angry that CHCA Red Deer and CKX Brandon were shut down in 2009 because they weren't carried on satellite, but you oppose other local stations from being added NOW on Bell and/or Shaw Direct, not to forget your hatred towards french-speaking channels.
    As I said earlier, your priorities and your own agenda.
    There are lots of local stations (including Citytv Edmonton) that are more popular than Citytv Montreal and therefore would benefit customers more if added in HD first, and if it was based on customer demand then yeah Citytv Montreal would probably be one of the last added, but that wasn't the point I was making, I was simply stating that there are at least 5 more popular local stations producing more popular local news that pose a bigger threat to CTV which based solely on value to customers should be added first. If you truly think that Citytv Montreal is more popular than those stations then you are beyond delusional. It's not my priorities or agenda, it's a fact that these stations are more popular, Rogers wouldn't even deny this. If anyone has priorities or an agenda, it's you. Either you are delusional and think a brand new upstart Montreal station building an audience from scratch is actually more popular than established stations in other markets with news 7 days a week from morning to night or you are selfish and think a Montreal station should be added first despite the fact that it's less popular because you live in Montreal and Montreal is the centre of the universe.

There are lots of local stations (including Citytv Edmonton) that are more popular than Citytv Montreal and therefore would benefit customers more if added in HD first
    You're missing the point. If Bell and Shaw were to add local channels solely based on popularity and market size, it wouldn't be fair to residents of small markets like Kenora, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Sault Sainte Marie, and others, while Yellowknife and Whitehorse would get no service at all, and no 100% local stations out of markets in cities you never know existed) would get a spot on the dial.

Satellite companies are asked to serve canadians, coast to coast. Deal with the decisions.

You're missing the point. If Bell and Shaw were to add local channels solely based on popularity and market size, it wouldn't be fair to residents of small markets like Kenora, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Sault Sainte Marie, and others, while Yellowknife and Whitehorse would get no service at all, and no 100% local stations out of markets in cities you never know existed) would get a spot on the dial.

Satellite companies are asked to serve canadians, coast to coast. Deal with the decisions.

My point is Bell is not serving all Canadians. They are ignoring several popular stations in several markets in HD. I'm not saying Bell shouldn't carry any Montreal stations in HD or never carry Citytv Montreal HD, i'm saying they shouldn't just be adding Citytv Montreal HD, they should also be adding all those other stations which would provide more value to customers in HD. Shaw Direct actually carries some tiny market independent stations in HD, Bell carries zero.

Bell does not carry any Saskatoon station in HD, they don't carry Edmonton's #1 source for news in HD, nor do they carry the only source for HD local news in Regina, Winnipeg, or Halifax. Yet they just added a THIRD Montreal station in HD only producing a morning show and some cheap local fillers, all of which are expected to pull in very few if any viewers. Bell is doing the exact opposite of serving Canadians coast to coast in HD. They are simply adding less popular stations which pose way less of a threat to CTV. Only someone who is delusional and selfish living in Montreal would think that adding a third low rated Montreal station while ignoring the #1 or #2 rated stations in other markets is considered "serving Canadians coast to coast". Deal with the fact that Montreal is not the centre of the universe.

My point is Bell is not serving all Canadians. They are ignoring several popular stations in several markets in HD. I'm not saying Bell shouldn't carry any Montreal stations in HD or never carry Citytv Montreal HD, i'm saying they shouldn't just be adding Citytv Montreal HD
    So, you're perfectly fine with City Winnipeg, but not City Montreal. Interesting.

Anyways, you're repeating yourself and not answering any of my technical questions : Did Bell completed the phase-out of all non-compatible MPEG-2 receivers? Does Bell already receive all 11 HD local Global stations at their headend/uplink center ? Can they add the remaining ones whenever they like without signing anything with Shaw Media ?

Edmonton is the third biggest english market in the country. Are everyone in the area equiped with a mpeg-4 terminal ? Or you just assume that Bell's latest satellite have plenty of room that they can add CITV-DT in mpeg-2 now ? Or you just don't care about any of this technical stuff...

Anyways, we came to a point that you are repeating yourself and throwing insults. Subject closed for me.

TVViewer, the only reason Shaw Direct has the small market locals is because Shaw Broadcast needs to provide those feeds to rural cable systems. Shaw Direct and Bell have different business models. Bell is primarily consumer first where as Shaw Direct/Shaw Broadcast is BDU first and consumers second.

You talk a big game how great Shaw Direct is; let's not forget that Bell for the last several years has carried far more HD locals than Shaw. In fact up until 3 months ago, they only had CTV, CBC, Global and City Toronto. They didn't add Global HD until it feel under common ownership. Global HD has been available since 2004-05 season yet didn't make an appearance on Shaw Direct until 2010. City has been available since 2003 yet only showed up on Shaw Direct in 2012. Bell has a proven history of improving their line-up where as Shaw has been stagnant for years. Even with their major launch in June, the only real advantage they have is locals but they are still missing many channels such as CBC News HD, the complete suite of TMN/Encore HD channels, Super Channel 3 and 4 HD and countless more.

You talk about Bell favouring their own channel; CTV. What about Shaw Direct?, they clearly favour carriage of their own specialty channels. They only carry a handful of Bell Media channels where as they carry the complete suite of Shaw Media channels. Just recently Shaw Direct added Encore Avenue 2 HD (A channel owned by Corus, which is controlled by Shaw). How about another missing TMN channel for east subs? DTour HD will likely also be added to Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct on Sept 5th. What about Animal Planet, Discovery Science, Investigation Discovery, E!, MTV, M3, CTV News Channel or BNN? Bell Media is missing one Shaw Media channel; H2. Don't give me this nonsense about Bell favouring CTV when Shaw Direct/Shaw Cable is clearly doing the same thing with their specialty channels.

