Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Bell streaming service

Does anyone know when it will launch and who will be able to use it what i mean is will it be for all or limited to Bell dish and internet subs like Shomi is.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Does anyone know when it will launch and who will be able to use it what i mean is will it be for all or limited to Bell dish and internet subs like Shomi is.
    Hi Mr. "Does anyone know". Bell said at the CRTC hearings their Bellflix service is expected to launch next january.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Hi Mr. "Does anyone know". Bell said at the CRTC hearings their Bellflix service is expected to launch next january.
    I work all day so i did not have time to just stay hom and watch the hearings.

It will launch sometime around January 2015 and just like shomi it will be subscriber authenticated. So it wont be available for everyone.

However, just like shomi, Bell does want to make agreements with other BDU's to offer the new Bell service to their customers as well. Bell's subscriber base alone is not large enough to support a service like this long term. Rogers is the dominant cable provider in Ontario, they would be missing out on millions of subscriptions with no agreement with Rogers, and no agreement with Shaw is even worse since Shaw is the dominant provider in Western Canada where Bell satellite is the only option as Bell Fibe is not available. It's a win-win for Bell to make an agreement to offer shomi to their customers in exchange for an agreement for Rogers and Shaw to offer the Bell service to their customers. Look at what happened with CTV Go, Shaw and Shaw Direct were the first major non-Bell providers to offer CTV Go to their customers, and in exchange Bell offered Global Go to their customers.

It still makes absolutely zero sense to ever offer these services to cord cutters. They make up a minority so small, and if it comes to the point where cord cutters are no longer the minority, I think the concern for Bell/Rogers/Shaw will be how they don't have these people buying their cable/satellite/internet services as opposed to not reaching them with shomi and Bellflix. No matter what the business, there is always going to be a group of people who will refuse to pay for the service and opt for something cheaper. There is a group of people who illegal download instead of subscribing to Netflix and you don't see Netflix slashing the price of their service just to get the illegal downloaders as a customer. Services like shomi are no different, if these companies are only going to get $8.99 a month from a cord cutter as opposed to $8.99 a month PLUS a TV and/or internet (or commercial agreement from other BDU) subscription from the vast majority of Canadians it makes zero sense to make the service available to cord cutters.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I work all day so i did not have time to just stay hom and watch the hearings.
    There is nothing wrong with asking questions. Just ignore those rude comments from him (that's just his personality, I'm not even sure if he knows they are rude)

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It will launch sometime around January 2015 and just like shomi it will be subscriber authenticated. So it wont be available for everyone.

However, just like shomi, Bell does want to make agreements with other BDU's to offer the new Bell service to their customers as well. Bell's subscriber base alone is not large enough to support a service like this long term. Rogers is the dominant cable provider in Ontario, they would be missing out on millions of subscriptions with no agreement with Rogers, and no agreement with Shaw is even worse since Shaw is the dominant provider in Western Canada where Bell satellite is the only option as Bell Fibe is not available. It's a win-win for Bell to make an agreement to offer shomi to their customers in exchange for an agreement for Rogers and Shaw to offer the Bell service to their customers. Look at what happened with CTV Go, Shaw and Shaw Direct were the first major non-Bell providers to offer CTV Go to their customers, and in exchange Bell offered Global Go to their customers.

It still makes absolutely zero sense to ever offer these services to cord cutters. They make up a minority so small, and if it comes to the point where cord cutters are no longer the minority, I think the concern for Bell/Rogers/Shaw will be how they don't have these people buying their cable/satellite/internet services as opposed to not reaching them with shomi and Bellflix. No matter what the business, there is always going to be a group of people who will refuse to pay for the service and opt for something cheaper. There is a group of people who illegal download instead of subscribing to Netflix and you don't see Netflix slashing the price of their service just to get the illegal downloaders as a customer. Services like shomi are no different, if these companies are only going to get $8.99 a month from a cord cutter as opposed to $8.99 a month PLUS a TV and/or internet (or commercial agreement from other BDU) subscription from the vast majority of Canadians it makes zero sense to make the service available to cord cutters.
    I know a couple cord cuters and they take great pride in downloading shows etc thy tell me why should i have to pay for it so yes to offer services like Shomi to m make no sense.
    Last edited by ottawasnowdog; 10-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.

I know a couple cord cuters and they take great pride in downloading shows etc thy tell me why should i have to pay for it so yes to offer services like Shomi to m make no sense.
    Exactly. There are always going to be some people who think like that. Some people drink tap water instead of buying bottled water, some people buy the store band product instead of the superior brand name, some people are just going to illegal download instead of subscribing to Netflix, and some people are only going to buy Netflix instead of paying for shomi and/or the Bell service + cable/satellite/internet subscription.

