Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: M3

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    315
    Here's another question...will Bell Media ever launch MTV Classics for Canada?!!! Another strong predictability although I'm not saying they would or will. They have MTV and MTV2 and in the U.S they revamped VH-1 Classics into MTV Classics.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Here's another question...will Bell Media ever launch MTV Classics for Canada?!!! Another strong predictability although I'm not saying they would or will. They have MTV and MTV2 and in the U.S they revamped VH-1 Classics into MTV Classics.
    If they planned to launch MTV Classics here in Canada, I believe that M3 would have been an ideal choice. They have been airing retro music videos, so that could have tied in with old MTV shows and minimal CanCon titles. MTV2 would be the next choice if they are looking to transform their channel into something with mainstream appeal - initially, it was targeted for younger viewers but nowadays, their audience is widespread across various platforms.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,138
    I could see them using MTV2 to rebrand as MTV Classic. It's probably cheap and they likely own a lot of the rights to the content anyways. I wouldn't expect them to use something like M3 though. It's to valuable with all its subscribers to use as a rerun classics channel. MTV2 would be a good suite for it. Will they actually do it, I doubt it, but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    If they planned to launch MTV Classics here in Canada, I believe that M3 would have been an ideal choice. They have been airing retro music videos, so that could have tied in with old MTV shows and minimal CanCon titles. MTV2 would be the next choice if they are looking to transform their channel into something with mainstream appeal - initially, it was targeted for younger viewers but nowadays, their audience is widespread across various platforms.
    M3 had to be turned around, but niche music videos to 5 million+ subscribers ain't the way to go.
    MTV 2 Canada, the one that used to be MTV under Craig, then Razer under CHUM, is a Cat 1 specialty. It's still valuable at the same level as Book and Fashion. BUT...

    1) After the sale of MuchVibe-Loud-Retro-Juicebox to Stingray, the remaining english-language Cat B Bell owns are Comedy Gold and Investigation Discovery. Eventho no effort whatsoever had been deployed to Comedy Gold in years, it wouln't make sense to replace classic sitcoms with classic music videos. So, we're back to MTV2 as the least valuable music-licenced specialty as a better choice.
    2) Above-mentionned sale of music video channels, does Bell really want to go back into the 24/7 music videos business ?

    Best case scenario, Bell sub-licences MTV Classics to Stingray, MuchRetro rebrands.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    I posted too soon and after reading the last couple of posts, it's fair to say that a channel like MTV Classics would be more suitable for at least 1 million subscribers, without being too mainstream or too niche, but enough to straddle the line between both. Whereas food and lifestyle would draw broader mainstream interest, hence it was logical for Bell to use M3 and its 5+ million subscribers.

    MTV Classic would not only play music videos, as per the below entry in Wikipedia:

    ...the channel's programming continues to focus on classic music videos and programming (including notable episodes of MTV Unplugged and Total Request Live), but skews more towards the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s. The re-branded network also airs encores of past MTV original series such as Beavis and Butt-head and Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County. The network's re-launch included a broadcast of MTV's first hour on the air, which was also simulcast on MTV and online via Facebook live streaming. Several VH1 Classic programs were retained in the existing schedule, albeit in late night.

    Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_...S._TV_network)

    If a similar version were to launch in Canada, the only difference would be CanCon - perhaps revisiting the vault of some original programming carried by MuchMusic (including Intimate & Interactive specials and such), along with the library of MTV shows going back to its launch. Music videos would make up a small percentage of the content and more emphasis would be placed on retro music programming and a variety of original scripted and reality shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    MTV 2 Canada, the one that used to be MTV under Craig, then Razer under CHUM, is a Cat 1 specialty. It's still valuable at the same level as Book and Fashion. BUT...

