Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    Canada AM has always done well in Montreal, but itís easy to do well when you are the only English show on the air (Global had a local morning show years ago but it was at a significant disadvantage as it has no carriage on both satellite providers), and since local morning news crushes Canada AM in western Canada they thought they would have success if they provided viewers with Montrealís only local show. Unfortunately the Montreal audience loyalty to Canada AM was under-estimated. There was one clue in Canada AMís favor though, unlike the other markets where Global recently launched local morning news, Montreal is unique in the fact that Canada AM did well. Canada AM didn't do well in Winnipeg, Regina, and Saskatoon, but it did well in Montreal (I would also assume that Canada AM has a good amount of Montreal stories now that their almost if not their entire audience is in either Ontario or Montreal)

    The one bright side for Global Montrealís Morning News and City Montrealís BT is the fact that both shows will be on the air for a number of years regardless of how many people tune in. Morning News is a multi-year benefit commitment for Shaw and BT is the cheapest way for Rogers to fulfill City Montrealís local programming requirements, so although the overwhelming dominance of Canada AM means that these shows will likely struggle in the ratings (the ratings for Global Montrealís Morning News just shows how hard it will be for Breakfast Television to enter the market) they will have several years to try and build an audience. Will they ever be a competitor to Canada AM? Probably not but at least they will have the opportunity to try.

    Another bright side on the low ratings is that if Global Montrealís Morning News was successful it would be pretty unlikely for CTV Montreal to sit back and do nothing. They are the dominant station in the market and Bell Media has been very aggressive in launching local morning shows when they feel threatened. They didn't feel threatened by Global in Montreal but had it been successful it would have likely meant the end of Canada AM in Montreal and CTV Montreal would have CTV Morning Live on the air by August. Competing against CTV Montrealís local morning show would be far worse than Canada AM.
    I'll let Blog Fagstein explain why Global Montreal Morning is only getting 500 viewers:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fagstein
    It would be easy to have too much fun with this, to make jokes about the show's lack of impact (I've heard a few already). But it's not for lack of effort from those involved. Hosts Richard Dagenais and Camille Ross are trying hard to get comfortable in their new roles, deal with the technical issues and make the show work. Jessica Laventure has been trying to make her presence as entertaining and informative as possible. And the people behind the scenes are tearing their hair out juggling everything to put three hours a day of live television on the air. They all deserve better.


    If anyone deserves blame for this, it's Global management and Shaw Media, which have put the bare minimum (one could argue even less than that) into the show in terms of resources. It's understaffed, underfunded, undermarketed, and so it should come as no surprise that it's underviewed.


    This show is here to fulfill a commitment that Shaw made to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission when it bought Global TV in 2010. It promised to fund local morning shows in six markets, including $5 million for Montreal until 2017. That means no matter how badly the show is received, it will continue to be on air at least until then. So in a sense Global doesn't have to care about ratings, certainly not in the first few weeks.


    But it should, for two reasons. First, Global News Senior VP Troy Reeb told me he wants the show to be self-sufficient. Not necessarily to be profitable with advertising, but to come close enough to breaking even that it's worth continuing the investment and building a viewer relationship. That won't happen if it continues to build a relationship as an unwatchable show with nothing to offer.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post


    Here I thought, even though musimax disturbingly loves hostile toxic discussions maybe he will keep it about the topic if instead of personal attacks? Maybe if I don't say anything negative towards him he will show some respect.
    You know what, I'll give you that. I apologize. You did show considerable restraint in not getting personal, rude, and nasty and I'll give you credit there. If you're turning a new leaf, I welcome that and I can too (however, by no means does that mean I stop pointing out your spamming, flaws in logic and hypocrisy when need be, unless you stop acting like that and become a regular/normal user on here, which won't happen but anyways...). But, that doesn't change the fact that you're defending this show on every end which in crazy IMO. From top to bottom, this show is a disaster, and it's probably not for a lack of trying (I'm assuming) from those that work on it. They are probably doing the best they can given the circumstances of given very little to work with from management.

    And FYI, I wasn't going to defend them on here, I only did so when you brought me into the discussion.


