Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    OK, so, we blamed Rogers for spending so much on U.S. programming in the last few years. This year, they brought a few shows (shows that CTV and Global didn't want, as you name them) and kept most of those they already had, reducing their expenses. Yet, you complain they ain't competitive enough.

We also blamed Rogers for being more interested in sports, namely Sportsnet. They did just that, bring two nights of hockey (not to forget the occasional week-end afternoon sports) on City. Yet, you complain they are affecting Sportsnet.

They spent more time promoting FX and FXX, which is their only subscription drama and comedy channels they own, against Bell and Shaw's long established analog specialties they brought. ot on an even playing field, yet, you complain.

And what about CHCH Hamilton ? Should they shut down as well considering they have a valuable daytime newscast but a horrible primetime strategy ? Or do you have *some* compassion to independently owners ?
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

[QUOTE=InMontreal;66206]

OK, so, we blamed Rogers for spending so much on U.S. programming in the last few years. This year, they brought a few shows (shows that CTV and Global didn't want, as you name them) and kept most of those they already had, reducing their expenses. Yet, you complain they ain't competitive enough.

I'm not complaining, just stating the reality. Rogers is the one that said conventional can't make money on sports, Rogers is the one that said how U.S. strip programming was not viable (for OMNI). Hit U.S. programming was always the reason they wanted City, and with them now significantly cutting back on their U.S. programming, both in terms of how much they buy and what they buy, and putting all their focus towards hockey (which does not need the City network), it's fair to wonder if operating a conventional network is in the future of Rogers.

We also blamed Rogers for being more interested in sports, namely Sportsnet. They did just that, bring two nights of hockey (not to forget the occasional week-end afternoon sports) on City. Yet, you complain they are affecting Sportsnet.

Again, not complaining, just wondering. If nhl hockey isn't going to make money on City, why is it airing on City instead of SportsNet? I was actually supportive of them airing hockey back when it was assumed that hockey would turn a profit for the network, but they made it quite clear to the CRTC that hockey will only break even at best on conventional (which just proves how much they over paid for it)

However, yes I do think they have put too much focus on sports at Rogers Media, although now it's mostly hockey as TSN is snatching up all the remaining sports assets.

They spent more time promoting FX and FXX, which is their only subscription drama and comedy channels they own, against Bell and Shaw's long established analog specialties they brought. ot on an even playing field, yet, you complain.
    I'm just making an observation, in the past City has been the focus of the upfront, but a lot of people have mentioned that this year a lot of the focus was on hockey (which had its own upfront months ago) and FX.

And what about CHCH Hamilton ? Should they shut down as well considering they have a valuable daytime newscast but a horrible primetime strategy ? Or do you have *some* compassion to independently owners ?
    I didn't say I think they should shut down or that I want them to shut down. It would be horrible to see the network shut down and people lose their jobs. I said I wouldn't be surprised IF Rogers decides to do so. From a for profit business standpoint, there is not much incentive for them to keep a money losing conventional network going if the only content of value that it airs is hockey which can easily be moved to Sportsnet. Hockey seems to be all they are interested in, they aren't interested in being a competitor for U.S. programming, they aren't interested in building a strong news organization, in fact they aren't even interested in maintaining the weak news organization they have now since they are projected to slash millions from the budget.

They are acting like nhl hockey is the best thing any network could possibly broadcast. They don't seem to be concerned about shoving hockey down the throats of the millions of Canadians who have zero interest in it by forcing it into all of their Rogers media properties, even if hockey doesn't even fit.
    They spent billions to acquire the rights to hockey- do you seriously think that they are going to pay for those rights all by themselves?! Prepare to be saturated with everything hockey related, as Rogers will incorporate the NHL into anything and everything they own. I hope this strategy backfires on them, they over paid for these rights and now need to find ways to make money to pay for them thus the reason why they will be incorporating the NHL into all their assets, whether we like it or not. Our cable/satellite bills will probably be jacked up real soon as Rogers will be demanding huge increases in their fees for Sportsnet.

I honestly wont be surprised if Rogers does shut the network down in the next few years.
    I don't see them shutting City down unless say Bell decides to shut down CTV2 as it would make them look really bad and would IMO be an outright admission of failure. As I have mentioned before, these people haven't got a clue what they are doing, they only know Sports and that is what they are focusing on. Also, I think Rogers believes that conventional television is on its death bead so they are doing the bare minimum to keep City going, waiting for it to die. If they have zero interest in operating the City network then I think they should look into selling it, not sure who would buy it but I am sure in the crazy media world a buyer would eventually appear.

