Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Bell Media and CBS Corporation Announce Agreement for SHOWTIME® in Canada

Bell Media and CBS Corporation Announce Long-Term Content Licensing and Trademark Agreement for SHOWTIME® in Canada

– For the first time ever, the SHOWTIME brand comes to Canada –
    – Bell Media’s streaming service, CraveTV, to imminently launch new SHOWTIME Collection featuring hundreds of hours of SHOWTIME series, specials, and documentaries –
    –New SHOWTIME-branded programming block to debut on Bell Media’s Pay TV service,
    The Movie Network –
    January 29, 2015

TORONTO and LOS ANGELES (January 29, 2015) – Bell Media, Canada’s premier multimedia company, and CBS Corporation announced today a long-term, content licensing and trademark agreement for SHOWTIME® in Canada. The exclusive, landmark deal will bring the SHOWTIME brand to Canada for the first time, with hundreds of hours of past, present, and future SHOWTIME programming being made available across Bell Media platforms in English and French, including its new premium TV streaming service, CraveTV, as well as its leading pay television service, The Movie Network (TMN).

Showtime Collection

The agreement marks a significant expansion for SHOWTIME programming in Canada, and builds upon the previous CBS/Bell Media agreement that licensed current SHOWTIME series on pay TV in the country. Over the course of the new agreement, CraveTV and TMN will become Canada’s exclusive home of SHOWTIME-owned first-run programming as well as almost its entire catalog of scripted and unscripted series, documentaries, and specials.

“This new partnership with CBS Corporation illustrates Bell Media’s commitment to provide additional value to subscribers of CraveTV and The Movie Network, while significantly extending CraveTV’s advantage over its streaming competitors,” said Kevin Crull, President, Bell Media. “SHOWTIME has clearly become one of TV’s preeminent brands, and its slate of world-class and award-winning scripted and unscripted series, documentaries, and specials guarantee our subscribers more of the premium TV they want on the platform of their choice.”

“The SHOWTIME premium brand is growing in stature around the world as well as in the U.S., with acclaimed, highly successful programming that will stand out anywhere,” said Armando Nuńez, President and CEO of the CBS Global Distribution Group. “We’re excited to expand this business in a major way with Bell Media and shine a big spotlight on SHOWTIME in Canada.”

“This is a great moment in the history of SHOWTIME, when for the first time our award-winning programming will be distributed and aggressively marketed as one brand beyond the United States,” said David Nevins, President, Showtime Networks Inc. “This ground-breaking new deal was driven by the depth and breadth of our critically acclaimed original series. Bell Media, with their incredible range of platforms, is uniquely positioned to present SHOWTIME to Canadian audiences in whatever form they choose to watch us.”

CraveTV will launch a new SHOWTIME-branded environment imminently, featuring the SHOWTIME Collection with hundreds of hours of exclusive SHOWTIME series and specials. At launch, the collection will exclusively feature the immediate past seasons of current hits like THE AFFAIR, RAY DONOVAN, and PENNY DREADFUL. Also part of CraveTV’s SHOWTIME Collection are big-buzz SHOWTIME originals like MASTERS OF SEX, NURSE JACKIE, BROTHERHOOD, SLEEPER CELL, WEEDS, THE BIG C, THE UNITED STATES OF TARA, PENN & TELLER: BULLSHIT!, and more. The SHOWTIME Collection will also feature the complete star-studded and exclusive library of acclaimed SHOWTIME music, documentary, and comedy specials, all adding up to the addition of nearly 600 assets at launch.

Later in 2015, a SHOWTIME-branded programming block will debut on The Movie Network, providing a home for SHOWTIME content on The Movie Network and promoting the SHOWTIME Collection on CraveTV.

SHOWTIME and its critically acclaimed, award-winning original series continue to make their mark on the cultural landscape. In 2014, the network was honoured with 24 Primetime Emmy® Award nominations, including the most lead actor/actress nominations of any television network (broadcast or cable). SHOWTIME also received nine 2015 Golden Globe Award nominations, the most ever for the network, and was awarded two wins for THE AFFAIR, including Best TV Drama Series. SHOWTIME has grown by 90% over the past decade to cross the 23 million-subscriber mark in the United States. The growing lineup of SHOWTIME programming includes THE AFFAIR, RAY DONOVAN, PENNY DREADFUL, HOUSE OF LIES as well as the upcoming series HAPPYISH. In addition to original series, the premium network features comedy and music specials, provocative documentaries, and hard-hitting sports programming.

