Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

International distribution of Canadian shows

Hi Folks,
    My wife and I are Aussies, who thanks to our local library, have recently found the Murdoch Mysteries. We both absolutely love this series, and can't get enough of it! The sad thing is that we seldom (if ever) get any Canadian TV shows on Australian television (only British and American, and some limited European shows, like Inspector Rex, on our multicultural TV channel). Surely you Canadians must have lots of terrific shows, like Murdoch Mysteries; but why aren't they marketed at Australian audiences?

Besides, if the CBC is having financial difficulties (as I've read in some of your posts), there's a huge potential audience here in Australia, just waiting to be tapped-into! We're all getting a bit tired of the constant repeats of Poirot & Midsomer Murders (although we do enjoy both of these shows). It's always good to see something different, and especially of the high standard of the Murdoch Mysteries.

We have many Canadians living in Australia, and likewise many Aussies (like my own Aunty) live in Canada; and we also have so much in common - so why can't we get your TV shows? I also wonder whether you get any of our (better) TV mini-series and dramas, like "A Place To Call Home", on your TV? I'm certain that many of you Canadians would really enjoy that show (Season 1 has recently finished here & it is now available on DVD).

If there is profit to be made, I am surprised that the CBS, CTV, Global and others have no program airing all over the world.

The Internet is the fastest way to watch foreign content. I watch/sample a lot of foreign content within days of it airing on the originating channels.

My favourite content (ranked in order of preference) generally comes from: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and France.

Netflix and Hulu will also carry foreign content that can be viewed all over the world (use a VPN, or DNS service if necessary), but since Australia doesn't have Netflix, and there are also annoying download caps that get in the way of viewing content, Australia's broadband situation isn't that favourable for streaming.

I've never been a fan of the Murdoch Mysteries, but it's still popular in Canada.

I could tell that A Place Called Home was well-made, but since the plot didn't interest me, I just watched a few episodes. The series has a lot of online fans and would indeed be enjoyed by many Canadians. I don't know if it's been shown on Canadian TV yet, but I'd be shocked if it was.

I like the Australian Underbelly series (but only the Squizzy and Badness runs) which I watch online.

Canada's Being Erica was sold to about 160 countries last time I checked, including Australia's ABC2.

Canada's Showcase channel airs/aired Australia's Sea Patrol tv series, and although it does nothing for me, it has many Canadian fans.

Canada's Super Channel also airs Australian content, but since Super Channel is a premium channel with low viewership, much of the Australian content goes unnoticed (they aired Tangle, etc.).

I enjoyed Australia's Rake, and it also aired in Canada.

I also enjoyed Australia's A Moody Christmas, Puberty Blues, Mr. & Mrs. Murder and Wentworth (I don't know if any of them aired on Canadian Tv).

I also tend to like anything with Aussie Rachel Griffiths (NBC's Camp series, starring Rachel, is filmed in Australia).

New Zealand's content tends to be worse than Australia's, and Canada's tends to be superior to Australia's, but there are many exceptions to the rule (that I just made up).

http://www.australiantelevision.net/about.html

[Australian content -- although some New Zealand content like The Almighty Johnsons is also included]

http://www.brw.com.au/p/business/lag...0eltJ4NN01079O
    [No Netflix in Australia]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-10-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: noticed that the Australian content link also includes some New Zealand content like The Almighty Johnsons
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Thanks for that, PokerFace; we were very interested in your comments (although it's obvious that we have slightly different tastes in movies, but that's good). Unlike my wife, I also enjoyed all the Underbelly series. Mr and Mrs Murder is tolerable, though a bit hard for us to watch because Mr Murder (Shaun Micallef) hosted a funny quiz show for many years ("Talking 'Bout Your Generation"), and then a humorous (silly) current-affairs-type show ("Mad As Hell"), so we can't take really him seriously. Curiously, he started out as a lawyer before becoming a comedian & actor.

We're not really into streaming movies, although perhaps we should be (& I'll have a look into this later) if it means we can see some great shows.

We do get some NZ TV shows, but to be brutally honest (sorry to our Kiwi mates) it is generally pretty crappy. They have followed us (and we've followed the US) with some of those dreadful reality shows, like police and immigration/customs shows, where people are arrested at airports, drug-busts, illegal immigrants, cop chases etc. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all (in my opinion anyway). Furthermore, they assume we are all idiots & repeat themselves over and over and over! If you removed all the duplication, you'd probably have about 10 minutes of TV show!!!

Sea Patrol is the poor cousin to the good, old Patrol Boat series. Also, being ex-Navy myself, I can't stand Sea Patrol because it bears almost no resemblance to the real Navy (unlike Patrol Boat). I'm sure that anyone in the RCN (Royal Canadian Navy) would be just as horrified! I hope they don't think that's what it's like in Australia, based on that show.

My wife quite enjoys the occasional episode of Rake, but doesn't like too much of it; and we've never heard of Tangle. I know too, that they often rename shows for international audiences, much like the way that the same car in a different country has a different name.

We've never heard of Being Erica, but we'll keep an eye out for that.

We do have Foxtel (satellite TV channels), but our household can't afford (nor justify) the extra expense; and besides, since we went all digital (with high definition TV) last year, we now have quite a few more free-to-air TV channels - although sadly, most of them just have those dreadful American, half-hour, ads for mops, hair-stylers, ladders and exercise machines!!! What idiot would actually sit and watch a half-hour ad for a mop, I wonder? (I sincerely hope no one on this forum would, anyway!!!!).

Avonregal, I totally agree with you, although I have no idea as to what's involved in international agreements, rights, etc. Perhaps it's much more complicated than I can imagine. But I can say for certain that the vast majority of Aussies would love Canadian shows (based on what I've seen & know). Our sense of humour is much more like the Canadian sense of humour, than the US humour (although we've come to know the US humour after nearly 50 years of watching American TV shows, along with their unbearable, canned laughter).

Finally, I'll just say that we are now introducing the Murdoch Mysteries to everyone we meet, including family and friends, who share our interest in such shows.

Cheers, AussieViewer.

Unfortunately, we don't get as much Aussie and even international content in general as I thnk we should. Sure we get some, but American content is what broadcasters here go for. Well, when it comes to the big corporations anyways. Just think BBC Canada... they appear to be airing less and less UK shows every season. They are now airing American shows and they appear to be airing more Canadian content then they even need too. Just look at their Summer primetime lineup, there is a hell of a lot of Canadian shows there, way more than it needs to be. And when something like a Showcase picks up an Aussie or Brit show, it's basically because they are required to in their licence, not because they see the value in it. There is so much content out there to tap into, and why these Canadian broadcasters don't see this as a gold mine, I don't know why. If you don't want to mess up your existing channels with the content, launch channels dedicated specifically for that foreign content, like BBC Canada, the CRTC will allow it. They've given licences for it before. And speaking to the Canadian content worldwide, I bet there is a lot fo it. Just think, there is a number of channels that actually air worldwide... Fight Network, Wild TV, WFN, The Star! brand exists in Europe even though the Canadian channel is now called E!, there is a number of channels in the Carribbean such as Treehouse, YTV, TSN, Family, CBC, etc. So, by default there, there is a bunch of Canadian content. But even besdies that, individual shows get picked up by other broadcasters, which is great to see.

@AussieViewer: Tangle aired in Australia (on your Showcase channel) under the same name, and although the plot doesn't interest me, it looked like a well-made series.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/04/...or-tangle.html
    [Oh, what a Tangle(d) web we weave]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangle_(TV_series)

----------------

"Tolerable" is a good way to describe Mr. & Mrs. Murder, but since it's Australian, I give it extra praise that it probably doesn't deserve. If it was Canadian, with Canadian actors, I'd probably watch the pilot episode and that's all. My mother tolerates it because I told her to try it. She also watched a few episodes of Rake and then told me that she'd had enough.

Being Erica is from Temple Street Productions and was/is broadcast on the CBC. It was also sold to Netflix Canada and is even currently being shown by our TeleLatino channel in Italian. The series gets better and worse as the 4 seasons progress, and it's certainly not for everybody.

Temple Street Productions is also partly responsible for the exciting Orphan Black TV series, and also produced one of my all-time comedy series favourites: Billable Hours (which also aired in Australia on ABC2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_Erica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Black

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billable_Hours
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-11-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: moved a link

There use to be a great deal more international shows shown on TVO but they must have changed their manadate recently. Wned is where I current get my fix of International shows.

And of course, YouTube is filled with foreign content that we either never get in Canada, or perhaps get many weeks, months or years later.

I just watched a brand new Australian TV series (from ABC- Australia's public broadcaster) called Upper Middle Bogan. It's also available on YouTube, but since that version is out of sync, it's best to watch it elsewhere.

I liked it right from the very beginning and although the secondary family is a bit too over-the-top to be believable, I will watch the remaining 7 episodes.

It's Australian, it's not great, but it's good enough to be considered British. Way to go, Australia!

I then tried two older Australian TV series on Hulu, but didn't like them enough to finish watching. One was Librarians (2007, also from ABC Australia), and the other one was Very Small Business (2008, also from ABC Australia). They would fit nicely on CBC over here, and I would gladly ignore them.

However, based on some of the newer and higher-quality Australian content that has popped up lately, it appears that I can no longer assume that Australians don't know what they're doing.

Put another shrimp/prawn on the barbie!

G'day.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonregal View Post
    There use to be a great deal more international shows shown on TVO but they must have changed their manadate recently.
    Cutbacks in funding changed their whole lineup. Its also why Saturday Night at the Movies was canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonregal View Post
    Wned is where I current get my fix of International shows.
    Not surprising, seeing that they cater to Southern Ontario audiences in terms of programming selection.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Upper Middle Bogan's third episode has made me a true fan of the series.

If I had all of the remaining 5 episodes, I would binge watch them all right now.

Australia's got a hit on its hands.

I assume that Hulu or Netflix will pick this series up if nobody else buys it.

Super Channel needs to scoop this up as well.

Upper Middle Bogan - Episode 3 trailer: