Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    It's a known fact that any unsold "paying" advertisements spots (15-18 minutes per hour) are replaced with the promo for another show on the same channel, on another channel by its owner, or a product from its owners.

Are you even watching City sometimes ?

I mean, c'mon, how many times per hour can they air the same "Next Issue" promo ?
    http://brioux.tv/2014/04/worst-comme...er-next-issue/
    How many time per hour can they promote any of Rogers cellphone-related commercials ? I guess the same amount of ads for Bell Fibe on CTV, regardless of the show and time... and I don't see any ads for Shaw Direct (and their lying 210 HD channels) on CTV or Citytv... I wonder why.
    It's not a known fact that Rogers doesn't pay City for any of the commercials broadcast on the station. Regardless, my point is that it's not a benefit. Rogers doesn't benefit from the station they own having unsold advertising slots.

Concerning Omni, its licenced as a local ethnic channel. With over 150 ethnic channels on cable/satellite and low interest by Rogers to serve the community, Toronto-based ethnic companies should band together and take it over as a cooperative just like ICI (CFHD) Montreal.
    There was a rumour of an offer from interested parties but that management turned it down.
    "Frankly, you can take a good show and kill it by negligent scheduling and you can take the same show and make it a hit by brilliant scheduling. It's a real craft, and that wasn't practised much here because in private broadcasting up until now, the programmer's job was mostly to choose what to simulcast. The programming is effectively done in Los Angeles."
    - Ivan Fecan, Playback, January 3, 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

I don't think Blue Ant Media and Torstar are stupid. It's not like the Citytv network needs just a few small changes and everything will be profitable. If Blue Ant Media wants to expand their programming they can launch a new specialty channel, and Torstar will need its deep pockets for its dying newspaper business.

I would love Rogers to sell the Citytv network to any company that would rebuild their news operations, I'm just being realistic here. Expecting any company to just buy a financial disaster and invest a bunch of money into it is not realistic, especially since it operates under the broken advertising only business model.

Shaw didn't just buy Global, they bought Canwest broadcasting which included extremely profitable specialty channels. That being said, Global was never even close to the same position as City. Global was not a financial wreck and programming Global had was far more valuable. Global also had far stronger news operations than Citytv, yes Shaw made some investments, but they didn't have to re-build Global's news operations, anyone who buys City would need to make significant investments and basically launch news operations from scratch. Global also had far more of an existing audience for their news programming, CityNews really doesn't have an existing audience outside Toronto.

Sun News Network is an financial disaster; Citytv needs someone who has experience with television outside of sports broadcasting to make it work again. The problem with Citytv, like CTV and Global to an extend, is they apply the one size fits all method in their programming, assuming that if BT and CityNews format works in Toronto, it will work else where. It's why Shaw Media has The Morning Show in Toronto, instead of Global News Morning.

My point is, they are already trying to sell them something losing millions of dollars each year,

They we're losing millions when they bought it, remember too that CTVgm wanted to keep Citytv before they where forced to keep the A-Channels. Even then the stations had value, and they still do, it's just going to need a lot of work and experience to turn it around.

for them to then also demand they give up advertising revenue for free commercials is ridiculous.

I think you've misunderstood. It wouldn't be free if Rogers deducts the sales price in exchange for guarantee placements. The income for the stations new owner will be through the reduced sales price and Rogers can that write off that reduction as advertising expense.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Sun News Network is an financial disaster; Citytv needs someone who has experience with television outside of sports broadcasting to make it work again. The problem with Citytv, like CTV and Global to an extend, is they apply the one size fits all method in their programming, assuming that if BT and CityNews format works in Toronto, it will work else where. It's why Shaw Media has The Morning Show in Toronto, instead of Global News Morning.

They we're losing millions when they bought it, remember too that CTVgm wanted to keep Citytv before they where forced to keep the A-Channels. Even then the stations had value, and they still do, it's just going to need a lot of work and experience to turn it around.