And here we go with Bell playing the same "hide the show" game Rogers started. I looked at TMN.ca, couldn't find it, looked at SuperChannel.ca, couldn't find it. I had to do a Google search, turns out Showtime's new series "Happyish" has been dumped to Bell's CraveTV service.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/sta...ning-april-26/

Slow clap. I wouldn't care for a show made for specialty channels like Bravo or Space being dumped to CraveTV, but TMN subscribers pay $15 to $20 a month to get the whole she-bang of HBO and Showtime shows. Now they're expected to subscribe to CraveTV for an additional 4$ per month AND switch to a participating provider (Bell or Telus are the only major brands here), for any or all future Showtime shows they'll launch ? Wow. Bell lacks total respect. Astral would have never pull a "hide the show" stunt like this.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    And here we go with Bell playing the same "hide the show" game Rogers started. I looked at TMN.ca, couldn't find it, looked at SuperChannel.ca, couldn't find it. I had to do a Google search, turns out Showtime's new series "Happyish" has been dumped to Bell's CraveTV service.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/sta...ning-april-26/

Slow clap. I wouldn't care for a show made for specialty channels like Bravo or Space being dumped to CraveTV, but TMN subscribers pay $15 to $20 a month to get the whole she-bang of HBO and Showtime shows. Now they're expected to subscribe to CraveTV for an additional 4$ per month AND switch to a participating provider (Bell or Telus are the only major brands here), for any or all future Showtime shows they'll launch ? Wow. Bell lacks total respect. Astral would have never pull a "hide the show" stunt like this.
    If they put all future shows on Crave there would be outrage.

Outrage? I doubt it. Canada is often late to the party for various debuts, so as long as the big hits like Game of Thrones don't end up as Crave exclusives (or first-window airings), Canadians will politely pay what is necessary.

Showtime already aired the Happyish pilot episode on April 5th, and at least based on the pilot episode, I don't think most Canadians will even watch beyond the pilot episode. It was rather dull (with only a few good moments scattered throughout), although since I'm a fan of the actors involved, I'll keep watching online.

Being locked out of content (unless you're a cable/satellite subscriber) is also a problem that many Americans run into, so if you're a cord cutter, regardless of where you live, you'll still need to turn to the free version of the Internet to get that content at an affordable price (until at least the cost of unlimited Internet rises even higher).
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Outrage? I doubt it. Canada is often late to the party for various debuts, so as long as the big hits like Game of Thrones don't end up as Crave exclusives (or first-window airings), Canadians will politely pay what is necessary.

Showtime already aired the Happyish pilot episode on April 5th, and at least based on the pilot episode, I don't think most Canadians will even watch beyond the pilot episode. It was rather dull (with only a few good moments scattered throughout), although since I'm a fan of the actors involved, I'll keep watching online.

Many are paying $16 and if there told most of the shows will only be on Crave yes people would be upset and likely cancel.
    Being locked out of content (unless you're a cable/satellite subscriber) is also a problem that many Americans run into, so if you're a cord cutter, regardless of where you live, you'll still need to turn to the free version of the Internet to get that content at an affordable price (until at least the cost of unlimited Internet rises even higher).
    Many are paying $16 and if there told most of the shows will only be on Crave yes people would be upset and likely cancel

HBO Canada doesn't carry some of the sports-related content that the "real" HBO airs in the US, so Canadians are used to missing out on content. HBO Canada also airs exclusive content that the American HBO doesn't air, so there will always be gaps in programming no matter where you live.

Showtime content has always been skipped or dumped to other Canadian channels, and since Happyish is only a first-window exclusive, I assume that it will eventually appear on TMN (Showtime Canada) and other Bell-owned channels.

I assume that the Showtime deal occurred simply because CraveTV exists. To stay relevant, CraveTV needs some first-window exclusives, so as long as the exclusives aren't that popular, most people won't even notice, or even care.

CraveTV and Shomi are simply smokescreens designed to keep an addicted Canadian audience entertained in a walled garden. I'm not sure how much longer the garden will be tended and the walls will remain, but since the majority of Canadians seem to be supporting the current system, there's no need to worry about them. Let them keep paying, so that others can remain outside the walls, sampling the other gardens without having to always look over their shoulders. The grass is truly greener on the other side of the wall, but if enough people cancel their services, the wall will fall, and then who knows what will happen next.

The fact that the majority of Canadians still pay for cable/satellite subscriptions, is proof that they're a captive audience.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 04-21-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Warning: I'm not playing with a full deck.