    1) After the sale of MuchVibe-Loud-Retro-Juicebox to Stingray, the remaining english-language Cat B Bell owns are Comedy Gold and Investigation Discovery. Eventho no effort whatsoever had been deployed to Comedy Gold in years, it wouln't make sense to replace classic sitcoms with classic music videos. So, we're back to MTV2 as the least valuable music-licenced specialty as a better choice.

    2) Above-mentionned sale of music video channels, does Bell really want to go back into the 24/7 music videos business ?

    Best case scenario, Bell sub-licences MTV Classics to Stingray, MuchRetro rebrands.
    Bell has a few other Category B channels including Animal Planet, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and ESPN Classic Canada (80% owned by Bell and 20% owned by ESPN Inc.). If you're referring strictly to the assets originally acquired from CHUM, then yes, Comedy Gold and Invetigation Discovery would be the remaining Cat B channels.

    It's safe to say that Bell has turned the page with owning 24/7 music video channels and are now focusing toward providing music on numerous platforms courtesy of iHeartRadio that they are licensing for Canada. Which is why they sold those channels in the first place.

    Last edited by lostjon; 08-24-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Clarified ownership details of Cat B channels

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Best guess, lineup for current Gusto will continue with predictible/pattern data until Bell-supplied lineup will replace the data. On sept 1st, Zap2It will only have to remove M3 on Bell/Eastlink/MTS/Optik, and replace M3 with Gusto for all other service providers.

    Bell Media's Advertising Sales website has fully taken down the page for M3.

    Starting Thursday, September 1 at 6:00am, the existing Gusto on the aforementioned providers will sign off. All providers carrying M3 will see the transition to Gusto (as owned by Bell) - this is now being confirmed on Zap2it. At some point, expect a change in channel placement across all providers.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    127
    I can't comment on other providers, but for Fibe TV I hope when M3 turns into Gusto-Bell(Sept 1) and the old Gusto-other owner(Sept 1), that where M3 is presently on the IPG that its eliminated and where the present Gusto is on the IPG the new one just contues on in its place. This way if you know where Gusto is on your IPG you don't need to look for it in another place. Gusto is presently on 619 on Fibe that's where the New one should end up not at 571 where M3 is presently mixed in with the music chanbnels?

    I looked a head for Sept 1 and both M3 and Gusto have the exact same line up on the IPG so either M3(571) will be dropped and trhe new Gusto will move to 619.
    It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.You should try it sometime. What?Don't frown.It just went down.Its fun being weird.You should try it sometime. The Detour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT-QOJG9qQ

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    122
    Don't be surprised if they keep both locations during the free preview so that it gets maximum exposure. Some people may sample the channel if they tune in 571 and find different programming from what they expect (ie old M3 programming). If they try to tune in 571 and its gone, they are unlikely to go searching for Gusto. Having it in two locations costs them nothing and may get them some channel sampling they wouldn't get otherwise.
    LOSat

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    Don't be surprised if they keep both locations during the free preview so that it gets maximum exposure. Some people may sample the channel if they tune in 571 and find different programming from what they expect (ie old M3 programming). If they try to tune in 571 and its gone, they are unlikely to go searching for Gusto. Having it in two locations costs them nothing and may get them some channel sampling they wouldn't get otherwise.
    Confirmed...according to wikilinks.org Gusto will replace M3

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    Well, there you have it. There was a time in Canada when we had a number of music video channels. Fast forward to September 2016, and in some ways, it's gone full circle especially if we are referring to the original brands, namely MuchMusic, which launched back in 1984 and MusiquePlus which followed in 1986.

    At the beginning of the year, we had Much (MuchMusic), M3 (MuchMoreMusic), MuchRetro, MuchLoud, MuchVibe and Juicebox. All launched under CHUM Media, which was subsequently bought by CTVglobemedia (which then became Bell Media).