    That's kind of besides the point here, because you still are defending them, whether you originally were going to or not.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I think the root cause of financial problems with many locals in Canada is the fact that they overpay for US programming.
    Local channels don't bid on U.S. programming or pay U.S. producers. The networks do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    It seems to me that no one is talking about how much local stations have to pay to access network programming and the fact that Networks and Studios get most of the pie leaving just a few crumbs for the local stations.
    But in Canada, the networks own almost all of the local stations. They don't really pay for network programming. It's just BCE, etc. paying themselves.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I never said they NEED a newscast, i'm saying it's very unlikely to be a ratings success if all you have is a morning show, and you can prove my point by looking at stations across the country with only a morning show. Is V's morning show #1? No, TVA's is. In most markets people watch the same station for news throughout the day, if all you have is a morning show you are giving your viewers to your competitor in other news time slots.

    You couldn't be more wrong here. First, CBC had their news moved to 5:00PM because of a Toronto decision for the network, they didn't look at Montreal and go "Montreal needs this", it was a decision made in Toronto and mandated for the entire network. Shaw does the opposite with Global. They are by far the best at scheduling newscasts in time slots where it makes sense for local markets. If Global Montreal had the same thing as Global Toronto their newscast would actually start at 5:30PM, because that's when Global Toronto's starts.
    Hmmm, ok, we both agree that Montreal is a small market for Global, so 30 minutes local news is plenty enough. Right? so it doesn't make sense to start a one hour show at 5:30 to get to Global National at 6:30.

    But CTV Montreal still dominates the newscast at 6pm (1 hour long... hey, the market ain't small for CTV!) with a Dr. Oz simulcast as its lead-in.
    Global is by far the best at scheduling Ricardo & Friends at 5:30pm, while City have 2Ĺ Men syndicated runs and CBC have "headline news more informations at 6". Sooooo... There's nobody offering local news at 5:30. Ricardo can air well at 6. No family watch Ricardo together. Global knows they lose ratings at 6pm.

    TVA have news from 5pm to 6:30pm, while V network have happy ratings with their 5 to 7pm family-time programming, and Radio-Canada have game show at 5:30pm and news at 6pm.

    Conclusion, between 5 and 7pm, all networks but Global have a show that the whole family can watch.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

    Concerning evening news ratings, well, as the blogger mentionned, CBC Montreal gets good 5 to 6pm ratings, but at 6pm everyone switches to CTV. Global Montreal have an opportunity here to move their newscast at 5:30pm, but off course, Toronto decision. Stupid. One day, they'll need to figure out they can't compete against CTV dominance and use strategic counter-programming instead of mimick Global Toronto and hope for a wind of change in ratings.

    .


    I should have addressed this earlier because you are using this theory as your argument. It's not realistic to assume that most people are watching CBC's 5:00PM news and then switching to CTV at 6:00PM for yet another hour of news, that theory makes so little sense on so many levels. It's likely that the vast majority of people who watch CBC's news at 5:00PM & 5:30PM DO NOT watch CTV's newscast at 6:00PM. The newscasts are not designed to complement each other, they are designed to compete so anyone watching CBC at 5:00PM then CTV at 6:00PM would see mostly the same stories and weather with just different anchors, reporters, ect. Unless there's a major breaking news story it's very unlikely that many people are watching an hour of news followed by another hour of basically the same stories on another station. Why are CBC's ratings lower at 6:00PM? Because it's not realistic to expect their entire audience to watch a full 90 minutes of news (especially repetitive news), there is no station in Canada able to maintain the same audience over a 90 minute news block. It's just not realistic to do a 2 hour or 90 minute news block and not see some sort of drop off

    This is why Global Montreal moving the Evening News a half hour earlier is unlikely to result in better ratings. Even if they don't directly compete against CTV at 6:00PM they will still be trying to get viewers to watch Global's newscast instead of CTV's. It's not realistic to expect most viewers to watch both CTV & Global's local newscasts since they will cover many of the same stories, and CTV's dominance in the market means that Global starting their newscast a half hour earlier simply wont be enough to convince people to switch. If Global was a stronger competitor to CTV in Montreal then yes starting first might give them an advantage, but that's not the case, CTV Montreal dominates the ratings from morning to night. Plus as I said earlier, moving their newscast risks losing the audience they have, and you are ignoring the facts that Global National (which shares the same audience as the Evening News) performed poorly at 5:30PM as well, and the fact that Global's local news performed poorly back when it aired at 5:30PM.

