Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight ending after 10 years

It's disappointing that Canada will again be without a talk show. It was a good venue to promote the Canadian industry.

George will be hosting Hockey Night In Canada next season.

Cancelling George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight I could care less because I haven't watched the show in a few years at least. What has me riled up is the fact that of ALL people in this big, big country of ours, Rogers hires him to host Hockey Night in Canada !!?? Absolutely sickening. This is one of THE dumbest decisions from Rogers, and I will continue to watch my Mighty Maple Leaf games but I will not be watching the HNIC program. Pre-game shows, post-game shows and intermissions I won't be watching. George S. does NOT belong on HNIC. Now, on a semi-separate note, I can't help but wonder if after the four years of NHL on CBC is up, if that will be the time when Rogers buys CBC from the government. Bell has a national network with CTV, and Shaw has a national network with Global. Rogers is the only big broadcaster without a national network, as Citytv is only in a few markets across the country. Can these next four years be the beginning of CBC being bought out by Rogers, which would give Rogers it's national network? I guess we'll find out in a few years. Just a thought though

I think that will depend on which party is running the show in 2018. Perhaps the government might sell the conventional broadcaster; CBC and create a cable only CBC channel similar to how APTN is distributed. My guess is however that Rogers will continue to air HNIC on CBC until Internet streaming becomes the dominant delivery method of Television.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    Rogers is the only big broadcaster without a national network, as Citytv is only in a few markets across the country.
    There are Citytv stations in all provinces except the Atlantic.

Why do you think George doesn't belong on HNIC?

Why do you think George doesn't belong on HNIC?

Because where have we seen him before that had something to do with hockey. He interviewed hockey players on his talk show? Is that the only qualification required. And he may know his sports and worked at a sports radio station, but you just don't get the vibe that George S. should be on a hockey broadcast. That's like making Dennis Miller host of Monday Night Football. Just because he knows his stuff, doesn't mean he belongs. And George S. is the same...just because he's a hockey fan, doesn't mean he belongs on HNIC. They could/should have gotten Nick Kypreos, Darren Millard, kept Ron Maclean in place. Rogers could have tried harder to recruit staff from TSN. I can think of a few women who belong there instead of George S. like Hazel Mae, Martine Gillard, or Jody Vance, to name a couple. It's just not right and judging by the comments I've seen across the internet, there's a lot more people who are not happy with this than there are who are happy. People are not happy with an immature middle aged squeegee hipster doofus kid talking to them about hockey. And I can envision a ratings plunge for Rogers and CBC because of this dumb decision

You answered your own question about his qualifications. It's hardly similar to Dennis Miller. George isn't going to in the booth doing commentary. Martine Gaillard would be okay as a host.

So you won't be watching Coach’s Corner?

So you won't be watching Coach’s Corner?

No I won't. I will watch the Leafs games but not Hockey Night in Canada, I will not watch the pre-game shows, post-game shows or the intermission segments. I will put my TV on mute and do something else until the next period. But once the game is over, I will change the channel. This is my last season of watching HNIC, including Coach's Corner. I can envision, and seriously hope that ratings plummet next year for Rogers and CBC. I can envision seeing the headlines in summer 2015...HNIC views down 40% And why did ratings go down they'll wonder? It's because the dumbbell Scott Moore hired George Whateverhisnameis to host Hockey Night in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    It's disappointing that Canada will again be without a talk show. It was a good venue to promote the Canadian industry...
    I hope someone comes up with a new one, and probably CBC would make the most sense. Like him or not, when Bullard's show was on CTV and Comedy Network, it was even getting many American celebrities promoting their TV shows or movies, usually right before or after they went to New York to appear on Letterman's show.

I only watched Stroumbo on rare occasions when he had a guest I wanted to see. His act always came off as being a little phoney or forced to me, but I don't know why so many people would apparently hate him. I would assume as HNIC host he would be more straight forward. It's still all mostly hockey, not just several hours of him by himself or interviewing a guest.

Bill Brioux has some ideas for a new Canadian talk show: Does Canada need late-night TV talk show?

I'd prefer a woman as the host. Perhaps Jann Arden. She's 52 and might soon need one of those Acorn Stairlifts that the CBC loves to advertise.

Once she finishes her tour, she should be free and clear.

If the guests cancel at the last moment, she could always sing a few songs or even wrestle a bear.

In my humble opinion, Jann's the best man for the job.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Bill Brioux has some ideas for a new Canadian talk show: Does Canada need late-night TV talk show?
    That's a good column by Brioux. Brent Butt or Dave Foley might be that good combination of comedian and interviewer.

Bullard was right about there being no way to be as good as the nightly US shows with their squads of 16-20 highly paid writers that no Canadian network could afford. Bullard had, I think, one or two other writers once his show had become reasonably successful, but otherwise relied, particularly during its first couple of years, on Bullard's wise-cracks while talking to audience members instead of a longer joke monologue and prepared desk comedy bits.

As much as I liked Ed The Sock and wish he was back on TV, I'm not sure many celebrities would be eager to be interviewed by a sock puppet, and I'm not sure the very independently-minded Ed and the CBC would be a good fit.

Edit; May 1, 2014: Here is a link to Brioux's follow-up blog post -- http://www.brioux.tv/2014/04/more-ta...y-for-cbc.html
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 05-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.