Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And now the other Canadian channels are airing Harper's speech.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

And now CTV and Global have returned to their regularly scheduled programming (while CBC and City stay with the Ottawa shooting -- isn't that what news channels are for?).

CBC Toronto is now airing tonight's Dragons' Den episode, but City is still rambling on about Ottawa.

I like the TVO coverage dealing with the Ottawa shooting, but that's all I really need.

City has finally returned to its regularly scheduled programming (at 9pm). Let's keep the talk about Ottawa limited to CP24. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    CBC Toronto is now airing tonight's Dragons' Den episode, but City is still rambling on about Ottawa.

I like the TVO coverage dealing with the Ottawa shooting, but that's all I really need.

According to this tweet https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/525018717038854144 (which I'm shocked they didn't delete after tons and tons of people on Twitter bashed their "Terror in Canada" graphic with ridiculous dark clouds) they had already planned to go live from 8:00PM to 9:00PM ET.

Nothing wrong with providing primetime coverage, but the fact that they stuck with regular programming all day when the story was actually breaking is just shocking even for them. All they are doing is telling viewers that they don't have the resources to cover any type of breaking news during the day no matter how big the story is. Primetime coverage several hours after the story is no longer breaking with ridiculous distasteful graphics does not make up for no coverage when the story was actually happening.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

TVViewer, I don't know why you keep beating this dead horse. It's been very evident for years that Rogers has little to no interest in providing news on it's network of stations. That message became even more clear when they axed CityNews last year. We have three networks that broke into live coverage today. Who cares whether or not City can provide breaking news coverage. There is not one market that they serve that isn't served by competing news broadcast.

Primetime coverage several hours after the story is no longer breaking with ridiculous distasteful graphics does not make up for no coverage when the story was actually happening.
    I agree with the ridiculous graphic comment. It's very reminiscent of FOX News, MSNBC, CNN.
    Last edited by bigoranget; 10-22-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Nothing wrong with providing primetime coverage, but the fact that they stuck with regular programming all day when the story was actually breaking is just shocking even for them. All they are doing is telling viewers that they don't have the resources to cover any type of breaking news during the day no matter how big the story is. Primetime coverage several hours after the story is no longer breaking with ridiculous distasteful graphics does not make up for no coverage when the story was actually happening.
    Got to give them credit for doing something, not only for the Toronto station (which is the only station with a newscast) for also on the whole network. At 8pm ET, they normally have Hell's Kitchen in simsub with Fox, but it was baseball night, so they had one hour to fill, and they did it, cancon and commercial-free.

When Mister Harper addressed to the nation :
    - CTV has cut Arrow.
    - Global has cut Survivor. As usual, Vidéotron took their time, a big whole 2 minutes before stopping the simsub.
    - On the french-language side, TVA went live at 8pm and started the téléroman (Béatrice) at 8:16pm from the beginning, bumping nightcast to 10:16pm. Sucks for PVR owners, but the shows aired entirely.
    - Radio-Canada used a good ~30 minutes, joined Enfants de la Télé in progress (by coincidence, right after a commercial break). According to the Devoir journalist, SRC will reprogram that episode in coming weeks.

Time-shifting options : Radio-Canada Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC were apparently unaffected, some people could watch it entirely. As for TVA West, it's TVA Montreal on a 180 minutes delay, available only in SD. Not ideal situation for breaking news...
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.