Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

City adds America's Next Top Model, shelves Wipeout

Seems like Bell Media has dumped the reality series (which previously aired on CTV Two then M3, since burned off on FashionTelevision). The previous cycle did not finish airing in its entirety on CTV Two last fall, but was later moved to M3.

Rogers has quietly picked it up for broadcast on City, marking its return to the network for the first time since being bought by their current owners.

The upcoming cycle (Cycle 21) premieres next Monday, August 18 at 9:00pm on The CW and encores will also air on Fridays at 9:00pm through late September. The first airing on City will be in simulcast on Friday, August 22 at 9:00pm, as per the advanced listings on both Zap2it and schedule listed on City's website.

At some point, there will be scheduling conflicts come September.
    - Package Deal is scheduled to return with the season premiere on September 12 at 9:00pm, and then The Middle (post-release) follows a couple of weeks later on September 26 at 9:30pm. Unless they push back Package Deal to return together with The Middle on the 26th.
    - FOX reality series Utopia will air on Friday nights for at least six weeks, likely pre-empting Top Model. Presumably, once that's done, Top Model will return, although knowing City, they'll probably be playing catch-up and end up running episodes weeks behind The CW, that it makes the simulcast seem rather pointless (like their current Sunday evening broadcasts of the now cancelled NBC drama Crisis).

If there's one thing where City shows consistency, it's picking up low-rated reality shows dropped by other networks, then shelving them.

You may recall last year that City picked up the rights to the ABC game show/reality competition Wipeout (which previously aired on Global). They never got to finish airing all the episodes from last summer, so it seems that they either burned off the remaining ones over the past few weeks (if the listings on their site is any indication) even though they aired at the same time as ABC. Or they aired only a select number of this season's episodes in simulcast and then simply stopped. Whereas ABC premiered the season back on June 22, City did not start until three weeks later around mid-July, and only kept it on for three weeks before scrapping it for more Murdoch Mysteries reruns as of this month.
    Last edited by lostjon; 08-11-2014 at 11:12 PM.

When I quickly checked (via OTA) the City(TV) Wipeout episodes, I noticed that they were the older S6 episodes, so no simsubs.
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    When I quickly checked (via OTA) the City(TV) Wipeout episodes, I noticed that they were the older S6 episodes, so no simsubs.
    So my original suspicions were correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post

You may recall last year that City picked up the rights to the ABC game show/reality competition Wipeout (which previously aired on Global). They never got to finish airing all the episodes from last summer, so it seems that they either burned off the remaining ones over the past few weeks (if the listings on their site is any indication) even though they aired at the same time as ABC. Or they aired only a select number of this season's episodes in simulcast and then simply stopped. Whereas ABC premiered the season back on June 22, City did not start until three weeks later around mid-July, and only kept it on for three weeks before scrapping it for more Murdoch Mysteries reruns as of this month.
    Kind of ironic that after the awful experience they had picking up one low rated reality show dropped by another network they are now picking up an even lower rated reality show from an even lower rated network.

They are actually picking up a CW show that was pulled by CTV TWO, moved to M3, pulled by M3, and burned off on FASHION TELEVISION before being dropped entirely.

When a show doesn't meet the ratings standards of CTV Two, let alone the ratings standards for M3, it is not a show you should pursue picking up. I understand they are experiencing challenges when it comes to finding enough programming to fill their schedule and are going after less expensive shows, but a Fashion Television burn off? Seriously?

I guess one benefit is that it is probably one of the most female skewing shows on television, so it does fit in with the rest of City's weeknight lineup which skews very female. However, the fact that it fits in with the rest of their lineup doesn't change the fact that it's a show barely registering in the ratings and was dropped by Bell Media after doing horrible on CTV Two and M3, and then being burned off on Fashion Television.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