    Conclusion, between 5 and 7pm, all networks but Global have a show that the whole family can watch.
    I don't see the newscast as a show "the whole family will watch", news appeals to an audience of 25+, which is no different than the audience of a show like Ricardo and Friends. Speaking of Ricardo and Friends, it's not just a popular Food Network series, it's a Quebec produced show featuring a popular Quebec TV chef using ingredients from Quebec growers and Quebec suppliers to cook meals for his Quebec family. I don't see how this isn't an appropriate show for a Montreal/Quebec TV station to air around dinner time, using it as a lead-in at 5:30PM to a 1 hour news block at 6:00PM has more flow than the schedule you suggested.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 05-26-2013 at 11:33 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    311
    I am in agreement that Ottawa would have been a better market to enter.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I should have addressed this earlier because you are using this theory as your argument. It's not realistic to assume that most people are watching CBC's 5:00PM news and then switching to CTV at 6:00PM for yet another hour of news, that theory makes so little sense on so many levels. It's likely that the vast majority of people who watch CBC's news at 5:00PM & 5:30PM DO NOT watch CTV's newscast at 6:00PM.
    The numbers don't agree with you. From the Gazette article (link in the 1st message of the thread) :
    - CBC 5 to 6pm : 21,000 viewers
    - CBC 6 to 6:30pm : 11,000 viewers
    - Global 6 to 6:30pm : 3,800 viewers
    - CTV 6 to 7pm : 133,000 viewers

    So, CBC loses 10,000 viewers at 6 (almost half its 5pm viewers), Global gains 3,800 viewers from scratch or Ricardo, and CTV gains 133,000 viewers from scratch or Dr. Oz.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    there is no station in Canada able to maintain the same audience over a 90 minute news block. It's just not realistic to do a 2 hour or 90 minute news block and not see some sort of drop off
    Again, the numbers don't agree with you :
    http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_...ecTop30_fr.pdf

    TVA Nouvelles 17h to 18h : 665,000 viewers
    TVA Nouvelles 18h to 18:30 : 827,000 viewers

    Why does TVA *gain* viewers at 6 but CBC *lose* half its audience at 6 ?
    Also noteworthy, Radio-Canada's Tťlťjournal doesn't make the Top 30, meaning more viewers are watching Revenge (Vengeance) and Dallas than all of SRC's newscasts.

    Since the 5 to 7pm news get the best newscast ratings for the whole day, and nobody watches Global News at 6 due to crushing competition, how do you expect viewers to sample Global Montreal's news quality by trying out the morning news ?

    I mentionned it a few months ago in another thread, but ABC Vermont started out their news at 7pm due to strong competition in a small market, then expanded to 11pm, then expanded to 5-7am before Good Morning America, then switches to sister station Fox for 7am to 9am., and they now do a 6pm newscast on ABC on top of the 7pm news... if ratings were bad, they wouldn't expand that much.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [QUOTE=InMontreal;62280]

    The numbers don't agree with you. From the Gazette article (link in the 1st message of the thread) :
    - CBC 5 to 6pm : 21,000 viewers
    - CBC 6 to 6:30pm : 11,000 viewers
    - Global 6 to 6:30pm : 3,800 viewers
    - CTV 6 to 7pm : 133,000 viewers

    So, CBC loses 10,000 viewers at 6 (almost half its 5pm viewers),
    Those numbers don't prove your absurd theory that most of the viewers watching CBC News at 5:00PM switch to CTV News at 6:00PM. CBC losing 10,000 viewers after they just viewed a full hour of CBC News is normal. As I said earlier, it's not realistic to expect a 90 minute news block to maintain the same audience, you are going to experience some drop off especially with the same stories. You are also ignoring the fact that CTV and CBC's local newscasts will cover many of the same stories. They are designed to compete against each other with the same stories, not complement each other and make it appealing for viewers to watch both. News viewers are loyal to their station, which is why in almost every market the same station dominates in ALL news time slots, but even if you ignore that fact it still doesn't make sense for viewers in any market to watch each stations evening newscast. There is just no logic in watching the same stories with different reporters.
    CTV gains 133,000 viewers from scratch or Dr. Oz.
    Wow, you think CTV is gaining 133,000 viewers from scratch? No, I don't have the numbers on hand but CTV is without a doubt winning the 5:00PM time slot. Did you seriously think CBC was winning 5:00PM with 21,000 viewers? You really think CTV would sit back and get beat by CBC? CBC Montreal's ratings are horrible to CTV's by comparison.


