Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    113

    Anne Mroczkowski leaving Global

    from her twitter account: Global like all conventional media is under heavy economic pressure. Rob, we part with mutual high esteem intact

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    from her twitter account: Global like all conventional media is under heavy economic pressure. Rob, we part with mutual high esteem intact
    I thought she was really good, but must have been expensive. Wonder where she will end up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,443
    STATEMENT FROM GLOBAL NEWS:
    Global News Toronto has experienced a period of great growth and expansion over the past two years while boasting a long list of industry awards for the work we have done. It’s all been part of our continuing commitment to refocus the production and presentation of our news programming. We have made changes and additions to our editorial leadership team in the past few months and will are looking forward to welcoming a new weekend anchor and a reporter to the team in the coming weeks.


    We’re sorry to say, however, that some of these changes will directly affect a key member of our Global Toronto team. It’s been decided to change the News Hour to a single anchor program. So, after fulsome discussion and thoughtful consideration, Anne Mroczkowski and Global Toronto have mutually agreed to end our three year relationship.



    “I’ve greatly enjoyed my time working with the Global Toronto news team, and although I am leaving, I’m happy that we’ve parted ways on good terms,” she said. “I’m looking forward to what new opportunities await.”


    Anne has been an important part of the News Hour team since joining Global Toronto in 2010. We have all benefited from her experience in this market, her competitive spirit and her keen eye for “great TV news.” As a valued voice at the editorial table, Anne always held us to account. Whether she was mentoring junior staff or offering an unvarnished assessment of a given story, Anne called on each of us to be at our best for the sake of the show and, above all, our audience.


    Anne Mrozcowski is a tremendous broadcaster and journalist, and while she will no longer be co-anchoring the News Hour, we remain open to continuing our association with her in other ways at Global News and Shaw Media.


    We thank Anne and please join us in wishing her all the best.


    http://globalnews.ca/news/778173/cha...the-news-hour/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by reidster View Post
    I thought she was really good, but must have been expensive. Wonder where she will end up.

    she's becoming the Katie Couric of Canada. Maybe she'll get a talkshow next. lol. I wonder if City would take her back and go back to 2 anchors. Question is.. will she go?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    310
    If Global wanted to do a daytime program to compete with CityLine, Marily and Steven & Chris, she should surely be #1 on their list, but I doubt they would be willing to do that. Might we see her on a new Global Station? Maybe Global Ottawa (if that ever happens). I guess only time will tell. It seems pretty clear that Shaw wants to keep her in some capacity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    406
    I'm surprised to see her go but I also believe she was expensive as well. I had always believed Anne would never stay long term and it was clear from the start Global's decision to bring her on board was a snub at City. It got a lot of people talking. I hope she still remains on the airwaves but the question is where will she go and what will she do? It must be hard to be let go of 2 networks in 3 years. Clearly she doesn't come with baggage or controversy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,310
    My money is on her ending up on the CBC. They all seem to pass through the CBC (Radio/TV/News Network) at some point.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    406
    If this had happened a year earlier I would have easily seen her take the reigns at CTV Toronto.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,310
    Here is a post, dated August the 9th, on a sports news blog (of all places) dropping a hint of Global deciding not to renew her contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by torontosportsmedia.com
    Not sports related but I am hearing that Anne Mroczkowski’s contract isn’t going to be picked up by Global and that perhaps her summer vacation will be more permanent than originally planned. She is a definite presence in TO news and she will be missed.

    source
    At least they let her off kindly then what Rogers did to her; but begs the question, where does she go from here? City is out of the question, CTV is full and Global couldn't afford to keep her on. That's why I think she might end up at the CBC at some point, more likely anchoing the national news desk during the day on CBC NN or a local CBC Radio program; but in a extreme case, anchoring a morning or noon newscast.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 08-15-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    28
    Yeah, I wasn't going to respond to this thread but I have to throw my five cents in. I was disappointed to hear about Anne Mroczkowski being let go. But, in all honesty, I can't say I'm surprised. I very rarely watched Global News, but when I did, it appeared to me that Leslie Roberts tried to make it always about him, or he was hogging the airtime when Anne and Leslie were making conversation. I never could stand Leslie, but when they hired Anne, I gave it a chance (after getting over the shock of Anne leaving CityNews, as I grew up watching Gord Martineau and Anne way back when) but I just could not stomach Leslie anymore. That's also why I stopped watching the Morning Show, because Liza Fromer is the same way...always trying to make it about her and hogging the airtime and when Dave Gerry left the show, so did I (really, Dave Gerry and Daru Dhillon were the only reasons I even watched the Morning Show). I know Leslie Roberts and Liza Fromer are co-hosts on the national Morning Show, but I refuse to watch it. But, I can only imagine how that works out...as two attention whores co-hosting a half hour show. Sorry to hear about Anne Mroczkowski; I hope she won't be out of work for long and end up back on the air somewhere. I would love for CityNews to hire her back, but I know that won't happen

