Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I skimmed through the third episode of NBC's Believe (the webrip is leaked early) that will air this Sunday, and still find it hard to "believe" that this is an American production. It looks and behaves like a low-budget, poorly-structured series that belongs on Showcase (even though Showcase is filled with quality Canadian content that is light-years better than Believe) as a CanCon mercy airing.

The third episode was so similar to the second episode that I almost couldn't tell the difference. It went nowhere, fast. There's a lot of running, special effects that seem outdated, and many blank stares from the cast.

It's a train wreck that I can't seem to ignore. I feel the need to see if this series will ever improve, and so I will continue to skim through it until it's cancelled. It still doesn't belong on my Watch List, but it's now #1 on my Skim-Through List.

Do you "believe" in miracles? I don't.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

68. Inside Amy Schumer (Season 2)(Comedy Network, Comedy Central)

I don't know where Person of Interest is on your list but since they killed Detective Carter the show is not the same - it seems to have gone down hill. I am not sure in what direction the show is going and for how long this current story line will last. It seems that they are recreating the show just like "The Mentalist"? Will keeping the machine safe be the only major storyline? If it is, I would find it extremely boring. I am hoping that next season the show will have a different focus now that they solved the HR issue.
    Last edited by Avonregal; 04-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.

I only started to download Person of Interest episodes when Sara Shahi appeared on the series. I'll eventually watch anything she's in, but still haven't had time to watch any of her Person Of Interest episodes.

The 100 (The CW) is beginning to bore me, and now appears to one of those shows (like Believe) that I prefer to FF-skip-through to save time.

I assume that it will be cancelled and although it has some bearable viewing moments, I feel like I'm wasting my time watching it (even though I'm not ready to abandon ship just yet).

First Dates (UK) ended its second season, so now I'm down to 67 titles on my list.

I don't need to replace it with anything at the moment, as I am still having trouble keeping up with those 67 titles (and the other casual content I skim through or watch).

If I only watched the content on my Watch List, the list wouldn't keep growing.

I started this list in November, and after about 4.5 months, I still haven't watched any new episodes of Bron (S2), which is #1 on my Watch List. That's probably because I have the episodes stored on a USB and tend to focus my binge viewing on the content that is stored on my computer (to clear more space).

68. Sirens (USA Network, Comedy Network)

I liked the latest episode (#6) the best. Lenny Clarke caused one actress to cover her mouth to hide her laughing, but I saw it as she turned around. In a later scene with Lenny, she almost lost it again, but I could tell she was really concentrating on holding a more serious face to keep from laughing. It's not that what Lenny was saying was that funny, but he kept going on and on with clever quips that seemed to never end. I would have laughed out loud and ruined all the takes if I was in those scenes with Lenny.

Some of the earlier Sirens episodes dragged in parts (some FF scans were necessary), but I assume things will only get better as more of the many different characters are fleshed out.

It's got potential, but they might need a second season to really hit their stride.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    I skimmed through the third episode of NBC's Believe (the webrip is leaked early) that will air this Sunday
    Catching up on the series... it looks like "Touch", the Jack Bauer series that aired 2 years ago : a special needs 10 years old kid, dead mother, whose actions will have consequences on guests-of-the-week while putting themselves in danger every week until these episodic fades away for the biggest plot-line as you reach the season finale. Along the way, they find other kids and adults with similar abilities held in a facility with wrong intentions... Déjà Vu.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 04-04-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

69. The Trip To Italy (BBC Two) (6 episodes - considered to be Season 2)

The first episode of this followup series, rehashes some of the fan favourites from the first series, The Trip (also edited into a movie of the same name using the series footage from the 6 episodes of the debut season), with a few different spins and entirely fresh material as well (like Bane and Batman ... WTF are they saying?).

The Italian scenery looks marvelous, the food quite tempting, and stars Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon still manage to keep things moving along without letting the obvious scripting get in the way of spontaneous-looking fun.

Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway and The Voice UK have both finished their current runs (leaving me with 67 things on my list).

I will replace them with:

68. Silicon Valley (HBO)

This series has a somewhat interesting Pilot episode that finds its stride towards the end. It required some FFwrding, but I can tell it has enough substance within, to keep me watching more intently as the series progresses. This is the same opinion shared by many of the reviewers who have been lucky enough to have already seen the first 5 episodes (apparently the pilot episode is the weakest one).

69. The Crimson Field (BBC) (6 episodes)

Just enough quality to hold my interest, so I'm hoping that this series doesn't get too predictable or repetitive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-1-review.html
    [Episode 1 Review ... Warning: Contains spoilers]

70. The Call Centre (Season 2) (BBC Three)

It's basically what would happen if Mike Bullard ran a call centre selling crap to the masses.

BBC Three announcer at the Call Centre:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...one-calls.html
    [£225,000 fine for TV show call centre after it harassed householders with thousands of nuisance phone calls]

The first season of Love Child (AU) has concluded, so I'll replace it with:

Working The Engels (Global + later on NBC)

Not sure what this series is doing on a Watch List that is supposed to be shrinking rather than growing, but I think that Kacey Rohl (plays the lawyer, daughter of Andrea Martin's character) is a rising talent, and Andrea Martin does just enough to keep things moving along at a pleasant enough pace.

71. Shark Tank (ABC, CTV2)

I've been watching since it first came out, got tired of it, but lately I found myself even watching the live OTA broadcasts, so it's time to add it to my Watch List ... even though there might be a few products that bore me enough to FF past.

72. The Graham Norton Show (BBC, BBC Canada, YouTube, BBC America)

I've also been watching this show for years, but I would often skip certain episodes if the guests didn't interest me. It also didn't help that BBC Canada was (and still seems to be) far behind (perhaps more than a month?) the BBC broadcasts, making the episodes appear stale at times. BBC America, on the other hand, is only a week behind the BBC broadcasts. It would be great if BBC Canada was replaced with BBC America, but since Shaw is determined to ruin the BBC experience here in Canada, at least the Internet helps to soften the blow.

I watched yesterday's episode (from the current, 15th season) shortly after it aired on the BBC website, using the BBC PVR feature (didn't want to wait for the iPlayer or illegal stream/file to be uploaded to the net), and realized that I would definitely miss the show if it was cancelled.

Fans of the show tend to upload the new episodes to YouTube within 24 hours of the initial airing, but some of the uploads will delete the clips and things that would otherwise get the uploads removed from YouTube. Still, there are other uploads that contain the entire episode, but in order to fool the YouTube search-and-destroy bot, the video image is shrunk to look like a TV set. By watching the edited full-screen version and then switching to the Complete shrunken-picture version, the entire episode can be watched on YouTube (if for some reason that was all you could access).
    Last edited by PokerFace; 11-12-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: removed the now dead, YouTube links

Four Rooms (Canada), Dragons' Den (Canada) and Marketplace (all from CBC) have finished, so I will replace them with:

70. Friends With Better Lives (CBS, City)

I don't watch that many sitcoms, but I'll give this one a chance to hook me (I've seen the first two episodes).

and

71. Breaking Magic (Season 2, 15 episodes - until end of April 2014) (Discovery Channel UK, then comes later to North America)

Magician Ben Hanlin returns with the other regulars to perform feats of "magic" often based on science. The tricks are then later explained.

72. Fargo (FXX)

Seems like it should be able to maintain my interest, based on the high-quality pilot episode.

Filmed in and around Calgary, Alberta.

When I was much younger and there were fewer channels and media options to choose from, I was starved for content. But nowadays, I have too many options and far too much content to choose from.

I can stream live TV channels (and access Video On Demand content) from all over the world (many channels only in Standard def, but since it's all free, I can't really complain) without a cable subscription, or any CRTC interference.

It's a good thing that I no longer play new video games (PS2 was my last gaming system), or I'd have even less time to catch up.

Eventually, no matter how good a series is, I will eventually be ready to sample another series and then another one ... and so on and so on. I love fresh content and my curiosity often compels me to abandon premium content for less compelling, but initially more interesting fresh content (new situations, characters, actors, etc). That's why I have so many stored episodes that go unwatched for months or years.

I'm now going to have to force myself to ignore some of the content on my Watch List and trim the fat even more.

Basically, I have to now start ignoring content that I know I will like and instead start cancelling TV shows, even before they are actually cancelled.

When I first started this thread, I was even more amazed by what the Internet offered. However, now that I've sampled content from all over the world, I'm beginning to see everything as one giant system that I control (thanks to the brilliant minds providing all the loopholes and Internet trickery).

What can't I watch? I'm not sure, but I don't really have time to find out, anyway.

Since all of this free content has no end in sight, I have to now become my own version of the CRTC and also pretend that some of the content I like, can no longer be watched. Sorry, PokerFace, but you can't watch the next episode of Breaking Magic ... due to the fact that you're a moron! Off the Watch List it comes!

This just in ... while watching TSN online (for the World Poker Tour), I just noticed that Michelle Beadle has recently returned to ESPN's Sports Nation (which also airs on TSN).

So, regardless of how hard I try to reduce what I watch, I keep stumbling across other content that keeps me interested for a day or more.

I'm going to try to keep things fresh and interesting, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep my Internet habit going before my eyes start bleeding.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 04-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

The Crimson Field drags a bit too much, and since I FF-skip through most of the episodes, off the list it comes (only one episode left).

And to replace Breaking Magic ...

71. The Voice Australia (Season 3)

Kylie and Will.i.am move from the UK version to join the Aussies.

Step Dave, Sirens and The Trip to Italy have finished, so time to add:

69. Maron (Season 2) (IFC, TMN)

70. Playing House (The USA Network) (from the stars and creators of Best Friends Forever on NBC in 2012)

So far, after watching the first three episodes of Playing House, the 2nd episode entitled "Bird Bones" is clearly the best of the bunch.
    The next episode (episode 4) is also written by the writer of the 2nd episode, so hopefully it will also be very good.

EDIT: http://worldscreen.com/tvcanada/play...omi-in-canada/

The first two seasons of the comedy series Playing House, from Universal Cable Productions, are premiering this month on shomi in Canada.

Playing House is headed to the Canadian streaming service on April 22, 2016.

The series was created by real-life best friends Jessica St. Clair (Bridesmaids) and Lennon Parham (Parks and Recreation), who both star in the show. Airing on USA Network in the U.S., Playing House centers on childhood best friends Maggie Caruso (Parham) and Emma Crawford (St. Clair).
    Last edited by PokerFace; 04-18-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: see EDIT added the link

Shark Tank is finished, so I'll replace it with Rookie Blue (Season 5) (Global).

71. The Carbonaro Effect (TruTv) (Action - Canada, later on)

Another illusionist show designed to fool unsuspecting patsies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/ar...-on-trutv.html
    [The Carbonaro Effect]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-30-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added Action as a channel