On a related note, I think they should sell off the OMNI stations as this network has become one huge disaster for them. They have destroyed these stations with all the programming cuts and employee layoffs and now they trying to pull a fast one on the CRTC, trying to change the entire focus by applying for approval to reduce the amount of multicultural programming they air. These are MULTICULTURAL stations, if you are going to reduce the amount of multicultural programing you air then they won't be multicultural stations anymore. I think the Lombardi family (the folks behind CHIN radio), would be the perfect owners for the 2 Toronto stations. They are pioneers in multicultural radio and television in Canada and would do a great job operating these stations. The launch of all these ethnic specialty channels has resulted in lower viewership for the multicultural stations but I think there is still enough of an audience to sustain at least one station in Toronto as well as the Vancouver station- the rest could be shut down.

Simply put, football is the United States' national sport, putting a few games on conventional television pulls in huge ratings.

Up north, hockey is Canada's national sport, but until now, CBC is the only network airing games, on saturdays and during the playoffs. Next season, Rogers is trying to mimic US's strategy on their national sport and put more games on conventional television, but TVViewer is worried about it because it will steal away (male) viewers from his beloved Global network, but also because there's no simsub opportunity, he thinks these games should remain on cable sports channels, and refuse to give away more games for free to non-cable subscribers (over-the-air antenna viewers).

The Comedy Network Acquires JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
    − Late night talker coming exclusively to Comedy in Canada, Fall 2014 –

Source : http://www.bellmediapr.ca/Network/Th...twork-Acquires

=====

City had plenty of opportunities to adjust up their primetime cancon quota in order to simulcast Jimmy Kimmel at 11:35pm. They made plenty of cuts in their news department which could justify shorten Toronto City News at 11pm to 35 minutes... but they decided instead to air 2 hours per night of syndicated sitcoms (7pm and 10pm), and now they're dropping the show.

One more hour to air syndicated sitcoms at midnight like The Office...

Oh well. Comedy won't have a simsub opportunity (except maybe Bell customers), but...
    Last edited by InMontreal; 06-05-2014 at 04:45 PM.

[QUOTE=InMontreal;66230]
    Simply put, football is the United States' national sport, putting a few games on conventional television pulls in huge ratings. Up north, hockey is Canada's national sport, but until now, CBC is the only network airing games, on saturdays and during the playoffs. Next season, Rogers is trying to mimic US's strategy on their national sport and put more games on conventional television,
    In the U.S., conventional networks have value for signal. The dual revenue stream allows conventional networks to make money off NFL Football. Here in Canada, Rogers is saying that at best they will break even with NHL on City, because unlike Sportsnet, City doesn't benefit from the dual revenue stream of advertising+carriage fees.

but TVViewer is worried about it because it will steal away (male) viewers from his beloved Global network,
    Hockey on City is GREAT for Global. Hockey has aired against Global's programming for years and it's better for Global if they have to compete against CBC's regular programming over City's regular programming (hockey on both networks is even better). City broadcasting hockey on Sunday nights will steal very few if any male viewers from Global as Global will be airing dramas at 8:00PM & 9:00PM which will have very little if any audience overlap with hockey (there would be far more audience overlap with these dramas if City was airing regular programming). NHL on City Sunday nights will provide Global with the new opportunity to reach more female viewers than before, while still reaching male viewers on the night, just in new time slots. Instead of reaching a large male audience from 8:00PM to 8:30PM and 9:00PM to 9:30PM they will reach a large male audience from 10:00PM to 11:00PM, but they will now also be reaching more females than ever before with drama from 8:00PM to 10:00PM. If there was no hockey on Sunday nights, Global wouldn't be able to maximize the audience of their Sunday dramas while still dominating with males in the 10:00PM hour. Only hockey on City allows Global to have a successful 10:00PM comedy block while at the same time drive more audiences to their dramas.

but also because there's no simsub opportunity, he thinks these games should remain on cable sports channels, and refuse to give away more games for free to non-cable subscribers (over-the-air antenna viewers).

Personally the only issue I have with sports programming on OTA channels is when it pre-empts local news programming. As long as it's not pre-empting news, I could care less if it airs on OTA conventional stations. I'm just saying that I don't really see how hockey on City benefits the network given the facts I have already stated several times. Why don't you share what you think the benefits are while keeping in mind that Rogers has said the games wont make money?

