Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

CW to debut '09 season earlier

Starting next year, the CW plans to get a jump on competitors by moving the start of its programming season into the summer.

The network plans to premiere its 2009-10 lineup the first week of August, or possibly in late July. As a result, the CW will fast-track some of its development and shoot pilots this November.

"The idea is to just get out of the fray and be able to launch at a time when we can bring viewers in, when there's not as much competition," said CW entertainment president Dawn Ostroff at the Television Critics Assn.'s semi-annual press tour. "If you look at cable, they launch in summer, and it works for them."

Ostroff says she would have also launched the upcoming season in August if not for NBC airing the Summer Olympics. Instead, the CW will roll out most of its shows Sept. 1, which is still three weeks before the typical premiere week.

link to the rest of the article

if The CW even lasts that long.

Anyway I don't really think it's such a good idea, the target demo they are going after (women 12-34) are way less likely to be watching TV in August.

Sure summer works for cable, but is The CW a cable network? Just because they get lower ratings than most cable networks doesn't mean they should try to be one.

I guess this is the latest bright idea attempt to keep the ship from hitting the ocean floor

I think she may have just said this to put down rumors that this is the network's last year, to make the press think that they are already working on next season.

Also, if they were planning to do this, and think that August is such a great time to launch, they should have done it this year. The Olympics for the most part is going after a different demo than most of The CW's series such as Gossip Girl.

They would most likely get better ratings than they will next year, this august they would only have to compete with The Olympics and a few other shows that go after a different demo. Next August they will have to compete with So You Think You Can Dance, Hell's Kitchen, and other younger skewing programming.

I don't get why they think such an early start will help them all that much. It's all about content. Next year Smallville (one their two top shows) will be gone. I would have more confidence in the network if they announced some new shows. The article even mentions that the early start will cause some shows to go into repeats sooner! How is that good news?

Also if the shows don't premiere well in August, then they will be stuck with the low ratings in the fall.

Sure a summer launch worked for The OC, but The OC was on FOX, and FOX had summer series to promote it.