Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

City's New Year's Eve bash cancelled?

Heard a rumour that Rogers has axed this years broadcast. Can anyone confirm?

I highly doubt it, City's New Year Bash always has a high viewership, but its still too early to promote the event, seeing we're not even in December yet.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 11-17-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I highly doubt it, City's New Year Bash always has a high viewership

But it's cheaper to not produce a New Years Eve special and just air regular programming. Rogers has clearly been trying to cut costs at the network to reduce the losses (Shutting down CityNews Channel, buying no new summer programming, buying no new fall shows coveted by other networks, OLN simulcasts, major programming executive changes, etc.) and eliminating City's New Years Eve Bash fits right in with that.

Global however is confirmed to be going forward with their New Years Eve special.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    But it's cheaper to not produce a New Years Eve special and just air regular programming.

From what I've been reading around, Rogers seems to be weighing its options and finding an different location this year because of the Rob Ford scandal. Since having New Years Eve Bash at Nathan Phillips Square is officially city property, the mayor would have to be formally invited.

Rogers has clearly been trying to cut costs at the network to reduce the losses (Shutting down CityNews Channel, buying no new summer programming, buying no new fall shows coveted by other networks, OLN simulcasts, major programming executive changes, etc.) and eliminating City's New Years Eve Bash fits right in with that.

No new fall shows? They bought a whole whack of new shows for the fall season.

Besides, maybe their planning to sell off the Rogers Media division?.

Global however is confirmed to be going forward with their New Years Eve special.

You couldn't help yourself?

They did. But taking a closer look from last year, for example, they jumped on 666 Park Avenue as a companion for Revenge, and they've been handed down first run Mike & Molly from CTV2 for scheduling logic.

This season, they've been handed down the CMA Awards and Nashville, they said they wanted to take the comedy turn so Person of Interest (which was the only network show making the BBM Top 30) went to CTV stating "too violent"... and since Lucky 7 was cancelled, City have nothing to air on tuesday 10pm where POI is airing on CTV ! And they're keeping Revolution and Hannibal on schedule, which are much more violent than POI. Package Deal was supposed to air last spring, then summer, then fall... They have low-interest reality show Meet the Family and OLN shows as cancon fillers... come october, a disappearing act happened for Carrie Diaries and Last Man Standing. Looks like cost-cutting went into effect.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve looks to be on the schedule of all City markets.

[QUOTE=Mayhem;64541]

From what I've been reading around, Rogers seems to be weighing its options and finding an different location this year because of the Rob Ford scandal. Since having New Years Eve Bash at Nathan Phillips Square is officially city property, the mayor would have to be formally invited.

Then you are reading mis-information. These things are planned and decisions are made months in advance, long before Rob Ford did anything. He has absolutely nothing to do with this cost-cutting decision.

I said they didn't pick up any new fall shows coveted by other networks. All the new shows they picked up were shows that CTV and Global either didn't want or didn't have room to air. If you take a look at their programming decisions it is pretty obvious what they are doing.

Besides, maybe their planning to sell off the Rogers Media division?.
    I doubt it as they want the content and when you include the specialty channels (okay, Sportsnet) Rogers' overall TV division does turn a small profit. But they are clearly not okay with their conventional network losing a significant amount of money and have decided to cut down on the programming costs at City to improve the financial performance of the network, and this includes eliminating the New Years bash.

Then you are reading mis-information. These things are planned and decisions are made months in advance, long before Rob Ford did anything. He has absolutely nothing to do with this cost-cutting decision.
    True; but a train wreck like Rob Ford I would have a mad rush to find a new location, or even cancel the whole event to avoid that man. Still I did some checking, The City of Calgary event page has City New Year's Bash listed for December 31st 2013 and January 1st 2014. Maybe there just not promoting it yet? It's still November after all.

True; but a train wreck like Rob Ford I would have a mad rush to find a new location, or even cancel the whole event to avoid that man. Still I did some checking, The City of Calgary event page has City New Year's Bash listed for December 31st 2013 and January 1st 2014. Maybe there just not promoting it yet? It's still November after all.
    I doubt he would even want to attend, but they would probably be thrilled to have him as it would be good for buzz and ratings.