    Again, the numbers don't agree with you :
    http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_...ecTop30_fr.pdf

    TVA Nouvelles 17h to 18h : 665,000 viewers
    TVA Nouvelles 18h to 18:30 : 827,000 viewers

    Re-Read what I said, I didn't say no station gains viewers through the block. I said no station is able to maintain the same audience for a 90 minute news block. These numbers prove that TVA is not able to maintain the same audience for their entire 90 minute block.



    Why does TVA *gain* viewers at 6 but CBC *lose* half its audience at 6 ?
    Because expecting stations to maintain the same amount of viewers throughout a 90 minute news block is not realistic. You are either going to gain viewers or lose viewers at some point, some newscasts gain some newscasts lose, that does not mean that those viewers are switching to other newscasts, it just means that they aren't willing to commit to 90 minutes of news, which is understandable.


    Since the 5 to 7pm news get the best newscast ratings for the whole day, and nobody watches Global News at 6 due to crushing competition, how do you expect viewers to sample Global Montreal's news quality by trying out the morning news ?
    What you don't seem to understand is that Global Montreal's Evening News would still be competing against CTV's Evening News for viewers if it moved to 5:30PM. Viewers don't watch each stations newscasts, they watch 1 of the 3, and CTV is so dominant that their competitor having an earlier/later start is not going to give their competitor much of an advantage.


    I mentionned it a few months ago in another thread, but ABC Vermont started out their news at 7pm due to strong competition in a small market, then expanded to 11pm, then expanded to 5-7am before Good Morning America, then switches to sister station Fox for 7am to 9am., and they now do a 6pm newscast on ABC on top of the 7pm news... if ratings were bad, they wouldn't expand that much.
    Again, ridiculously comparing U.S. stations which have totally different circumstances to Canadian stations. U.S. stations have far more financial advantages which make launching new local newscasts more viable. They also have nothing to lose with launching new newscasts since they don't have local programming requirements, if a 7:00PM newscast does not work then they can just cancel their news and sit back collecting carriage fees off syndicated and network programming. Global Montreal can't afford to take those risks, they move the Evening News from 6:00PM and they risk losing the audience they have.

    If it were as simple as you think it is a time slot change would have already happened. They have made strategic time slot changes when it makes sense and they have the most flexible local news schedule of any network in Canada. They have far more knowledge of audience and market data than you but you think you know better. You are suggesting they take huge risks with major financial implications based on very little knowledge of audience data.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by reidster View Post
    I am in agreement that Ottawa would have been a better market to enter.
    Why?
    I thought TVViewer explained why they wouldn't do that.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Those numbers don't prove your absurd theory that most of the viewers watching CBC News at 5:00PM switch to CTV News at 6:00PM. CBC losing 10,000 viewers after they just viewed a full hour of CBC News is normal. As I said earlier, it's not realistic to expect a 90 minute news block to maintain the same audience, you are going to experience some drop off especially with the same stories.


    I have to agree with TVViewer on this, the average viewer won't switch to CTV after watching CBC news, even if you count OCD's into the mix it still wouldn't explain the differences. and like TVViewer said, the drop off is because at 6-6:30pm is just a recap of CBC News from 5-6pm for those who might have missed it.


    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Wow, you think CTV is gaining 133,000 viewers from scratch? No, I don't have the numbers on hand but CTV is without a doubt winning the 5:00PM time slot. Did you seriously think CBC was winning 5:00PM with 21,000 viewers? You really think CTV would sit back and get beat by CBC? CBC Montreal's ratings are horrible to CTV's by comparison.


