Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Shaw Direct added the following channels today.

9 Knowledge Network HD
    156 Warner Films
    157 MGM Channel
    158 Sony Movie Channel
    159 AXN Movies
    226 Zeste HD
    227 Addik HD
    228 Casa HD

[QUOTE=jfoley85;64060]

In my opinion Bell is better when it comes to renting their receivers then Shaw Direct. I have two rented receivers from Bell in my house and with Shaw a lot of the time you have to purchase them outright.
    This may have been true in the past but Shaw Direct has a very good rental plan at the moment. You can rent a HD receiver for $4.99 a month or an HDPVR for $9.99 a month. You can rent up to 3 each and there is no contract. You also get to rent the receiver for free for the first 6 months. This includes free installation, free shipping, 2 free PPV or VOD movies, and either 25% off digital favorites or a 10 dollar a month credit for the first 6 months.
    I LOVE Bell TV and honestly their is nothing wrong with waiting for more HD Channels to launch.
    Fair enough. Personally for me, some of the channels I want are missing from Bell entirely, so it’s not just about being picky for HD, it’s about not being able to access channels on Bell at all. Shaw Direct’s channel lineup isn’t perfect, but when it comes to missing channels they are better than Bell in regards to at least offering them in standard definition. Many of the key channels Shaw Direct is missing in HD are available in SD, Bell on the other hand is missing key channels entirely (Nat Geo Wild, FX Canada, BC 1), so even if you don’t mind waiting for HD, there are still reasons for some to be frustrated with Bell’s lineup.

Another factor is the "waiting" part. Many of the channels Bell is missing are not new channels that just launched, but channels that have been on the air for years now. It's not really a matter of waiting, it's a matter of never being able to access popular channels that compete with Bell Media channels.

Who cares if Shaw Direct has more Global stations??? Honestly almost all shows will come on Global Winnipeg and Global Calgary during the day at the same time (WHICH IT DOES CARRY).
    Many people who live in the markets where Global HD is not available would like to watch their local news in HD. Local news is some of the most watched programming in Canada, and Bell is missing several stations producing HD news, they are missing stations that are #1 in the market for news and/or the only station in the market producing news in HD. They are also missing Vancouver's only all news channel entirely.

I also like that Bell TV offers Global New Brunswick (198)(Which is a good station to watch from Newfoundland) and Global Halifax (204).
    Shaw Direct offers both Global Halifax and Global New Brunswick. Bell does NOT offer Global Halifax in HD (which is a good timeshifting channel for ALL Canadians), yet Global Halifax is available in HD on Shaw Direct. Shaw Direct also carries CBC Newfoundland and NTV HD, both are also not available on Bell.
    They offer HD simulcasts for a lot of locals as well.
    Shaw Direct offers more and their selection of locals are better. That's my point. Every single Bell station producing HD local news is available on Shaw Direct. Shaw owns 13 stations producing local news in HD, Bell only carries 3 of them.

I'm not picky. And with a PVR all you have to do is record the shows/movies you want to watch in SD and HD !!!

But wouldn't you want to see your local station in HD? You can't PVR your local news in HD on other channels. Bell customers are missing out on HD access to the #1 source for news in Edmonton and Saskatoon, the only source for HD local news in Regina, Winnipeg, Halifax, and Newfoundland, and they are entirely denied access to the only news channel serving Vancouver.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 10-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.

I'm finally FREE FROM BELL! Sold off the last of my Bell hardwares and now enjoying the plethora of Shaw Direct HD offerings for less than Bell charges for.
    Bell can go stuff their good,better,best 3 tier cable packages. Got the 3 free receiver promo and bought a second PVR and enjoying some pick n pay channels without the need for the top tier bundle.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I'm finally FREE FROM BELL! Sold off the last of my Bell hardwares and now enjoying the plethora of Shaw Direct HD offerings for less than Bell charges for.
    Bell can go stuff their good,better,best 3 tier cable packages. Got the 3 free receiver promo and bought a second PVR and enjoying some pick n pay channels without the need for the top tier bundle.
    :D
    Bell still has pick and pay channels and they do have "smaller" bundles that can be added on to the "Good" and "Better" packages. They just aren't well marketed. I guess Bell just wants all their customers on one of those three big packs.

Bell still has pick and pay channels
    Are you talking about Quebec or Ontario- what pick and pay channels do they offer as I don't see any listed on their website?! Are you referring to specialty channels or premium services?!