As for the Calgary event page, it's wrong. City's New Years Bash has been cancelled as part of Rogers overall cost-cutting at the network.

I doubt he would even want to attend,

Looks like he's going everywhere lately in public. CFL and NFL game at the rogers center.

but they would probably be thrilled to have him as it would be good for buzz and ratings.

Only because people mistaken him for Chris Farley

But seriously, having an controversial person like Rob Ford appear in public on one of the few days of the year where the majority of the population is drunk may not be a good thing.

As for the Calgary event page, it's wrong.

It seems pretty right to me; of course going by your previous logic if it took months to plan, but was cancelled or never planed beforehand then Calgary.ca webmaster wouldn't have added it at all.

City's New Years Bash has been cancelled as part of Rogers overall cost-cutting at the network.
    Whatever, your too set in your ways on this issue. But answer me this, why in hell would Global have their new years celebrations in Niagara Falls? There are so many other places better they could have setup. Parliament Hill in Ottawa would have been perfect, the clock tower in the background ringing on midnight or even Vancouver where they could easily pull off putting together a new years celebration seeing that their largest market.

Whatever, your too set in your ways on this issue. But answer me this, why in hell would Global have their new years celebrations in Niagara Falls? There are so many other places better they could have setup. Parliament Hill in Ottawa would have been perfect, the clock tower in the background ringing on midnight or even Vancouver where they could easily pull off putting together a new years celebration seeing that their largest market.
    You cannot throw a national New Year party in Vancouver for the east coast :)
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

[QUOTE=Mayhem;64643]
    Looks like he's going everywhere lately in public. CFL and NFL game at the rogers center.

Yeah, because he likes football. I'm sure he has more "fun" plans on New Years than this.

But seriously, having an controversial person like Rob Ford appear in public on one of the few days of the year where the majority of the population is drunk may not be a good thing.

But the theory that Rob Ford has anything to do with Rogers decision to cancel CityTV's New Years Bash is ridiculous. Even if you ignore that these things are planned well in advance before Rob Ford did anything, and even if you ignore the financial situation of CityTV, it's absurd that a television network would cancel something they were planning to do because he might show up.

It seems pretty right to me; of course going by your previous logic if it took months to plan, but was cancelled or never planed beforehand then Calgary.ca webmaster wouldn't have added it at all.

Well, it's wrong.

Whatever, your too set in your ways on this issue.
    I'm set in my ways with the FACTS. This isn't some assumption, it's cancelled.

But answer me this, why in hell would Global have their new years celebrations in Niagara Falls? There are so many other places better they could have setup. Parliament Hill in Ottawa would have been perfect, the clock tower in the background ringing on midnight or even Vancouver where they could easily pull off putting together a new years celebration seeing that their largest market.

What's wrong with Niagara Falls? It started there because that's where CHCH produced their New Years Eve special and when Canwest sold CHCH they had Global take over production but it's a great location with a great backdrop and is Canada's largest New Years Eve celebration (65,000 people attended the event last year, and for TV audiences actually did slightly better than CityTV's New Years Eve Bash, which is remarkable given how Global's New Years Eve special is only a few years old)

Any word on this? Doesn't seem like it will be happening, haven't seen any promo's for it and it doesn't look like a 2014 website has been created either.

I think we can say its been cancelled because the survey question on City's website is: What are your TV plans this holiday season?
    One of the answers is: Celebrate NYE with Ryan Seacrest on City.

This has been a Toronto tradition and I'm really sad to see it gone. I doubt the network will make much hoopla about it being canceled.

Rogers put out a release today confirming the City New Year's Bash cancellation and that they will air ABC's Ryan Seacrest special instead, although the special is axed, the release states that they will do commercial break cut ins from Nathan Phillips Square, CityNews Tonight at 11:00PM will be reduced to 35 minutes to accommodate the ABC simulcast at 11:35PM.

