Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

CBS Thursday Night Football. What will the other networks do?

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet, but CBS announced a few months ago that it will broadcast 8 Thursday Night Football games from September to the end of October. Which means some of their biggest Thursday hit shows will air on other nights until November (they have indicated that they will move these shows back to Thursdays from their new nights in November)

Out of all the networks bidding for Thursday Night Football, CBS was the only network that didn't really need it, and some of CBS competitors will probably benefit more from NFL Football airing on CBS than CBS regular programming. This however is not good news for Canadian networks. One thing CTV, Global, and City all have in common is their #1 Thursday night shows all come from CBS, so no CBS programming on Thursdays for 2 months could be a challenge.

Here's what I think the networks will do

FOX: FOX really could do anything. From comedy to drama to reality. My guess is though FOX will take advantage of CBS absence to launch something new.

NBC: Like FOX, NBC could do anything. It looked like NBC should try something other than comedy as they haven't had much success launching new comedies on Thursdays, but the biggest factor for this was the strength of the CBS comedies (especially at 8:00PM) now they wont have to worry about CBS comedies for 2 months.

ABC: While I think FOX and NBC are likely to launch some new shows, I see ABC only launching one and keeping the two dramas they have on the night. I don't see them going the comedy route as they will probably want something that fits with the existing dramas they have. Now may be a time to shift an existing drama to 8:00PM and use it as a lead-in for something new at 9:00PM.

CTV: Out of all the networks, CTV will suffer the most as Thursdays is home to CTV's #1 show and that will be moving to a new night for 8 weeks. CTV will probably end up with a new ABC drama and something Canadian on the night.

Global: Global will probably get the new FOX and/or NBC shows for the night.

City: Rogers owns the rights to Thursday Night Football in Canada. It has always aired on Sportsnet, but Sportsnet can't require simulcasts so I wouldn't be surprised if City ends up airing Thursday Night Football in simulcast with CBS. They are already airing NHL Hockey on Sunday nights in place of regular programming, and just like Sunday, Thursday is a weak night for City. They also have OMNI to air the few Thursday and Sunday programs City owns the rights to (I expect to see further program sharing between OMNI and City next season, especially if the CRTC approves their request to remove OMNI's U.S. program restrictions in primetime).
    Last edited by TVViewer; 03-15-2014 at 09:34 AM.

I am willing to bet the majority of the shows wont start their season until November. I am also willing to bet that The Big Bang Theory will still air at 8:00pm on Thursday and the NFL Football/Pregame will start at 8:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I am willing to bet the majority of the shows wont start their season until November. I am also willing to bet that The Big Bang Theory will still air at 8:00pm on Thursday and the NFL Football/Pregame will start at 8:30pm.
    I really doubt that as football would be a waste of a massive lead-in. CBS is really struggling right now on Monday nights with their comedies hitting series lows, and in a few weeks they will lose their #1 Monday night comedy, so I think they will move it to Mondays for at least the first 6 weeks to try and give their struggling Monday night comedies a boost.

This would create problems for both CTV and City, as CTV doesn't have much to pair it with owning 2 hour reality shows while City would have to deal with an open 30 minute spot on their Monday night comedy schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I really doubt that as football would be a waste of a massive lead-in. CBS is really struggling right now on Monday nights with their comedies hitting series lows, and in a few weeks they will lose their #1 Monday night comedy, so I think they will move it to Mondays for at least the first 6 weeks to try and give their struggling Monday night comedies a boost.

This would create problems for both CTV and City, as CTV doesn't have much to pair it with owning 2 hour reality shows while City would have to deal with an open 30 minute spot on their Monday night comedy schedule.
    If they do move Big Bang Theory to Mondays for the first few weeks, CTV could just show it in pre release at 7:30pm. City will likely just air a re-run in the open 30 minute slot

If they do move Big Bang Theory to Mondays for the first few weeks, CTV could just show it in pre release at 7:30pm. City will likely just air a re-run in the open 30 minute slot
    Citytv will keep using "Murdoch Mysteries" as a 1-hour bouche-trou key-fits-all-filler.

CBS's scheduling patterns are so easy to predict.
    - Some underperforming shows will be thrown to mid-season (think Mike & Molly), one new sitcom will premiere in the fall, get bad ratings and get cancelled, bringing forward one sitcom to fill the schedule hole.
    - Big Bang Theory was on mondays for its first 3 seasons, so no worry there.
    - CBS Television produced "Elementary" performs so-so on thursdays while mondays 10pm suffers against NBC's Blacklist, so it will probably move there in the fall.
    - Mentalist is doomed for cancellation so sunday 10pm is wide open for the next drama that CBS wants to cancel next, causing scheduling instability due to football overruns and viewers giving it up. Person of Interest is the next non-CBS shows with ratings dropping, but it hasn't reach its 88-episodes syndication threshold, so it may stay on tuesdays...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

No way would CTV air BBT out of simulcast.