Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=Mayhem;64763]

I'll guess with enough boozes in everyone it will make New Years Eve in Niagara Falls okay;

I was very impressed with who Global was able to get this year. Their lineup is comparable to that of a U.S. network special. In fact Demi Lovato was the star performer of the U.S. MTV New Years Eve special last year. It's also hosted by popular on-air talent of a national celebrity newsmagazine, not a bunch of Toronto news anchors unknown to the rest of the country.

but looking at this lineup their trying to appeal to an 35-49 age range audience than the audiences City use to target in years prior.
    The talent performing on Global's is far more well known than anyone City was ever able to get for their special. What demographic was City trying to target with a bunch of unknown performers most people have never heard of? People tuned into City's because they wanted to watch a Canadian New Years Eve countdown, I highly doubt the performances were the reason for its success.

Global's New Years Eve at Niagara Falls does well with families. It has a heavy celebrity theme (it is a production of a celebrity newsmagazine after all) so if you can't stand celebrity newsmagazines then it's not the show for you but that's what they have success with, it's what the type of audience who watches New Years Eve specials on TV enjoys.

I find it more strange is that their still calling it "Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve". He's been gone for awhile now.
    Uh, what year do you think he passed away? Nothing good can come from ABC removing his name from the special.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 12-13-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    I find it weird that they'll only be showing highlights during the 11pm news and not even have the countdown going. They could've at least broadcasted an hour of the event on Omni.
    For the same reason the broadcast was cancelled in the first place. Money. It's not expensive to send a reporter and camera operator there to gather some footage of people ice skating and do a live hit for the newscast. The whole point of broadcasting ABC's special is so they don't have to spend the money to produce their own special.

Let me fix that for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    English-Canada's only New Years Eve special will be joining...
    Radio-Canada...

Maybe Global should invite Debbie Travis too to the party. She became popular last january, thanks to Global's stellar SAG Awards show simulcast !
    Last edited by InMontreal; 12-13-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I was very impressed with who Global was able to get this year. Their lineup is comparable to that of a U.S. network special. In fact Demi Lovato was the star performer of the U.S. MTV New Years Eve special last year.

LOL, MTV still has program with music? Who knew? :cool2:

It's also hosted by popular on-air talent of a national celebrity newsmagazine, not a bunch of Toronto news anchors unknown to the rest of the country.
    Well, if this was Bell Media; they'll would correct you that ET Canada is also filled with a bunch of Toronto area personalities that are unknow to the rest of the country. Just Saying.

The talent performing on Global's is far more well known than anyone City was ever able to get for their special. What demographic was City trying to target with a bunch of unknown performers most people have never heard of? People tuned into City's because they wanted to watch a Canadian New Years Eve countdown, I highly doubt the performances were the reason for its success.
    City did bring in a lot of well know personalities, that was never the problem. They brought in a lot of American talent and Canadian talent that was already a big hit in the U.S. instead of more home grown talent. They also had more Pop music than other types of music (eg, Country, Rock, etc).

Global's New Years Eve at Niagara Falls does well with families. It has a heavy celebrity theme (it is a production of a celebrity newsmagazine after all) so if you can't stand celebrity newsmagazines then it's not the show for you but that's what they have success with, it's what the type of audience who watches New Years Eve specials on TV enjoys.
    I was hinting at the fact that a good half of the target demographic would be too drunk before midnight to matter if they're watching any new years program or not.

Uh, what year do you think he passed away?

Two years ago this April. Did you not know he passed away?

Nothing good can come from ABC removing his name from the special.

I'm not advocating replacing his name with Ryan Seacrest, no one is advocating that, but who is it really benefiting keeping it? Are they just waiting for the year 2999 so they could bring his head back to life, put him in a glass jar and make him host the year 3000 countdown?
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

City Schedule Recap December 31st
    11:00PM: CityNews Tonight
    It's weird, CityNews Tonight is scheduled to air as well on CJNT Montreal, which doesn't have a newscast...
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I believe that City is doing a National 11pm newscast so CJNT will probably be a simulcast of CityNews Toronto. The rest of the country may just a taped delayed version.
    LOSat

[QUOTE=Mayhem;64844]
    LOL, MTV still has program with music? Who knew? :cool2:

Well, if this was Bell Media; they'll would correct you that ET Canada is also filled with a bunch of Toronto area personalities that are unknow to the rest of the country. Just Saying.

I don't think Bell Media would try to claim that hosts of a national celebrity newsmagazine that airs across the country are "unknown" to the rest of the country outside Toronto, especially since the program actually has a higher rating in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton than it does in Toronto.

City did bring in a lot of well know personalities, that was never the problem. They brought in a lot of American talent and Canadian talent that was already a big hit in the U.S. instead of more home grown talent.
    No they didn't, at least not in the last few years. Look at some of their old press releases over the past few years and name me one performer you think is "well known".

They also had more Pop music than other types of music (eg, Country, Rock, etc).
    Not according to their press releases announcing the talent. I see a mix of genres, the only theme I see is z-list celebrity.

I was hinting at the fact that a good half of the target demographic would be too drunk before midnight to matter if they're watching any new years program or not.

Two years ago this April. Did you not know he passed away?
    I knew when, but I don't consider not even 2 years as very long. It’s only the second new years broadcast since his passing.

I'm not advocating replacing his name with Ryan Seacrest, no one is advocating that, but who is it really benefiting keeping it? Are they just waiting for the year 2999 so they could bring his head back to life, put him in a glass jar and make him host the year 3000 countdown?
    They can say they are honoring his legacy by keeping his name on the program. I wouldn't have a problem with his name being removed but ABC knows there are people out there who will so since there is no harm in keeping it doesn't make sense bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSat View Post
    I believe that City is doing a National 11pm newscast so CJNT will probably be a simulcast of CityNews Toronto. The rest of the country may just a taped delayed version.
    @BTMontreal
    Our @La_Casella will be live from the Old Port tonight during @City_tv's New Year's Eve festivities! Catch her after 11pm.
    http://twitter.com/BTMontreal/status/418158568450588672

Cool !

Anyone know what the plan is this year?

Quote Originally Posted by j_levent View Post
    Anyone know what the plan is this year?

In City's holiday programming highlights press release, they confirmed that they will once again be simulcasting ABC instead of producing their own New Years eve special.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.