Since Netflix is cheap enough already, lowering its price isn't necessary. And although you can get Netflix as an Internet subscriber of any ISP, the problem with Netflix isn't the price, it's the fact that content can disappear before you get a chance to watch what you want ... and since you are only supposed to stream the content, rather than download it (which also comes in handy if your max speed isn't always able to stream the high quality HD content without running into buffering issues that may occur), I still consider Netflix to be less convenient than standard streaming/downloading using Google searches.

There are many cord cutters using Rogers or Shaw Internet service, so since they will apparently also be able to subscribe to Shomi (even without a TV subscription), I assume that Bell will also do the same thing. So, technically, cord cutters (those not paying for a TV service) are not excluded from the party (or at least don't have to be).

If there were enough Canadians satisfied with watching OTA content, while also supplementing their content choices by simply streaming a few network shows online for free from the Shaw, Rogers and Bell websites, there would be no need to pay for a TV subscription. Rather than feeling any pride, those people would most likely simply be relieved that their simple tastes allowed them to save money.

The "pride" factor often comes into play when a cord cutter notices content that can be bought from iTunes, but is also available for free elsewhere. If you want to pay for a season pass of some TV series that you could stream for free from a Shaw, Global or Rogers website, go ahead, knock yourself out. You might find it more convenient to use iTunes, but you're paying for that privilege. Some people might prefer to wait for the free DVDs/Blu-rays from their local libraries to be made available, but others prefer to buy them from Amazon, etc.

When it comes to content choices, most of us have several options that allow us to consume more content than we would ever be able to afford, or even bother to watch if we actually had to pay for it.

To allow one pay model to thrive above all others is not a good thing. If you cut the cable cord because you are not happy with the way things are being handled, you might be proud of yourself for freeing yourself from the puppet strings of the cable/satellite middlemen, but if you fail to find alternative ways to watch the content you truly crave, you will feel like a failure.

Shomi and other future Canadian imitators need an audience to thrive. Nobody can force you to use them, just like nobody can force you to watch Netflix content.

At this moment in time, we are basically free to "rape" the Internet. The password is 123456; you don't have to use that password, but there will always be people trying to convince you that you're an idiot if you don't. If the password temporarily changes, it's eventually reset back to 123456.

Shomi and cable/satellite services like them, may not be specially catered towards the current cord cutters, but they are designed to reduce the bleeding by making it less likely that the current TV subscribers will become future cord cutters. Once that fails, the TV subscribers will then be coerced into becoming Internet TV subscribers. Coercion won't be necessary if the 123456 password no longer works, or at least triggers an alarm that always alerts the authorities.

Enter password: 123456

RED ALERT ... RED ALERT

Password Reset: Shomi

Thank You for choosing Shomi. Resistance is futile.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 10-05-2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: typo
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

It's now official. Cord cutters won't be able to subscribe to Bell's streaming service, to be called Cravetv (due to launch this month and will require a TV subscription). I like the fact that Bell wants to play this differently than Shomi. It will now be even more interesting to see how Cravetv does against Shomi. As long as Cravetv's exclusives eventually find their way to other sources, it shouldn't get in my way of consuming the content, even if I remain a cord cutter.

The Internet ... still powered by piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    It's now official. Cord cutters won't be able to subscribe to Bell's streaming service, to be called Cravetv
    I hope this "cravetv" name is a joke... because history...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICraveTV
    Last edited by InMontreal; 12-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Now I know why the name Cravetv sounded so familiar.

One of the nice things about Cravetv is that even the "low-end" basic-only package (even "skinny-basic") TV subscriber can still subscribe to Cravetv (containing content that might not be part of a subscriber's package). It will be interesting to see what the price is, and also if the basic-only package subscribers of Rogers and Shaw will also have the option to subscribe to Cravetv (after the deals are completed).

Cravetv will only cost $4/month. That's good bang-for-the-buck because you can simply subscribe to basic and then once you add Cravetv, you get tonnes of content (both old and new) that you normally wouldn't be able to watch (unless you used the Internet) ... all without the need to worry about your data cap (if you use your set-top box).

Other than the fact that you need a TV subscription, I'd rather have Cravetv than Shomi. I don't need either service, but if I had Bell's Fibe TV service, I would certainly add Cravetv.

For folks who don't use the Internet, Cravetv is almost a must-have add-on. Now I sound like a shill for Bell.

http://info.cravetv.ca/

About 18 months ago, I remember being a little perplexed at why the original 1960s Star Trek series was removed from Space while they continued showing other later ST series. But I thought it might be a "how will they miss it if it never goes away?" situation, and a year or two later they would advertise it was returning to the line-up. I was sort of correct, as it is pointed out as being available in one of the CraveTV ads.
    http://www.space.ca/article/cravetv
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 12-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.