I think you've misunderstood. It wouldn't be free if Rogers deducts the sales price in exchange for guarantee placements. The income for the stations new owner will be through the reduced sales price and Rogers can that write off that reduction as advertising expense.

The main issue is the broken advertising only OTA model. Even if all that hard work and investment pays off, it's just not realistic for them to turn a profit under this model. CTV and Global are very established, a competitive 3rd place behind these networks is the best a new owner could expect, and CTV and Global both struggle to turn a profit. The specialty model is the viable model and pretty much anything these companies wanted to do with City could be done under the specialty model. CTV wanted a second conventional network to air programming, and Citytv was stronger than A-Channel so they obviously wanted Citytv. I don't see anything on Citytv that a new owner would want big enough to offset the fact that it's losing millions of dollars operating under a broken business model.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

CTV's fall schedule does have The Colbert Report scheduled weeknights at 2:35AM. It must be airing on some Bell channel sometime earlier though, unless they get it in PRE-Release the earliest Comedy can show it is 1:35AM. It's not on the CTV Two schedule even though the 12:30AM time slot is available.
    CTV looks like they have this week started showing Colbert at 2:36am(after Conan), while zap2it has The Comedy Network showing Colbert at 12:37am (after Kimmel) starting next week.
    Colbert has said his present show is continuing until some time in December.

Fox moved tonight's airing of Utopia from 8pm to 9pm, affecting tonight's Citytv primetime schedule.

Citytv's website ain't updated to reflect the change, while Zap2It lists Utopia in simulcast at 9 with Pakage Deal season premiere repeat at 8pm...

Edit : Website updated, it's the 2nd season premiere rerun. Also, tonight is the last Jimmy Kimmel Live for Citytv.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 09-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    City Fall Schedule

Two and a Half Men - Weeknights at 10:30pm

FOX Buffalo has moved their broadcast from 10:30PM to 11:00PM to avoid the City simulcast (OMNI's 7:30PM simulcast however is safe for now). They have instead scheduled Hot In Cleveland for 10:30PM weeknights, which CTV Two has now took the opportunity to simulcast.

A few days ago, I checked the Canadiens schedule (http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm ), and noticed that on Monday Oct 13, the game will air on CITYM (as wel as RDS)... and yup, upcoming TV schedule for that day indicates that the game will air on City Montreal, bumping "Scorpion" to 11pm.

Looks like Tuesday Oct 21 and 28 will be affected, but will most likely be baseball nights on Fox, so minimal consequences, then tuesday Nov 20, in the middle of november sweeps, and next, thursday dec 18, most likely reruns or xmas specials.

As far as I know, Brooklyn Nine-Nine will be airing in post-release Mondays at 8:00pm until 2 Broke Girls returns in late October/early November.
    Huh. It was a good plan on paper, but shortsighted programming managers at City decided to shelf Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

- On sunday October 12 at 7pm ET (4pm PT), there's a hockey game (Leafs vs. Rangers), that leads on the east coast to a simulcast of Revenge (your favorite service provider will screwup if hockey goes overtime). For the west coast, City opted for Storage Wars at 7pm, Liquidator at 7:30, Package Deal at 8, Meet the Family at 8:30pm (while 9-9 airs on Fox, missing a simulcast opportunity), Murdoch (him again!) at 9pm and Revenge at 10pm followed at 11pm by... you guessed it, Murdoch !

- As previously mentionned, on monday October 13 at 7:30pm, Citytv Montreal airs a hockey game (Canadiens vs. Lightning) while the rest of the network stays on regular programming...
    - Since Mom has been bumped to thursdays until january, Citytv will need a companion show for 2 Broke Girls. Airing reruns of Mom until then while shelfing 9-9 is a stupid idea, and it doesn't look like there will be any sunday night baseball games this year on Fox.

Oh well...

