Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: CTS Fall 2014

CTS Fall 2014

For the first time this fall, CTS is becoming the beneficiary of many shows that were dropped from other Canadian networks. Several posts have already been made under the CHCH thread and thus a new one has been opened.

CTS is a channel available OTA in Ontario and Alberta, and elsewhere on digital cable and satellite.

Here is the link to some of the messages already posted:
    http://discuss.channelcanada.com/sho...ll-2014-Lineup

Quick recap:

New to CTS This Fall / Midseason

Wheel of Fortune (syndicated) Dropped by CHCH)
    Jeopardy! (syndicated) (Dropped by CHCH)
    American Idol (FOX) (Dropped by CTV)
    The X Factor UK
    America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC) (Dropped by Rogers - OMNI)
    The Biggest Loser (NBC) (Dropped by Rogers - OMNI)
    Judge Judy (syndicated) (Dropped by Rogers)
    Hot Bench (new to syndication)
    Everybody Loves Raymond (reruns in syndication)

Source:
    http://www.marketingmag.ca/uncategor...is-fall-115857

http://www.ctstv.com/saleskit.php

Also a post from Bill Brioux: http://brioux.tv/2014/06/cts-bows-before-idol/

Any related posts can be continued on this thread.
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-25-2014 at 01:29 PM.

I don't get CTS with my antenna (I got it for 1 second a month ago thanks to the tropo effect?), but my Mother can get it with hers (her antenna points in a better direction for it, but she can't get all the US channels that I get).

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how much content CTS lets us stream from its own website (even though there are other online sources for those shows), and if the X Factor UK episodes will be broadcast the same week that they air in the UK. The Larry King Now episodes that CTS airs are way behind the Hulu ones, but since The X Factor UK is a talent competition, I assume that it will air them the same week that the UK broadcasts them.

It appears that CTS has a good relationship (money talks) with Freemantle Media, so perhaps CTS will also eventually add the UK version of Britain's Got Talent to its lineup. Unless Rogers having the rights to the US version will derail that possibility.

I wonder if CTS will be the only North American channel to carry The X Factor UK (I'll be watching for the return of singer/judge Cheryl Cole to the show).
    Last edited by PokerFace; 06-25-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added the last sentence
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

CTS adding lifestyle series

Toronto and L.A.-based producer-distributor Tricon Films & Television has made sales in Asia, Europe, Canada and New Zealand for a slate of lifestyle series, including Donut Showdown, Extreme Collectors (pictured) and Decked Out.

Canada’s CTS – Crossroads Television acquired a slate of series, including the 6 x 30-minute series Building Family, about a son taking over the family construction business; the 91 x 30-minute home reno series Save Us From Our House; the 13 x 30-minute show Making House;and the 39 x 30-minute garden show Green Force.

http://realscreen.com/2014/06/11/tri...-series-sales/

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    It appears that CTS has a good relationship (money talks) with Freemantle Media, so perhaps CTS will also eventually add the UK version of Britain's Got Talent to its lineup. Unless Rogers having the rights to the US version will derail that possibility.
    If Rogers ends up dropping the rights to America's Got Talent as of next season, and there's a good chance it could happen, I would not be surprised to see CTS swoop in and acquire the rights to the show, along with Britain's Got Talent.

OK, question, where did they get all that money ? Back in august 2011, they upgraded their 5 transmitters to digital (evaluated at 500k each), and now they went on a buying spree. I understand advertisers would be reluctant in having their products shown on a religious channel, so I'm wondering if this stunt is a strategic investment that will attract advertisers to them. OK, it's an OTA network so they have simsub opportunities in Hamilton (entire golden shoe?), Ottawa, London, Edmonton and Calgary.

Religious channels, and programming, mainly interest baby boomers who are now in their 50s, so the WoF and Jeopardy pickup makes sense. Judge Judy is surprisingly the most watched syndicated show :
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...4-2014/263208/
    and the highest paid TV star in the world (estimated $47 million per year) :
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...star-in-world/

I don't see much "religious" theme in what CTS acquired, but hey, it's one of the perks of running a conventional station rather than a specialty channel.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I don't get CTS with my antenna (I got it for 1 second a month ago thanks to the tropo effect?), but my Mother can get it with hers (her antenna points in a better direction for it, but she can't get all the US channels that I get).
    I get CTS, along with all the U.S. and Toronto stations via OTA, but I always hid CTS as just fliping passed is enough to waste anyones time.

The Larry King Now episodes that CTS airs are way behind the Hulu ones
    Looking at their website, their way behind the YouTube versions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    OK, question, where did they get all that money ? Back in august 2011, they upgraded their 5 transmitters to digital (evaluated at 500k each), and now they went on a buying spree.
    Well, since Crossroads Christian Communications, who owns CTS, is listed as an charitable non-profit corporation, they probably get loads of money from individuals and groups who dump money on them for use as an tax write off.

I understand advertisers would be reluctant in having their products shown on a religious channel, so I'm wondering if this stunt is a strategic investment that will attract advertisers to them. OK, it's an OTA network so they have simsub opportunities in Hamilton (entire golden shoe?), Ottawa, London, Edmonton and Calgary.

This is without an doubt an investment tactic to bring in new viewers.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

I don't see much "religious" theme in what CTS acquired, but hey, it's one of the perks of running a conventional station rather than a specialty channel.
    It's similar to what Vision has become as a specialty channel. During the daytime and on weekends, their programming is religious and caters to different groups. Weekday afternoons, we see more secular content, including acquired dramas and sitcoms, then during primetime, a little bit of everything including original series, documentaries and movies. Far from what it was in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

After looking at the list of shows they've acquired for next season, you have to give credit to CTS for picking out shows that not only fit their demographic but also serve as a great counterprogramming alternative to the other networks, of course, coming at the expense of Rogers. And for sure, this is a great way to bring in new viewers - especially with some of the shows they have being available to air in simulcast, all while maintaining their mandate of being a channel for wholesome, family-friendly programming. Locally, they will be competing with CHCH, where news will continue to be a strong performer for them.

On an interesting note, the company that handles sales and marketing for CTS, Group of Seven Media, also does the same for the CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vermont (WCAX).

http://www.groupofsevenmedia.ca/tvstations.html
    Last edited by lostjon; 06-25-2014 at 07:48 PM.

YouTube and Hulu have the latest Larry King Now episodes released within a few hours of each other. However, VPN or DNS trickery is necessary to view the most current episodes.

I assume that there's probably a 98% certainty that Rogers will eventually dump America's Got Talent.

YouTube and Hulu have the latest Larry King Now episodes released within a few hours of each other. However, VPN or DNS trickery is necessary to view the most current episodes.
    I didn't think it was airing in Canada, I remember reading the YouTube content was for international viewers who didn't have access to Ora.TV and Hula which lead me to believe no one bought the right up here.

Although, I find the YouTube channel updates are sporadic; some days they update the full episodes right away after the previews are posted, other it takes weeks before it shows up.

Larry King's YouTube channel isn't blocking me as a Canadian right now, so perhaps only some of the links from other sources get blocked.

Today's Tony Goldwyn episode on Hulu, isn't ready for YouTube, but it should appear there tomorrow.

I finally got CTS to work properly with my indoor antenna (44%-52% signal quality- works fine for now, but only works in one position by my window).

I guess God works in mysterious ways. Amen. :cool2:

I usually pull in CTS around 72%=80% signal strength, only CTV2 repeaters and WBBZ-DT are the only two stations I can't pull in on a regular basis

American Idol got dropped, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by View View Post
    American Idol got dropped, wow.
    Huh ?!?!?!?!
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

It did?
    American Idol is still listed on the yesTV website for a January 2015 debut.
    https://www.yestv.com/shows

American Idol (FOX) (Dropped by CTV)
    I assume he's shocked that it was dropped by CTV.

Larry King Now is obviously not airing on YesTV, but it is available on RTTV (on many cable systems) and Ora.tv ... as well as Hulu.com (VPN/DNS trickery required for viewing outside of the USA).

I can no longer find the brand new, full episode content for Larry King Now on YouTube (and whatever full episodes appear there, they are often very late).

Both the Ora.tv and RT.com Larry King Now episodes can be viewed by Canadians without any trickery required. Some Ora.tv content does require VPN/DNS trickery, but it's not necessary for the Larry King or even William Shatner content:

http://www.ora.tv/larrykingnow/playlist/allepisodes
    [Most up-to-date Larry King Now content]

https://www.rt.com/shows/larry-king-now/
    [Note: Although some episodes are listed as short clips, most (if not all?) are actually full episodes that will appear once you click the links]

http://www.ora.tv/brownbagwinetasting
    [Shatner's Wine Tasting series]

http://www.ora.tv/brownbagwinetastin...0_6uirsbsjbc54
    [Shatner's Wine Tasting series -- Brandi Glanville ... pretty in pink ]