    According to fagstein, CBC Montreal has doubled its viewership in the 5pm slot in the past year, and could double again next year, so it must mean that its starting to erode the other shows viewership in the same slot. I doubt CTV will make a move unless it starts eroding away at their 6pm viewership; however seeing that CTV has 97,200 more viewers than the CBC and Global combined viewership, it doesn't look like they're going to move anytime soon.

    One theory why CTV Montreal is gaining so many viewers is their countless times they advertise "...more at six o'clock" during their commercials, and seeing they have 20 of the Top 30 shows they can advertise CTV Montreal at 6pm over and over again until its burn into your dreams and the back of your eyelids.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I have to agree with TVViewer on this, the average viewer won't switch to CTV after watching CBC news, even if you count OCD's into the mix it still wouldn't explain the differences. and like TVViewer said, the drop off is because at 6-6:30pm is just a recap of CBC News from 5-6pm for those who might have missed it.
    But it still doesn't explain why TVA gains viewers and CBC loses viewers. Both boadcasters located in the same market produce news from 5 to 6:30pm.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    But it still doesn't explain why TVA gains viewers and CBC loses viewers. Both boadcasters located in the same market produce news from 5 to 6:30pm.
    Could simply be viewing habits. Does TVA repeat the first hour of news in a condensed form for the next half-hour like the CBC does?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    But it still doesn't explain why TVA gains viewers and CBC loses viewers. Both boadcasters located in the same market produce news from 5 to 6:30pm.

    Probably because CBC is one of the few stations in Canada which considers their 5:00PM newscast their flagship newscast as opposed to 6:00PM. In English Canada most TV stations consider their 6:00PM newscast their flagship newscast. The flagship newscasts has the most high profile personalities, is the most promoted, and usually has the most resources, in depth investigative reports, ect.., if TVA is like the English stations and considers their 6:00PM news as their flagship then it's not surprising they gain viewers at 6:00PM (and typically more people are watching TV at 6:00PM) In Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton Global's flagship 6:00PM newscast, the News Hour gains viewers from the 5:30PM Global National and 5:00PM Early News. CTV's flagship 6:00PM newscast also gains from the 5:00PM news in those markets, and in Toronto Citytv's 6:00PM newscast makes massive gains from the 5:00PM newscast. CBC does things differently, they made a 90 minute flagship newscast starting at 5:00PM, CBC's 5:00PM news has the same on-air team, the same stories, ect.. as 6:00PM and their marketing is designed to get viewers to tune in at 5:00PM. They haven't been very successful with this strategy (Montreal is one of CBC's strongest markets in terms of market share) and the 90 minute local newscast means they lose steam by 6:00PM but that's just the way they decided to do things. So when you consider that their main focus is getting viewers to tune in at 5:00PM and the fact it's not likely everyone will watch an entire 90 minute newscast it's not surprising the ratings are the way they are.

    Something else to add, CBC Montrealís ratings may be better than Global Montrealís but that doesnít make them good. Global Montreal would certainly be happy with 21,000 viewers for their Evening News but it wouldnít make their local news profitable. You seem to be forgetting is that it is EXTREMELY hard to break even on local news, let alone turn a profit. The vast majority of local stations, regardless of the network, lose money on local news even with high ratings. Unless you are a highly rated station in a large market it's unlikely the station is making money on local programming. Growing your audience can reduce the losses but even if Global Montreal were to TRIPLE their audience (which is not realistic) they would still be losing money. It's easier to justify doing something risky like a time slot change if there is a chance that you could actually start breaking even or turn a profit, but to basically gamble with the financial future of the stations news operation just for the slim chance to lose a little less money simply does not make sense. They have everything to lose and very little to gain here. Shaw is committed to operating Global Montreal under the current financial situation with their current viewers & ad rates and it's better for them to build their audience while maintaining the audience they have. Moving the newscast to a new time slot is throwing away the audience they have and trying to build a new one from scratch. It just doesn't make sense.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Probably because CBC is one of the few stations in Canada which considers their 5:00PM newscast their flagship newscast as opposed to 6:00PM. CBC Montreal’s ratings may be better than Global Montreal’s but that doesn’t make them good.
    Nice theories, but what do you know about the Montreal market, except bitching about it?

    Regardless...
    I watched the last 30 minutes of the show : Two times the same Walk-In Bathtub for old people ad (that's low-quality national ad, just like the ProActiv and No-No that CHCH uses all day) which doesn't even target their audience, back from commercials, Richard and Camille talk, go to in-studio Jessica monologue about weather after circulation... Now the part I don't get : The ciculation map covers the whole 16:9 screen, meaning the "Global News" logo at the bottom right corner is over the map. And then, the usual "news ticker" pops up at this specific moment and reveals... weather ! Covering the lower-third of the screen, just like snipes appearing during primetime shows. Didn't Jessica said she'll provide weather info after circulation? What was the point of that news ticker at that moment? What's the point of trying to be useful with cool animated maps when the screen is filled with junk ? Feels like those YouTube "annotations" that reads "join my channel" for the whole lenght of the video. Fudge that! I won't join your channel if you're too annoying.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Mostly because of the quality of Ottawa stations is terrible for an anglo market of 800k,. I've lived in Northern Ontario, and the low budget MCTV was miles better than the CTV Ottawa news department. When you are filling 40+ minutes of your hour long Noon News with cooking and shopping, you've got a terrible station. CBC Ottawa isn't much better, either (although I do prefer it). Neither have the latest technology, the CTV set is terrible. If Global came in an re-created their Global Toronto newsroom for Ottawa, I think it could easily compete with CTV. I understand that this is all my personal opinion, but I also believe that the Anglo Ottawa market is bigger than the Montreal Anglo market, and is less competitive to begin with.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Just for fun, I watched the last 10 minutes of Global's local morning show... again. So after circulation, it was Jessica's weather segment, but instead we were treated for one whole minute with a "Global News" slate with audio from the anchors microphones... who said nothing. Before going back to studio, we saw again the circulation map for 2 seconds, then Richard introduced "good morning, it's 8:56AM..." and said "Jessica mentionned there will be a thunderstorm..."

    Yeah, ok, so there was no "remote to studio" reception problem, just not the right button pressed, and nobody bothered putting up the weather map.

    Amateurs, or understaffed, or the automated system really sucks.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'll let Blog Fagstein explain why Global Montreal Morning is only getting 500 viewers:


    Steve may have been given the ratings for Montreal, but he clearly has no idea what the ratings are in the PPM non-diary markets (Montreal is a diary market where people write in what they watch for a few weeks), *Edit, he has since corrected his mistake* Look at a conversation on his blog of someone responding to the host announcement for Breakfast Television Montreal:

    http://blog.fagstein.com/2013/06/06/...amed-bt-hosts/

    Carole: This could possibly get a zero rating. I imagine no more than 10 people will watch on a regular basis. CRTC make do projects never work and this is exceptionally stupid

    Blogger Steve: It was Rogers's idea to start a morning show here. Unless you consider the very concept of local television to be a "make do project". Considering how highly rated Breakfast Television is in other markets, I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
    Wait "HIGHLY RATED"? Everyone knows BT does horrible outside of Toronto. It's understaffed and underfunded and the only thing Rogers does to improve it is replace the hosts every few years, it's crushed by Global's Morning News in the 3 major markets (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton) and is either beat or almost beat by CTV Morning Live, which is shocking given how CTV Morning Live just launched and had to build their audience from scratch while BT has been on the air for a number of years. Breakfast Television is a ratings success in Toronto and Toronto only, and the Toronto BT has a budget and resources the other shows (including Montreal) do not even come close to having.

    Clarence: And your point is? Global News is a powerhouse in BC. Did that spill over into the Montreal market in any manner?

    Blogger Steve: No, because Global clearly wasn't willing to put in the kind of resources in Montreal that it has in B.C. I see no hesitation from Rogers to invest in Montreal.
    Clearly he knows as much about television as he does the ratings for BT outside of Toronto. He actually sees what Rogers is doing in Montreal as "no hesitation to invest". Wow. Only a morning show is no hesitation to invest? Seriously? It's called doing the bare minimum.