They just aren't well marketed.
    You mean they don't market them at all because they don't want anyone to know. They have ZERO interest in offering any pick n' pay offerings, from what I can see, not even for the digital specialties which are the channels that all other providers offer a la carte.

I guess Bell just wants all their customers on one of those three big packs.
    Damn straight they do, they are one of the most greediest companies on the planet and all they care about is gouging customers and making as much money as humanly possible. Case in point, they charge more for Hollywood Suite ($8.) than any other provider in Canada- Greed pure and simple. All other providers charge either $5. or $6. for all 4 channels, Shaw Direct just added them and they will be charging 5 bucks once the preview is over- why is Bell selling them for $8.00?!

Are you talking about Quebec or Ontario- what pick and pay channels do they offer as I don't see any listed on their website?! Are you referring to specialty channels or premium services?!
    I'm referring to category B channels. I believe they are $2.49 per channel.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I'm referring to category B channels. I believe they are $2.49 per channel.
    What is your source for this, care to provide a link?! I have inquired about various channels (Comedy Gold, GolTV) and was told they are not available a la carte- is this something new that they are introducing?!

When you look at the package comparisons; if you look at the far right column, if there is a + sign in that column, the channel is available as an add-on (aka a la carte).

Thanks for the reply. I found the page you are talking about (http://www.bell.ca/Bell_TV/Channels), I have never looked at that page and I am sure many others haven't either which begs the question why isn't this information in the programming section?! I noticed the fine print says that some of these add-ons are not available with all packages and there is no price listed. It also does not indicate with which package these channels can be added to, what a confusing website?!

I just tried the site and it won't let you add anything from the so called pick n pay. Are you supposed to call them to add them?
    After I called to complain about my bloated "better" bundle earlier this summer I asked about pick n pay and they said they didn't offer any then.
    Instead they offered a hidden "select" bundle offered to customers in good standing. At least Shaw's site is easy to navigate and adding channels is easier.
    Besides 3 bucks for 2 pick n pays is way better than 2.49 per.

Just as I suspected, there is no pick n' pay, you are mistaken bigoranget.

I contacted Bell and I was told that they do not allow channels to be added individually except for the premium services (ethnics & Sportsnet World). That webpage is poorly designed, the 'add-on' refers to the various theme packs that make up the best package and can be added for $10 each. The table is poorly designed, it makes it seem as though each of the channels listed as an add-on can be added on its own, that is not the case.

As I mentioned above, this horrible, greedy company does not want to offer customers any sort of choice, they have adopted a US style packaging system whereby they lump all channels into 2 or 3 huge packages. They used to offer smaller theme packs and a handful of channels were available pick n' pay but then they changed to this good-better-best garbage system a few years ago. I wonder if there was some sort of management change that led to this packaging change?! The talk these days is all about lack of competition in the wireless sector, they should be focusing on broadcasting as well because competition doesn't exist in that sector either- time for a massive overhaul in these industries IMO.

It's been over a year since Shaw Direct launched Anik G1. Has their HD line-up improved much? Not really.

Channels added to Bell since last summer
    Super Channel HD 3
    Super Channel HD 4
    FX HD
    FXX HD
    TVA Sports 2 HD
    Canal D/Investigation HD
    DTour HD
    Lifetime HD
    M3 HD
    Slice HD
    Treehouse HD
    Encore Avenue HD
    OLN HD
    beIN Sports HD
    TSN 3 HD
    TSN 4 HD
    TSN 5 HD
    CHFD-DT (Global - Thunder Bay)
    CKPR-DT (CTV - Thunder Bay)
    CKSA-DT (CBC - Lloydminster)
    CITL-DT (CTV - Lloydminster)
    CKPG-DT (City - Prince George)
    CFJC-DT (City - Kamloops)
    CIMT-DT (TVA - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CFTF-DT (V - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CHOT-DT (TVA - Gatineau)
    CHMI (City - Portage la Prairie)
    CJNT (City - Montreal)

Channels added to Shaw Direct since last summer
    Zeste HD
    Addik HD
    CASA HD
    Knowledge HD
    City Saskatchewan HD
    MGM Channel
    Sony Movie Channel
    Warner Films
    AXN Movies
    Encore Avenue 2 HD
    TVA Sports 2 HD
    TSN 3 HD
    TSN 4 HD
    TSN 5 HD

That's all in one's opion?

I can only comment on my own experience and view. I have had SD,BTV,Rogers and now Bell Fibe. Are any good? They all have theirr good points and bad.

