Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by View View Post
    It did just appear overnight, just in time for the start of the racing season.
    Channel 409 is now Fox Sports Racing HD.
    It's not a new channel. They've just changed the name of Speed.
    It's the same thing with Discovery Velocity -- not a new channel, they just changed the name of Discovery World. At least Velocity added some new shows to go along with the rebrand, unlike Speed/FSR which is still exactly the same nearly pointless channel it has been since August 2013, with only the name changed in a silly attempt to fool the gullible.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 02-21-2015 at 12:44 AM.

FOX Sports Racing to launch new era in motor sports Friday

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/fox-sports-racing-rebranding-speed-international-launch-feb-20-camping-world-truck-race-021915

FX Sports on Thursday announced the re-branding of SPEED International, its motor sports and automotive network in Canada and the Caribbean, as FOX Sports Racing. The new network will be on the air Friday and will bolster the high-octane programming lineup to deliver additional motor sports and big-event competition programming for 2015 and beyond.

“We’ve put the power and influence of the FOX Sports brand behind our commitment to motor sports,” said Eric Shanks, President & COO/Executive Producer of FOX Sports. “With highly anticipated NASCAR and MotoGP seasons about to get underway, and several other popular series up and running, FOX Sports Racing is now the hub for a vast and diverse community of passionate race fans.”

FOX Sports Racing returns to Rogers in Canada just in time for a live airing of Friday's season-opening NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Daytona International Speedway at 7:30 p.m. ET. Additionally, FOX Sports Racing continues to be available to pay-TV subscribers in the Caribbean.

With a 2015 schedule that includes 785 events and nearly 900 hours of competition-driven programming, the FOX Sports Racing lineup is highlighted by a full season of live NASCAR Camping World Truck Series racing, practice and qualifying sessions from NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Xfinity Series events; the MotoGP World Championship and its support series Moto2 and Moto3; Monster Energy Supercross; Tudor United Sportscar Championship; ARCA Racing Series; and the inaugural season of the FIA Formula E Championship, which makes its North American debut on March 14 in Miami.

FOX Sports Racing also is home to Street League Skateboarding (SLS), Burton Snowboarding, The Jockey Club, and the Masters Agility Championship at Westminster. For a look at the complete FOX Sports Racing programming lineup, please visit: FOXSportsRacing.com.

So the "new era in motor sports" proclaimed in the silly press release involves exactly the same channel with a different name, and the only new programming I can see listed there is snowboarding, skateboarding, and "agility" (is that dogs going over jumps and running through plastic tunnels?) ?
    http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...sports-racing/
    There is nothing new really here to see other than a different shade of lipstick on a watered-down pig.
    ... features the same crappy commercials and the same crappy reality programming.

Particularly with the more pick-and-pay type of rules on the way, I am still a little mystified as to why Rogers suddenly decided to throw a lifeline to this channel (a year after being the first of several Canadian BDUs to drop it) when it was likely about to disappear for good. Maybe Fox was so eager to keep some minimal presence in Canada that they let Rogers carry it for almost nothing? As far as I know, no other Canadian carrier that had already dropped Speed has picked up Fox Sports Racing. I think two or three others that remain have had it all along, although Shaw dropped it on April 1, even after the name change and the inexplicable Rogers revival. Few people west of Ontario can get it.

In addition to the rodeo, dog agility, skateboarding and snowboarding, they did actually add some racing content by significantly increasing their live coverage of the FIA World Endurance Championship races.
    http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...ports-1-040915

But they apparently could not be bothered to notify anyone who maintains Canadian TV listings or BDU channel guides that the season opening 6-hour race at Silverstone would be shown live. Only the racing-specific website for Canadians, racingnorth.ca, knew enough to put it on their list of the televised or live-streamed motorsports for that weekend.