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    The Comedy Network Acquires JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
    − Late night talker coming exclusively to Comedy in Canada, Fall 2014

Source : http://www.bellmediapr.ca/Network/Th...twork-Acquires

=====

City had plenty of opportunities to adjust up their primetime cancon quota in order to simulcast Jimmy Kimmel at 11:35pm...

Oh well. Comedy won't have a simsub opportunity (except maybe Bell customers), but...
    The press release you linked says Comedy Network will be showing Kimmel at 11:35pm, then boasts about it adding to their already strong line-up of Daily Show and Colbert Report. Well, they can't be showing Kimmel and Colbert at the same time now, so presumably it moves in time or channel? When does Colbert quit to go to CBS, and get replaced by Larry Wilmore?

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    The press release you linked says Comedy Network will be showing Kimmel at 11:35pm, then boasts about it adding to their already strong line-up of Daily Show and Colbert Report. Well, they can't be showing Kimmel and Colbert at the same time now, so presumably it moves in time or channel? When does Colbert quit to go to CBS, and get replaced by Larry Wilmore?

CTV's fall schedule does have The Colbert Report scheduled weeknights at 2:35AM. It must be airing on some Bell channel sometime earlier though, unless they get it in PRE-Release the earliest Comedy can show it is 12:35AM. It's not on the CTV Two schedule even though the 12:30AM time slot is available.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 09-29-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: incorrectly typed 1:35 instead of 12:35

Bill Brioux' recap of how Rogers upfront went http://brioux.tv/2014/06/rogers-good...-2014-ad-bash/

City & OMNI.1 Fall 2014 Programming
    Toronto Base Schedule

New shows in BOLD

City

WEEKDAYS (MONDAY-FRIDAY)
    5:30am BT Early Start
    6:00am Breakfast Television
    9:00am Cityline
    10:00am Let's Make a Deal
    11:00am The Price is Right
    12:00pm Family Feud
    1:00pm The Chew
    2:00pm General Hospital
    3:00pm Celebrity Name Game
    4:00pm CityLine Encore
    5:00pm CityNews at 5
    6:00pm CityNews at 6

WEEKNIGHTS
    11:00pm CityNews Tonight
    12:00am TBA
    1:00am Extra Late

WEEKENDS
    6:00pm CityNews Weekend
    6:30pm Hometown Hockey Pre-Game (Sundays)
    11:00pm CityNews Weekend Late
    12:00am The Beat

Source: http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten...er-Planner.pdf

OMNI 1

WEEKDAYS
    6:00pm 30 Rock
    6:00pm How I Met Your Mother
    7:00pm Two and a Half Men
    7:30pm Two and a Half Men

WEEKNIGHTS
    11:35pm Late Show with David Letterman (s-CBS)
    12:35am Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (s-CBS)

SUNDAY
    7:00pm America's Funniest Home Videos (s-ABC)

Source: http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten...er-Planner.pdf

Information taken from Master Planners on the Rogers Media website.

As earlier speculated, The Biggest Loser has been dropped by Rogers. Also, for whatever reason, the Master Planners for both City and OMNI are showing NFL Football on Thursdays and Sundays.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-05-2014 at 08:31 PM.

They spent more time promoting FX and FXX, which is their only subscription drama and comedy channels they own, against Bell and Shaw's long established analog specialties they brought. ot on an even playing field, yet, you complain...
    But, you know, they should just go away because TVViewer doesn't like them.
    He knows Rogers will be showing NHL games on City AND Sportsnet channels, right? The idea is to get as many viewers as possible for all their channels, and there isn't much that can accomplish that better than NHL will. It is something like what the Fox network did when they bought NFL rights. It immediately put them on the same level as the other major networks and allowed all their other shows to be promoted during games.

[QUOTE=Donovan's Monkey;66258]

But, you know, they should just go away because TVViewer doesn't like them.

It doesn't matter what I like. I don't expect any station to just put on programming I enjoy and I don't care if City is full of hockey or other programming I don't like. I think Rogers is the best fit for hockey, and if it turned a profit City by far would benefit the most with nhl hockey. Something profitable that brings in more viewers than their regular programming makes a lot of sense, but now Rogers is saying that hockey wont make money on conventional (probably because they over paid so much for it), it also wont air in primetime in western Canada, including the 3 largest markets outside Toronto, which means they will have to air Can con filler there, and they are using it to lead-into a show that goes after a totally different audience.

knows Rogers will be showing NHL games on City AND Sportsnet channels, right?
    Sportsnet is also airing NHL games on Sunday nights?