City Schedule Recap December 31st
    8:00PM: ABC's New Years Eve Presents: 30 Greatest Women in Music (Simulcast ABC)
    10:00PM: ABC's New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest (Simulcast ABC)
    11:00PM: CityNews Tonight
    11:35PM: ABC's New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest (Simulcast ABC)
    Last edited by TVViewer; 12-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.

or even Vancouver where they could easily pull off putting together a new years celebration seeing that their largest market.

Canada's only New Years Eve special will be joining Global's Squire Barnes and Erin Cebula in Vancouver to introduce a live performance by the band Our Lady Peace. this is in addition to live performances by Sam Roberts Band, Serena Ryder, and Demi Lovato who will join Cheryl Hickey, Rick Campanelli, and Sangita Patel in Niagara Falls. Global's New Years Eve at Niagara Falls will also feature an exclusive performance from Celine Dion. Live coverage begins at 9:00PM on Global.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 12-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Demi Lovato, the cocaine-smuggling pop star, will be a good replacement for Rob Ford. Pass the Coke ... I'm thirsty.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Rogers put out a release today confirming the City New Year's Bash cancellation and that they will air ABC's Ryan Seacrest special instead, although the special is axed, the release states that they will do commercial break cut ins from Nathan Phillips Square, CityNews Tonight at 11:00PM will be reduced to 35 minutes to accommodate the ABC simulcast at 11:35PM.

City Schedule Recap December 31st
    8:00PM: ABC's New Years Eve Presents: 30 Greatest Women in Music (Simulcast ABC)
    10:00PM: ABC's New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest (Simulcast ABC)
    11:00PM: CityNews Tonight
    11:35PM: ABC's New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest (Simulcast ABC)
    Official Press Release: http://www.rogersmediatv.ca/pr_detail.php?id=973

I'm kind of curious to know, and correct me if I'm wrong but is this going to be the first time in a long while that a Canadian broadcaster will actually be airing Dick Clark's NYE special?

Being from Montreal, I vaguely recall a few times in the 1980s and perhaps the early 1990s when CFCF aired the event. Not sure if it ever aired on CTV or Global nationally. Otherwise, all throughout the 1990s and 2000s, I don't think it has been ever carried on Canadian television, maybe through independent stations. And up until this year, City has been holding their own traditional New Year's Bash since at least the early 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    Official Press Release: http://www.rogersmediatv.ca/pr_detail.php?id=973

I'm kind of curious to know, and correct me if I'm wrong but is this going to be the first time in a long while that a Canadian broadcaster will actually be airing Dick Clark's NYE special?

Being from Montreal, I vaguely recall a few times in the 1980s and perhaps the early 1990s when CFCF aired the event. Not sure if it ever aired on CTV or Global nationally. Otherwise, all throughout the 1990s and 2000s, I don't think it has been ever carried on Canadian television, maybe through independent stations. And up until this year, City has been holding their own traditional New Year's Bash since at least the early 1980s.
    I find it weird that they'll only be showing highlights during the 11pm news and not even have the countdown going. They could've at least broadcasted an hour of the event on Omni.

Canada's only New Years Eve special will be joining Global's Squire Barnes and Erin Cebula in Vancouver to introduce a live performance by the band Our Lady Peace. this is in addition to live performances by Sam Roberts Band, Serena Ryder, and Demi Lovato who will join Cheryl Hickey, Rick Campanelli, and Sangita Patel in Niagara Falls. Global's New Years Eve at Niagara Falls will also feature an exclusive performance from Celine Dion. Live coverage begins at 9:00PM on Global.
    I'll guess with enough boozes in everyone it will make New Years Eve in Niagara Falls okay; but looking at this lineup their trying to appeal to an 35-49 age range audience than the audiences City use to target in years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Demi Lovato, the cocaine-smuggling pop star, will be a good replacement for Rob Ford. Pass the Coke ... I'm thirsty.
    LMAO, if she has a freak-out on stage, it probably be the highlight of the whole Global NYE Bash.

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    I find it weird that they'll only be showing highlights during the 11pm news and not even have the countdown going. They could've at least broadcasted an hour of the event on Omni.
    I find it more strange is that their still calling it "Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve". He's been gone for awhile now.