Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Showtime Canada

Showtime Canada

I don't have any news about a Showtime channel launching, I just wanted to start a discussion on whether people think that TMN should launch a Showtime branded channel similar to HBO Canada? I recall reading something about this a while back, apparently Astral was looking into launching a Showtime channel but for some reason it did not materialize?! I think Bell should seriously consider this as most people subscribe to TMN for the HBO & Showtime content, not the movies. Also, if pick n' pay ever becomes a reality, they could sell HBO Canada & Showtime Canada a la carte for a premium.

I wonder if the reason they haven't launched Showtime Canada is because they don't have the rights to all the show?! Super Channel currently airs The Big C & Homeland, TMN could easily acquire second run rights to these shows.

Thoughts?

It's probably the cost to license the name and perhaps HBO may choose to not license their brand/shows to TMN/Movie Central if they attempt to launch a Showtime feed.

It's probably the cost to license the name
    Bell can definitely afford to acquire the license to the Showtime name and I don't think they would have a problem spending the money especially since it will help sell subscriptions to the TV service as well as the mobile service.

perhaps HBO may choose to not license their brand/shows to TMN/Movie Central if they attempt to launch a Showtime feed
    They already air shows from both channels and have been doing so for years, why would HBO suddenly have a problem with a Showtime channel?!

I think the HBO brand is much better known in Canada than Showtime. Also Showtime has a bit less programming than HBO and the rights to their shows are owned by others also. Homeland of course is owned by SuperChannel, they also show their boxing among others.

People have been wanting for HBO to be authorized in Canada for years and to prevent that from ever happening TMN launched HBO Canada. I don't see people asking for Showtime to come over.

And again, HBO Canada only shows HBO series, movies and documentaries. With some Cancon movies and series. But all other movies are not on HBO. That means that a Showtime channel would struggle with filling programming and TMN would have less timeslot for their movies. Unless they don't do like HBO Canada and fill it with movies when they don`t have Showtime shows. As far as I know, HBO has an exclusivity with TMN, but Showtime does not and that also complicate things.

showtime actually does have a exclusive deal with with TMN and movie central but some of there shows like Homeland are actually owned by other company's that is why super channel can get them

Quote Originally Posted by mike10 View Post
    showtime actually does have a exclusive deal with with TMN and movie central but some of there shows like Homeland are actually owned by other company's that is why super channel can get them
    I think your definition of "exclusive" has a huge hole in it.

Astral signed an exclusivity deal for HBO Canada, so that no other PayTV service takes away any shows from them. That's exclusive.

FX Canada ain't an exclusivity deal but a licenced branding. In fact, Sons of Anarchy and Justified were already sold to Super Channel prior to launch, Anger Management was sold to CTV after launch...

As previously mentionned, HBO and Showtime are PayTV movie channels, but HBO invested money into producing original movies, documentaries, and specials, while Showtime's catalog of original content ain't comparable to fill a channel of itself.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

As previously mentionned, HBO and Showtime are PayTV movie channels, but HBO invested money into producing original movies, documentaries, and specials, while Showtime's catalog of original content ain't comparable to fill a channel of itself.
    You are correct, HBO has created more original programming than Showtime, I was not aware of that. I was under the impression that since they both launched around the same time (HBO- 1972, Showtime- 1976) and they compete with one another that they are comparable services and have produced roughly the same amount of original series.

actually fx Canada does have exclusive rights but that does not cover sons of anarchy because of the existing deal that super channel already had for the show they also did not have its always sunny in Philadelphia when the channel first launched because showcase had the Canadian licensing rights and the reason that they do not have Anger management is because the show is produced by lionsgate and they were outbid by CTV

Hmmm...that is a wonder indeed but then again both Corus and Bell own HBO Canada and I'm sort of wonderin' too what Bell Media will launch or retool next?

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    Hmmm...that is a wonder indeed but then again both Corus and Bell own HBO Canada and I'm sort of wonderin' too what Bell Media will launch or retool next?
    I don't know how well Much and M3 are doing but if there not doing great maybe bot would be prime targets for a rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I don't know how well Much and M3 are doing but if there not doing great maybe bot would be prime targets for a rebrand.
    Huh ?
    Much, just like TSN, are strong canadian brands that aren't gonna rebrand anytime soon.

MuchMoreMusic just rebranded as M3 back in october and inherited almost all scripted dramas from Much while Much became a farce... I mean, a Comedy Two channel.

- Space ain't gonna become "Syfy" since Syfy partners with both Bell and Canwest for original series, and there are no licence fee to pay for the branding.
    - Comedy Network was on the way to become Comedy Central, but the CRTC denied their request to air more animations, so they dumped animations on Much.
    - Book and FashionTV are good candidates for a rebrand as they're Cat A licences with bottom-low or null interest content and viewership.

We're drifting away from the original thread...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."