The idea is to get as many viewers as possible for all their channels, and there isn't much that can accomplish that better than NHL will. It is something like what the Fox network did when they bought NFL rights. It immediately put them on the same level as the other major networks and allowed all their other shows to be promoted during games.
    Kind of like how CBC uses hockey to promote the rest of their schedule? CBC is a distant last place behind CTV and Global in primetime, a distant last place behind CTV and Global's national news, and a distant last place behind CTV and Global's local news. CBC's horrible ratings are a perfect example of how little hockey helps in getting viewers to tune into your regular programming.

Rogers is doing the exact opposite of putting City on a level playing field with the other conventional networks. City is slashing their news budget and they practically eliminated themselves as a competitor for U.S. programming, only picking up 4 new shows other networks didn't want, while slashing 5 hours from their weeknight schedule. Hockey is their only focus now, FOX didn't purchase NFL rights and give up on everything else
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-06-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I think Rogers is the best fit for hockey
    Why is that exactly?!

TSN is the sports leader in Canada, they put out a higher quality product and have better on air talent- at least IMHO. To be the best, you have to beat the best and thus far Sportsnet is still in second place behind TSN.

they practically eliminated themselves as a competitor for U.S. programming, only picking up 4 new shows other networks didn't want,
    Good for them, it appears they finally realized that they can't compete against CTV & Global, their stronger, more powerful rivals. CTV & Global have been around a lot longer and have the rights to many long-running popular series, which puts City a distant third right from the start. As for new shows, the incumbents have more clout in Hollywood then lowly City does which means the only way Rogers/City would be able to acquire top quality shows is by outbidding CTV & Global. They already overpaid for hockey rights in order to get them away from TSN, if they over pay for the regular network programming then they might end up on the edge of financial ruin. Rogers should never have tried to compete with CTV & Global in the first place and probably never should have bought the Citytv network either.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    it also wont air in primetime in western Canada, including the 3 largest markets outside Toronto
    Why do you assume that out of the 30 existing NHL clubs, there will be only ONE game to be played on sundays, always from an eastern time zone arena ?

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    They already overpaid for hockey rights in order to get them away from TSN, if they over pay for the regular network programming then they might end up on the edge of financial ruin.
    Sports is different from scripted and unscripted television.

Sports, with the home team playing, will always pull in good ratings, year after year. It's a sure investment.

For scripted and unscripted shows, curious viewers will sample the pilot and decide if they like it or not, then it goes many ways : either its audience will catch up by the 3rd episode, or it has ok ratings until it gets some kind of media buzz (hello Netflix!) and gets a ratings boost for its next season premiere or gets cancelled along the way.

But what's important here is that, advertisers are the broadcaster's clients, not the viewers. Simsubbing is a financial important factor, and City just lacks presence in atlantic provinces and some other medium-size markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    I find it strange that Bell is buying the rights to Kimmel to put on Comedy, I get the idea that there isn't any room on CTV1 or 2, but still this is a waste of money seeing that Larry Wilmore is replacing Colbert timeslot and Bell already has the rights to the new show though it content agreement with Comedy Central.

As for Steven Colbert leaving his show, they've stated The Colbert Report will run throughout 2014, dunno if their calendar year for them ends in September or December, but he has hinted in interviews he'll be off the air for awhile until Letterman decided what date will be his last show.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Something profitable that brings in more viewers than their regular programming makes a lot of sense, but now Rogers is saying that hockey wont make money on conventional (probably because they over paid so much for it),

*sigh* I believe people call this phenomenon - LYING! Of course their going to say it won't make them any money on conventional stations. If it did, then the excuse to get out from can-con and news programming would fall flat. Knowing them, they probley found a way to hide any profits thought the Sportnet division alone

it also wont air in primetime in western Canada, including the 3 largest markets outside Toronto, which means they will have to air Can con filler there, and they are using it to lead-into a show that goes after a totally different audience.

They've always had regional blackouts for certain NHL games. It why Sportsnet has four different feeds (East, Ontario, West & Pacific) .