If advanced listings are any indication, it looks like City is moving America's Next Top Model to Saturday afternoons at 1:00pm starting September 13. This is to make room for the season premiere of Package Deal, as well as the Friday installments of the new FOX reality show Utopia, both of which begin on September 12. Speaking of Package Deal, it's also been given a late afternoon timeslot alongside the now cancelled Canadian sitcom Seed on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    This is to make room for the season premiere of Package Deal, as well as the Friday installments of the new FOX reality show Utopia, both of which begin on September 12.
    It's hard to see how Package Deal isn't getting burned off here. Unlike someone here I don't consider Friday nights a "death slot" as shows can do well on Fridays, but they are giving Package Deal a lead-out that already does absolutely terrible (it's the lowest rated U.S. comedy on City's schedule), and then giving it a new untested copycat reality show that had zero buzz and most were predicting to do horrible (and the show premiered with under 270,000 viewers in Canada for City Sunday night, and while I don't have the ratings for last night's second episode yet, it dropped a whopping 55% from the premiere over on FOX in the U.S.) Package Deal was already performing very poorly and now it is being sandwiched in-between what will probably be the two lowest rated shows on City's primetime schedule this fall.

Saturday nights may be a death slot for most networks, but now City has hockey, and even though it appears they will be airing less popular games than CBC, it will still perform dramatically better than City's Friday night programming, and since they are only airing one game on City Saturday nights, they could have easily scheduled Package Deal for the 10:00PM ET (or 10:30PM) slot on City Saturday nights. If Package Deal still did poorly after Hockey Night in Canada they could cancel it knowing they did their best to give it a strong lead-in instead of doing what they are doing now, pretty much leaving the show to die with zero lead-in or lead-out support. It's not like they have anything better to air in the slot, why waste the Saturday 10:00PM post-Hockey Night in Canada slot on cancon filler when it could be used for new episodes of an original comedy? They are the worst at strategic scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's hard to see how Package Deal isn't getting burned off here. Unlike someone here I don't consider Friday nights a "death slot" as shows can do well on Fridays, but they are giving Package Deal a lead-out that already does absolutely terrible (it's the lowest rated U.S. comedy on City's schedule), and then giving it a new untested copycat reality show that had zero buzz and most were predicting to do horrible (and the show premiered with under 270,000 viewers in Canada for City Sunday night
    I reluctantly have to agree with you about Citytv's poor scheduling decision.

First, there's like nothing on this week : Under the Dome, Extant, Unforgettable, Reckless, are coming to an end. New seasons begin next tuesday for Fox, the following week for the other networks, but Package Deal was scheduled this friday. The timing sucks, and it runs against Orphan Black on CTV, which is so much better, and reruns of Hawaii 5-0, both of which are absent from the Numeris Top 30.

No buzz. I watch BT Montreal every morning and I haven't seen one single promo for Package Deal, but I saw promos for Black-ish all summer long...
    It would have make better sense to keep Top Model in simulcast with the rerun on The CW and hold Package Deal for october, while Fox will have schedule holes due to baseball and the first cancellations of the season has occur.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Package Deal is not one of the 7 shows featured on the Citytv.com home page. They do however feature ANTM and list the show as airing Fridays at 9:00PM (the time slot for Package Deal).

The schedule on the fall preview page still has the series scheduled for Fridays at 8:00PM.

[QUOTE=InMontreal;66980]

First, there's like nothing on this week
    Debuting shows before the start of the season is fine as long as you have some hits to promote them (lots of networks have done this), but debuting the second season of a show that really struggled to do well in its first season with no solid lead-in or lead-out is not. Its lead-out for the premiere is non-simulcast repeats of a show that does horrible with new episodes in simulcast.

No buzz. I watch BT Montreal every morning and I haven't seen one single promo for Package Deal, but I saw promos for Black-ish all summer long...

To be fair, Breakfast Television Toronto did interview the cast of Package Deal last week to promote the new season.

BT Montreal is a massive ratings failure ranking as the lowest rated morning show in Montreal (and lowest audience share of any BT in Canada) and actually losing viewers as the other local morning show gains thousands of viewers, so I don't see how promoting Package Deal during a show that almost doesn't even register in the ratings is going to have any impact, but if it truly doesn't receive any promos throughout a 3 hour broadcast (which is surprising if true) that's a pretty good indication that it's not being promoted well elsewhere like primetime.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 09-13-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Some of the Package Deal cast members were interviewed on EP Daily (a ratings juggernaut :anonymous:), and I assume that the S2 episodes will also be available on the City website.

EDIT: As of 5:11pm EST on Saturday, Package Deal still isn't available for streaming on the City website, even though the pirates have already uploaded the new episode to various other websites.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 09-13-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added the EDIT
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.