But now that Utopia is gone from Tuesday at 8pm, they have an hour there, maybe comedies including Brooklyn will be there...And CTV doesn`t have space for MasterChef Junior now.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    But now that Utopia is gone from Tuesday at 8pm, they have an hour there, maybe comedies including Brooklyn will be there...And CTV doesn`t have space for MasterChef Junior now.
    Don't overestimate the programming head of Citytv, who prefers shelfing shows than airing them out of simulcast in the next 7 days. Murdoch will be happy to fill in the tuesday 8pm slot.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    But now that Utopia is gone from Tuesday at 8pm, they have an hour there, maybe comedies including Brooklyn will be there..
    Why do that when you can broadcast the same episode of a trashy reality show for the 3rd time in primetime for the week?

You would think that after giving up on scheduling new programming weeknights at 10:00PM and with hockey (or cancon filler in BC and Alberta) instead of regular programming in primetime on Sundays they would at least be able to schedule 2 hours of new programming each weeknight, but it's only October and they are already airing an hour of repeats both Mondays at 8:00PM and Tuesdays at 8:00PM.

What makes this decision even more bizarre is how they are giving up the opportunity to simulcast B99 with FOX Sundays in BC and Alberta. They could easily air it in simulcast for BC and Alberta and then air it in POST-Release on Tuesdays in the rest of Canada (and air repeats of Package Deal Tuesday nights in BC & Alberta to ensure the network has an equal amount of primetime cancon.)

My only guess for why they are putting it on the shelf is that they are saving it for 2015 as they will likely have even more programming holes by then since many of their fall reality series will have ended and they will need replacement programming for Wednesdays at 8:00PM and Thursdays at 8:00PM, and will likely need replacement programming for Fridays at 8:00PM and Fridays at 9:00PM as well.

Sunday
    7-10 p.m. NHL: Hometown Hockey *NEW to City*
    10 p.m. Revenge (s)

It appears City has now scheduled the Sunday Night Hockey broadcast to run from 7:00PM to 10:05PM ET, throwing away any chance of simulcast, and ensuring that female skewing programming is the lead out of male skewing hockey both Saturdays and Sundays on City.

I highly doubt many hockey fans will be willing to jump into a primetime soap in the middle of its 4th season, and I don't think many fans of the soap will be very happy to sit through 5 minutes of post-game hockey commentary (at least they have ABC starting the show at the top of the hour) They are far more likely to annoy viewers instead of turning them into hockey fans, just like they are more likely to annoy consumers by including hockey propaganda in OMNI News, The Shopping Channel, and Rogers lifestyle and parenting magazines. Hockey has a very loyal fanbase, that should be the focus, not trying to turn people who have zero interest in hockey into fans by forcing soap opera fans to watch while waiting for their show to start or having media outlets who would normally never cover hockey all of a sudden devote resources to covering it.

Why do that when you can broadcast the same episode of a trashy reality show for the 3rd time in primetime for the week?

You would think that after giving up on scheduling new programming weeknights at 10:00PM and with hockey (or cancon filler in BC and Alberta) instead of regular programming in primetime on Sundays they would at least be able to schedule 2 hours of new programming each weeknight, but it's only October and they are already airing an hour of repeats both Mondays at 8:00PM and Tuesdays at 8:00PM.

What makes this decision even more bizarre is how they are giving up the opportunity to simulcast B99 with FOX Sundays in BC and Alberta. They could easily air it in simulcast for BC and Alberta and then air it in POST-Release on Tuesdays in the rest of Canada (and air repeats of Package Deal Tuesday nights in BC & Alberta to ensure the network has an equal amount of primetime cancon.)

My only guess for why they are putting it on the shelf is that they are saving it for 2015 as they will likely have even more programming holes by then since many of their fall reality series will have ended and they will need replacement programming for Wednesdays at 8:00PM and Thursdays at 8:00PM, and will likely need replacement programming for Fridays at 8:00PM and Fridays at 9:00PM as well.
    Here's the latest update to City's fall lineup, effective as of October 7: http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten...dule-Oct-7.pdf

It looks like The Bachelor Canada is permanently bound for Tuesdays at the end of this month once Mom returns to its new Thursday night timeslot (in addition to airing on Mondays after 2 Broke Girls and another episode Thursday 8:00pm). Clearly, it's going to get trounced against the competition, including NCIS, new hit series The Flash, and The Voice.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Meet the Family (which had been airing new episodes on Saturdays) have currently been shelved.

For consistency, I would have scheduled Package Deal to Mondays (after 2 Broke Girls) or Thursdays (before new episodes of Mom) as part of a multicam sitcom block, but then the latter would not be beneficial at all with Big Bang returning there. Brooklyn Nine-Nine would have been a perfect fit on Tuesdays to go with the singlecam sitcoms New Girl and The Mindy Project, while Meet the Family (CanCon) could have found a timeslot on Thursdays (leading into Mom) or Fridays (following Utopia).

Come midseason, The Bachelor will take over Mondays, pushing 2 Broke Girls and Scorpion (waiting for a full season pickup) to new timeslots. Also bound to move are The Middle (back to Wednesdays), and also there's new drama Backstrom along with the final seasons of returning shows Glee, Cougar Town, and Parks & Recreation. Scandal will be heading on a hiatus as well.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Meet the Family (which had been airing new episodes on Saturdays) have currently been shelved.
    (...)
    Come midseason, The Bachelor will take over Mondays, pushing 2 Broke Girls and Scorpion (waiting for a full season pickup) to new timeslots. Also bound to move are The Middle (back to Wednesdays), and also there's new drama Backstrom along with the final seasons of returning shows Glee, Cougar Town, and Parks & Recreation. Scandal will be heading on a hiatus as well.
    Repeating myself, Citytv is scheduled by morons.

At the beginning of september, they dumped a simulcast opportunity of America's Next Top Model fridays 9pm to saturday afternoon so they can schedule Package Deal there, and now shelfing B-9-9 sundays because of hockey. Mondays and thursdays 8-9 slots have 1 new episode and 1 rerun. Obviously, a Global TV scheduler would have figured the obvious.

I was optimist during summer that, with hockey filling up their cancon quotas (and Bachelor Canada repeated 3 times), they wouldn't shelf too many shows, but they did that just like last season. We might see some burnoff during spring extending to summer...

OMNI Fall 2014 Updates

OMNI has also released the latest schedule updates for Fall 2014:

OMNI 1 (Ontario): http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten.../03/OMNI-1.pdf
    OMNI 2 (Ontario): http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten.../03/OMNI-2.pdf
    OMNI BC: http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten...03/OMNI-BC.pdf
    OMNI Alberta: http://www.rogersmedia.com/wp-conten...03/OMNI-AB.pdf

It appears that both OMNI 1 and OMNI 2 swapped formats this time around. OMNI 1 (the original station CFMT) has scrapped all syndicated and acquired network programming. Most if not all of their multilingual programs are now airing weekday mornings and spread throughout the weekends, while afternoons and evenings feature a combination of the daily Italian newscasts, various soap operas (telenovelas), documentary reruns as well as those of the Signature series. Also one hour devoted to The Shopping Channel. OMNI 2 is now airing both of the latenight CBS talk shows, as well as Thursday Night Football (until the end of this month). In terms of syndicated programs, they only have one full hour of Two and a Half Men weeknights at 7:00pm, while the rest of their daytime lineup is similar to that of OMNI 1 with newscasts, some lifestyle shows and dramas. The big change on Saturdays is that they'll be airing Hockey NIght in Canada (Punjabi) and the weekly Super Cinema presentation moves over to Sundays.

All other remaining syndicated programming rights owned by Rogers - sitcoms like The Office, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock and Modern Family have been spread out between City, FX and FXX. Entertainment newsmagazine show Extra airs latenights on City.
    Access Hollywood Live was dropped - the regular half-hour edition has returned to Canada on CHCH.

The rest we already know: Rachael Ray moved to Global, Judge Judy, America's Funniest Videos and The Biggest Loser moved to yesTV (formerly known as CTS).

Finally, daytime talk show Maury (which aired on City and OMNI last season) has no Canadian broadcaster, joining the likes of other similar shows like Jerry Springer and Steve Wilkos, the latter of which has never been picked up here throughout its run. Perhaps the media here in Canada finally got it right when it comes to proper taste for daytime talk shows.

I figured Rogers could have picked up Queen Latifah after it was dropped by Global, but my guess is they decided to drop daytime talk shows altogether from their lineup...

With little to no warning, City aired the latest two episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Tuesday this week, in place of New Girl and The Mindy Project (Both shows were pre-empted on FOX for the last two weeks due to the World Series).

In the upcoming month and leading into the holiday season, more timeslots should be opening up, due to the following:
    The Bachelor Canada will be wrapping up with its season finale on Tuesday, November 11, while Scandal airs its fall finale on Thursday, November 20.

Package Deal has now moved to Mondays 8:30pm between 2 Broke Girls and Scorpion. A full hour of Mom leads off Thursday nights starting this week, with reruns followed by new episodes airing in simulcast with CBS. Fridays consist of FOX reality show Utopia followed by what appears to be reruns of 2 Broke Girls (which is already running five nights a week) and new episodes of The Middle (in post-release).

More scheduling shifts are due midseason, including the return of The Bachelor on Monday, January 5 with a special three-hour premiere.

Even though City did not pick up many shows for the fall, the ones they acquired for this fall have been locked for a full season, including Scorpion (which is their only show to make the Top 30 this fall, through the first four weeks of the season) and Black-ish. Utopia has been a colossal dud, while they still have Backstrom waiting to launch midseason.
    Last edited by lostjon; 10-30-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Corrected statement regarding Scorpion in Numeris Top 30

With little to no warning, City aired the latest two episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Tuesday this week, in place of New Girl and The Mindy Project (Both shows were pre-empted on FOX for the last two weeks due to the World Series).
    City Montreal had a 9pm Canadiens-Flames hockey game last tuesday, pushing Brooklyn-9-9 to 11:30pm and 12am. The game eventually went overtime, so Brooklyn aired 12:03am to 1am (they managed somehow to wrap it up at 1am instead of 1:03am).

As for Scorpion, it made the Top 30 for all of the 4 weeks of its run released by Numeris. Last week episode had Hetty from NCIS:LA as a guest, I expect more "mini-crossovers" coming up, Global is probably hitting themselves on the wall considering none of the Sleepy Hollow season 2 episodes in simulcast so far has hit the Top 30...
    Last edited by InMontreal; 10-30-2014 at 08:54 AM.

City Montreal had a 9pm Canadiens-Flames hockey game last tuesday, pushing Brooklyn-9-9 to 11:30pm and 12am. The game eventually went overtime, so Brooklyn aired 12:03am to 1am (they managed somehow to wrap it up at 1am instead of 1:03am).
    Less commercial time, I'm guessing.

As for Scorpion, it made the Top 30 for all of the 4 weeks of its run released by Numeris. Last week episode had Hetty from NCIS:LA as a guest, I expect more "mini-crossovers" coming up, Global is probably hitting themselves on the wall considering none of the Sleepy Hollow season 2 episodes in simulcast so far has hit the Top 30...
    When you're right, you're right. Not sure how I ended up overlooking the figures for weeks 3 and 4. And I think this was even acknowledged on some other post on this forum...

[QUOTE=InMontreal;67433]

As for Scorpion, it made the Top 30 for all of the 4 weeks of its run released by Numeris. Last week episode had Hetty from NCIS:LA as a guest, I expect more "mini-crossovers" coming up, Global is probably hitting themselves on the wall

It would be a really poor decision for Global to pick up a new untested drama when they already own the rights to a hit show in the time slot and don't have room to air it

considering none of the Sleepy Hollow season 2 episodes in simulcast so far has hit the Top 30
    Not true. It doesn't make the top 30 in total viewers every week but your claim that no season 2 episodes have made that list is wrong.