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    I know this thread is about Anne but I have a question about another Ann. Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't Ann Rohmer retire from CP24? I can remember CP24 doing a special show about her 25 years of service, and I think they said she was leaving the station?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Avonregal View Post
    I know this thread is about Anne but I have a question about another Ann. Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't Ann Rohmer retire from CP24? I can remember CP24 doing a special show about her 25 years of service, and I think they said she was leaving the station?
    she went back shortly after as she realized she was out to lunch leaving a high profile job to become a flight attendant at Porter.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't going to respond to this thread but I have to throw my five cents in. I was disappointed to hear about Anne Mroczkowski being let go. But, in all honesty, I can't say I'm surprised. I very rarely watched Global News, but when I did, it appeared to me that Leslie Roberts tried to make it always about him, or he was hogging the airtime when Anne and Leslie were making conversation. I never could stand Leslie, but when they hired Anne, I gave it a chance (after getting over the shock of Anne leaving CityNews, as I grew up watching Gord Martineau and Anne way back when) but I just could not stomach Leslie anymore. That's also why I stopped watching the Morning Show, because Liza Fromer is the same way...always trying to make it about her and hogging the airtime and when Dave Gerry left the show, so did I (really, Dave Gerry and Daru Dhillon were the only reasons I even watched the Morning Show). I know Leslie Roberts and Liza Fromer are co-hosts on the national Morning Show, but I refuse to watch it. But, I can only imagine how that works out...as two attention whores co-hosting a half hour show. Sorry to hear about Anne Mroczkowski; I hope she won't be out of work for long and end up back on the air somewhere. I would love for CityNews to hire her back, but I know that won't happen

    I could not disagree more. Leslie and Liza are two of the most popular personalities at the station and I think both are fantastic. The Morning Show has gained viewers since you stopped watching (it so was obvious that Dave was not the right fit for TMS once it started) and the News Hour wouldn't be this successful if more than a few people felt the same way you do. It is funny though how some people think anchors are responsible for their co-anchors departures. These are business decisions made by management, and it's not because their co anchors are "camera hog attention whores".
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-15-2013 at 10:36 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    My money is on her ending up on the CBC.
    I agree, CBC has made it pretty clear they have no problem using taxpayer money to pay for co-anchors and huge salaries at their low rated newscasts across the country

    Anne Mroczkowski deserves a high salary. The problem is the co-anchor format. Global Toronto was employing two high profile anchors for a single newscast which really only needs one. Every other Global station outside Alberta has a single anchor format for their evening newscast, while Global’s very profitable stations in Calgary and Edmonton have reasons to justify employing two high profile co-anchors, like the fact that they can use one to also anchor the Early News at 5:00PM (while Global Lethbridge uses one of their News Hour co-anchors to anchor News Final) Global Toronto was the only Global station to have co-anchors for the News Hour "just because". It's not like Shaw is against high salaries for high profile talent or against investing, Anne isn't the only personality at the station with a high salary, and they just increased spending at the station when they added Leslie to The Morning Show and hired a new anchor for News Hour Final. It's just unfortunate there wasn't a platform available for Anne besides co-anchoring a newscast which doesn't need a co-anchor. Hopefully she turns up somewhere else in the future, be it within Shaw Media or another broadcaster. At least she left on good terms.

    All the broadcasters seem to be moving away from a high salary co-anchor format (except for CBC of course). It just doesn't make much sense anymore from a business standpoint. CTV has stuck with co-anchors at most stations but if you look at the changes they have made it's obvious the new CTV co-anchors have a far lower salary than the senior anchors they replaced. Even CTV Toronto, which is by far the most successful local station in Toronto wasn’t willing to keep two high salary co-anchors.

    Personally, I don't understand the need for co-anchors. BCTV / Global BC has used the single anchor format for decades and the News Hour is one of the most successful newscasts in North America. It's not like Leslie has nobody to talk to throughout the newscast, he's joined by people in studio throughout the hour (Anthony Farnell, Susan Hay, Cheryl Hickey)

    That being said, I still think Global would have been crazy to not hire her 3 years ago. It brought a ton of positive buzz to the station and the CityNews brand was so damaged at that point it seemed like a perfect way to get those CityNews viewers.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-16-2013 at 06:03 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I agree, CBC has made it pretty clear they have no problem using taxpayer money to pay for co-anchors and huge salaries at their low rated newscasts across the country
    Look at it this way, if that money didn't end up at the CBC, it would have been used for some random Senator expense account.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    The problem is the co-anchor format. Global Toronto was employing two high profile anchors for a single newscast which really only needs one. Every other Global station outside Alberta has a single anchor format for their evening newscast, while Globalís very profitable stations in Calgary and Edmonton have reasons to justify employing two high profile co-anchors, like the fact that they can use one to also anchor the Early News at 5:00PM (while Global Lethbridge uses one of their News Hour co-anchors to anchor News Final) Global Toronto was the only Global station to have co-anchors for the News Hour "just because". It's not like Shaw is against high salaries for high profile talent or against investing, Anne isn't the only personality at the station with a high salary, and they just increased spending at the station when they added Leslie to The Morning Show and hired a new anchor for News Hour Final. It's just unfortunate there wasn't a platform available for Anne besides co-anchoring a newscast which doesn't need a co-anchor. Hopefully she turns up somewhere else in the future, be it within Shaw Media or another broadcaster. At least she left on good terms.