    The conversation continues:

    Clarence: You are drinking "the" Kool-Aid if you think Rogers gives a crap about the Montreal market beyond what they had to do to get the license to sim sub the last remaining major market for them in Canada. Getting the advertising revenue for Modern Family (et al) in Quebec is exactly what it was all about. Nothing less. Any "local" programming will be under funded and a disaster.

    Blogger Steve: I won't deny that this is a major factor. But it's hardly the only one. City has some original Canadian programming, for example, and would like to give that a larger audience. And if Rogers cared so little about its local programs, Breakfast Television wouldn't be so highly rated in other markets. What do you base this on other than prejudice?
    Again, Yes he actually said "if Rogers cared so little about its local programs, Breakfast Television wouldn't be so highly rated in other markets." So now not only does Rogers care so much about only doing a morning show as understaffed and unfunded as possible but that same understaffed and underfunded morning show is "highly rated in other markets".

    Again, he has corrected his mistake in his original replies and I give him credit for that, it's just frustrating to see someone constantly mention the low ratings of Global Montreal and then say shows getting similar ratings in other markets are "highly rated".
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-15-2013 at 06:37 PM.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Clearly he knows as much about television as he does the ratings for BT outside of Toronto. He actually sees what Rogers is doing in Montreal as "no hesitation to invest". Wow. Only a morning show is no hesitation to invest? Seriously? It's called doing the bare minimum.
    Actually, you're wrong.
    "Montreal Connected" show launched May 30th.
    "Only in Montreal" show will be launched this summer.
    Then a BT morning show will launch in august.

    Which IMHO is more than I expected from that a low-power station which retains its ethnic-station position on the dial.

    In contrast, CKMI produces only ONE non-news show, Focus Montreal, because it's part of their licence, and it's being dumped to sunday at midnight just so nobody watches it... and I don't even know what the show is about.
    As for news, Global Montreal have regional offices in Quebec City and Sherbrooke, but so far, I've only seen news for Montreal. Yup, the bare minimum.

    TVViewer, weren't you the one complaining that CJNT was getting ZERO rating for ethnic shows in primetime, while being owned by Canwest ? Give it a rest, Canwest sold the station for 6$, and Channel Zero sold it for 10 million. You snooze, you lose.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 06-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,494
    "So highly rated in other markets," or simply highly successful --> at least according to the self-serving Rogers press release:

    http://www.rogersmediatv.ca/pr_detail.php?id=817

    Slated to launch summer 2013, Breakfast Television on City Montreal will be modeled on the highly successful morning shows in Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton, but will have a distinctly Montreal format.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Actually, you're wrong.
    "Montreal Connected" show launched May 30th.
    "Only in Montreal" show will be launched this summer.
    Then a BT morning show will launch in august.

    Which IMHO is more than I expected from that a low-power station which retains its ethnic-station position on the dial.

    In contrast, CKMI produces only ONE non-news show, Focus Montreal, because it's part of their licence, and it's being dumped to sunday at midnight just so nobody watches it... and I don't even know what the show is about.
    As for news, Global Montreal have regional offices in Quebec City and Sherbrooke, but so far, I've only seen news for Montreal. Yup, the bare minimum.

    TVViewer, weren't you the one complaining that CJNT was getting ZERO rating for ethnic shows in primetime, while being owned by Canwest ? Give it a rest, Canwest sold the station for 6$, and Channel Zero sold it for 10 million. You snooze, you lose.
    Wow, in my opinion adding a cheap weekly 30 minute lifestyle show and a cheap weekly 30 minute sports show to go along with a understaffed cheap 5 day a week morning show is not impressive and it certainly doesn't offset the fact that the other station is producing two separate evening and late night newscasts 7 days a week to go along with their morning show. Producing news is expensive and Global Montreal is certainly not doing the bare minimum, there is room for them to made additional cost cutting measures through layoffs and program cancellations while still meeting their licence requirements. I'm not saying they are making huge investements at the station but I do commend them for not doing as little as Rogers (only a morning show plus 2 low cost half hour weekly programs) despite the financial challenges of the station. .

    And FYI Focus Montreal airs Saturdays at 5:30PM as a lead-in to the Evening News. I'm not going to check since nobody cares but I don't think it's part of their licence anymore since the station went from Global Quebec to Global Montreal.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •