Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

New Streaming Service To Deliver The Most Popular Content This Fall!!

SHOMI WHAT I'M MISSING: NEW STREAMING SERVICE TO DELIVER SUPERIOR USER EXPERIENCE AND MOST POPULAR CONTENT TO CANADIANS THIS FALL

Tired of the endless scrolling? Team of entertainment experts hand pick recommendations for you

Tired of watching outdated series? More than 11,000 hours of past seasons of the most popular TV shows

TORONTO/CALGARY, August 26, 2014 – shomi, a new subscription video-on-demand service, ups the ante in entertainment with the latest, most exclusive shows and selections personalized for you. Available initially on tablet, mobile, online, Xbox 360 and set top boxes, shomi will launch in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers. shomi will be available starting the first week of November at a suggested retail price of $8.99 per month.

shomi was created for entertainment lovers by entertainment lovers. It features prior seasons of the most popular shows on TV today, iconic series from the past, cult-classic and fan-favourite films, as well as a library of family-friendly kids programming. With exclusive past-season streaming rights to titles – such as Modern Family, Sons of Anarchy, Sleepy Hollow, Shameless, 2 Broke Girls, Vikings, New Girl, 24: Live Another Day, Chicago Fire, The Strain, and American Horror Story – along with first-window premieres, it’s more bang, less blah. shomi combines a team of programming experts with algorithmic technology to help you pick what you actually want to watch – whether it’s finding hidden gems, rediscovering old favourites, or remembering why you fell in love with a title in the first place.

“We’ve taken the time to talk with Canadians to find out what they want and to create an unbelievable user experience,” said Keith Pelley, President, Rogers Media. “They told us loud and clear – they want all the past seasons of the most popular, current TV shows and they want it to be easy. shomi takes the guesswork out of finding what to watch, acting like a new-age video clerk serving up all the best content based on individual viewing habits.”

“We keenly understand the media landscape is rapidly changing and that viewers are looking for greater flexibility when it comes to what they watch and how they watch it,” said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media. “shomi is our first step into the new world of content streaming and we’re so pleased to be able to bring this made in Canada service to the market.”

shomi the numbers (and this is just at launch, with much more exciting content to come!):

• 14,000 episodes and titles
    • 11,000 hours of TV shows
    • 1,200 movies
    • 340 TV series
    • 30% of content is Canadian, including TV shows and classic films

Enhanced features include trailers and factoids for movie titles to help customers make their selections, while a visually appealing interface delivers a theatrical experience. With up to six profiles per account, shomi offers a great solution for the connected home, as customers can watch on two devices and their set top boxes – all at the same time.

Additional details about the product, programming, and distribution will be announced in the coming weeks.

shomi is a joint venture owned equally by Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications. shomi will operate as a standalone entity with its own management structure.

shomi Social Media
    Like shomi at
    Facebook.com/shomicanada
    Follow shomi on Twitter
    @shomicanada
    Follow shomi on Instagram
    @shomicanada
    Follow shomi on
    Google Plus +shomicanada
    Subscribe to shomi on
    YouTube @shomicanada

About shomi
    shomi is the only subscription video-on-demand service created for entertainment lovers by entertainment lovers, and makes getting video content nearly as enjoyable as watching it. Curated by people who love popcorn and magic, shomi is a video entertainment concierge that offers recommendations from real people because no computer will ever “get” movies and TV like a human does. Now shomi something good to watch. shomi is a joint venture owned equally by Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-26-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Note: although Shomi is launching exclusively to Rogers, Shaw, and Shaw Direct customers. shomi will not replace the Global Go or HISTORY Go service so you will still be able to log-in with your subscriber info to catch live streaming and full season catch up of your favorite Global and HISTORY shows if you don't want to pay the $8.99 a month or don't subscribe to Shaw or Rogers. Also they are willing to make an agreement with other cable companies so their customers have the ability to access the service as well.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Note: although Shomi is launching exclusively to Rogers, Shaw, and Shaw Direct customers
    Rogers and Shaw : Redefining Over-The-Top (OTT) subscription for canadians : stick with cable !