...and queue TVViewer's response; Shaw Media channels are more popular blah blah blah...

Anyways, you're repeating yourself and not answering any of my technical questions : Did Bell completed the phase-out of all non-compatible MPEG-2 receivers? Does Bell already receive all 11 HD local Global stations at their headend/uplink center ? Can they add the remaining ones whenever they like without signing anything with Shaw Media ?

Edmonton is the third biggest english market in the country. Are everyone in the area equiped with a mpeg-4 terminal ? Or you just assume that Bell's latest satellite have plenty of room that they can add CITV-DT in mpeg-2 now ? Or you just don't care about any of this technical stuff...
    Global Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Halifax are in the "works" for Bell but what's holding it up is getting a carriage deal for distant subs. When or if these channels get carried; they will be MPEG-4 HD. All HD is MPEG-4 on Bell. Shaw Direct has very different priorities with choosing locals. Their commercial distribution arm; Shaw Broadcast needs to provide signals to rural cable systems. That's the main reason why they have a more uniform carriage of HD locals where as Bell it's simply consumer demand and carriage deals.

The following locals were added to Bell today

CKSA-DT (CBC - Lloydminster)
    CITL-DT (CTV - Lloydminster)
    CIMT-DT (TVA - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CFTF-DT (V - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CHOT-DT (TVA - Gatineau)
    CFGS-DT (V - Gatineau)

Also CHAT-DT (City - Medicine Hat) will be added in the coming weeks.

...Still NOTHING more from Shaw Direct!

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Global Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Halifax are in the "works" for Bell but what's holding it up is getting a carriage deal for distant subs. When or if these channels get carried; they will be MPEG-4 HD. All HD is MPEG-4 on Bell. Shaw Direct has very different priorities with choosing locals. Their commercial distribution arm; Shaw Broadcast needs to provide signals to rural cable systems. That's the main reason why they have a more uniform carriage of HD locals where as Bell it's simply consumer demand and carriage deals.

The following locals were added to Bell today

CKSA-DT (CBC - Lloydminster)
    CITL-DT (CTV - Lloydminster)
    CIMT-DT (TVA - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CFTF-DT (V - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CHOT-DT (TVA - Gatineau)
    CFGS-DT (V - Gatineau)

Also CHAT-DT (City - Medicine Hat) will be added in the coming weeks.

...Still NOTHING more from Shaw Direct!
    Although it's nice they have finally joined Shaw Direct in carrying the CTV and CBC Lloydminster affiliates, they are still far behind Shaw Direct when it comes to the carriage of HD locals, and it doesn't look like that is ever going to change. Bell is still refusing to carry Global HD stations from other markets and it doesn't look like more Global's will ever be added to Bell.

Nobody listens to consumer demand less than Bell. You say that Shaw favors their own channels with carriage, the reality is they favor is channels with the highest ratings, when they purchased Canwest they either sold, shut down or re-branded the weak performers.

Bell Media on the other hand owns many low rated analog specialty channels with HD carriage on Bell (Much, E!, MTV, and they will likely carry M3). These channels are getting beat by Shaw's DIGITAL channels with far fewer subscribers, they are losing money or barely turning a profit and going through extensive programming changes and/or re-brands, yet they happen to have HD carriage on Bell. Not saying there is anything wrong with Bell carrying weak performers they own, but it's very clear it's just not "consumer demand and carriage deals" when it comes to what Bell carries.

If Bell listened to consumer demand, they would carry channels like H2 HD, which became a top 20 digital channel this season and this summer ranked as a top 10 digital channel, beating all but one Bell Media digital channel. If Bell listened to consumer demand, they wouldn't be refusing to carry Nat Geo Wild, a top 20 ranked digital channel. If Bell listened to consumer demand, they wouldn't be one of the only providers in Canada to not carry FX Canada. They wouldn't be ignoring Global HD stations where Global is the #1 choice for news, they wouldn't only be carrying 3 HD stations of the 2nd most watched network in Canada.

If Shaw listened to consumer demand, they would carry CBC News Network HD; probably the most requested channel on their own online forum

If Shaw listened to consumer demand, they would carry the entire suite of TMN HD channels (Notice how they carry all the Movie Central/Encore Avenue Channels?)

If Shaw listened to consumer demand, they would carry the MLB Sports package and NCAA Sports package

If Shaw listened to consumer demand, they would carry CTV 2 HD from at least Victoria and Barrie.

If Shaw listened to consumer demand, they would offer the TMN GO App

Since the end of May, Bell has closed some gaps that you brought up. They added Lifetime HD and Slice HD. In addition to those, they have added an additional 9 HD locals.

What has Shaw Direct done...Nothing!

Nobody listens to consumer demand less than Bell.
    If this is so true, why is it that Bell has more than double the amount of subs. Why has Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct bleed customers every quarter the past few years?

MTV, and they will likely carry M3
    MTV HD is only carried on Bell Fibe and M3 HD will also only be on Bell Fibe.
    Last edited by bigoranget; 09-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.

In my opinion Bell is better when it comes to renting their receivers then Shaw Direct. I have two rented receivers from Bell in my house and with Shaw a lot of the time you have to purchase them outright. I LOVE Bell TV and honestly their is nothing wrong with waiting for more HD Channels to launch. Who cares if Shaw Direct has more Global stations??? Honestly almost all shows will come on Global Winnipeg and Global Calgary during the day at the same time (WHICH IT DOES CARRY). I also like that Bell TV offers Global New Brunswick (198)(Which is a good station to watch from Newfoundland) and Global Halifax (204). They offer HD simulcasts for a lot of locals as well. I'm not picky. And with a PVR all you have to do is record the shows/movies you want to watch in SD and HD !!!
    Last edited by jfoley85; 09-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.