    Since then, the latter three have been sold from Bell Media to Stingray Digital. MuchRetro remains a property of Bell for now, but once the transaction closes, that will go to Stingray as well.
    M3 is changing genres and converting to a food and lifestyle channel, courtesy of the Gusto brand, whose rights are being acquired by Bell Media for the Canadian market.
    Which leaves Much - they continue to play music videos, primarily in the mornings and early afternoons. They also have a block daily in the early primetime hours from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. And starting on Tuesday, September 6, a new 2-hour retro video block titled Much Retro Lunch will air weekdays 1:00pm to 3:00pm.

    Likewise with MusiquePlus and MusiMax which also were original properties of CHUM, before they were acquired by Astral and then upon the Bell takeover, divested to their current owners, Groupe V Media (owners of Quebec-based V television network), a subsidiary of independently-owned Remstar.

    MusiquePlus will continue to remain on the air in the same terms as Much (their videos will be strictly in the overnights and early mornings). MusiMax on the other hand is changing to MAX, which will be airing movies and TV series to compete with the likes of addikTV and Series+ (the French equivalent of channels like Bravo and Showcase). One music channel is enough for the Quebec market.

    Last but not least, there's CMT and AUX, although the former has more subscribers and like Much, plays music videos primarily during the daytime and carries non-music related shows through the evenings and overnights. AUX is a little over the place, with music video blocks that are not continuous and basically anchored by music-related programs as well as non-music selections.

    Other music channels have come and gone in recent years, such as bpm:tv for EDM (Stornoway), Cool TV for jazz (Canwest) and EdgeTV for alternative/modern rock (Corus).

    With their wider accessibility nowadays, watching music videos on TV for the most part has become obsolete. This was enough for Bell Media to cut back on the Much brand - somehow, they had to preserve it by keeping all the music on the original channel that launched back in 1984.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    127
    I'm not sure what will happen come DEC 2016? But it will be interesting to see what the TV land scape will be like come DEC 2017? What channels will survive the P & P? I suspect that at least 1 or 2 channels will either be dropped by Bell or shut down or perhaps be rebranded? As to which 3 scenarios will actually occur that I can't answer?
    It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.You should try it sometime. What?Don't frown.It just went down.Its fun being weird.You should try it sometime. The Detour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT-QOJG9qQ

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    918
    Does anyone know if Gusto will be operated with M3's license? The license conditions for category A channels aren't going to be lifted until next year which means that M3's license is still technically required to play music videos. Are they possibly doing what Corus did with the Disney Channel and launching using a category B exempt license and later apply for a full license? When Disney Channel launched, it essentially took the space previously occupied by Cartoon Network and Cartoon Network's category B license was shuttered. The brand Cartoon Network then moved to the license that was used for Teletoon Retro.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    Don't be surprised if they keep both locations during the free preview so that it gets maximum exposure. Some people may sample the channel if they tune in 571 and find different programming from what they expect (ie old M3 programming). If they try to tune in 571 and its gone, they are unlikely to go searching for Gusto. Having it in two locations costs them nothing and may get them some channel sampling they wouldn't get otherwise.
    Indeed, you called it. Advanced listings on both my Bell Fibe EPG and Zap2it are showing the same schedule on both channel positions that are currently occupied by M3 (571 in SD / 1571 in HD) and the existing Gusto (619 in SD / 1619 in HD). This makes sense to ensure maximum sampling of this channel, though from early glances at the fall schedule, existing subscribers will feel there's a lot more to be desired while the rest will get a first look.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Does anyone know if Gusto will be operated with M3's license? The license conditions for category A channels aren't going to be lifted until next year which means that M3's license is still technically required to play music videos. Are they possibly doing what Corus did with the Disney Channel and launching using a category B exempt license and later apply for a full license? When Disney Channel launched, it essentially took the space previously occupied by Cartoon Network and Cartoon Network's category B license was shuttered. The brand Cartoon Network then moved to the license that was used for Teletoon Retro.
    Though I can't say for sure, I think this partly explains why the Bell-owned Gusto channel will be getting dual channel placement on providers already carrying the service until further notice. In addition to the current channel positions that Gusto currently occupies as an independently-owned Category B service, it can operate temporarily with the M3 license as a Category A service until sometime next year, the latter of which will account for providers carrying M3 but not Gusto. It's possible that they are trying to take a page from what Corus did last year with The Disney Channel.