According to a Cartt article, the upcoming Bellflix is expected to launch in january. That is why there's no Bell Media (CTV, M3, MTV, Space, Bravo!, Comedy) content offered in Shomi.

I suspect Shomi has no or very little french-language content, which will be one of Bellflix selling point.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 08-26-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Any online service that charges a monthly subscription fee, eventually needs ORIGINAL content to stand out from the crowd. At least that's what Netflix does so well.

However, since Shomi is only available to Shaw/Rogers TV or Internet subscribers (at least for now), it can be seen as yet another rerun channel (hello, Mystery) that still manages to make a profit.

If Shomi remains as a strictly online VOD service for reruns (with a larger library of titles than the free-with-subscription Shaw/Rogers online offerings), its success will depend upon how well Rogers and Shaw market it as a legal alternative to piracy, while also finding ways to ignore or increase their subscribers' current data caps, without the need for bundling a phone service into the mix.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-26-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typos
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

data caps with shaw are not really a problem they very rarely enforce them

Shomi has inked a deal with Starz i think this is a massive blow to Sc.

Note: although Shomi is launching exclusively to Rogers, Shaw, and Shaw Direct customers. shomi will not replace the Global Go or HISTORY Go service so you will still be able to log-in with your subscriber info to catch live streaming and full season catch up of your favorite Global and HISTORY shows if you don't want to pay the $8.99 a month or don't subscribe to Shaw or Rogers. Also they are willing to make an agreement with other cable companies so their customers have the ability to access the service as well.
    At launch shomi will not be available to Shaw Direct customers who do not subscribe to Shaw internet or Rogers internet. For more info on how to subscribe to Shaw internet (available in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba) click here, for more info on how to subscribe to Rogers internet (available in Ontario and the Maritimes) click here

Canadians who don't subscribe to Shaw internet or Rogers internet but do subscribe to Shaw cable or Rogers cable will be able to access shomi at launch

At launch shomi will not be available to Shaw Direct customers who do not subscribe to Shaw internet or Rogers internet.
    Duh, so explain to me why they talked about it on BT Montreal, where Shaw Direct is, well, was, the only requirement.

It's ridiculous for these bozos to promote a product on the air for a specific market when there's zero chance of getting any subscription since no minimum requirement can be physically met.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Duh, so explain to me why they talked about it on BT Montreal, where Shaw Direct is, well, was, the only requirement.

It's ridiculous for these bozos to promote a product on the air for a specific market when there's zero chance of getting any subscription since no minimum requirement can be physically met.
    I don't know. I did a quick search and found a recent video of BT Montreal promoting shomi's new content deal with Warner Brothers (which will also include the new drama iZombie which will debut exclusively on shomi as opposed to a Canadian television network) and they incorrectly state that shomi will be available to Shaw Direct customers in Montreal at launch, so my guess is they were unaware of this info. Again, Shaw Direct customers in the rest of Canada will be able to access shomi as long as they subscribe to Shaw internet (the prairies & western canada ) or Rogers internet (eastern & atlantic canada)
    Last edited by TVViewer; 11-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.

There's Never Been A Better Time To Be a Shaw Customer!

WITH SHOMI, THERE’S NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO BE A SHAW CUSTOMER

Video streaming service will offer thousands of hours of premium on-demand television and movie programming

Combined with Shaw Go WiFi, Rdio, and a robust suite of TV Everywhere apps, shomi ensures Shaw customers never miss a thing

Shaw Communications is pleased to announce that all Internet and cable customers will be able to access a free beta trial of shomi – the new and highly anticipated subscription video-on-demand service – available November 4.

Available for use on select tablets and mobile devices, online, and on set top boxes, shomi provides access to the most popular movies and TV shows, while enhancing the overall value for Shaw’s Internet and cable subscriber base across Western Canada. Shaw customers will be given a one month free trial of shomi, with Shaw Internet customers getting an additional two months access through the shomi app and website. shomi will also be coming soon to Xbox 360 and Chromecast

“Introducing shomi underscores our desire to give our customers access to the best content and services, when and where they need them,” said Chris Kucharski, Senior Vice-President, Consumer, Shaw Communications. “With its vast selection of titles and game-changing functionality, shomi will provide our customers with yet another cutting-edge high-value service in addition to Shaw Go WiFi, Rdio and our TV Everywhere library of content apps.”

With its slick, visually appealing interface and the ability to assign six user profiles per account, shomi will give customers unlimited access to the most iconic TV shows from past years, cult-classic and fan-favourite films as well as exclusive titles and original content. Once the trial has concluded, Shaw Internet and cable customers can enjoy shomi for $8.99 a month.

As an added benefit, Shaw Internet and cable customers will be able to view shomi content through the use of Shaw’s industry-leading Shaw Go WiFi service, Canada’s largest WiFi network of more than 45,000 WiFi locations in Western Canada. A full list of locations is available at
    www.shaw.ca/wifi/ or by downloading the Shaw Go WiFi Finder App.

Last edited by TVViewer; 11-03-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Rogers cable and Rogers internet customers will also get a free month long trial of shomi. In addition, if you are a Rogers internet customer who subscribes to Rogers Hybrid Fibre 50 and 60, Rogers Extreme Internet or anything above, your shomi free trial lasts until March 31 2015!

More about shomi:

Created for entertainment lovers by entertainment lovers, shomi recently secured content deals with Hollywood and international studios, including Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution, NBC Universal, CBS Studios,
    Starz Digital Media, Warner Bros. International Television, BBC Worldwide North America, and Sony Pictures Television with more to come, and will include nearly 12,000 hours of content in its first year. shomi features prior seasons of the most popular shows on TV today, iconic series from the past, cult-classic and fan-favourite films, as well as a library of family-friendly kids programming. Grab a big bucket of popcorn and get ready for some magic with exclusive past-season streaming rights to current hit TV shows not available on any other streaming service in Canada

Enhanced features on shomi include Rotten Tomatoes ratings for movie titles, along with trailers and factoids, to help customers make their selections, while an exceptional user interface delivers a unique theatrical experience. Kids can easily choose something great to watch from a highly visual interface and have the ability to create their own profiles with fun avatars. With the ability to have up to six profiles per account, shomi offers a great solution for the connected family, as customers can watch on two devices and their set top boxes at the same time.

shomi is available in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or cable customers, while conversations continue with other BDUs.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 12-16-2014 at 07:59 PM.

At least BT Montreal mentioned that Shomi isn't available in Quebec during the beta testing.

http://www.btmontreal.ca/videos/3891405233001/
    [Shomi Montreal in the future?]

It would be nice if Canada's streaming services would air the unaired, cancelled TV series content. So, if a series was suddenly cancelled, fans of that series could continue to watch the unaired episodes on Shomi or Bell's service. Unfortunately, if a series wasn't popular enough to survive, the demand for the unaired episodes wouldn't be that high. Unaired episodes are often released to iTunes, Amazon.com (either through streaming and/or MOD DVDs), and the originating networks' websites, but not always ... there are still gaps that need to be filled. I can watch most of the unaired content for free online, but I often have to search for it.

Australia and New Zealand TV stations are desperate for content, so they tend to continue airing cancelled US TV series (but they also tend to air some US content much later than Canada does). Whether it's the Michael J. Fox cancelled series, or Manhattan Love Story (currently airing on New Zealand TV and online), it's nice to know that cancelled TV shows can live on, even if the originating networks don't make the unaired episodes available online (for purchase or for free streaming).

ABC has decided to put the unaired Manhattan Love Story and Selfie episodes on the ABC website and Hulu (Hulu Plus subscribers get them 1 week ahead of Hulu). One episode per week of each series will be released.

Since ABC forces cord cutters to wait an extra week before fresh content can be viewed on the ABC website, I'll still be using the New Zealand website to stream Manhattan Love Story (episode 8 airs this Wednesday - it's appropriately the Thanksgiving episode) ... but it's still nice to have multiple options.

ABC seems to be the best at releasing its unaired episodes to the online market, whereas the other US networks tend to drag their feet.

http://www.entertainmentrocks.com/20...eaded-to-hulu/
    [unaired episodes to air online]

New Edit: All 11 episodes of MLStory are now free on Hulu (9 episodes are currently free on ABC.com; the other two will probably be added soon).
    Last edited by PokerFace; 12-11-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added the New Edit

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/tech...-to-ask-shomi/
    [Mar 12, 2015 - shomi interview]

shomi’s head of content and programming Marni Shulman:

"The beta will last until such time as we feel we’ve gotten it right and that we’ve answered the questions that we need to answer and we are providing the service that our customers want."

"The bottom line is that content is king and people are consuming it in different ways. If the pattern continues as it is right now where each [shomi, CraveTV, etc.] of the services has a very unique exclusive offering, it would make sense that you would go to the one that provides you with what you’re looking for. Maybe that includes a cable package. I don’t know, but it’s going to bear out one way or the other."
    ------

It's very early in the game, but 2016 will be a very interesting year for shomi and CraveTV. Perhaps the two services will combine to form a new entity called ShaveTV ... Don't cut the cord, just Shave it a bit.

You nailed that by a whisker .

May 27, 2015 | Press Releases

Make Some Room, Canada. We’re Moving In! shomi is Coming to All Canadians this Summer

– New members get one month free when they subscribe to shomi –

TORONTO (May 27, 2015) – Canada, make room on your couch and time in your schedule – shomi™ is moving in! Following a successful beta launch in November 2014 to Rogers and Shaw Internet or cable customers, shomi is now coming to all Canadians across the country this summer! We’re moving in and unpacking great stuff to watch – including exclusive series not available on other streaming services, celebrated Canadian content, human-curated collections, plus fun kids and family programming. And we know it’s not just about the living room TV experience: shomi is accessible on the platforms Canadians want – tablet, mobile, online, Xbox 360, Apple TV, Chromecast, as well as set-top boxes for Rogers and Shaw TV subscribers; the service is also on offer to other distributors.

Source and continue reading : http://shomimedia.com/news-feed/pres...canadians-this

Shomi becomes Showus ... Welcome to the real world.

Alright, I'm interested, as long as they have a stable of original content, because I can only handle so much overlap.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Empire is now a shomi exclusive in Canada, although you can still watch it on Fox via traditional TV.

http://canada.onlinenigeria.com/ente...-on-shomi.html
    [shomi Empire]

Fans of the hip-hop soap opera "Empire" will soon have to look elsewhere to watch it in Canada as the TV series is being dropped from its prime-time TV slot and is moving to Shomi.

The streaming video service says it has acquired the exclusive Canadian rights for the final half of the show's second season, which begins airing March 30 on Fox.

The deal was made after "Empire" was dropped by Canadian television network City, which carried the show last fall.

Shomi says each episode will be available within 24 hours after its original U.S. airing. Canadians will still be able to catch the series on Wednesday nights through the Fox network feed offered by their cable or satellite provider or via an over-the-air antenna.

It's the latest — and most high-profile — migration of a buzzy U.S. network TV show to a Canadian streaming service.

Last summer, "Fresh Off the Boat" took up residence on Shomi when it failed to find broadcaster support in Canada, and "Scandal" recently landed on Netflix Canada when it was bumped from City's TV schedule.

Read more: http://canada.onlinenigeria.com/ente...#ixzz4119jKEic
    Last edited by PokerFace; 02-23-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: changed font to verdana