As to why Bell doesn't offer a Pick & Pay I'm not sure, but they do in Quebec, but I'm not sure how it works there as I don't live in Quebec. But maybe that might change with this CRTC going on presently?

As for the channels carried by one provider but not another I can't comment on a business plan as I don't work for that company or their marketing dept, so don't why they do this?

But?

Some have to remember the difference between Sat & Cable/IPTV on what markets they serve and what limtions they have.

Sat serves the entire country, while cable & IPTV serve local markets.
    Sat has to provide locals for certain markets across the country. They also have to provide all 4 Movie Networks Movie Central,Super Channel & TMN,Super Ecran while IPTV & cable only need to provode 3 East-TMN,Super Ecran & Super Channel. West Movie Centeral & the other two.

As or Specialty channels that I can't answer as to why you see certain ones on certain providers. Contracts? $$? who knows the real story behind the reason.

As for the technical issues with sat, I'm not that knowledgeable in this area so can't really comment on the bandwidth or how it works with TRS,MPEG4,8SPK Turbo thing or anything like that, at what each sat can carry or how it effects PQ on TRS for other companies.

The one thing that I hear all the time is

"What a waste of Bandwidth"

The problem with that is everyone has their personal choice of what they think is a "waste of bandwidth"

Personally I don't care for sports channels, so I think their a waste of bandwidth, but that's just my view, while another may think music channels are waste or news channels or locals and so on.

I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong or I'm wrong and others are right, we all have are opions and views on the " Sat/Cable/IPTV/and how its delivered and how we get to choose or not choose what we want to see".

Their are many ways of watching tv today then there was 20+ years ago.Iknow you got the present view via Sat,Cable & IPTV, but you also have internet but I'm NO WAY I'm more old school of watching tv and can't comment on the different sites and all that kind of stuff on the internet and how to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Just as I suspected, there is no pick n' pay, you are mistaken bigoranget.

I contacted Bell and I was told that they do not allow channels to be added individually except for the premium services (ethnics & Sportsnet World). That webpage is poorly designed, the 'add-on' refers to the various theme packs that make up the best package and can be added for $10 each. The table is poorly designed, it makes it seem as though each of the channels listed as an add-on can be added on its own, that is not the case.

As I mentioned above, this horrible, greedy company does not want to offer customers any sort of choice, they have adopted a US style packaging system whereby they lump all channels into 2 or 3 huge packages. They used to offer smaller theme packs and a handful of channels were available pick n' pay but then they changed to this good-better-best garbage system a few years ago. I wonder if there was some sort of management change that led to this packaging change?! The talk these days is all about lack of competition in the wireless sector, they should be focusing on broadcasting as well because competition doesn't exist in that sector either- time for a massive overhaul in these industries IMO.
    It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.You should try it sometime. What?Don't frown.It just went down.Its fun being weird.You should try it sometime. The Detour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT-QOJG9qQ

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post

It's been over a year since Shaw Direct launched Anik G1. Has their HD line-up improved much? Not really.

Channels added to Bell since last summer

Super Channel HD 3
    Super Channel HD 4
    FX HD
    FXX HD
    TVA Sports 2 HD
    Canal D/Investigation HD
    DTour HD
    Lifetime HD
    M3 HD
    Slice HD
    Treehouse HD
    Encore Avenue HD
    OLN HD
    beIN Sports HD
    TSN 3 HD
    TSN 4 HD
    TSN 5 HD
    CHFD-DT (Global - Thunder Bay)
    CKPR-DT (CTV - Thunder Bay)
    CKSA-DT (CBC - Lloydminster)
    CITL-DT (CTV - Lloydminster)
    CKPG-DT (City - Prince George)
    CFJC-DT (City - Kamloops)
    CIMT-DT (TVA - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CFTF-DT (V - Rivière-du-Loup)
    CHOT-DT (TVA - Gatineau)
    CHMI (City - Portage la Prairie)
    CJNT (City - Montreal)

Quality over Quantity. Almost all of the channels Bell added were already available in HD on Shaw Direct, and channels like FX were never even available on Bell in standard definition. There is a huge difference between not being able to watch a news channel in HD on Shaw Direct and not being able to watch a channel like BC1 at all on Bell. At least most of Shaw Direct's missing HD channels are available in standard definition

If we are going to point out how many locals Bell added we should also point out how many key local channels they still refuse to carry. Local channels are the channels people watch the most, Bell customers in the Maritimes still don't get Global Halifax HD (which has been gaining viewers for its news programming while CTV and CBC experience ratings declines) despite the fact that Global Halifax has been producing high quality extensive local newscasts in HD from morning to night for years while CTV Atlantic only launched HD newscasts this summer. Bell customers in Manitoba still don't get Global Winnipeg HD, home of Winnipeg's only news helicopter and the only station with 6:00PM news 7 days a week. Bell customers in Regina and Saskatoon still can't watch Global's HD local newscasts that rate among the top 10 most watched programs. Bell customers in Edmonton still don't get Global Edmonton HD, home of Edmonton's most watched newscasts from morning to night with more news than any other station and Edmonton's only news helicopter.

Bell customers in Victoria also don’t have access to CHEK in HD. Yet they carry CTV Two Victoria HD which does not produce local news in HD and offers no HD programming that is not available on other stations. But just like Global, CHEK is a threat to CTV’s local news, so just like Global it doesn't get HD carriage on Bell.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

[QUOTE=TOM_T;67266]

As for the channels carried by one provider but not another I can't comment on a business plan as I don't work for that company or their marketing dept, so don't why they do this?

Bell's business plan clearly involves protecting Bell Media. They are refusing to carry channels that compete against Bell Media channels, despite the fact that these channels are carried on most if not all other providers.

Some have to remember the difference between Sat & Cable/IPTV on what markets they serve and what limtions they have.

Sat serves the entire country, while cable & IPTV serve local markets.
    Sat has to provide locals for certain markets across the country. They also have to provide all 4 Movie Networks Movie Central,Super Channel & TMN,Super Ecran while IPTV & cable only need to provode 3 East-TMN,Super Ecran & Super Channel. West Movie Centeral & the other two.

As or Specialty channels that I can't answer as to why you see certain ones on certain providers. Contracts? $$? who knows the real story behind the reason.

As for the technical issues with sat, I'm not that knowledgeable in this area so can't really comment on the bandwidth or how it works with TRS,MPEG4,8SPK Turbo thing or anything like that, at what each sat can carry or how it effects PQ on TRS for other companies.
    When it comes to locals, Bell is required by the CRTC to carry every local in standard definition, but they can carry what they want in HD, and they have decided to give the CTV stations they own an advantage by refusing to carry stations that pose any threat to CTV News. CBC and City HD stations are carried because almost nobody is watching the news they broadcast and they pose zero threat to CTV's news operations. Global is CTV's only real competitor for news from an audience standpoint and that's why Bell does not carry Global HD in almost all of the markets they carry a CTV HD station. The 3 Global HD stations they do carry (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto) were added to Bell TV's lineup before Bell purchased CTV. Since Bell purchased CTV they have added zero Global HD stations while adding CTV HD stations in several markets, followed by CBC HD and City HD stations which again pose zero threat to the ratings for CTV News. When it comes to Global HD, it has nothing to do with bandwidth or money, it even has nothing to do with demand since Bell is carrying local HD CBC and City stations from the same cities that have almost no local news audience, the only reason Global HD stations are not available on Bell is because they are the only stations that actually compete with CTV for viewers.

Not getting some popular channels in HD is not the end of the world, even if it's the local channel you watch the most, but it is a more enjoyable viewing experience watching your local news in HD, and the reason why Bell is refusing to offer these channels in HD should be what's unacceptable to Bell customers.

Shaw Direct could easily do this too if they wanted. They don't need to carry any CTV HD stations, they could just broadcast Global HD along with the City and CBC HD stations that pose no threat to Global's news operations. But unlike Bell, Shaw Direct cares about their customers and they allow their customers to access a local CTV HD station in every single market they offer Global HD. CTV has an unfair HD carriage advantage because Shaw Direct is playing fair to serve their customers.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 10-11-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Some interesting developments based on some recent posts in another forum. It looks like Bell TV is on the verge of dropping some specialty channels. Interestingly enough, most of these channels are owned by Bell Media.

As of early December, the following channels will no longer be offered:
    - ESPN Classic Canada
    - Juicebox
    - MuchVibe
    - bpm:tv (owned by Stornoway, limited nationwide coverage as it is not being offered on Shaw Direct)

Not sure what the exact reasons are. ESPN Classic in the U.S. is in the process of being converted into an on-demand service on Dish Network, so that is one possiblity. They recently dropped CBS Sports Network around the same time that TSN added its 5 channels in late August, as well as several ethnic channels last month.

As for the music channels, they have never been available on Bell Fibe TV, interestingly enough.