    In terms of how they plan to fulfill the license conditions which require them to play music videos - not sure, though it will be interesting to see what might be done to either follow or work around such conditions. One possibility would be to scale back on the duration of commercial breaks, so programs finish earlier and there's a small window in between two programs where they can insert a music video - even one that does not need to air in its entirety.

    However, look at MusiMax, another music video channel that's changing specialties and rebranding to MAX, which will be airing more TV series and movies. For the time being, they will continue airing music videos Monday to Friday from 3:00am to 7:00am and weekends from 3:00am to 8:00am, and that's only to make sure that they are following their existing Category A license conditions. With the M3 license, Gusto should do something similar by running videos during late overnight hours in place of repeats until the license conditions for Category A channels run out next year.
    Last edited by lostjon; 08-27-2016 at 10:52 AM.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    Does anyone know if Gusto will be operated with M3's license? The license conditions for category A channels aren't going to be lifted until next year which means that M3's license is still technically required to play music videos. Are they possibly doing what Corus did with the Disney Channel and launching using a category B exempt license and later apply for a full license? When Disney Channel launched, it essentially took the space previously occupied by Cartoon Network and Cartoon Network's category B license was shuttered. The brand Cartoon Network then moved to the license that was used for Teletoon Retro.
    I think they will for sure be using the M3 licence. They want to launch in all of the homes currently carrying M3, well, analog cable still exists and M3 is carried on some systems. If they were to shut down the M3 licence and launch M3 as an exempt service, that would cut into the number of subscribers because exempt/cat B services are not allowed to be distributed on analog, at least not the large systems. Airing music videos from 3am to 7am is likely what they'll do and if they need to air more, stick it in less watchable hours (they took down the schedule from the website, so it looks like maybe they had to re-gig it because they need to air music videos in somewhere), if they even decide to obey their licence requirements and air music videos at all. What's the CRTC gonna do at this point? At licence renewal time, they'll give them a finger-wagging, set a shorter term for the channel's renewal, and call it a day. And by the next time the licence is up for renewal, changes would have been made and Gusto would be in compliance already.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I think they will for sure be using the M3 licence. They want to launch in all of the homes currently carrying M3, well, analog cable still exists and M3 is carried on some systems. If they were to shut down the M3 licence and launch M3 as an exempt service, that would cut into the number of subscribers because exempt/cat B services are not allowed to be distributed on analog, at least not the large systems. Airing music videos from 3am to 7am is likely what they'll do and if they need to air more, stick it in less watchable hours (they took down the schedule from the website, so it looks like maybe they had to re-gig it because they need to air music videos in somewhere), if they even decide to obey their licence requirements and air music videos at all. What's the CRTC gonna do at this point? At licence renewal time, they'll give them a finger-wagging, set a shorter term for the channel's renewal, and call it a day. And by the next time the licence is up for renewal, changes would have been made and Gusto would be in compliance already.
    6:00am This Morning they made the flip. Mike and Molly closed off M3 and The Marilyn Dennis Show kicked off Gusto.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    918
    I can't see how Gusto is going to be better than M3. Seems like a lot of recycled content for a specialty channel. I can't see this competing well against HGTV, Food, Slice, DYI etc.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I can't see how Gusto is going to be better than M3. Seems like a lot of recycled content for a specialty channel. I can't see this competing well against HGTV, Food, Slice, DYI etc.
    Bell Media wanted a piece of the food and lifestyle genre, so they did that by obtaining the rights to Gusto for the Canadian market, all while Gusto is in the process of expanding beyond Canada. In terms of recycled content, you could say the same for many other specialty channels, even looking at Bell Media's popular ones (Bravo, Space, E!). Hopefully over time, they will introduce more original productions and acquired programs / exclusives that have not already aired on other Canadian specialty channels. Perhaps this will be more of a factor once the restrictions for Category A channels are lifted next year.

    Looking at their schedule so far, it could certainly use a makeover. One redeeming quality is that it carries a variety of shows produced in markets outside of North America (like the UK, Australia and New Zealand) and unlike Food Network lately, less reality competition shows (aside from MasterChef and My Kitchen Rules).

    I notice that plenty of the Canadian shows currently airing on the channel are considerably out-of-date, but then again they were produced by the same guy who was instrumental in launching Gusto few years ago - Chris Knight (Knight Enterprises). Those shows aired previously on Food Network Canada. However, Gusto has also launched a few new Canadian original shows in the last year, so hopefully they can continue doing that to keep things original.

    Anyways, we'll wait and give it a few months. At the end of the day, it was better for them to add Gusto using an existing service rather than start from scratch, as they added more providers in the process.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post


    Bell Media wanted a piece of the food and lifestyle genre, so they did that by obtaining the rights to Gusto for the Canadian market, all while Gusto is in the process of expanding beyond Canada. In terms of recycled content, you could say the same for many other specialty channels, even looking at Bell Media's popular ones (Bravo, Space, E!). Hopefully over time, they will introduce more original productions and acquired programs / exclusives that have not already aired on other Canadian specialty channels. Perhaps this will be more of a factor once the restrictions for Category A channels are lifted next year.

    Looking at their schedule so far, it could certainly use a makeover. One redeeming quality is that it carries a variety of shows produced in markets outside of North America (like the UK, Australia and New Zealand) and unlike Food Network lately, less reality competition shows (aside from MasterChef and My Kitchen Rules).

    I notice that plenty of the Canadian shows currently airing on the channel are considerably out-of-date, but then again they were produced by the same guy who was instrumental in launching Gusto few years ago - Chris Knight (Knight Enterprises). Those shows aired previously on Food Network Canada. However, Gusto has also launched a few new Canadian original shows in the last year, so hopefully they can continue doing that to keep things original.

    Anyways, we'll wait and give it a few months. At the end of the day, it was better for them to add Gusto using an existing service rather than start from scratch, as they added more providers in the process.
    I'll probably won't watch much of Gusto. I'd rather watch the cooking shows on PBS then the Food Network myself. Hope this'll be for the best for them as I say. I never was one for M3 either. I just wonder now if they will ever make changes to both Fashion Tv and Book television next or what. They already sold the MUCH offshoot Channels to stingray, all of whom now fall under Stingray loud, StingRay Retro, Stingray Vibe and Stingray Juicebox. What next?!!!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    127
    )At least Bell was smart and left Gusto at 619 (Bell Fibe)where it should go not at 571(Bell Fibe)
    Now I'm Happy :)
    It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.It's fun being weird.You should try it sometime. What?Don't frown.It just went down.Its fun being weird.You should try it sometime. The Detour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT-QOJG9qQ

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,461
    It's getting harder and harder to fool the masses with rebrands and supposed "fresh" content, but as long as Bell and the Gang control the Internet, it's easier to keep the masses clinging to cable/satellite ... because if you don't stay hooked up, you might be told that your Internet bill will actually increase. Thus, it seems wiser to keep the cable/satellite hooked up, even if you don't use it as often as the Internet (even more common in the US to stay with cable/satellite just to watch online content on History, AMC, or whatever).

    However, it's a good thing that the masses are still playing along, otherwise the buffering and credential authentication for online websites would just get worse ... at least until the final transition to the Internet has moved further along.

    “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

    Disclaimer: Yes, I make the same complaint over and over again. I've become an annoying advert that needs to be skipped past ... but some of you have lost your remote control, so the torment and bullying continues.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •