Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

City's New Year's Eve bash cancelled?

Heard a rumour that Rogers has axed this years broadcast. Can anyone confirm?

I highly doubt it, City's New Year Bash always has a high viewership, but its still too early to promote the event, seeing we're not even in December yet.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 11-17-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I highly doubt it, City's New Year Bash always has a high viewership

But it's cheaper to not produce a New Years Eve special and just air regular programming. Rogers has clearly been trying to cut costs at the network to reduce the losses (Shutting down CityNews Channel, buying no new summer programming, buying no new fall shows coveted by other networks, OLN simulcasts, major programming executive changes, etc.) and eliminating City's New Years Eve Bash fits right in with that.

Global however is confirmed to be going forward with their New Years Eve special.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    But it's cheaper to not produce a New Years Eve special and just air regular programming.

From what I've been reading around, Rogers seems to be weighing its options and finding an different location this year because of the Rob Ford scandal. Since having New Years Eve Bash at Nathan Phillips Square is officially city property, the mayor would have to be formally invited.

Rogers has clearly been trying to cut costs at the network to reduce the losses (Shutting down CityNews Channel, buying no new summer programming, buying no new fall shows coveted by other networks, OLN simulcasts, major programming executive changes, etc.) and eliminating City's New Years Eve Bash fits right in with that.

No new fall shows? They bought a whole whack of new shows for the fall season.

Besides, maybe their planning to sell off the Rogers Media division?.

Global however is confirmed to be going forward with their New Years Eve special.

You couldn't help yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    They did. But taking a closer look from last year, for example, they jumped on 666 Park Avenue as a companion for Revenge, and they've been handed down first run Mike & Molly from CTV2 for scheduling logic.

This season, they've been handed down the CMA Awards and Nashville, they said they wanted to take the comedy turn so Person of Interest (which was the only network show making the BBM Top 30) went to CTV stating "too violent"... and since Lucky 7 was cancelled, City have nothing to air on tuesday 10pm where POI is airing on CTV ! And they're keeping Revolution and Hannibal on schedule, which are much more violent than POI. Package Deal was supposed to air last spring, then summer, then fall... They have low-interest reality show Meet the Family and OLN shows as cancon fillers... come october, a disappearing act happened for Carrie Diaries and Last Man Standing. Looks like cost-cutting went into effect.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve looks to be on the schedule of all City markets.

[QUOTE=Mayhem;64541]

From what I've been reading around, Rogers seems to be weighing its options and finding an different location this year because of the Rob Ford scandal. Since having New Years Eve Bash at Nathan Phillips Square is officially city property, the mayor would have to be formally invited.

Then you are reading mis-information. These things are planned and decisions are made months in advance, long before Rob Ford did anything. He has absolutely nothing to do with this cost-cutting decision.

I said they didn't pick up any new fall shows coveted by other networks. All the new shows they picked up were shows that CTV and Global either didn't want or didn't have room to air. If you take a look at their programming decisions it is pretty obvious what they are doing.

Besides, maybe their planning to sell off the Rogers Media division?.
    I doubt it as they want the content and when you include the specialty channels (okay, Sportsnet) Rogers' overall TV division does turn a small profit. But they are clearly not okay with their conventional network losing a significant amount of money and have decided to cut down on the programming costs at City to improve the financial performance of the network, and this includes eliminating the New Years bash.

Then you are reading mis-information. These things are planned and decisions are made months in advance, long before Rob Ford did anything. He has absolutely nothing to do with this cost-cutting decision.
    True; but a train wreck like Rob Ford I would have a mad rush to find a new location, or even cancel the whole event to avoid that man. Still I did some checking, The City of Calgary event page has City New Year's Bash listed for December 31st 2013 and January 1st 2014. Maybe there just not promoting it yet? It's still November after all.

Anyone know what the plan is this year?

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    Anyone know what the plan is this year?

In City's holiday programming highlights press release, they confirmed that they will once again be simulcasting ABC instead of producing their own New Years eve special.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.