Yes, any additional games that won't fit on CIty (and/or vice versa)

Kind of like how CBC uses hockey to promote the rest of their schedule? CBC is a distant last place behind CTV and Global in primetime, a distant last place behind CTV and Global's national news, and a distant last place behind CTV and Global's local news. CBC's horrible ratings are a perfect example of how little hockey helps in getting viewers to tune into your regular programming.

CBC never used HNIC to just promote the rest of their schedule. It was their biggest cash cow in terms of advertising revenue on the network to make up years of cutbacks.

Rogers is doing the exact opposite of putting City on a level playing field with the other conventional networks. City is slashing their news budget and they practically eliminated themselves as a competitor for U.S. programming, only picking up 4 new shows other networks didn't want, while slashing 5 hours from their weeknight schedule.

To be fair, most of these new shows will end up on the chopping block before the start of 2015, most popular shows that CTV and Global currently own are legacy shows that have been on the air for an number of years now.

Hockey is their only focus now, FOX didn't purchase NFL rights and give up on everything else
    Yes, yes they have.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

[QUOTE=CDN Viewer;66220]

They spent billions to acquire the rights to hockey- do you seriously think that they are going to pay for those rights all by themselves?! Prepare to be saturated with everything hockey related, as Rogers will incorporate the NHL into anything and everything they own. I hope this strategy backfires on them, they over paid for these rights and now need to find ways to make money to pay for them thus the reason why they will be incorporating the NHL into all their assets, whether we like it or not. Our cable/satellite bills will probably be jacked up real soon as Rogers will be demanding huge increases in their fees for Sportsnet.
    I think it's going to backfire. They are not going to turn these people in hockey fans, just drive them away from Rogers.

I don't see them shutting City down unless say Bell decides to shut down CTV2 as it would make them look really bad and would IMO be an outright admission of failure.
    They shut down CityNews Channel. CTV2 is safe because Bell has aligned it so closely with CTV. The network on its own may lose money but if Bell shut it down it would have a major negative impact on the program spending and programming strategy of CTV. If Rogers shut down City, it would not have an impact on the rest of Rogers Media, it would mean Rogers wouldn't have a conventional network outlet to air U.S. programming they acquire, but City isn't giving them much U.S. programming now anyway.

As I have mentioned before, these people haven't got a clue what they are doing, they only know Sports and that is what they are focusing on. Also, I think Rogers believes that conventional television is on its death bead so they are doing the bare minimum to keep City going, waiting for it to die. If they have zero interest in operating the City network then I think they should look into selling it, not sure who would buy it but I am sure in the crazy media world a buyer would eventually appear.

On a related note, I think they should sell off the OMNI stations as this network has become one huge disaster for them. They have destroyed these stations with all the programming cuts and employee layoffs and now they trying to pull a fast one on the CRTC, trying to change the entire focus by applying for approval to reduce the amount of multicultural programming they air. These are MULTICULTURAL stations, if you are going to reduce the amount of multicultural programing you air then they won't be multicultural stations anymore. I think the Lombardi family (the folks behind CHIN radio), would be the perfect owners for the 2 Toronto stations. They are pioneers in multicultural radio and television in Canada and would do a great job operating these stations. The launch of all these ethnic specialty channels has resulted in lower viewership for the multicultural stations but I think there is still enough of an audience to sustain at least one station in Toronto as well as the Vancouver station- the rest could be shut down.
    I'm not sure who would buy City, but I do agree that they could probably find a buyer for OMNI. If someone was willing to launch a new ethnic station in Montreal, they shouldn't have a problem finding someone to operate ethnic stations in Vancouver and Toronto. Calgary and Edmonton are basically already shut down as they produce no local programming

Why do you assume that out of the 30 existing NHL clubs, there will be only ONE game to be played on sundays, always from an eastern time zone arena ?
    Because that’s what they have scheduled!? 2 games will only air on “occasion”, which means most Sunday nights City stations in 3 of the 4 largest markets will be airing cancon filler in primetime.

Sports is different from scripted and unscripted television.

Sports, with the home team playing, will always pull in good ratings, year after year. It's a sure investment.
    NHL hockey is the exact opposite of a "sure investment". How much success Rogers has with hockey will depend on something they have absolutely no control over every year: how Canadian teams perform and how far they make it to the playoffs. Ratings for regular programming are far more consistent than ratings for NHL hockey. The “home team” isn’t going to be playing every Sunday night. Also, if the U.S. programming does poorly, it gets cancelled by the U.S. network and the Canadian network no longer has to pay for it. Rogers is stuck with hockey for 12 years, regardless of ratings. And while City's costs for hockey will increase next year, CTV and Global are getting U.S. programming at lower prices as Rogers is no longer bidding for content. For the first time in years, the cost of U.S. programming has gone DOWN. The costs of sports is just going to keep going up.

For scripted and unscripted shows, curious viewers will sample the pilot and decide if they like it or not, then it goes many ways : either its audience will catch up by the 3rd episode, or it has ok ratings until it gets some kind of media buzz (hello Netflix!) and gets a ratings boost for its next season premiere or gets cancelled along the way.

But what's important here is that, advertisers are the broadcaster's clients, not the viewers.
    Advertisers are going to love City's 3 hour hockey broadcast from 7:00PM to 10:00PM on Sunday nights. But they are not going to love the lack of hit U.S. programming on the Rogers schedule. Rogers could reach those advertisers by putting hockey on Sportsnet with regular programming on City. Also, the whole point of pleasing advertisers is to make money, which again, Rogers has said City wont be able to do with hockey.

Simsubbing is a financial important factor, and City just lacks presence in atlantic provinces and some other medium-size markets.
    Yes, the simulcast is important (although you appear to think it's more important than it actually is, suggesting Global start shows at bizarre times just to simulcast with CBS, and assuming that a simulcast airing with no coverage in Ontario is better than a PRE-Release airing with coverage in Ontario), but City has the ability to simulcast. Name one medium sized market outside of the Maritimes where City has no simulcasts but Global and CTV do.

I'm not sure why you are trying to spin this as a good thing for City. It's not good for City to not be a competitor for news or U.S. programming. It's not a good thing that the only valuable content (hockey) the network has does not make money for the network, and it's especially not a good thing if the only valuable thing the network has is something that can easily be moved to a Rogers specialty channel where it could actually make money. Rogers purchased nhl rights to benefit Rogers and Sportsnet, all City is doing is helping to cover the costs.

Last edited by TVViewer; 06-09-2014 at 09:35 AM.

[QUOTE=Mayhem;66274]

*sigh* I believe people call this phenomenon - LYING! Of course their going to say it won't make them any money on conventional stations. If it did, then the excuse to get out from can-con and news programming would fall flat. Knowing them, they probley found a way to hide any profits thought the Sportnet division alone
    They have no reason to lie as they aren't asking for any changes to their licence. The problem is Rogers didn't buy hockey for the best interest of City, they bought it for the best interest of Sportsnet. Sportsnet can charge higher subscriber fees to cover the cost of overpaying for rights, City can't do that. If Rogers is lying and hockey makes a profit for City, then that's great. It's great for City, and it's great for CTV and Global as they don't have City as a competitor for U.S. programming. However, if Rogers is telling the truth about hockey only breaking even at best for conventional, then the future of City is not very good as they are giving up everything of value in return for something that wont turn a profit.

They've always had regional blackouts for certain NHL games. It why Sportsnet has four different feeds (East, Ontario, West & Pacific) .
    What does this have to do with City stations in 3 of the 4 largest markets airing cancon filler instead of hockey on most Sunday nights?

Yes, any additional games that won't fit on CIty (and/or vice versa)
    So they will split the audience even more.

CBC never used HNIC to just promote the rest of their schedule. It was their biggest cash cow in terms of advertising revenue on the network to make up years of cutbacks.

It's too expensive to be a cash cow. But my point was hockey has not helped CBC's horrible ratings. Donovan's Monkey is just going to disagree with whatever I say so i'm not surprised at his response but even Rogers probably doesn't think hockey is going to result in higher ratings for the rest of the City schedule. They may say this at their upfronts to advertisers, but it's just not realistic. The proof is CBC’s horrible ratings. The best shot they had was scheduling something hockey fans would enjoy after hockey on Sunday nights, and they scheduled a low rated female skewing soap.

To be fair, most of these new shows will end up on the chopping block before the start of 2015, most popular shows that CTV and Global currently own are legacy shows that have been on the air for an number of years now.
    Global launched 3 new hit dramas last season. It doesn't matter how many new shows fail, you still need to buy new shows to replace your returning hits. Also, you are much more likely to fail with new shows if you only buy new shows the other networks didn't want. That's what City did last season and they had more new shows cancelled than any other network, they also had less new shows renewed than any other network (only 3, and out of those 3, 1 was dropped, while the other 1 is so low rated its not even on their fall schedule)

Last edited by TVViewer; 06-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.