    Just because it works out west, doesn't mean it will work out here; as we seen with The Morning Show format is completely different than Global News Morning format which crashed and burned like the Hindenburg disaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    CTV has stuck with co-anchors at most stations but if you look at the changes they have made it's obvious the new CTV co-anchors have a far lower salary than the senior anchors they replaced. Even CTV Toronto, which is by far the most successful local station in Toronto wasnít willing to keep two high salary co-anchors.


    It's not uncommon in any business to let go the employee that been around long enough that have a bigger paycheque, and replace them with a younger and cheaper employee who can do the same job.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Personally, I don't understand the need for co-anchors. BCTV / Global BC has used the single anchor format for decades and the News Hour is one of the most successful newscasts in North America. It's not like Leslie has nobody to talk to throughout the newscast, he's joined by people in studio throughout the hour (Anthony Farnell, Susan Hay, Cheryl Hickey)
    The co-anchor format started to promote gender equality.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    That being said, I still think Global would have been crazy to not hire her 3 years ago. It brought a ton of positive buzz to the station and the CityNews brand was so damaged at that point it seemed like a perfect way to get those CityNews viewers.
    I was surprised too when they hired her, I remember hearing on a interview she did, just shortly after being layoff from City, that she worked for Global Toronto when it was a indy startup, but she didn't have too many fond memories of the place. Still, I think its CBC, teaching or both for what's next in her career.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

    like the fact that they can use one to also anchor the Early News at 5:00PM (while Global Lethbridge uses one of their News Hour co-anchors to anchor News Final) Global Toronto was the only Global station to have co-anchors for the News Hour "just because".

    Leslie Roberts is now also co-host of The Morning Show, which would fit in perfectly with your examples of the Global stations with 2 anchors. Moreover, Global "Toronto" also serves the entire province of Ontario (minus Thunder Bay). Much bigger target audience than CTV News Toronto has. Many people in the North and Ottawa will watch Global News from 530pm until 6pm when their local news starts. Again, furthering the idea that 2 hosts is justifiable.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,443
    [QUOTE=Mayhem;63652]


    Just because it works out west, doesn't mean it will work out here; as we seen with The Morning Show format is completely different than Global News Morning format which crashed and burned like the Hindenburg disaster.

    But it did work at Global Toronto. This is not the first time Leslie Roberts has anchored the News Hour solo. This is what makes co-anchors unnecessary, they can get the same ratings with just Leslie Roberts as they do with Leslie and a co-anchor.



    The co-anchor format started to promote gender equality.

    I know that, but we don't have that problem anymore. There are lots of female anchors across the country. The two most watched national newscasts are anchored by women.

    I was surprised too when they hired her, I remember hearing on a interview she did, just shortly after being layoff from City, that she worked for Global Toronto when it was a indy startup, but she didn't have too many fond memories of the place. Still, I think its CBC, teaching or both for what's next in her career.

    I wasn't surprised they hired her, as I said I think they would have been crazy to not hire her. The possibility of stealing CityNews viewers was too high for them to not give it a try.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,443
    [QUOTE=reidster;63660]

    Leslie Roberts is now also co-host of The Morning Show, which would fit in perfectly with your examples of the Global stations with 2 anchors.
    Global Edmonton & Global Calgary produce two highly rated evening newscasts (Early News & News Hour), unlike Global Toronto, both stations make money on local news and it is totally justifiable for profitable stations with 2 evening newscasts to have 2 high profile evening anchors. If these stations had a single anchor format for the News Hour they would still want to hire another high profile anchor for the Early News (which Global BC does). That's the benefit of operating a station producing lots of successful local newscasts, you have the money to hire more high profile personalities.

    That's not the same as Leslie co-hosting The Morning Show. They would want to have two high profile hosts for The Morning Show anyway. If Global Toronto produced the Early News and it was successful then it would also make sense for them to hire another high profile evening anchor for that newscast along with co-anchoring the News Hour, but they don't, they produce one evening newscast and the ratings prove that it only needs Leslie to be successful.


    Moreover, Global "Toronto" also serves the entire province of Ontario (minus Thunder Bay). Much bigger target audience than CTV News Toronto has. Many people in the North and Ottawa will watch Global News from 530pm until 6pm when their local news starts. Again, furthering the idea that 2 hosts is justifiable.
    I don't see how this makes co-anchors for a newscast which does fine with one justifiable. The reality is they don't make money on local news.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    310
    I wonder how expensive Liza Fromer is. Would have preferred they kept Anne over her.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    28
    I agree with you. Anne Mroczkowski is much more professional than Liza Fromer will ever be. If it's any consolation, I don't see Liza being at the Morning Show for too long. In the past twenty years, she has worked at YTV, Weather Network, as news anchor in Calgary, Discovery channel, Breakfast Television (in Toronto), Slice network, CFRB and now Global's Morning Show. The longest gig she had was six years at BT. She's like Canada's version of Keith Olbermann, can't stay working with the same employer for more than a few years

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •