Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

CTS rebranding to yesTV

I suppose the rebranding comes at a good time especially with the shows they have acquired for next season and also marks an attempt to distance itself from just being simply an OTA Christian-based, religious channel.

For now, the CTS website is still up and running.

However the link below redirects you to the rebranded site coming this fall:
    http://www.ctstv.com/saleskit
    Last edited by lostjon; 08-08-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Corrected brand lettering

Looks like CHEK is going to join the YES team. I saw X Factor UK and The Biggest Loser is on their Programming List.

http://www.cheknews.ca/programming/x-factor-uk/

http://www.cheknews.ca/programming/the-biggest-loser/

I wonder if CTS will run into a trademark dispute with YES Network in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by swan_ch View Post
    Looks like CHEK is going to join the YES team
    This makes a lot of sense especially if CHEK is paying very little for this programming in exchange for airing Crossroads national advertising. Crossroads is going to have way more success selling advertising for this programming with access to the Vancouver EM, and CHEK benefits from having something popular on their schedule aside from local news.

Although if I was a smaller network I would be pretty concerned that Crossroads now has access to simulcasts in the 4 largest PPM markets (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton). I doubt Channel Zero is very thrilled about Crossroads new programming pickups and expanding to the Vancouver market.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

[PR] Say "Yes" to YES TV - YES TV Set to Launch This Fall

Say "Yes" to YES TV - YES TV Set to Launch This Fall

August 12, 2014

[BURLINGTON, ONTARIO - August 11, 2014]. YES TV is the newest TV brand to make its Canadian debut with an all-new look and a dramatically different programming line-up. American Idol, X Factor UK, Biggest Loser, America's Funniest Home Videos, Wheel of Fortune, JEOPARDY!, Judge Judy, and Hot Bench will all be calling YES TV their exclusive, new Canadian home!

From highly competitive talent competitions to inspiring reality TV shows to spirited game shows, YES TV is all about positive, quality entertainment with a contemporary, global, and family-friendly focus. YES TV will encourage people to "say yes," embracing positivity and approaching the world with an affirmative position.

Dr. John Hull, CEO, remarked that he is "thrilled to launch our new brand, YES TV. In a culture that is so often marked by negativity, YES TV values positivity, affirming individuals, families, and communities, and encouraging them to "say yes to being" along with us at YES TV." Dr. Hull shared that he "could not be any more excited about the future of YES TV and the possibilities of this new brand, particularly with our unprecedented fall line-up."

Viewers can anticipate YES TV to launch on their local cable network September 1st.

For more information on how to say "yes" to YES TV, please visit yestv.com or contact:

Heather Simmonds
    Director of Corporate Communications,
    YES TV
    Phone: 905-332-6400 ext. 2265
    E-mail: hsimmonds@yestv.com
    1295 North Service Road
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7R 4M2
    -30-

ABOUT CROSSROADS TELEVISION SYSTEM (CTS)
    For over 15 years, CTS has been creating television, and other powerful visual media, that educates, entertains, and inspires through positive, superior quality content.(i) CTS consists of three, basic, over-the-air conventional stations(ii); two local stations, located in Calgary and Edmonton, and one regional broadcaster, located in Ontario, with the primary region being the greater Toronto area with re-broadcast transmitters in Kitchener, London, and Ottawa.(iii) CTS is available in 6.94 million homes across Canada.(iv) CTS airs a range of entertaining and inspirational programs including faith and values content. Effective, August 2014, CTS was officially rebranded as YES TV. CTS remains the legal entity associated with the YES TV brand and is governed by the CRTC.
    (i) Crossroads Television System. Historicals.
    (ii) CRTC License Renewal. Crossroads Television Systems. January 2014.
    (iii) Industry Canada. Location of CTS Transmitters.
    (iv) MediaStats. Custom Subscriber Report. January 2014.

Source: http://ctstv.com/news?release=58

CHEK TV is not becoming part of the YEStv network; they are only purchasing some of the shows from YEStv. Not sure if they are still going to get some programs from Channel Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    CHEK TV is not becoming part of the YEStv network; they are only purchasing some of the shows from YEStv. Not sure if they are still going to get some programs from Channel Zero.

I wasn't implying that they are becoming a full 24/7 Yes TV station, but they will be airing all of yes TV's newly acquired programs (they are not just airing the few yes TV shows listed on their website)

I'm not sure if they will continue to air some Channel Zero programming, but Channel Zero can always go to JoyTV Vancouver if CHEK pulls out. The concern for Channel Zero should be that yes TV is becoming a very viable alternative to CHCH for national advertisers looking for low cost ad rates in primetime. Not only is yesTV's acquired programming more popular but it serves more key markets. Not saying yesTV is wrong to do this, they have every right to buy and broadcast this programming but their audience and revenue growth is going to come at the expense of smaller networks.

Last edited by TVViewer; 08-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.

I wonder if CTS will run into a trademark dispute with YES Network in the states.
    Television channels all over the world use the Yes TV or Yes brand. I highly doubt they would launch the network without ensuring the name is available for use.

Oddly enough, I have seen many ads for YEStv on CHCH

Oddly enough, I have seen many ads for YEStv on CHCH
    Independent broadcasters promoting each other... They did that back in 2001-2002 when 30+ digital specialties launched in Canada, banded together for a free preview, etc.

OK, thing I find weird, Channel Zero received a check of few millions from the sale of CJNT-DT by Rogers. They have more money to spend on program acquisition than a religious station.

After CHCH took over SunTV programming, it acted as a hub for independent stations CHEK Victoria and CIIT Winnipeg (branded Joytv, became 100% religious HopeTV). CHNU Fraser Valley (Joytv serving Vancouver & Victoria) couldn't mimic CIII and had to rely on religious programming due to proximity with CHEK...

So, fall 2014, CHCH gives up a few shows to CTS, which rebrands as YesTV but remains religious during daytime, CHEK taps into CTS for primetime shows (and have an opportunity to rebrand from their old E! affiliate days) while CHNU and CIIT remains religious 100%... I mean, CTS (Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary), HopeTV (Winnipeg) and Joytv (Vancouver) could be better partners considering their daytime programming.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Believe it or not Channel Zero has quite a bit of money through many of their ventures. As I've said many times, Primetime has never really been their focus with CHCH since they bought them. Their main focus is the local programming (i.e. News). I live in the Hamilton area and can tell you that most businesses with TV's are tuned to CHCH during the week. They don't spend a lot on primetime but they also don't bleed money either. Even if CHCH or YEStv has major hits in primetime, if the ratings are high enough, a larger network like CTV, Global or City is going to scoop them up. It use to happen to CHCH when they were under WIC.

Don't forget professional wrestler Daniel Bryan uses that phrase as well. I've rarely watched CTS in the past.

Huh, just figured out Citytv lost Judge Judy to YesTV... According to their website and advanced listings, it's scheduled weeknights at 6pm, so there's no simsub opportunity (all other US stations airs news at that time). CHEK also picked up Judy, at 4pm.

Citytv also lost syndicated "Katie", which was cancelled and reran during the summer. These timeslots will be replaced with back-to-back Family Feud, and back-to-back Celebrity Name Game.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    OK, thing I find weird, Channel Zero received a check of few millions from the sale of CJNT-DT by Rogers. They have more money to spend on program acquisition than a religious station.

I'm not sure why you think Channel Zero has more money than Crossroads, but it doesn't matter how much money Channel Zero has, what matters is how much they can make from the programming they buy and how much CHCH benefits from the programming. The fact that Channel Zero only has access to the Ontario makes how much money they have to buy programming irreverent, they can't buy expensive shows because how much success they have with these shows is limited to their coverage.

For Crossroads, not only do they have access to the 4 largest PPM markets (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton) but they also have more to benefit from buying this programming than CHCH. CHCH has no local news competition, the impact this programming will have to the rest of the CHCH schedule is minimal, but for Crossroads, it's a huge platform to bring viewers to their channel and promote their Christian programming and charities. This is a company that buys 30 minutes of daytime airtime on a national network so their program can reach a larger audience, so buying popular shows that appeal to their target audience fits in with this strategy.

Looks like at least one Christian Crossroads program will be joining CHEK this fall, Crossroads/YesTV flagship program 100 Huntley Street will be airing weekdays at 7:00AM on CHEK starting in September. 100 Huntley Street will be part of a 3 hour Christian paid programming block on CHEK weekdays from 6:30AM to 9:30AM, although 100 Huntley Street is the only program that originates from Crossroads

In addition to airing on CHEK and the YesTV stations in Toronto/Hamilton, Calgary, and Edmonton, 100 Huntley Street will continue to air on Global across the country at 9:30AM weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Huh, just figured out Citytv lost Judge Judy to YesTV... According to their website and advanced listings, it's scheduled weeknights at 6pm, so there's no simsub opportunity (all other US stations airs news at that time). .
    There is actually a major simulcast opportunity, the FOX Buffalo affiliate WUTV that serves Toronto. They air the show at 6:30PM & 7:00PM, so Yes TV will get the simulcast at 6:30PM. WUTV solicits some advertising for the Toronto market so they typically go out of their way to ensure their syndicated programming does not air in simulcast with Canadian stations by scheduling their programs in time slots Canadian stations wont be able to schedule them in, that's why they air a court show in early primetime, to escape the Citytv simulcast. However they can't really do much with Yes TV as Yes TV doesn't have newscasts so unless they move the show to 7:00PM & 7:30PM (and I wouldn't put it past them) they can't escape the Yes TV simulcast as Yes TV can pretty much follow any other scheduling move WUTV makes.

YES (Your Evangelical Station) will air The X Factor UK on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 8pm beginning next week.

However, ITV in the UK airs the series first, on Saturdays and Sundays at 3pm EST, so I won't be waiting for the delayed YES TV broadcasts.

I assume that YES TV won't be showing the five, special X Factor UK episodes that ITV2 is showing this week as a tease for the new season (like Cheryl Cole Looks Back), but they should all eventually be available online. The ITV website (and elsewhere online) has the two special episodes that already aired, available for streaming right now (geo-blocked, but beatable), so the rest will obviously follow (and elsewhere online, as usual).

AXS TV in the US will air the regular X Factor UK episodes on Sundays and Mondays (only about 24 hours after the UK airings), so once again, the Americans are faster than we are.

It also appears that YES TV won't be showing the X Factor UK after show series called The Xtra Factor (behind the scenes, interviews, etc.), which is an hour-long show that follows each regular X Factor UK episode (airs on ITV2 in the UK). So, online streaming will once again be necessary for those craving the entire experience. I don't know if AXS TV in the US will carry The Xtra Factor (it's not currently listed by Zap2It), but that would also be an oversight if it wasn't being shown.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/...oO7juRZL3XJU5p
    [X Factor UK Specials article]
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-27-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

I noticed that the OTA signal for YesTv (36.1) is surround stereo, but the X Factor broadcast on YesTV isn't using the surround sound audio portion (or perhaps just a tiny, tiny bit).

However, my Internet file of the same episode uses full surround for any added music during the auditions and other sections of the episode. The actual auditions don't use surround, but once the external music is added (to the beginning or ending of the auditions), the surround kicks in and it definitely adds to the experience.

I don't know why I can't get surround sound for The X Factor episode from YesTV, even though all of the commercials and every other OTA channel I checked are using my surround speakers.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 09-02-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.