Whether this is being done to allow for the addition of existing non-Bell owned specialty channels already on other providers has been raised. There's also the possibility that these channels may be shutting down for various factors including the CRTC's decision on the pick and pay issue.

Also being followed closely on the other forum is the possibility of Bell adding Nat Geo Wild. There's a test channel listed for the specialty service on Bell TV. Also, Bell Fibe routinely adds channels to its lineup every Thursday on the third week of each month, so there's been talk every now and then that it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    Some interesting developments based on some recent posts in another forum. It looks like Bell TV is on the verge of dropping some specialty channels. Interestingly enough, most of these channels are owned by Bell Media.

As of early December, the following channels will no longer be offered:
    - ESPN Classic Canada
    - Juicebox
    - MuchVibe
    - bpm:tv (owned by Stornoway, limited nationwide coverage as it is not being offered on Shaw Direct)

Not sure what the exact reasons are. ESPN Classic in the U.S. is in the process of being converted into an on-demand service on Dish Network, so that is one possiblity. They recently dropped CBS Sports Network around the same time that TSN added its 5 channels in late August, as well as several ethnic channels last month.

As for the music channels, they have never been available on Bell Fibe TV, interestingly enough.

Whether this is being done to allow for the addition of existing non-Bell owned specialty channels already on other providers has been raised. There's also the possibility that these channels may be shutting down for various factors including the CRTC's decision on the pick and pay issue.

Also being followed closely on the other forum is the possibility of Bell adding Nat Geo Wild. There's a test channel listed for the specialty service on Bell TV. Also, Bell Fibe routinely adds channels to its lineup every Thursday on the third week of each month, so there's been talk every now and then that it could happen.
    If you ask me Bell and Shaw Direct both suck monkeyballs...Thankfully come 2015 I will be telling Bell Tv to go to hell and may go cable...It just doesn't pay to have Satellite Tv anymore

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    There is a huge difference between not being able to watch a news channel in HD on Shaw Direct and not being able to watch a channel like BC1 at all on Bell.

Local channels are the channels people watch the most, Bell customers in the Maritimes still don't get Global Halifax HD (which has been gaining viewers for its news programming while CTV and CBC experience ratings declines) despite the fact that Global Halifax has been producing high quality extensive local newscasts in HD from morning to night for years while CTV Atlantic only launched HD newscasts this summer.
    OMG, you're gonna make me cry with such a sad story !

From YOUR point of view, Global News BC1 is a VVVIP high high priority that should be distributed to very single canadian home. When Shaw/Rogers will launch Shomi, it won't be launched as a pure Over-The-Top (OTT) service but as an additional product on the cable bill that uses the internet bandwidth, and you're seriously convinced all other BDUs will get on board on this product...

But hey, Bell's example just shows you how canadians are losing with dumb decisions made by Bell, Shaw, Rogers and Quebecor... you just haven't learned it yet.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 10-11-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Thankfully come 2015 I will be telling Bell Tv to go to hell and may go cable...It just doesn't pay to have Satellite Tv anymore
    Can't blame you as I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way. I did switch over from Bell TV (satellite) to Bell Fibe back in March. Looking back now, I can say that I switched at just the right time.

[QUOTE=InMontreal;67282]

From YOUR point of view, Global News BC1 is a VVVIP high high priority that should be distributed to very single canadian home.
    I never said that. I do think BC1 is a channel all providers that serve BC should carry, I think all local BC stations should be carried on providers that serve BC, including Bell.
    When Shaw/Rogers will launch Shomi, it won't be launched as a pure Over-The-Top (OTT) service but as an additional product on the cable bill that uses the internet bandwidth,

All online video uses internet bandwidth. One of the great things about shomi is how it does not use internet bandwidth if you use it on your TV with your set top box.

and you're seriously convinced all other BDUs will get on board on this product...
    Again, I never said that. I have no idea how many providers will make an agreement to offer shomi. I do think at least some will make an agreement. You appear think it doesn't make sense for any provider to make an agreement for shomi, just like you didn't think it made sense for providers to offer Global Go, and look how wrong you were about that. You thought Global Go was dumb so it's no surprise you feel the same way about shomi.

But hey, Bell's example just shows you how canadians are losing with dumb decisions made by Bell, Shaw, Rogers and Quebecor... you just haven't learned it yet.
    Most of the decisions you think are "dumb" are actually smart business decisions. Of course you think Canadians are losing, you think any decision that makes money and ensures quality content still exists for consumers is "dumb" or "greedy".