Fox Sports Racing seems to exist mostly to show the FS Nascar content that isn't already seen on TSN, hardly enough on its own to justify a TV channel. I could maybe understand if it was something like the NFL Network or Golf channel and had at least some reasonable amount of other related programming, but not when most of the schedule is two or three year-old reruns of 'R U Faster Than A Redneck?', etc., not to mention all those obnoxiously repetitive promos because of not being allowed to have commercials.
    I don't pay attention to Nascar, but I assume, if it doesn't already exist, there should be some way to make this limited amount of live non-TSN TV Nascar content available to Canadians over the internet (like maybe the TSN website?) instead of dedicating an otherwise largely pointless TV channel to it? Many other racing series already do this, either with a paid subscription (Moto GP, FIM WSBK, FIA WEC, FIA WRC, FIA WTCC, Australian V8 Supercars) or freely available live streaming and/or archived broadcasts usually available a day after events occur. (Nascar does eventually make archived full race broadcasts available on their youtube channel, and I see there is a Nascar App).

Edit: I re-posted the list of free motorsport streaming links to a post in the 'Other Ways To Watch TV' forum.
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...treaming-links
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 04-27-2016 at 02:55 PM.

I wonder if maybe Fox's actions could involve a contractual obligation (most likely to Nascar) to maintain some kind of TV channel presence in Canada? There just doesn't seem to be much other reasonable explanation for the continued existence of Fox Sports Racing. It may have to stop carrying Moto GP if the new World Sports TV channel launches in Canada as apparently planned. There's almost nothing else left on FSR except the non-TSN Nascar content. The United SportsCar races can be viewed live and without the obnoxious and overly frequent FSR promo breaks in Canada on imsa.tv, despite usually being blocked in the U.S.

Almost all of the racing I watch is legally available live on the internet, or at worst made available the next day.
    I hope we don't get more of these marginal TV channels picking up one or two racing series and geo-blocking the live streaming.
    Just about the only (presumably) TV channel induced geo-blocking I've seen recently happened on Sunday with the DTM race from Hockenheim, after the series' website and Youtube channel had shown Saturday's race (and qualifying on both days) live. I assume that's because the Sunday race was to be shown in a delayed manner later that day on the CBS Sports channel, which I would guess probably has even fewer subscribers in Canada than Fox Sports Racing. CBS Sports also shows delayed -- by days or even weeks -- airings of Trans-Am and World Challenge races. That seems ridiculous in 2015. World Challenge at least also has live streaming of their races on their website, unlike Trans-Am which waited until a month after it had ended to post the first race of their season on their website and Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/TheTransAmSeries

Fox Sports Racing has now re-appeared on Cogeco (or just 'appeared' if you consider the name change to have made it a new channel).
    http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/08...ear-later.html

Edit: This item lists a lot of smaller cable companies in Canada that carry Fox Sports Racing. I didn't know there were that many that still existed.
    http://www.racecanada.biz/index.php/...adian-carriers

NHRA has ended its deal with ESPN a year before it was set to expire, and Fox Sports will have NHRA drag racing in 2016, presumably meaning some more actual racing coverage will be seen on FSR in Canada, while ESPN in the U.S. will apparently have no regular motorsports in its line-up during 2016.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ports-in-2016/
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-30-2016 at 09:16 AM.

"Motors TV NorthAm" has been added to the CRTC's List of non-Canadian channels authorized to be distributed by Canadian BDUs.
    http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-487.htm
    a French-language service from the United States that provides programming dedicated to motorsports from around the world. The service will provide a secondary audio program channel in English.
    Not that I expect to see anyone actually carrying it in Canada, but a simple look at the schedule on the Motors TV website shows everything on the channel is motorsports -- IMO infinitely better than FSR.

Edit (Dec.20) : The Motors TV NorthAm channel has been picked up by an American OTT carrier, Sling International.
    http://www.digitaltveurope.net/47287...nal-in-the-us/

Unfortunately the schedule is noticeably weaker for the US than it is in Europe, because a bunch of other existing US channels (CBS Sports, NBC Sports, MavTV, Fox Sports 1 and 2) already have the rights to some racing series.
    http://northam.motorstv.com/tv-guide/day

I assume, if the channel ever does get carried by someone in Canada, we would get the same weaker U.S. channel, as MotorsTV would be unlikely to provide a separate feed just for Canada, even if it could be largely the same as what is shown Europe, since TSN and Sportsnet in Canada show very little racing beyond F1, Nascar, and IndyCar. And it appears Motors TV is still not HD in Europe, not to mention all the streaming available on the internet now making it increasingly pointless.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 04-27-2016 at 02:58 PM.